Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-18-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
OldNick
Human being with feelings

Default Use MPC Beats as a plugin in Reaper?

Can you use Akai's MPC Beats as a plugin in Reaper, and if so, how?

I have got as far as placing the only .dll file (libusb-MPC-1.0.dll) that came with the package, into one of the search folders that are nominated in Reaper, but nothing shows up, and the search does not find it, in the All Plugins list when I try to load it. I also restarted Reaper.

Actually I will explain my idea. If I am barking up the wrong tree, then let me know. I do not have hardware. So my idea was to have MPC as a VST then feed it midi by routing another track to it.

Any help greatly appreciated.....I mean it...

Last edited by OldNick; 08-18-2020 at 11:27 PM.
OldNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #2
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
I have got as far as placing the only .dll file (libusb-MPC-1.0.dll) that came with the package, into one of the search folders that are nominated in Reaper,
i haven't used it, so i'm just speculating, but doesn't it install into a specific folder as part of a package?
If so, just add that path to your plugin folders list in preferences - don't move stuff
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
OldNick

Yeah, thanks. I will try that that. But it could get a bit messy if all plugins worked like that!

....nope....just tried it
Old 08-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
poetnprophet

you need to find out where the plugin installs and use that path. yes all plugins are setup that way! it may help to uninstall, then reinstall and either 1) pick the path that best suits you or 2) note the file path and use that to point reaper

you don't have to "feed" it midi from another track. simply rec/arm the track with Beats loaded, and set the input to Midi and pick your hardware (or all channels). and enable input monitoring.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
OldNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetnprophet View Post
you need to find out where the plugin installs and use that path. yes all plugins are setup that way! it may help to uninstall, then reinstall and either 1) pick the path that best suits you or 2) note the file path and use that to point reaper

you don't have to "feed" it midi from another track. simply rec/arm the track with Beats loaded, and set the input to Midi and pick your hardware (or all channels). and enable input monitoring.
Thanks for the reply and you did help...so far. ATS I have found the dll and need to see if if it will plug in.

Yeah I knew that I had to fund the path and that's how it works...but...although I had already found a dll (which did not work) , your idea to reinstall was the clue. But Akai / Steinberg are MOST unhelpful...they do not allow choice or even a decent view. I knew there was a Steinberg connection and saw it flash across the screen during reinstall, while I watched like a hawk. So I did a search of program files for steinberg and found MPC Beats.dll

Back to the fray.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
OldNick

hmmm....I am starting to think that Akai/Steinberg are not releasing this idea, except to Cubase (cough spit spew). I have found the right dll and tried both leading Reaper to it in Reaper's preferences, and also placing the dll withing Reaper's stock dll path....not working.