Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
cliffstevens
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper on OSX freezing at will

While tracking in Reaper [v5.40/64 rev 584a8e (Mar 23 2017)], it freezes for no reason that I can identify. There are no new plugins that I've installed or am using, and the interface is the same I've been using for a while. The only thing I can think of is that I recently upgraded to Sierra (v10.12.5). Could it be that the current version of Reaper has some sort of conflict with this version of OSX? I've trie shutting down all my other applications, and I've been monitoring my Activity Monitor for memory issues, and I see nothing out of the ordinary. Is there any logging that I can turn on, look at or provide here that could help diagnose what is causing my Reaper to continually freeze? Thank you in advance! Cliff
cliffstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
cyrano

Are you using a USB interface?

Apple updated some things in the USB subsystem, IIRC.

Maybe download Etrecheck and post the result here?
Alternatively, are you used to reading logs in Console?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffstevens View Post
While tracking in Reaper [v5.40/64 rev 584a8e (Mar 23 2017)], it freezes for no reason that I can identify. There are no new plugins that I've installed or am using, and the interface is the same I've been using for a while. The only thing I can think of is that I recently upgraded to Sierra (v10.12.5). Could it be that the current version of Reaper has some sort of conflict with this version of OSX? I've trie shutting down all my other applications, and I've been monitoring my Activity Monitor for memory issues, and I see nothing out of the ordinary. Is there any logging that I can turn on, look at or provide here that could help diagnose what is causing my Reaper to continually freeze? Thank you in advance! Cliff
Reaper doesn't conflict with OSX 10.12, at least not for me and not that i know of in general.
Actually, it runs utterly smooth.

- Did you update from 10.11 to 10.12.5 (totally not recommended) or did a clean install of 10.12.5 (highly recommended) ?

- What type of audio interface ?
You are using it's latest driver and you are sure it's OSX 10.12 compatible ?

-What do you exactly mean by "reaper freezes" ?
Please explain in more detail please.

- Which Apple computer you use ?

- Make sure the clock (sample rate of your audio interface) matches Reaper project sample rate.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Shayne

I am having this same problem too, I posted about it recently but have not had anything help it yet. I was thinking of uninstalling Reaper and reinstalling it again but i'm not sure how to do that without losing my settings and songs in my reaper folder. I too was using 10.12.5, just updated to 10.12.6 but the issue remains...
Shayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Reaper doesn't conflict with OSX 10.12, at least not for me and not that i know of in general.
Actually, it runs utterly smooth.

- Did you update from 10.11 to 10.12.5 (totally not recommended) or did a clean install of 10.12.5 (highly recommended) ?
I'm pretty new to OSX. How do you do clean install without having to back everything up and also reinstall every program and data?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
cyrano

Migration Assistant. It's in Applications/Utilities. It allows you to pick from the old disk or TM backup what to restore to the new disk.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #7
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
recommended by whom? does Apple know about that?

and yes, I've upgaded 10.11 to 10.12. prior to upgrade one of my computers sometimes used to power off during DAW mixing and comping (both in Reaper and S1), after the upgrade this didn't happen yet (it's been like half a year).
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
Vasily

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffstevens View Post
While tracking in Reaper [v5.40/64 rev 584a8e (Mar 23 2017)], it freezes for no reason that I can identify. There are no new plugins that I've installed or am using, and the interface is the same I've been using for a while. The only thing I can think of is that I recently upgraded to Sierra (v10.12.5). Could it be that the current version of Reaper has some sort of conflict with this version of OSX?
AFAIK, no. It may be three things:
1. other plugins. are they compatible with Sierra? you may need some updates for them.
2. audio interface Sierra compatibility. do you have same problem with a built-in interface?
3. some kind of broken system installation, as others suggested. try this if you're really desperate, but I would say this is less likely than previous two steps.

and, anyway, I hope, you've learned your lesson and will keep a backup when you do major upgrades? :-)
Vasily is offline   Reply With Quote