Old 10-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
onestone
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper will not open

Got to the gig the other night with cameras rolling and Reaper would not open. It just said the program would not respond...waited as long as 20 min for it to open. I Shut down the computer 5 times to do a reboot and nothing. Ran a diagnostic on memory and there was enough. What should I do?
onestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 01:42 AM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestone View Post
Got to the gig the other night with cameras rolling and Reaper would not open. It just said the program would not respond...waited as long as 20 min for it to open. I Shut down the computer 5 times to do a reboot and nothing. Ran a diagnostic on memory and there was enough. What should I do?
Try holding the SHIFT-key while launching Reaper (which should bypass loading any last opened projects and load an empty project)

Otherwise which operating system and Reaper version are you using?

Last edited by solger; 10-31-2016 at 01:53 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 AM   #3
onestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Try holding the SHIFT-key while launching Reaper (which should bypass loading any last opened projects and load an empty project)

Otherwise which operating system and Reaper version are you using?
Windows 10. Reaper V5.11/x64
Old 10-31-2016, 04:53 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Windows 10. Reaper V5.11/x64
OK, does the method with holding the SHIFT-KEY while launching Reaper work? Or is Reaper still not responding?
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #5
onestone

Quote:
OK, does the method with holding the SHIFT-KEY while launching Reaper work? Or is Reaper still not responding?
Unfortunately holding the SHIFT-Key while opening did not work. Any other thoughts?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
richie43

At this point I would install Reaper in a separate portable (and generic, no imported customizations) installation and see if you can open from that. If it does, I would guess a corrupted installation.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
onestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
At this point I would install Reaper in a separate portable (and generic, no imported customizations) installation and see if you can open from that. If it does, I would guess a corrupted installation.
So I uninstall and re-install? I want to transfer Reaper to my new computer anyway. Is there a way I can do that?
Old 11-04-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
richie43

Quote:
So I uninstall and re-install? I want to transfer Reaper to my new computer anyway. Is there a way I can do that?
No need to uninstall. A portable installation is a separate installation with all installed files in a location of your choice. You need to select the portable option while installing and select a location. I am suggesting this to see if a generic non-customized installation exhibits the same problems. If it doesn't, then we would know that your problems are from some corruption in your configuration.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:47 AM   #9
solger

Here's more info about how to do a portable install: http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/
Just make sure you install the portable version to a separate location or folder.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #10
onestone

Quote:
Here's more info about how to do a portable install: http://www.kennymania.com/videos/rea...all-of-reaper/
Just make sure you install the portable version to a separate location or folder.
I was able to do the portable install and could open up on my old computer (the one I use and could not open reaper) and my new computer. Both have windows 10. This is great but how do I get to all my stored files and open in the portable Reaper?