Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #1
grumpops
Human being with feelings

Default Coming from Studio One Professional...and...what? lol

The main reason I'd stayed with S1 for so long was it's "mixdown" feature.
Taking multiple tracks either by selective muting, or by setting up the output for a four ch interface where a mix sent to one of three outputs is pulled from main L/R, Sub 1, and sub 2)
Is there some similar function here?

I cannot find it.
And all the videos I watched Yesterday resulted in the same number of tracks being rendered out, as were selected.
grumpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Render to File dialog has many options.

Sounds like you want the "Stems", or "Selected tracks via master" option. The first one doesn't apply master FX, the latter one does.

Or are you talking about in-project render? In that case create a new track, then select your wanted tracks to mixdown, send them to the new track you created, then render the output of the receive track, and mute the source tracks. You could also create a custom action for this, so that it's much faster if you use this sort of functionality often.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 11-20-2019 at 03:20 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
grumpops

Default well, what I mean is.

In studio one...I would have a set of tracks to create a backing track.
I would export the music part only (Instruments) onto a single track.
Then the click, out to a single track
And backing vox, out to a single track
Bass to a single track (in case my bass player gets sick one night...lol)

these 4 tracks would then be used for live performance.
THey are always the same four tracks and always assigned to the same four outputs from the interface.

So, anywhere from 2 to 20 or more tracks bounced, mixed down, exported, rendered..pick the word..into ONE track...
Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
grumpops

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Render to File dialog has many options.

Sounds like you want the "Stems", or "Selected tracks via master" option. The first one doesn't apply master FX, the latter one does.

Or are you talking about in-project render? In that case create a new track, then select your wanted tracks to mixdown, send them to the new track you created, then render the output of the receive track, and mute the source tracks. You could also create a custom action for this, so that it's much faster if you use this sort of functionality often.
Well, master out or Stems will create the same number of tracks I'm trying to combine.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Yeah, then you want the SWS Cue Buss feature, then export just THAT track.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
grumpops

Quote:
Yeah, then you want the SWS Cue Buss feature, then export just THAT track.
Exactly the opposite of what I"m trying to do.
I need to mix down, render, export, whatever term you want to use...MULTIPLE TRACKS TO ONE.

I asked a buddy how he does his tracks to get them into the uTrack24 and his answer was...reaper..so, I know it can do what I need to do...I just cannot find any video on how...
Old 11-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
serr

It sounds like you are asking for a way to make multiple submix renders simultaneously? And maybe where the output format varies between mono/stereo/surround?

And it sounds like maybe StudioOne has a feature to select multiple source tracks and make a render from them instead of requiring you to make a subgroup bus track first to render from.

Not sure what to suggest for the second one.
But... if that feature is going on, it's not like you can make multiple stem renders that way simultaneously. And also you'd have to make those selections every time.

I don't know if that speculation is on point or not, but where I'm going with that is...
If you just made that subgroup track to begin with, you'd have it there and wouldn't have to make those source track selections every time. And then the subgroup track would be right there to select for an instant stem render. And then you'd be able to render the stems for the entire project with one click.

Maybe not the answer to the question you asked exactly but perhaps a solution with fewer mouse clicks at the end of the day.

If the issue was: How to make multiple output channel formats?
Ticking the box for 'multichannel tracks to multichannel files' forces that for said tracks. That lets you choose 'mono' for the output format, for example, and select multiple tracks. The tracks with stereo routing will render stereo while the rest will render mono. This extends to surround vs stereo vs mono as well.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
grumpops

After seven attempts to insert some screen shots (always too big no matter I had them down to 65K in size) I will pass on that.

My studio one is set up with four outputs via Presonus Audiobox USB.
I have MAIN (L/R) and Sub 1, and Sub 2.
I believe this is similar to what you're describing except it's not a track...it's an output.

All instruments are set, in the channel strip..to MAIN (output L/R) though I use mono because I don't have a flown array system anyway.
The click and the accent clicks to denote END OF SONG are on Sub 1 output.
ANd the Backing vox and/or Bass are assigned to Sub 2.

On the Render, mixdown, export, etc...
You select which output you're going to render as a mixdown.
That generates a single track with all of the tracks on that output buss.

So I'm left with
Click
Music
Back Vox or Bass if necessary
Old 11-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #9
serr

That is accomplished by simply selecting the tracks you wish to render from (ie the subgroup bus tracks that are your L,R Sub1, Sub2) and selecting stem render (selected tracks) in the render window.

It sounded like you were talking about some automated 'make a spot render from a mix of selected tracks' feature at first, so I was expanding on how to do that earlier.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
grumpops

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
That is accomplished by simply selecting the tracks you wish to render from (ie the subgroup bus tracks that are your L,R Sub1, Sub2) and selecting stem render (selected tracks) in the render window.

It sounded like you were talking about some automated 'make a spot render from a mix of selected tracks' feature at first, so I was expanding on how to do that earlier.
Oh my no...lol
Just want to turn many tracks into ONE...
If S1 didn't SUCK A$$ when it comes to temp exporting...I'd be find keeping it.
But, the number in the TEMPO box is NOT true tempo and sometimes they render at a different tempo...so...just a pain.

I will try to find, in the manual, how to do what you just described...

I watched so many videos yesterday my head started to hurt. I imagine I passed the point of productive and stopped actually seeing the material..lol
Old 11-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #11
grumpops

Quote:

Watching one of the videos yesterday..when selecting that option..it created the same number of tracks that were selected in the project window.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
serr

Are you selecting the subgroup tracks you with to render?
Or are you trying to describe a feature where you select the SOURCE tracks to render a single stem from?

Your last reply sounds like the latter again.

That would be a feature that lets you make a spot render instead of creating a subgroup bus first. A fine thing. And there probably is some SWS add-on feature around that. But what I said above around that is still my suggestion there. (Such a feature would only ever save time if only used once. If you ever had to make that render a 2nd time or more... just make the bus track and be done with it.)

Not a comment on the validity of such a feature one way or the other. Simply how I'd move forward in this scenario with what I know about Reaper.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
grumpops

Quote:
Are you selecting the subgroup tracks you with to render?
Or are you trying to describe a feature where you select the SOURCE tracks to render a single stem from?

Your last reply sounds like the latter again.

That would be a feature that lets you make a spot render instead of creating a subgroup bus first. A fine thing. And there probably is some SWS add-on feature around that. But what I said above around that is still my suggestion there. (Such a feature would only ever save time if only used once. If you ever had to make that render a 2nd time or more... just make the bus track and be done with it.)

Not a comment on the validity of such a feature one way or the other. Simply how I'd move forward in this scenario with what I know about Reaper.
Rewatching the video on rendering.
He only did a Master Mix render on ONE file then moved on to stems.

If I followed what he's saying.
I can select any number of tracks and tell it to render mono using Master Mix, and that SHOULD, I think, give me the result I'm looking for....
Old 11-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpops View Post
I can select any number of tracks and tell it to render mono using Master Mix, and that SHOULD, I think, give me the result I'm looking for....
Yes.
That assumes you have something on your master bus that you want the stems to run through first.

You can select the master mix to render.
Or you can select specific tracks to render to stems.
Or you can select specific tracks to render - but through the master bus first.

If you select "stems (selected tracks)", it's the output from the tracks in question that is rendered. It doesn't also go through the master bus. (Some people will put processing - like a limiter - on their master bus to compress their entire mix, for example. The limiter on the master bus in this example would not be included in the stem render from selected tracks.) There IS a render option to render stems but through the master if that's what you wish to do. "Selected tracks via master"

I'm still not sure if you are asking to select tracks to render stems directly from (what there is literally a selection choice for in the Reaper render window) or asking to be able to make a selection of source tracks and make a stereo or mono render from that selection. I tried my best to spell it out as literal as I can...

When I say "select a track", I mean click on its track control panel to select it. You see it highlighted when you select it. Multiple selections are like you expect - shift-click for a range or command click to add/remove one at a time.

Then there's the render source menu in the render window. Literally select either "master" or "stems (selected tracks)" or one of the other options.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
EvilDragon

Quote:
After seven attempts to insert some screen shots (always too big no matter I had them down to 65K in size) I will pass on that.

My studio one is set up with four outputs via Presonus Audiobox USB.
I have MAIN (L/R) and Sub 1, and Sub 2.
I believe this is similar to what you're describing except it's not a track...it's an output.
In Reaper, it's both - a track can also be a send to hardware output. And best thing is - you can also render just this track. So, use Cue Buss generator from SWS extensions to create the submix tracks. Then when you want to render them out, select just those submix tracks and in Render to file dialog choose Stems (selected tracks) as source...

(BTW upload screenshots to imgur.com and paste links here.)
Old 11-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
serr

Oh, maybe that's the disconnect?

Tracks are universal in Reaper.
Other DAWs have restricted routing for classes of tracks (source vs bus vs master). In Reaper there are just universal tracks. You can route them any way you please. Source, aux send, hardware send, or all at once.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
Funkybot

Quote:
The main reason I'd stayed with S1 for so long was it's "mixdown" feature.
Taking multiple tracks either by selective muting, or by setting up the output for a four ch interface where a mix sent to one of three outputs is pulled from main L/R, Sub 1, and sub 2)
Is there some similar function here?

I cannot find it.
And all the videos I watched Yesterday resulted in the same number of tracks being rendered out, as were selected.
Wait. You just want to mixdown your project to a single stereo file? Like all the tracks and render to one 2-channel (stereo) .wav file?

If not, can you post a screenshot of your S1 render settings?
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
grumpops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Wait. You just want to mixdown your project to a single stereo file? Like all the tracks and render to one 2-channel (stereo) .wav file?

NO!!! lol
I take the full song, all tracks..
I send Click and outcue on Sub 1 to Audiobox
Back vox to sub 2
And all instrumentation to Main L/R.

Under Studio one's MIXDOWN setup...that renders a single mono or stereo track as output.
One is called just the song name
the other is song name clk
And song name Bvox.

Three files...

I hope you can see these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1 1.jpg (62.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg s1 2.jpg (62.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg s1 3.jpg (61.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #19
EvilDragon

Yep. You definitely want the Cue Buss feature.

And sadly no, your images are too tiny. As I said, upload the full size images to www.imgur.com and paste links here.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
poetnprophet

I think there's an option to FREEZE to new track. Or maybe it's RENDER to a new track? I'm pretty sure there's an option to do just that, so select the tracks you want and do that action.

I'm not at the studio now, but I feel like that's what you want.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #21
grumpops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post

Here...try this instead.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmeDq3b7hKAqlEzhfG8tZfH2OyXE
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmeDq3b7hKAqlE1m5U_nfPLQn3gb
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmeDq3b7hKAqlE5Mci5FeYf3O1Wq

When I'm finished..I have a Mono track of instruments...a mono track of click and a mono track of Bvox.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #22
EvilDragon

Yeah. Confirmed. Cue Buss feature is what you need! Install SWS extensions.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #23
grumpops

Quote:
Yeah. Confirmed. Cue Buss feature is what you need! Install SWS extensions.
Ok, didn't need to download anything.
Used the fact all tracks are virtual and can be anything as a start.
Set up the Routing Matrix to have four buss tracks.
Bass, Click, BVox, and Main....
Assigned the tracks in the matrix.
Assigned the buss tracks to Main L/R and...Voila.

Did a render using
Selected Tracks using Master.
Aside from I didn't use Wildcards to keep track names....it did exactly what I needed...thanks
Old 11-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #24
poetnprophet

there are always like 10 ways to accomplish the same thing in Reaper. that's why you got 10 different answers!

Glad you got it working.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote