Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 AM   #81
dug dog
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
2. ReaFir - during mixing, I discovered this magical instrument that saved the whole mix. In the compression mode, it can limit the selected frequency range, so that on many tracks I could safely get rid of the leakage of cymbals and "poisonous" 3-5 kHz, without losing the overall brightness and clarity. This is truly a magical instrument!
Hey Cool:

A couple questions for you as I could find little or no discussion about this feature in the forums. Were you looking to replicate some "non Reaper" plug that you normally use in this situation? How does this differ from multi-band comp?

Great mix, btw.

Cheers.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:19 AM   #82
cool

Hi!

No, I've never used such tools before.
More precisely so: in the usual situation I would try trivial multi-band. Here, I was limited to the rules of the competition, and ReaFir found by chance. It's fortuitous and pure luck, but ReaFir saved the mix and I at the moment do not know any analogues for this tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Hey Cool:

A couple questions for you as I could find little or no discussion about this feature in the forums. Were you looking to replicate some "non Reaper" plug that you normally use in this situation? How does this differ from multi-band comp?

Great mix, btw.

Cheers.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #83
darjama

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
Hi!

No, I've never used such tools before.
More precisely so: in the usual situation I would try trivial multi-band. Here, I was limited to the rules of the competition, and ReaFir found by chance. It's fortuitous and pure luck, but ReaFir saved the mix and I at the moment do not know any analogues for this tool.
TDR Nova is free and a lot easier to use IMO for this type of thing. The paid version also adds a lot of great features. But of course it's not part of reaper or a js effect so it's not useful for the contest.

Got to be careful with ReaFIR, Easy to really alter your mix in unflattering ways without realizing it if hurrying. I ended up using it a good bit in the March contest and may have done more harm than good.

Here's hoping the ReaFIR interface gets some love in the next major revision.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #84
Not_Here

so, regarding the ReaFIR; It was a spur of the moment thing for Cool to use it in combo with an EQ.. However it was a great lesson for me in learning the capabilities of Reaper plug ins for sure.

I noticed also in learning from Kenny's vid on De-essing a similar signal path from eq to comp but with a different signal routing in and out of the chain.

If I'm understanding these two chains they are basically the same thing just able to be inserted differently into a channel/track.

I think I might have hurt my mix a bit also, but it's like my first few trips to a bar when I was old enough - no experience and very little self control