Old 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Wyldsyde1
Human being with feelings

Default Vst's going out of tune

For a while my vst's have been going out of tune in Reaper. It happens a lot with Kontakt 5, but pretty much all of them. Its like the pitch wheel has been moved. I love Reaper and its pretty easy to use, but this is killing me. I checked the midi info to see if the pitch bend wheel set back to zero and it does go back to zero so that's not it.

PC, win 7, intel core i7, 4.0 ghz, ASRock z97 Pro4 motherboard 16 gb of ram.

Maybe my setup isn't the best there is, but its very good. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Wyldsyde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Steviebone

I have this issue with one instrument in Kontakt. Never figured it out. Happens in Reaper and in Kontakt stand alone. Only way I could make it reset was to dump and reload the instrument. I just gave up on that instrument. So I'll be interested to see if you can figure anything out. Is it multiple plugs of differing format? Or just Kontakt stuff?
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
foxAsteria

In MIDI editor, check the pitch lane for your MIDI items down at the bottom. If there is no data, create a pitch reset message by double clicking on the center line at the start of the item. Sometimes it's the case that a previous item will contain pitch info that did not return to 0 by the end of the item. As such, the next MIDI item will continue to play at that offset pitch, even if it contains no pitch data, so you need to manually add the reset message.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Stews

I had something like this years ago and it turned out my midi keyboard was malfunctioning.

Does it still happen if you play back the tracks without the keyboard plugged in?

Another thought was that some VST makers use things like that as copy protection - instead of not working at all after the trial period, they work but go all loopy. But if it's more than one VST doing it, that seems unlikely.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 AM   #5
ernzo

If you have a malfunctioning Pitch Wheel,
you can try this JS plugin called MIDI Event Filter:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/4280/MB_Filter_1.02.zip

It will let you deactivate the Pitch Wheel,
or filter any other MIDI call that might be interfering..

Last edited by ernzo; 10-19-2018 at 03:35 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
Reason

I have an M-Audio Axiom 61 that the pitch wheel malfunctions on and causes something similar. My workaround was to set the upper and lower limits of the wheel to 64, on the keyboard itself. Disables pitch bend, but fixed the problem.

Googling it did not yield a real fix that was within my means.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
tweezer

I had a problem with some of the K5 Factory Library presets. For example, all three acoustic pianos loaded with the tuning at -13. It was the same with other presets and some of the Scarbee instruments too. I never found out why. I just set the pitch to zero and resaved the .NKI
tweezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Wyldsyde1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
I have this issue with one instrument in Kontakt. Never figured it out. Happens in Reaper and in Kontakt stand alone. Only way I could make it reset was to dump and reload the instrument. I just gave up on that instrument. So I'll be interested to see if you can figure anything out. Is it multiple plugs of differing format? Or just Kontakt stuff?

Hey Steviebone,
It happens a lot with Kontakt, but also Synthmaster, and many others.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM   #9
Wyldsyde1

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
In MIDI editor, check the pitch lane for your MIDI items down at the bottom. If there is no data, create a pitch reset message by double clicking on the center line at the start of the item. Sometimes it's the case that a previous item will contain pitch info that did not return to 0 by the end of the item. As such, the next MIDI item will continue to play at that offset pitch, even if it contains no pitch data, so you need to manually add the reset message.

Thanks for the suggestion foxAsteria, I'm going to try that and see how it works.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
Wyldsyde1

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I'm going to try out all those things over the weekend. I guess disabling the pitch bend could be an option, but it sucks when everything isn't working right. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for all your help!!!
Old 10-19-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
Wyldsyde1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
I had something like this years ago and it turned out my midi keyboard was malfunctioning.

Does it still happen if you play back the tracks without the keyboard plugged in?

Another thought was that some VST makers use things like that as copy protection - instead of not working at all after the trial period, they work but go all loopy. But if it's more than one VST doing it, that seems unlikely.

Hey Stews, I do remember that happening a while ago during playback. Its more than one vst doing it.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
woogish

never had the problem.....
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote