Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
matonanjin
Human being with feelings

Default Recommended Guitar Interface (other than Behringer)

I have struggled trying to use the Behringer USB Guitar Link interface for some time now. Here is the Problem du Jour: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135150

I am thinking about going to something else. And I realize this is a really a "blue sky" questions. But what does everyone recommend? There has to be something more user friendly.

I do NOT need something to make professional quality recordings. This is just for me to record myself to make the occasional recording to play back for myself or occasionally post on forums for critique.

Cost is really not an issue. I don't want to spend $1000 on something. But I want to get something that I'll spend less time wrestling with and more time recording.

Thanks for any suggestions.
matonanjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
jerome_oneil

Tascam, Aleis, Focusrite...

There are, literally, hundreds of options.

If you want something to only record the guitar, then I'd send that one back and get a working model. If you want something a bit more general purpose, I'd get a Tascam US-600 or Aleis iO2. Inexpensive, will support your guitar as well as anything else you might like to plug into it, and they can also operate as MIDI controllers.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #3
matonanjin

Default Thank you

Jerome,

Thanks for your response. And, yeh, I know that was a very "blue sky" question. I'm looking at the Tascam 600.

Is there any reason this will not allow me to play a backing track as, say, Track 1, while I record my playing as Track 2 in Reaper. This is really the only thing I want to do with an interface.

I don't know why it wouldn't. But a guy in a review on Amazon said it would not. I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or clueless. Possibly even more so than me!

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Is there any reason this will not allow me to play a backing track as, say, Track 1, while I record my playing as Track 2 in Reaper. This is really the only thing I want to do with an interface.
Nope, no reason, soundcards are full duplex since decades.

Quote:
I don't know why it wouldn't. But a guy in a review on Amazon said it would not. I don't know if he knows what he is talking about or clueless. Possibly even more so than me!
Amazon reviews are pure gold sometimes. Maybe it was some numpty that didn't bother to check the DAW manual for "enable monitoring" button.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
thequietroom

You might also consider line6

The pod HD desktop is pretty affordable and has some really nice tones. This, for me simplifies the guitar recording process a lot. It also eliminates the hassle of trying to monitor sofware amps and keep the latency down.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Jerome,

Thanks for your response. And, yeh, I know that was a very "blue sky" question. I'm looking at the Tascam 600.

None. I own a US-600 and it's my primary interface at home. This kind of stuff has been a feature for so long I'm not even sure it's thought of any more. Kind of like asking if your car comes with tires or something.

The only issues I have with it are that it doesn't wake up with my Mac if my Mac goes to sleep, and it doesn't have a power switch. That means I have to unplug it to restart it and get the Mac to notice it. It's a minor annoyance.

Quote:
I'm going to go with the latter.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
hopi

so if money is not much of an issue, you can stay well under that 1000 ceiling by at least halfway, and just get a real audio interface with good ASIO. That way you'd be set for now and the future as well...

there are many brands out there for that price range... it's just a matter of how much you want. Quality will be fine for your stated needs on all of them.

Guitar FX, can be done VERY well with something S-Gear by Scruffham... google it plz.

I would get an interface that includes a MIDI IO, even if you don't think you need it at this moment.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
Nils H.

I would go for a "real" audio interface. There are units out there with dedicated high impedance inputs for passive instruments. I use the Terrasoniq Phase X64 which sports four line/aux inputs and four outputs along with midi in and out. One of those inputs can be configured as Hi-Z. A normal line input presents too high a load for the guitar, which can result in treble loss and generally too low output.

Although I almost never record direct, and if I do I use a real tube amp's preamp, I've toyed around with my interface and some amp sims, and electrically it works pretty well. It's rather cheap, too. Terrasoniq is by the makers of Terratec. I have no idea if and where to get it internationally.

Hope this helps.
Nils H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #9
Skel

Focusrite Saffire Interfaces for example have great driver stability and a good mixing/routing-software for a really fair price. I use the Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro DSP and it costed 300 EUR. It never crashed or made problems for 3 years now.

You could get a smaller Focusrite interface for even lower price. http://www.thomann.de/de/focusrite_scarlett_2i2.htm for example is just 138 EUR. (I consider buying this for my laptop, too)

BUT of course this is just MY expirience and there are tons of other good interfaces. Personally I never had a better interface for the price. (I tried M-Audio two times, had one Alesis Interface and owned a PreSonus Firepod before)
Skel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
matonanjin

Default Went with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Guys, thanks for the replies and the help.

I went with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It was shipped by FedEx, not USPS, so even with no mail tomorrow I could have it as early as tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Guys, thanks for the replies and the help.

I went with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It was shipped by FedEx, not USPS, so even with no mail tomorrow I could have it as early as tomorrow.

Thanks again.
I know a couple of folks that swear by that rig. I think the "halo" clipping light thing is the coolest interface innovation I've seen in a long while. It gives me clipping envy.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
Twangothan

Default Sans Amp

Now get a Sansamp or similar. I have a Award Session JD 10 DI / amp sim. Much more guitar friendly than software. I may be in a minority here. And when you've recorded it, play it back through speakers and record that. Blended it will sound wicked.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
matonanjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twangothan View Post
Now get a Sansamp or similar. I have a Award Session JD 10 DI / amp sim. Much more guitar friendly than software. I may be in a minority here. And when you've recorded it, play it back through speakers and record that. Blended it will sound wicked.
Thanks for the suggestion but I haven't a clue what you are saying.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Twangothan

Quote:
Sorry. A Sansamp is a little box which pretends to be an amp. You plug your guitar into it and plug it into your interface, then with knobs and switches, set up your sound.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/gt2.html

The Session one is a similar idea, different maker. I just like them because as a guitarist I find I prefer something physical than using software, and also you don't immediately start using presets like everyone else has used.

Recording the speakers after just adds a bit of real room into the sound.
Twangothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #15
karbomusic

Quote:
It's what everyone was using before digital emulators and SIMs became all the rage. They are actually great little boxes if you just want a guitar you can record minus a real amp/cab. There were a few other companies back in the day that did these, Hughes and Kettner and some others.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It's what everyone was using before digital emulators and SIMs became all the rage. They are actually great little boxes if you just want a guitar you can record minus a real amp/cab. There were a few other companies back in the day that did these, Hughes and Kettner and some others.
FWIW I still have two of the original Hughes & Kettner Tubeman pedals.
Mostly get used for bass DI these days but an amazingly versatile pedal with an actual red-glowing-glass valve in them. Admittedly not running at full hairy chested plate voltage, but it DOES make a difference.
The Cream Machine was an even earlier equivalent and also rather good.
Trouble is people tend to hold onto these oldies.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:52 AM   #17
Coachz

my tonelab le is amazing and dirt cheap. start presets with just amp and cab models and you are golden. msg me if you get one and I'll hook you up with presets
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote