Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
arwe
Human being with feelings

Default A Few How To Questions

I'm trying to mix tracks that I've imported (thanks for previous help)and am unable to perform what seem to be very simple operations. How can I -

1)select a portion of a single track (or of several tracks) using the mouse so that I may cut it, copy it, etc.

2)enable scrolling during playback. As it is, when I hit play, the tracks stay put. I did check "Automatically scroll view during playback" under Options but to no avail.

3)find a simple, variable delay reverb.

4) expand the track amplitude so that I can see the waves which are miniscule to the point I can not tell there's anything recorded.

5) change the format in which recorded data is displayed. Now a sine-like wave is shown rather the the dense spikes and peaks I'm used to seeing.

THanks very much.

Arwe

Thanks.
arwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwe View Post
I'm trying to mix tracks that I've imported (thanks for previous help)and am unable to perform what seem to be very simple operations. How can I -

1)select a portion of a single track (or of several tracks) using the mouse so that I may cut it, copy it, etc.

2)enable scrolling during playback. As it is, when I hit play, the tracks stay put. I did check "Automatically scroll view during playback" under Options but to no avail.

3)find a simple, variable delay reverb.

4) expand the track amplitude so that I can see the waves which are miniscule to the point I can not tell there's anything recorded.

5) change the format in which recorded data is displayed. Now a sine-like wave is shown rather the the dense spikes and peaks I'm used to seeing.

THanks very much.

Arwe

Thanks.
1. Right click and drag a region to cover the area of the track(s) you want to alter. Now you can either right-click below all tracks and affect everything in the region from a menu or righ-click on a track and see a menu to affect only selected items. In the latter case click (or ctrl-click) on any item you want affected. Choices include things like "cut selected area of selected items" etc. Play with it.

2. Not sure. Mine has always scrolled. If you open reaper with teh "reset to factory defaults" option, does it work?

3. Simple reverb. Load Reaverb? Or SIR? Click on "Add" in Reaverb and you will see some options that may give you what you want.

4. Press the + button (bottom right of track viewer) to zoom in vertically. Or use a "~" to zoom right in. Or amplify the data. To zoom horizontally, I find using the scroll wheel on my mouse the easiest way (while the mouse is over the track viewer).

5. Not sure what you are seeing. Does Options/Preferences and then the Media entry under Appearance help?
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
arwe

Alistair, thanks for your help. I have been able to figure out the problems with amplitude, view and scrolling. I had unknowingly dramatically zoomed to the degree that I wasn't even seeing the recorded part of the waves. Zooming back out fixed these issues.

I still can't get a good reverb. Reaverb doesn't seem to be Reverb as far as my ears can tell. Also, right clicking and dragging does not allow me to select a portion of a track. In fact, it doesn't highlight the area at all.

Arwe
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Alistair S

Errr.. sorry .. left-click and drag. I get fuddled.

I must admit I use impulses for Reverb mostly (using either SIR or Reaverb). You might try FreeVerbToo, which is a nice reverb from here.. http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~drumbest/freeToo16.zip
Old 12-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
arwe

Thanks for the reverb link.

I still can't select a selection of a track. When I left click and drag, the whole track moves. Is there a mouse setting that must be enabled to allow selecting rather than moving a track?

Where can I find a rundown on the basics of mastering in Reaper, once the mixing is done?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Serendipity

select the track/tracks then left-click and drag in the timeline or above/below an event, not directly on it.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #7
bigwoody

There are a couple of ways to work with a section of a track. First you must split the track. Left click your cursor at the starting point and right click and select split items at cursor, or simply push "s" key. Note that if you have several tracks selected they will all split at the same point (handy feature) Do the same thing for the ending point. Now you can drag, delete whatever that piece of the track. You can also select an area by left clicking up in the timebar and dragging the mouse. Now when you select the track, you can again right click and choose one of the options, or Shift+s to split the section.

Mastering a track after mixing in Reaper is called "render" and is in the main file menu. I assume what you mean is generate a single stereo file for the mixed song. Render is well documented in the manual, as are the many options for output files.

Hope this helps
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Art Evans
Mortal

ctrl/rightclick/drag allows you to create a highlight on top of items in tracks, as opposed to leftclick drag in any area where there are no items.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #9
politcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Evans View Post
ctrl/rightclick/drag allows you to create a highlight on top of items in tracks, as opposed to leftclick drag in any area where there are no items.
tried ctrl/rightclick/drag and it didn't do anything.

is there a quick way to select a region of all tracks to copy and paste? copy-paste chorus for instance
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Art Evans
Mortal

Yup, create a region! Then you can drag it or a copy thereof wherever you like. Check out the keyboard shortcut list.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
arwe

Thanks to all for the help with selection.

And thanks for your help with rendering, which was a part of my question. I'm now trying to figure out what processing functions Reaper includes for sound mastering to get the best sound from the mix. I'm totally new to this.

Are there any good online resources from which to learn some mastering fundamentals?

Arwe
Old 12-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #12
Alistair S

I have found this site helpful.. http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

Also http://audiominds.com/ (I can't remember, does this one belong to someone here?

A useful forum (some good old threads that are stickied - especially the Microphone thread by Harvey Gerst). http://homerecording.com/bbs/index.php?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:17 AM   #14
arwe

Alistair and Gerry, thanks for the info.

On another subject, how should record level be set? I really don't have a good handle on this. Is it all right to set input level to keep peaks just below the red box on the level meter or is this still too high? Is there a specific dB level that I should not exceed?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Gerry G

Default Recording levels

Art (and others here) will be way more experienced in this area than me but here is how I go about it:

1.Try to get all levels a little below the peaks so that there is a bit of headroom for combining tracks later.

2.Theoretically you can go almost to the peak but digital distortion is horrible (unlike analog distortion which can be sweet).

2A. You may have to set levels at a number of stages on your hardware and software to optomise without peaking and mics may need to go through a pre-amp stage to bring them up to line input level.

3. Get everybody to play the loudest passage possible and then test it to see if it peaks.

4. Lower all volume levels a bit. If recording in 24 bit then you have plenty of space so stay well away from peaks and then lower all the volumes a tad to be inside the peaking level.
Gerry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:11 AM   #16
arwe

Gerry, thanks for your reply. It looks like there's no "easy" way to set level, and that it's a matter of some trial and error - which shouldn't take too long with some experience. I'd hoped that just keeping the level below a certain dB reading would be all it takes.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #17
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
I'd hoped that just keeping the level below a certain dB reading would be all it takes.
Well, that is all it takes - and the "certain dB" is zero (full scale)! Some like to aim for as low a figure as -12dB for "typical" peaks, leaving lots of room for the unexpected ones. Personally on a live recording, the only way I keep awake is to try to get the highest peak to hit -.01dB without having once adjusted levels during the concert, but I wouldn't recommend that kind of risk taking to those able to stay awake with coffee instead...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #18
Jed

No doubt about it Art - you like living on the edge......

Cheers
Jed
Old 12-31-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
Bevoss

A good rule of thumb is -12dB average with -6 dB peaks, gives you a bit of headroom to play with. In 24 bit you have a much higher dynamic range, so it's not like the old analogue days when you had to get the level as hot as possible to maximize signal-to-noise ratio...as long as you don't clip the signal in the preamps or converters you are pretty much good, cause you can always turn it up later in the Daw without increasing noise appreciably.

Be especially careful with bass for instance which can have huge transients that might surprise you...

Oh yeah, if you are used to left-click drag and select from other daws, try this:

Left-click to select the item you wish to edit...Ctrl-right click drag on the item area to select a loop area, then shift-S to split both sides of the loop, then finally Ctrl-X or Ctrl-C to cut or copy. (If your Ctrl/right-click drag doesn't work, check the mouse editing behaviour in preferences.)

Last edited by Bevoss; 01-01-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 AM   #20
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
Be especially careful with bass for instance which can have huge transients that might surprise you...
Not to mention operatic sopranos (so I won't).