Old 11-18-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
peter5992
Human being with feelings

Default Behringer Wing-48

Fyi

Looks pretty sweet, but I'm not sure how it handles surround formats, and how it works with eg Reaper.

peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #2
XITE-1/4LIVE

Excellent DSP Power if what I heard about SHARC DSPs being in it
It was what I hoped the X32 would’ve been.
Cant wait to try one. You get 30 days.
Plenty of time.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:29 AM   #3
fred garvin

Wow. It's like Reaper in hardware.

I note they don't say a word about price. Eh, it's Behringer, what, couple hundo?
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #4
Not_Here

I must get one, my bet is 45 to 65 hundo's give or take...

if that has full integration with reaper I would eat franks and beans for a year to get it...

and I'm fully aware its about 100 times more than needed and obscenely overdone for my purposes, and that makes me want it even more.

Last edited by Not_Here; 11-19-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #5
fred garvin

$3500 ftw. Just $73/mo.! Hell, you can't afford not to, you're actually saving money! Or something.
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
poetnprophet

I just got wind of this unit today, looks really amazing and the features are crazy.

But, nowhere in the video or anywhere does it actually talk about and demonstrate DAW integration, so until that is clearly shown it may as well be a pile of rocks in my opinion. A very beautiful pile of rocks, but potentially worthless without deep and seamless DAW workflow.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
oneammonday

Only 8 mic pres, but it does have 8 more 1/4" inputs. They should at least throw in a stage box and cat5 cable for this initial launch. I'm not trying to poo poo on it, just pointing out that you would need a few more accessories to use it to its full abilities in a live situation or large recording set up.
oneammonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
siehorst

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_...ZSI6ImVuIn0%3D
Old 11-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneammonday View Post
Only 8 mic pres,
If you use it as FOH, what will be the normal way, more mic inpute are useless as multicore is way old but you will use stage boxes instead. So, make it a bit cheaper and spent the money to a stage box (many of us will have anyway).
quote: 3 AES50 Ports: 48x48 Kanäle pro Port
horst
Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
Icchan

Those stage boxes do add a few thousand to the price. If you already have them, then upgrade is quite reasonable, but for all intents and purposes this is ~5000$ unit after you add the stage box to it.
It's quite economical in comparison to similarly featured desks, but regardless.

I'll let it age for a year or 2, get a bunch of updates, let the price settle and we'll see if it's really the bees knees
Old 11-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
They should at least throw in a stage box and cat5 cable for this initial launch.
Do you suggest the existing AES 50 stage boxes are not compatible ?

I suppose the dealers will offer bundles.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 AM   #12
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
...do add a few thousand ....
???

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_s16.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_sd16.htm
Old 11-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
Icchan

To use 32 channels out of 48 supported, you need 2 of those, that's a 1022€ and frankly, they're not Midas PRO preamps by any stretch of the imagination so 32 channels of them costs you quite a lot of extra (1739€ or alternatively 2x DL16 is 1478€ if it's no issue of having 2 units instead of 1). Since it's a digital desk the preamps and converters define most of how good it'll sound and with 48 channels you definitely want low noise preamps to avoid noise compounding issues with large PA and large show.

To stack it to full 48 channels is at least 1500€ if not 2200€ish extra.

But if 16 channels of Behringer preamps is good enough, sure, you only need that one cheap box... it's still 500€ extra so it makes this mixer way more expensive than x32 that you can totally run to 16(compact) or 32 channels without paying for an additional stagebox. Most live engineers already have a classic multicore kicking around anyway and in small setups you can even run just normal XLR's to the mixer (drum recording in the rehersal space or home studio use). So yeah...

Yes, it's cheaper than any other system out there with the capability, but it increases the price to much more than x32 system was.

Of course, if you already have AES50 units, then it's of no issue.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #14
cyrano

The SD32 is 729 euro incl. VAT...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_s32.htm

Lots of people who own a X32 will already own stage boxes and UTP cabling. Besides, you don't always need to spend 500$ on a UTP cable. ou can make your own for less than 100$.

And please show me how the preamps aren't "real" Midas preamps. The ones on the X32 are exactly the same as the ones in a Midas desk. When we did listening tests with the X32, nobody could tell the difference...

I can see a lot of X32 owners upgrading to the Wing.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
if that has full integration with reaper ...
-> https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)
They say it features HUI and Mackie Control so using it via "CSI" should provide good results.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The ones on the X32 are exactly the same as the ones in a Midas desk. When we did listening tests with the X32, nobody could tell the difference...
They definitely are not. Did you make noise measurement? That's the main difference between basic cheap preamp and really good one in a live-mixer. It's not about "sounding better" as you might think, but about the fact that you can add 32 ribbon mics into the setup, have ton of gain on each channel and no appreciable noise creeps up from the pre-amps themselves.

And midas pro preamps are really, really low noise ones in comparison. For a reason
Old 11-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #17
cyrano

I haven't heard the Wing yet...

Anyhow, making a noise free preamp is far from black magic these days. The top brands are around 0.7 db from the theoretical minimum inherent noise. As a friend puts it: "if you've got preamp noise, the impedance is wrong.

As for ribbons, they are the clear example impedance is the key. If another preamp sounds quieter, there's something wrong, as you're not even supposed to hear the preamp. The X32 I tested, had a -114 dB noise floor. There's better, of course, but there's nothing wildly better. No Midas I ever measured did better than -117 dB.

Of course, if you expect to run 32 ribbons on a 1500$ mixer, you're comparing apples to lollypops.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #18
Multibomber

The Behringer Wing definitely has the Midas PRO preamps... but only 8 of em? What the hell am I going to record with only 8 preamps? Maybe they'll release a different version with 32 Midas PRO preamps, and less of worthless TRS In/Outs to get the cost down.
Multibomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 AM   #19
Not_Here

interesting-er and interesting-er

Old 11-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #20
Gass n Klang

I already had the opportunity for a hands on. Sold my x32 and ordered a wing. it seems to destroy the live mixing console market again
I'm glad it only has 8 ins. You dont need more in a live situation. AES50 stageboxes (44.1/48khz) are compatible so theres a bunch to choose from.

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 11-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Gass n Klang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #21
Icchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multibomber View Post
The Behringer Wing definitely has the Midas PRO preamps... but only 8 of em? What the hell am I going to record with only 8 preamps? Maybe they'll release a different version with 32 Midas PRO preamps, and less of worthless TRS In/Outs to get the cost down.
They propably won't, local IO in a desk is only for external analog FX, FOH monitoring and the like, you don't need more than that at the desk, you need them at the stage and that's why it has 3 AES50 connections for the stage boxes.

That's why it won't replace x32 as "babys first desk". It's significantly more expensive when you want the IO as well in comparison.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #22
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icchan View Post
... It's significantly more expensive ...
Let's first wait and see what new devices are comming up. Till then we are allowed to use the existing stuff that has done a sufficient job, no complaint on the sound here so far.
If you want more, you have to pay more. that simple.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #23
oneammonday

Hi there, siehorst. I'm speaking as someone who already owns several channels of snakes that are still in perfect working condition. The extra expense of new stageboxes would be a deal breaker for me, personally. This board looks just great, though, and I wish I was in the position to purchase one and all its accessories, but heck, as I was just commenting in another forum, I'm too old and fat to do any engineering or playing nowadays, anyway, lol.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:45 AM   #24
siehorst

Quote:
... who already owns several channels of snakes that are still in perfect working condition. ...
Easy: never change the running system. In generall it is the same here. One x32 rack, one core, several stage boxes. I will not jump on the wing, no need to so at the moment.
And the concern about the preamps: forget it. I am just recording and managing a CD for a band playing popular jazz.
If the sound is ugly it is not the preamp or the x32 or reaper or my computer ... it is my brain and my fingers and my ears turning the wrong knobs.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:05 AM   #25
oneammonday

Hi there, mschnell. I'm sorry if It seemed like I was suggesting such? I just don't already own any of those, but like I said in another post, I do already own several analog snakes that would be rendered useless with this console. I'm sure you're right that retailers will offer bundles. I hadn't thought of that. It is beautiful, and I would love to use one. I would have loved to use digital snakes with cat5 cables instead of bulky and heavy snakes. I would have less back problems nowadays. I'm not poo pooing on this board, I just think they could and should have added more mic pres. Or just bundled a stagebox with it.