Old 11-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
SteveR
Human being with feelings

Default Rock Solid is a kick @ss Theme

Great Theme! Thank you for making and sharing it.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
ivansc

plus one. that and albert's gem are the only two themes i use now.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
vStyler

Its a nice 'different' type theme, but too many visual inconsistencies for moi.

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884
vStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

This may be counter-intuitive, but visual inconsistency is a cornerstone of UX design when element count is high, because it aids visual searching. Making things look very similar makes the whole more appealing, but research has demonstrated that, from a scientific rather than artistic stance, it is a functionally inferior approach. I think its a groovy theme and, if anything, I would counsel NandyC to make even more of the buttons visually distinct
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
vStyler

Maybe I should have explained what I meant better, I meant the patchwork makeup of the theme, It isn't fully skinned, elements from different themes, mixes of blue'd greys and colorless greys, 3D knobs, that don't 'appear' to turn, shadows and lighting from opposite and different directions. The jaggedness of the play button arrow.. perhaps small stuff to most, to myself these things stand out greatly.

I can find things pretty easily in most every theme, its not a puzzle, once u get used to any ui, you will know thru repetitive motion where things are even if they aren't visually apparent.

So, to me at least, having the 'whole' look great, is a must. If I couldn't modify it myself, just one small dislike is enough for me to ditch a UI.

The layout, button design, overall is adventurous in its concept and quite interesting, I'm just overly picky when it comes to graphical consistency.

I look forward to Imperial.

My Rado - VOX theme - http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=91884

Last edited by vStyler; 11-30-2011 at 06:47 PM.
vStyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Mod Bod

For me, I couldn't deal with the 3d knobs that look that they were out of perspective. That said, there are plenty of themes to go around, it seems that there is to be something out there for anyone's likes.

http://www.gatortraks.com
Mod Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
flightzone

The best I have used so far!! If I could change anything it would be the faders look funny!! and the color of the meters! but I love it!
flightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Coachz

Agreed, that's why I like very unique icons on my launcher for apps. Makes it much easier to find them as my brain gets imprinted with their unique colors and patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
This may be counter-intuitive, but visual inconsistency is a cornerstone of UX design when element count is high, because it aids visual searching. Making things look very similar makes the whole more appealing, but research has demonstrated that, from a scientific rather than artistic stance, it is a functionally inferior approach. I think its a groovy theme and, if anything, I would counsel NandyC to make even more of the buttons visually distinct

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
NandyC

Wow, thanks SteveR... I was made up when I read the thread title! I am really glad you like it!

I only made the theme as a bit of an experiment, and I was really pleased with the result. I knew it definitely wouldn't be to everybody's taste as I made it quite quirky on purpose, but I posted it it up thinking if one person liked it that would be a good result! I have been really surprised and delighted by all the positive comments.... I am always amazed at how overwhelmingly friendly and positive the whole REAPER experience is!

All the best.....
Nandy
NandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
LIAC

Default ROCK SOLID THEME RULES - PERIOD!

I've been utilizing Rock Solid theme since it's release, and it is tops! Initially, my concern was whether or not it would work well with my dual Behringer BCF2000 setup. I'm glad to say, that it works well with great accuracy! I'm talking automation, mute, solo, punch in/out, the whole nine! Rock Solid theme gets 5/5 stars in my book.
LIAC is offline   Reply With Quote