Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 11-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Chris T
Human being with feelings

Default Little Latency on Transport buttons

Hi guys,

I am using Reaper for live keyboards and also supplied click for the band lately. I figured that if I use Reaper transport to sync the click to the band, there is a small latency between pressing play and the first click to kick in. The audio buffer is on 128 and live plugins are fine. It is just the transport and I guess it is something around 100ms. Not severe for recording but if you need to restart the click with the band playing, this is a killer. Is there a setting that changes this behavior? As a workaround I actually used maschine in standalone parallel to reaper to do the click. This additionally gives the opportunity to use the jog wheel of the maschine to set the bpm. Something I lose when maschine is used as a plugin in reaper. Also maschine play function as slave in reaper shows this delay, but it is not related to maschine. It already happens with the reaper transport function triggered by any midi controller.

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Chris
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:26 AM   #2
mschnell

Do you happen to have any Plugin that features a large PDC (e.g. ReaVerb with "ZL" not set) in your project ?

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 AM   #3
Chris T

interesting. I removed all tracks and master effects and just jecked with the metronom. It seems to respond much faster then. Not perfectly in sync but better. No how can I find which plugins are causing this? Anyway, without plugins the latency is still noticable.

BTW, is there a way to start the sequencer from a midi event sent by a track / Plugin? The idea behind this is to sync the sequencer to live playing. I know this is the other way around like it is usually done, but there are good reasons to be able to do this. Actually, I am writing a plugin which is picking up the tempo from a live input..

Last edited by Chris T; 12-01-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
mschnell

Reaper shows the PDC for the selected plugin on the low left corner of the "FX" Window in samples "spls".

Of course you can start the playback by a midi message. E.g. you can "learn" a CC Midi message to a "start" Reaper event. (You need to enable "control" in the Midi device's settings in the Reaper Preferences. )

-Michael
Old 12-01-2018, 06:10 AM   #5
Chris T

thanks for the reply. I know that a midi event can start the sequencer. I am doing this already. But I want a plugin on a midi track to set the tempo and trigger the play button. Imagine you play piano in free tempo and a "virtual drummer" plugin recognizes your tempo and starts playing along. Not neccessarily I need to control the sequencer that way. I could have the drum sequencing written all in a plugin but this makes things easier. I already wrote a code where I can tap four on the floor any time with the food, and then the beat coninues auomatically with the tempo I tapped. I then can switch in hihat and clap eg. with further taps. This is just the first idea. I want to extend the funtionality and checking the technical possibilities.

I checked reaverb with "ZL" checked and unchecked, It doesn't make a difference on the play button latency.

P.S.: I also found reatune on two tracks with PDC. But disabling these doesn't help. Is it possible that by default there is a tiny latency on the transport buttons. usually people probably don't care..

Last edited by Chris T; 12-01-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Is it possible that by default there is a tiny latency on the transport buttons. usually people probably don't care..
I don't see why this should be the case, but I don't suppose there are no specs regarding this special case.

Let us know what you find...

-Michael
Old 12-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Dstruct

Preferences/Audio/Buffering: prebuffer (maybe 0% helps)
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote