Old 11-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Default AUX Insert Drum Buss routing

I currently have a drum buss going. I have created a track with a reverb unit on it. I am sending my Snare track to the Drum Buss track. But routing within the Buss has me confused.
Do I route my Reverb for the snare, to the Master Send. Or do I send it to the Drum Buss?
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Philbo King

If the drum buss is a subfolder of the master track, and the drum tracks are children of the drum buss, Reaper will route them correctly by default.

If you are using sends you created instead of a folder track, it is up to you to deal with creating sends as needed to make it work.

The reverb track: If only drums go to it, make it a child track of the drum buss and create a send to it from the snare (and additional sends from any other drum tracks you want fed to the same reverb). It will then mix into the drum buss folder track just like your other drum tracks do.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
Dr Bob

What I do is to create a folder "DRUMS", inside this I have all the individual parts of the drumkit. I ALSO have a reverb track inside this folder. Each kit item has a send to this reverb track, and the level of send for each item can be adjusted. Then all the drumkit shares the same reverb space. The overall drum mix is then controlled by the folder parent fader. Of course, make sure your reverb fx is set to full wet, no dry, and then use its fader to control the overall reverb for the kit.

DRUMS
... Perc Reverb
... Kick
... Snare
... Hat
... Ride
... Crash
... etc …
END

I often stick an extra empty track at the end of the child tracks and set this one to the "last in folder" track! As opposed to using the last kit item as the last track in the folder - yes, an extra track, it does nothing but help to clarify the folder structure - useful if you have lots of folders!

HTH

My way of doing things - maybe right, maybe wrong, but it works for me.
The folder parent (DRUMS) will get routed automatically to the master and the child tracks (kit items) will also automatically get routed to the parent (DRUMS)

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
Jimmy James

I get so lost with parents and subfolders and children. LOL, I am trying to keep up.

I have all my drum tracks, and they all run to a tracks called "Drum Buss". So these tracks must be the children? And the Drum Buss track is the parent?

My Drum Buss track is going to the Master. All my drum tracks are going to the Drum Buss only.

I have a reverb set up for the drum tracks. The Snare, I have running to the "Drum Buss track". And I also send it to the "drum reverb" track. And the Drum Reverb track is not going to the master buss. I have it going only to the Drum Buss track.

So I have this all done correct? Or atleast the way most folks do it?
Old 11-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
Dr Bob

If you use folders then most of the routing is done for you.

Parent folder is called say "Drum BUSS" … then after that one you have all your drum kit tracks, and either the last drum kit track or a track with nothing on it becomes that last folder in the group.

I am assuming you know how to use the little "folder" item on each track in the TCP to cycle a track from "track", "folder" and "last track in folder"?

dB

PS Added a small .rpp with the above for you … just in cases ...
Attached Files
File Type: rpp DrumBuss.rpp (4.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Dr Bob; 11-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:47 AM   #6
Stella645

If there is no processing on the drum group the only difference is whether the reverb return level changes with the drum group fader. If reverb return is in group then of course changing the drums overall level with that fader also changes the reverb level so the mix of drums to reverb stays the same.

If there is compression or EQ on the drum bus then you need to decide whether you want the reverb affected by the same process (and how that processes interacts with the other drum tracks).
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
If you use folders then most of the routing is done for you.

Parent folder is called say "Drum BUSS" … then after that one you have all your drum kit tracks, and either the last drum kit track or a track with nothing on it becomes that last folder in the group.

I am assuming you know how to use the little "folder" item on each track in the TCP to cycle a track from "track", "folder" and "last track in folder"?

dB

PS Added a small .rpp with the above for you … just in cases ...
Yes, thanks bro. I think you I am with you on item thing. It is the language that gets me the most.But I think I am on course now
Old 11-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Jimmy James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
If there is no processing on the drum group the only difference is whether the reverb return level changes with the drum group fader. If reverb return is in group then of course changing the drums overall level with that fader also changes the reverb level so the mix of drums to reverb stays the same.

If there is compression or EQ on the drum bus then you need to decide whether you want the reverb affected by the same process (and how that processes interacts with the other drum tracks).
Yes, what you are talking about. That's why I wasn't sure if there is a standard way. If I change the snare level, the snare reverb stays the same.

The Drum Buss has Comp and EQ on it. All the verbs are done on the insert. So I am sending the verb to the Drum Buss, and not the master. This helps a little.

Any way to make the reverb level change with the snare volume? Or is this just the cost of using a reverb insert?