Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Avgatzeblouz
Human being with feelings

Default 2 instances, 2 Asio drivers, and Rearoute

Hi everyone, I'm trying to use Reaper as a virtual patchbay thanks to its great Rearoute feature. What I wanna do is open one instance loading my RME ASIO driver, and Rearoute, and open a second instance loading Dante Virtual Soundcard ASIO driver and Rearoute as well. In my tests, I was able to open 2 instances with different ASIO drivers, but I've never been able to have the second instance seeing Rearoute. I tried with "Spawn a new instance", and with a portable version.

Is it possible, and is anyone having a great idea ?

Thanks !
Avgatzeblouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Avgatzeblouz

Anyone ?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
16bit

What version are you using?
There were some problems with 64bit Rearoute if I understand/remember. I had to run 32 bit v4 version to get it working for me.
16bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #4
Avgatzeblouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
What version are you using?
There were some problems with 64bit Rearoute if I understand/remember. I had to run 32 bit v4 version to get it working for me.
Last version 5.33 I think. Rearoute shows up in the normal install, but not in the portable one.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
SonicAxiom

I can't find ReaRoute on my computer but I route audio over the network using ReaStream. Put ReaStream into the track fx of a track or the master on the sending machine. Set the sending instance to "broadcast" and the receiving instance to "receive" and use the same identifier in both instances. Using different instances with different identifiers allows you to route multiple streams to different receivers (tracks or even computers).

In case you have Reaper installed portably you'd need to install it once in a non-portable manner and then copy the installed ReaStream.dll to the other machine's Vstplugins folder (provided that you are using Windows).
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
SonicAxiom

btw, why are you using Dante Virtual Soundcard? What other Dante device(s) are you connecting it to?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
Avgatzeblouz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
btw, why are you using Dante Virtual Soundcard? What other Dante device(s) are you connecting it to?
What I'm trying to achieve is to route some of my tracks to an other computer to process some heavy plugins. I'm using VEPRO right now, but latency compensation is not working for busses or auxes. So instead of sending my audio through ADAT (I should buy 2 ADAT interfaces), I'm trying to use Dante virtual soundcard. I'm mixing on Samplitude, and using an RME mutiface for analog I/Os. So I would like to have 2 Reaper instances that I would use as a virtual patchbay : Rearoute <-> RME and Rearoute <-> Dante. That way I could mix in Samplitude, using the ASIO driver Rearoute, and use for example Rearoute I/O 1-64 patched to Dante, and Rearoute I/O 65-85 patched to RME.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
mschnell

I don't suppose this will decently work.

Please see and support -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187214

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
AugerJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
What I'm trying to achieve is to route some of my tracks to an other computer to process some heavy plugins. I'm using VEPRO right now, but latency compensation is not working for busses or auxes. So instead of sending my audio through ADAT (I should buy 2 ADAT interfaces), I'm trying to use Dante virtual soundcard. I'm mixing on Samplitude, and using an RME mutiface for analog I/Os. So I would like to have 2 Reaper instances that I would use as a virtual patchbay : Rearoute <-> RME and Rearoute <-> Dante. That way I could mix in Samplitude, using the ASIO driver Rearoute, and use for example Rearoute I/O 1-64 patched to Dante, and Rearoute I/O 65-85 patched to RME.
Hi. I think ReaRoute ASIO works differently:
REAPER using a hardware ASIO driver,
another sequencer using ReaRoute ASIO —
and that's it.
(The second sequencer sends audio to REAPER.)
Just one audio driver for each audio application.
Unless I'm missing something.

You might want to have a look at ASIO Link
https://o-deus-audio.com.au/ASIOLinkPro
(My knowledge about it is very limited.)

Last edited by AugerJ; 03-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgatzeblouz View Post
Do you have Dante Virtual Soundcard installed on both machines? Having it only on one machine doesn't really make sense because there will be no source or destination for it to route audio from/to. However, you could add Dante Via on the other computer. In contrast to Dante Virtual Soundcard, Dante Via can aggregate all audio devices connected to a computer (any USB/Firewire interfaces, soundcards) and also all of the software in/outs (Reaper, Skype, media player) and route audio between them on the same machine. Obviously, you can also route all this to the other computer.

Dante Via currently has a limit of 16 routable channels, though, but this might not really be a show-stopper. You could even use one Dante audio channel to send an LTC timecode signal to the second computer and sample-accurately sync their transports. Both machines act as one big project.