Old 11-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #1
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Default Cannot paste auth code into plugins

When I Cmd+V to paste a serial number from an email into a plugin the first time it opens in REAPER, I get a "No item in clipboard to paste!" warning. This is obviously because the copy/paste behavior in plugin windows is designed to copy and paste plugins, not text.

Usually I can work around it with a right click/Paste, but even that's not working with some new plugins I have to register. A right click does nothing, the codes are a mile long, and I have about 15 to enter in this bundle I just bought.

I thought maybe I could somehow sneak it onto a clipboard that would paste into the plugin's activation field by pasting it into a marker in REAPER, then cutting it out of there, but that was really grasping at straws and didn't work.

Any ideas? It seems like this is a pretty serious issue. I can't believe this is the first time I haven't been able to work around it, but it doesn't seem like I should have to. If there is text on the clipboard, it should paste it at the cursor, right? It should only copy/paste plugins if one is selected and the paste operation is in the plugin list area, not within the plugin itself, right?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
vdubreeze

Been there. It is weird. What finally worked was to not use keystroke or menu but the contextual mouse menu to paste. (I'm on OS X). In Windows it would be whatever your mouse pasting click is (Right click?). Not clear why that would work when others didn't, but I had a Harrison plugin that had that behavior and I ended up actually following their "How to install and authorize" note, and they said do that, so I did.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
nofish

Maybe?

(To get this pop up menu rightclick on the plugin's title bar)

Last edited by nofish; 11-18-2019 at 08:08 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
Xaos

vdubreeze: Right clicking and selecting paste from the context menu is how I normally do this, but these particular plugins don't give you a context menu. They are very aberrant in their behavior.

nofish: I could not get that context menu to show up no matter where i right clicked within the plugin. I tried every square millimeter until I figured out it must be in one of the menus. I'm on a Mac, so I'm wondering if that behavior is different. [EDIT] I was eventually able to find a sliver above and beneath the preset window that brought up the contextual menu shown. But it's even easier to just right click the FX in the column on the left side of the track FX window. Duh! It also is available in the FX menu in the top menu bar when it's the selected plugin in the track FX window. Once "Send all keyboard input to plugin" was checked, I could Cmd+V and it paste in the INSANELY long license code.

Thank you so much for your help! I've been using REAPER off and on since 2015 and I still learn something new just about every time I use it. It's not ever an issue of whether or not it can do something, it's just a matter of someone in this amazing community being kind enough to show you how.

The one or two times it didn't do something as it should, someone either wrote a script or the devs at Cockos fixed the issue in under 24 hours. This is not just how software should be. This is just how people should treat each other in all things. Amazing!

Last edited by Xaos; 11-28-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:06 PM   #5
onzkireaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Maybe?

(To get this pop up menu rightclick on the plugin's title bar)
Big Thank you! I purchased lots of plugin and now dreaded that I must retype license code one by one haha. You’re awesome comment saved me time.
Any good reason for Reaper not to make it default normal paste and place the first time?
Thanks!

Last edited by onzkireaper; 02-01-2022 at 11:09 PM. Reason: word added
onzkireaper is offline   Reply With Quote