Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
Square
Human being with feelings

Default Anything to watch for? Used 18i20

I found a local seller that has a used Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. He's asking about $300. I'm going to try and have a look at it tomorrow. Is there anything special I should look for on a used unit?

He says he bought it new but it didn't come with any software. Says he downloaded everything online. Does that sound right?

How about registering it with Focusrite to get those downloads? Is this going to be possible with a used unit?

Thnx
Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
EpicSounds

"Says he downloaded everything online."

Sounds right

Audio interfaces always have newer drivers online than what comes in the box. I used to work at a store specializing in home studio gear and we'd always tell people to check the website for latest drivers.

Focusrite registration is easy (if I recall correctly), Serial number is on the bottom of the interface.

Check that you can get a signal on all analog inputs. make sure the headphone amps are not noisy
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 AM   #3
kstn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square View Post
I found a local seller that has a used Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. He's asking about $300. I'm going to try and have a look at it tomorrow. Is there anything special I should look for on a used unit?
Light googling said than new scarlett costs about $500. The prise depends from how old is the unit and how intensively it was used. A unit from home or little homemade studio and a unit from big studio or even tv may significantly differs (sometimes it seems to me that tv people hate equipment and try to break it every time when they can. But may be it belongs only for russian tv). Not sure about your seller politic but with some sellers you can bargain and significantly lower the price.

So checklist:
1. Check all in\outs. Jack (xlr, rca...) should set tightly in a socket and doesnt move. Of course there should be no any crackle. In principle that can be fixed (and is not very hard) but you need good hands (or a friend with good hands) to fix it.
2. Check all faders (volume pot, etc). There also should be not any crackles etc. Old pots can сrackle. It is not so critical as crackles in sockets because you can duplicate this pods settings in driver settings panel, but mechanical faders are more сomphortable (imho). It also can be fixed, but it is not very good sign.
3. Ask the seller about the unit story. How old is it, how intencievely it was used, had this unit any problems, has this unit repair and why.

Good luck!
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Square

Thank you both. I went ahead and bought it. I was able to see it working before I bought it. The guy was just using it in a home studio.

Now I just need to watch a few videos and figure out how to work this thing.
Square is offline   Reply With Quote