Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 07-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
tusitala
Human being with feelings

Default Newbie question regarding appearance options greyed out

Hi sorry for the newbie question...
In version 4 I used to be able to change some appearance options that i still find now but they are greyed out...why?

I'm referring to, for example, "Set track panel background to custom colours" or "tint media item background" etc etc

I'm creating a theme that i like but i would like to be able to still use these options...i'm a little confused

thanks for your help!

-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
ReaperMadness

It's different now. It's all done from within the 'Theme Tweaker".

Here's one way to make it simple to get to:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164843

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 07-26-2017 at 08:02 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
tusitala

thanks!
i know that, and already started tweaking some colors and fonts and create my theme...what i don't understand is how to reproduce those same exact options that are greyed out...for example have items keep their default colours and only colour the "peaks"
i remember it was very good and easy on the eyes this way...

thanks again for your help
Old 07-27-2017, 04:31 AM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
In version 4 I used to be able to change some appearance options that i still find now but they are greyed out
You still can unless you are using a theme that has disabled them. This would have happened because the theme maker wanted to use V5's optional image-based custom colouring, and the compromise of doing that is it means that those settings no longer have any effect for that theme.

See THIS.

Quote:
I'm creating a theme that i like but i would like to be able to still use these options.
And you absolutely still can. Please try to resist the urge to start out by cloning an existing theme and tweaking it. This will be only one of a thousand ways the maker of that theme's decisions, which will be unknown to you, will trip you up.

Make a blank text file. Change its extension to ".Reaper Theme". Congratulations, you have now made a fully functional Reaper theme, it just doesn't change anything from the fallbacks. From there you can open the theme tweaker and start changing colours and fonts. Once you're bored of that (about 5mins I'd guess!) make an image resource path folder. Stick some images in. Maybe make a (blank!) rtconfig file and start throwing some commands at it. Once that starts making a kind of sense (another 30mins I'd guess) consider writing your first line of WALTER. After a couple of hours you should have a fair outline of what does what. At that point you can start pulling some other themes apart and copypasta a few bits into your theme. When things start getting weird (which will happen), you'll know why it was.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
You still can unless you are using a theme that has disabled them. This would have happened because the theme maker wanted to use V5's optional image-based custom colouring, and the compromise of doing that is it means that those settings no longer have any effect for that theme.

See THIS.

And you absolutely still can. Please try to resist the urge to start out by cloning an existing theme and tweaking it. This will be only one of a thousand ways the maker of that theme's decisions, which will be unknown to you, will trip you up.

Make a blank text file. Change its extension to ".Reaper Theme". Congratulations, you have now made a fully functional Reaper theme, it just doesn't change anything from the fallbacks. From there you can open the theme tweaker and start changing colours and fonts. Once you're bored of that (about 5mins I'd guess!) make an image resource path folder. Stick some images in. Maybe make a (blank!) rtconfig file and start throwing some commands at it. Once that starts making a kind of sense (another 30mins I'd guess) consider writing your first line of WALTER. After a couple of hours you should have a fair outline of what does what. At that point you can start pulling some other themes apart and copypasta a few bits into your theme. When things start getting weird (which will happen), you'll know why it was.

Thank you very much White Tie.
It looks like a quite laborious procedure and i'm not sure i will have the skills and time to do it...but maybe in the future.
I really like the default theme and i find it better then most custom themes i tried...i just started from that one and only wanted to change some colours and some fonts...i managed to do that for some parts of the UI but not all of them and I just wanted to be able not to "tint" midi items and just tint the peaks.
no big deal of course, maybe in the future i will follow your instructions and will be able to do it.

all the best!
-t
Old 07-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
ReaperMadness

Can't you just do that in Options/Preferences/Appearance/ Peaks/Waveforms, etc?

Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Can't you just do that in Options/Preferences/Appearance/ Peaks/Waveforms, etc?

no, as i said, those options are greyed out
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
ReaperMadness

Quote:
no, as i said, those options are greyed out
I guess it depends on the theme. I'm using Lucas' mod of White Tie's 'Imperial' - 'Imperial LCS Mod' - and all options are open.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
tusitala

I'm using the default version 5 one and they are greyed out there
Old 07-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
lucas_LCS

They are greyed when the theme is defined as a Reaper v5 theme.
v5 themes allow themers to control what elements are transparent and the transparency level for coloring purposes and those check boxes unneeded or unwanted.
If it's not defined (as in, not there), Reaper assumes it's an earlier version and the checkboxes are available.

White Tie's original Imperial theme is a version 4 theme so the check boxes are available.

lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote