Old 10-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
Luster
Human being with feelings

Default REABORN 2 - Phoenix Mod

Hello folks!

First let me tell you: I love the Reaborn2 theme by Nick Moritz. I tried all of them which fly around but everytime I switch back instantly I got the feeling like coming home. For me it has the right design and the overall brightness. A lot of the themes today are too dark in my opinion, especially the arranger should be light.

So working with this theme I got the feeling after a while, that somehow it hurts the eyes. There is contrast in a way which doesn't help. For example the mute and solo buttons are screaming at me. These are elements I sure need but as long as those don't have a special state don't have be that "loud".

I am not a themer and I don't want to become one but the absence of Nick here (I hope he is safe and sound) and - for me - the lack of alternate themes "forced" me to have a look at the png files and what can be done to smooth the contrasty edges a little in this theme. So I started editing the transport background, the buttons, tcp and mcp bg files and thought WOW, this works out pretty well. Mind that my workstyle here is quick and dirty. I didn't thought about a systematic editing from start which of course leads to some problems with consistency here.

Some first impression:

Due to the stoneage like file size limits of the stash I had to split the whole thing. Advantage: You get everything with the theme - some helpful scripts for the layouts and the font.
Part 1:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2001/RE...mplete.zip.001
Part 2:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2002/RE...mplete.zip.002
Part 3:
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2003/RE...mplete.zip.003

Extra goodie: I made new graphics for the Latch Preview and a lot of new TCP and MCP layouts. To get some use of those layouts I uploaded a script pack. Download here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/30845/bfo%2...enix%20Mod.zip
Not enough? Download and import these custom actions to switch TCP and MCP layouts in sync:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/30850/REABO...g.ReaperKeyMap

So now the concept:
1. Grahpic style-father: Reaborn2
With the editing came the ideas to go further. I want to keep it related but realized that the work so far leads to a more comic / ableton / minimal look which pleases me. The proportions should stay the same. The emphasizes on the selected channel is beautiful in the original theme. Keep that.
2. Remove the black separation lines but keep overall gradients. For example the transport_bg has a very bright line at the top and the vertical segmentation is to exaggerated IMHO. The same for the TCP and MCP. I can differentiate the channels by all the elements which are part of it. No need for extra fat lines between channels. This leads to a more lighter and flatter optic.
3. Only important (text) information should be bright and very good readable. For the mixer this is per channel: Fader position, record, monitoring, automation if on, FX if on, plugins, track name and number. Labelling like in the MCP "Auto", "FX", "I/O", "Chain", "Envelopes" must be there but it just gives the eye some orientation in space. There is no real information in it. Two examples where Nick already did this: The fancy volume slider in the TCP - value is bright but the labeling not, additionally when selected it's red; The phase button in the MCP. Very nice done!
4. Readjust the metering. -48dB is pretty high IMHO and leads to a kind of nervous metering. 6 dB helps already. It's the same range like the Cubase metering with which I am used to work with.

Work in Progress?
As mentioned before - I did this relativ quick and dirty. Part of the reason is my lack of picture editing skills. It's a lot of try and error. There are skilled themers hanging around here who might find some uglyness in the details or simply things which could go further and improve... please tell me so! Additionally I have plans for the future:
1. Maybe a rescaling of the Faders. Point is - I don't go over zero dB with my mixer faders. So it's wasted (travel-)space. I thought about something radical like a -90 to 0 dB fader range. The problem is the fader cap: in normal position it kind of looks misplaced up there in relation to the meters. Guess I am so used to the standard zero position.
2. Maybe a resdesign of the TCP. My biggest gripe with it is the horizontal meter. Cubase is perfect in that regard. I was also impressed by the Albert-C Protools TCP - it's small and efficient and has vertical metering! - Got it!
3. Folder-state information in the mixer. REABORN (v1) had it but somehow it went missing in this Version. So far I have no idea how (=what is possible) to implement it. But I would love to see it happen. - Got it!
4. I love the tinted background in the inserts and send section of the mixer, so you get a "color-orientation". On the TCP on the other hand IMHO it's a little bit too much colored area, so it would be cool when only some part of it is tinted. The Label only is not enough on the other hand. Is something like this achievable by manipulating the pixeltransparency in the pngs? - Got it!

This is for the big part complete from my side. Further updates are more small adjustments. Have fun with it!

Disclaimer: I do this mod for my personal preferences and share it only because I believe some others might be interested in an updated REABORN 2. It might be, that the new folder indentation in the mixer isn't working for you, or even in the way. Well, the original theme was made for "big" screens so is this one.

--
Link to original theme: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=109744

Last edited by Luster; 06-27-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Update
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 AM   #2
pattonfreak1

Very cool
Old 11-01-2016, 04:11 AM   #3
ivansc

Just tried this out - rather nice!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:35 AM   #4
vanhaze

This is looking great on my macbook retina , many thanks !!
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
How can I insert a picture here? Used the img tags and a http adress to the stash picture...
Dunno about uploading the pic here and showing it. Never got that going either : ) But if you upload it to a free image sharing site (I use imgur) then paste the link for forums it works.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Dunno about uploading the pic here and showing it. Never got that going either : ) But if you upload it to a free image sharing site (I use imgur) then paste the link for forums it works.
Thanks for the info. The function build into the forum is very limited regarding size - and this mod was especially made because in the big pictures I weren't quite happy with the original. Relying on third parties for the pictures is kind of sad. In my journeys through old feature requests I found so much discussions about picture examples which won't load - the whole discussion then is kind of broken / not understandable. A pity.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #7
Luster

Default Update - 0.6

Heyho,

I realised for myself that the meters don't tell me that much. RME Digicheck is my reference for metering - it's easy to read and precise. But sometimes it's just a lot of screen space (= in the way) and you only have the master level in view of course. So I tweaked those graphics to a more segmented look. Can't remember if I had seen something similar somewhere before but so far I am happy. In case you want the old metering - the files are still there in the theme archive, just rename those.

Still I would love to limit the tinted area in the TCP to only a small vertical section... any hint how to achieve this?

With best regards,
Luster.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #8
Luster

Default Update - 0.7

Finally I understood how to manipulate transparency on pixel level. So I switched the rtconfig to Reaper 5 to have better tinting options. Reworked the TCP so the whole theme doesn't look like Smarties when working with coloured tracks.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Indemuse

Looks great! Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited by Indemuse; 11-11-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Indemuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:55 AM   #10
vanhaze

I experience a few graphic glitches in Transport Bar:

http://imgur.com/KiwIh7y

Macbook Retina 2015
OSX 10.12.1
Old 11-12-2016, 05:32 AM   #11
Luster

Hmm. Looks like you catched some old file. I started the editing with the transport bar and my first lesson was - keep that pinky lines like they are.
Now I am wondering how these old version got in your hands and why nobody else mentioned something this obvious. The revision/version handling for theme devs and mods isn't the best in reaper. Just a lot of files in a lot of folders and zips.
What layout are you using for Transport?

Ps. Just redownloaded and can't reproduce this. I guess when you load the theme it catches an old version for the transport_bg because you didn't set the layout for the transport to "default". I tidy up the archive with the next version.

Last edited by Luster; 11-12-2016 at 05:37 AM. Reason: double checked.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:38 AM   #12
vanhaze

Many thanks for helping me :0)

There are 2 Transport Bar Layouts that i both tried:
1280 px

Both show the graphic glitches for me.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
Luster

The pinky lines in the transport_bg are correct. Do you have the newest version of the theme?

Edit: Got it! It's your screen! Too low resolution. It's one of the requirements of the original theme that you need at least 1280 px width.

Edit2: I am aware that your screen has an amazing and magical high resolution but you need to adjust your graphic settings to use those pixels.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #14
vanhaze

I don't understand.
I use a Macbook Retina 2015.
As far as i know it uses a standard resolution of 2880 by 1800 by default.
So should be sufficient.

Confused here what you actually mean and how to solve my issue.

BTW: I am using the latest version , from stash : 0.7.

Last edited by vanhaze; 11-12-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #15
Luster

With this screen comes a difference between pixels on the real panel and the pixels what a software can you use. You have a setting where everything is relativly big but you won't see that much. You can change that setting, just look it up. Mac OS settings dialogs are pretty straight forward. ;-P
Old 02-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #16
Luster

Default An update

What happened:
I changed the fonts in use for this theme all to "Clear Sans", an open source font from Intel. I worked with it for a while and IMHO it's one of the best readable fonts for display / GUI. That's a matter of taste and every font, like this one too, has it's issues. Because of that I didn't update the archive online.

My next step is the redesign of the TCP. Here is a screenshot of the actual version:

And this is my dream:

I am not sure if this is possible. I want a vertical meter and IMHO at that position it feels very good. But I am not sure if you can put it there and also (the meter is fixed in size and IMHO that is good so) it would be only viewable when the TCP is quite high which is also a major drawback.

So I am asking for help. Because for a newbie, editing the RT config file is hard. And this theme has multiple layouts, so there are tricky dependencies in the file...

Every feedback is appreciated.

Edit: Just realised that the track Input and monitoring stuff is not incorporated in the mock-up. So yes, it's just a rough idea.

Last edited by Luster; 02-05-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:33 AM   #17
PelF

Hello Luster, I also love Reaborn2 and my dream is big horizontal vu meter in TCP, which shows peaks. Also, I am not sure if this is possible ...

Last edited by PelF; 02-06-2017 at 02:14 PM.
PelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
Maximus

Thanks a lot for this great theme!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #19
Luster

Default Update - 0.8.5

The redesign of the TCP is on halt.

I incorporated a new font in the theme. I highly recommend it. You have to download it separately:
https://01.org/clear-SANS

Not absolutely sure if I am allowed to put the font file in the theme archive. It's apache license...

When renaming tracks there is a little glitch - part of the letters can get cut off.

Also I wasn't able to make the text in the transport section bigger. I have no idea how or what is limiting there but I tried really hard.

The separator and minimal TCP (and MCP) layouts got reworked so the tinting works like expected. Also removed the colour cast on the name labels.

TCP redesign is still in my head but I need more time / help for that.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #20
Luster

Default Update - 0.8.7

Good evening!

VCAs are a kind of special use case where you don't need every element in the mixer. So I created a simple layout without meter, fx and I/O buttons.
I also fixed a font issue so please update your theme file.
Some minor graphic changes also. Sometimes hard to remember every change in detail when you edit the theme along the way.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:00 AM   #21
drichard

This is a nice looking theme. I'm just starting with it, so maybe I'm missing something. How does one expand and contract folders in the mixer? I use folders a lot.

Again, it really looks nice.

Quote:
Hello folks!

First let me tell you: I love the Reaborn2 theme by Nick Moritz. I tried all of them which fly around but everytime I switch back instantly I got the feeling like coming home. For me it has the right design and the overall brightness. A lot of the themes today are too dark in my opinion, especially the arranger should be light.

So working with this theme I got the feeling after a while, that somehow it hurts the eyes. There is contrast in a way which doesn't help. For example the mute and solo buttons are screaming at me. These are elements I sure need but as long as those don't have a special state don't have be that "loud".

I am not a themer and I don't want to become one but the absence of Nick here (I hope he is safe and sound) and - for me - the lack of alternate themes "forced" me to have a look at the png files and what can be done to smooth the contrasty edges a little in this theme. So I started editing the transport background, the buttons, tcp and mcp bg files and thought WOW, this works out pretty well. Mind that my workstyle here is quick and dirty. I didn't thought about a systematic editing from start which of course leads to some problems with consistency here.

Link to original theme: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=109744
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 AM   #22
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
This is a nice looking theme. I'm just starting with it, so maybe I'm missing something. How does one expand and contract folders in the mixer? I use folders a lot.

Again, it really looks nice.
AFAIK there is no interface option in the mixer to toggle folder states. You only can visualize the state in some way. An that is not implemented in the original Reaborn 2 theme. But I want to achieve something like this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187985

But that will take time...
Old 02-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #23
drichard

I don't know enough about themes to understand the mechanics of it, but all of the themes I use have a button to expand and contract folder tracks in the mixer. I have no idea how they do it, only that they do. In your picture, are you referring to the down arrows? It wasn't obvious to me.

Again, it's a really nice looking theme, but because I use folders so often I won't be using it for any projects that have them.

I understand that your time is donated, and I have no expectations that you will make further changes. I appreciate what you have done. I do prefer the compact version of the mixer channels, and I wouldn't mind if the faders/meters were longer, but those are quibbles.

Quote:
AFAIK there is no interface option in the mixer to toggle folder states. You only can visualize the state in some way. An that is not implemented in the original Reaborn 2 theme. But I want to achieve something like this:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187985

But that will take time...
Old 02-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #24
Luster

Quote:
I don't know enough about themes to understand the mechanics of it, but all of the themes I use have a button to expand and contract folder tracks in the mixer. I have no idea how they do it, only that they do.
Sorry but I believe we misunderstand us here. AFAIK it is not possible to switch folder state or collapse folder within the mixer (MCP). Of course this is possible in the TCP but that is already happening in this theme.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #25
drichard

No, I didn't misunderstand, I think it is you who does. Many themes offer the ability to expand and collapse folders and their tracks from within the mixer itself. I am not talking about the TCP. Off the top of my head themes that include this are the various Commola, Imperial, and the Pro Tools variants. In Imperial and Commola a folder track has a button for opening and closing the folder, while in Pro Tools X it is a slot below the Send list. AFAIK most themes offer this capability.

Quote:
Sorry but I believe we misunderstand us here. AFAIK it is not possible to switch folder state or collapse folder within the mixer (MCP). Of course this is possible in the TCP but that is already happening in this theme.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
Luster

Quote:
No, I didn't misunderstand, I think it is you who does. Many themes offer the ability to expand and collapse folders and their tracks from within the mixer itself. I am not talking about the TCP. Off the top of my head themes that include this are the various Commola, Imperial, and the Pro Tools variants. In Imperial and Commola a folder track has a button for opening and closing the folder, while in Pro Tools X it is a slot below the Send list. AFAIK most themes offer this capability.
Ok. I tested the themes named in my normal Reaper as in a portable default config and the folder icons in the MCP in all themes are just icons. There is no interaction possible. Someone else has to chime in say how it works on his side because I have no idea what is going on here.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #27
drichard

I'm not sure why you're unable to make this work. I'm on PC, are you on Mac maybe? But I can assure you the buttons are not simply icons, and how they work is quite simple. You press them to close the folder, press them again to open the folder. For example, say you have 4 regular tracks, then 7 tracks inside a folder track, for a total of 12. Pressing the button once closes the folder and you only see five tracks displayed - the four regular tracks and the folder track. Press it again and you see all 12 tracks.

It's a fundamental capability. When you have, say, 50 tracks in a project, you manage the display by opening and closing folders.

Quote:
Ok. I tested the themes named in my normal Reaper as in a portable default config and the folder icons in the MCP in all themes are just icons. There is no interaction possible. Someone else has to chime in say how it works on his side because I have no idea what is going on here.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #28
Luster

Thanks for your patience.

I can imagine how it should work and actually this is the way it works for me also in the arranger / TCP but _not_ in the mixer. In the MCP there are only indicator icons. I am on a PC too but honestly - I don't think that matters. Someone else has to chime in and clear things up.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
drichard

There are differences. In the arranger you have three options for folder tracks: Tracks inside the folder displayed at full size, at a small size, or minimized. But they are always visible, even when minimized. But in the mixer the behavior has two modes. Either the tracks inside the folder are displayed, or they are completely hidden. There is no view in which their size is diminished or minimized, they are simply visible, or not. In most themes the folder button (In the mixer) changes state based on whether the folder is open or closed. It might light up, or it might turn from green to red, but usually it somehow indicates the state of the folder.

Quote:
Thanks for your patience.

I can imagine how it should work and actually this is the way it works for me also in the arranger / TCP but _not_ in the mixer. In the MCP there are only indicator icons. I am on a PC too but honestly - I don't think that matters. Someone else has to chime in and clear things up.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #30
Luster

Got it:
In the Master MCP mixer menu under controls: Folder icon toggles children wasn't selected here. That was the culprit.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #31
drichard

Great! I was hoping there was a simple explanation.

Quote:
Got it:
In the Master MCP mixer menu under controls: Folder icon toggles children wasn't selected here. That was the culprit.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #32
Luster

Default Update - 0.9.0

Hello folks!

This update is a big one. It might be the point were this mod starts to differ too much for some followers. But IMHO it's a way forward. I implemented folder indentation into the mixer and TBH I am proud as hell. The Walter code behind might not look very sexy or elegant but boy - I don't care. It looks cool.

Also there was a wrong image for the standard I/O field with disabled master send. Fixed.

The new disadvantage: The alignment of the master MCP isn't working anymore.
The next goal: Rework the master MCP.
Then: Rework the TCP.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #33
germano

Very good Theme.
germano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #34
drichard

Thanks!

Quote:
Hello folks!

This update is a big one. It might be the point were this mod starts to differ too much for some followers. But IMHO it's a way forward. I implemented folder indentation into the mixer and TBH I am proud as hell. The Walter code behind might not look very sexy or elegant but boy - I don't care. It looks cool.

Also there was a wrong image for the standard I/O field with disabled master send. Fixed.

The new disadvantage: The alignment of the master MCP isn't working anymore.
The next goal: Rework the master MCP.
Then: Rework the TCP.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #35
Masonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelF View Post
Hello Luster, I also love Reaborn2 and my dream is big horizontal vu meter in TCP, which shows peaks. Also, I am not sure if this is possible ...

I have to say, horizontal meters in TCP is the only type of metering that makes sense to me. I hope it will be taken into consideration in this, otherwise, perfect theme. I think, the way Samplitude designers made their TCP, is the most efficient placement of controls out there, the meter, volume slider and pan are all perfectly alined.
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #36
hopi

Default a request please

Hi Luster, thanks for this work... I too like this theme and think your improvements are welcome

I have one request if you might be able to do it... Let me explain:

There is a mcp layout for big meters... however when used it is slightly wider by a couple pixels than the standard mcp layout...

Now this is only a problem IF people use the MCP docked to the left of the TCP as a 'track inspector'... [set the mcp so the master is floating in it's own window and also set for scrolling and most importantly, set to NOT show multiple rows!]

The problem is that a 'track inspector' mcp, changes with each track you have selected.. so if some use the normal layout and some use the big meters layout, the width of the 'track inspector' had to be ajusted.. and that is not a good thing at all!

IF the big meters mcp and the normal mcp layouts were all the same width in pixels, this problem would be gone.

I wonder if you might take on this change???
Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #37
Luster

Hey hopi,

don't know what is going on on your side. Here all the standard layouts of the MCP have exactly 89 pixel width - also the big meter layout. The compact one has 71 pixel width, like the VCA.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #38
Luster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonic View Post
I have to say, horizontal meters in TCP is the only type of metering that makes sense to me. I hope it will be taken into consideration in this, otherwise, perfect theme. I think, the way Samplitude designers made their TCP, is the most efficient placement of controls out there, the meter, volume slider and pan are all perfectly aligned.
Ok. Some background thoughts from my side about horizontal vs. vertical vs. scaled vs. non-scaled meters.

Non-scaled meters have the advantage that you get used to see values without having to think about the relation to the actual size of the meter. E.g. a -12 dB is always lighting the same pixels up. Also multiple meters are way easier comparable. See here:

Which one is louder?
Same stuff with non-scaled meters:

But! In the TCP, precise metering and level comparing isn't that relevant. Here I just need the info that something is happening on that track and roughly how loud it is. So this is more relevant for the mixer. Still I find it intriguing.

Horizontal (non-scaled) meters have less height then vertical (surprise!), so even if the TCP is small you get them positioned in the layout.
Scaled vertical meters like in the first picture on the other hand are always there and will work.
But IMHO they don't fit into the style of this theme. Although I am used to that kind of metering from Cubase and love it some way I am not sure if this is the way to go for this theme.

But sorry guys: scaled horizontal meters will never be a thing for me.

Last edited by Luster; 02-21-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: better wording
Old 02-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #39
Luster

Default Update - 0.9.1

Just a quick fix of the font sizes in transport status area and the track labelling.
Also the big meter layout has now the same style in the extended mixer area. Looks better IMHO. When you want to revert: Look in the rtconfig file for the comments in the appropriate section..
Old 02-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #40
Masonic

Quote:
Ok. Some background thoughts from my side about horizontal vs. vertical vs. scaled vs. non-scaled meters.

Non-scaled meters have the advantage that you get used to see values without having to think about the relation to the actual size of the meter. E.g. a -12 dB is always lighting the same pixels up. Also multiple meters are way easier comparable. See here:

Which one is louder?
Same stuff with non-scaled meters:

But! In the TCP, precise metering and level comparing isn't that relevant. Here I just need the info that something is happening on that track and roughly how loud it is. So this is more relevant for the mixer. Still I find it intriguing.

Horizontal (non-scaled) meters have less height then vertical (surprise!), so even if the TCP is small you get them positioned in the layout.
Scaled vertical meters like in the first picture on the other hand are always there and will work.
But IMHO they don't fit into the style of this theme. Although I am used to that kind of metering from Cubase and love it some way I am not sure if this is the way to go for this theme.

But sorry guys: scaled horizontal meters will never be a thing for me.
Previously, I mostly worked in Samplitude, and there, I didn't have to open a mixer in over 10 years. Having a well designed TCP is insanely important. However, I understand that different people have different workflows. This was simply my hopeful thinking

At this point, none of the TCP designs in Reaper are good enough to entirely bypass the mixer. Maybe one day... :-)
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote