Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
jackdied
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Stock Plugins

I have Waves SSL bundle so i generally do my mixes with them. Yesterday i sent a mix to client. And today i decided to do same mix with reaper stock plugins (Reas and JSs) just for experiment. I can definitely say that they are very very good. Result is just amazing and mixing process was very fast!. Yes, i did same mix a day before so maybe i knew what should i do but i really didn't expect this result. Especially ReaComp is one of the most powerful compressor i tried. It can be a buss compressor or used for tracks by changing knee size, rms size and filter parameters. Very flexible! Also JS library has lots of tools for coloring mix. I'm very happy to explore power of Reaper stock plugins.
jackdied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
James HE

ReaComp is one of the best non "character" compressors out there, because of it's versatility.

After about 6 years of using ReaEQ, everything else just seems slightly "wrong" (I do have a few eq's I like to use specifically for high end or low end boosts)
Bear in mind I mostly hate phase linear eq's....

ReaFIR is quite amazing. It's not exactly easy to dial in, so I use it only on very critical soft material. Good eq, and does a great job of noise reduction.

ReaGate is pretty special. IS there any other gate that can do a reverse gate without special routing?

I use a lot of Stillwell JS stuff. And love his VST plugins as well.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Teebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdied View Post
I have Waves SSL bundle so i generally do my mixes with them. Yesterday i sent a mix to client. And today i decided to do same mix with reaper stock plugins (Reas and JSs) just for experiment. I can definitely say that they are very very good. Result is just amazing and mixing process was very fast!. Yes, i did same mix a day before so maybe i knew what should i do but i really didn't expect this result. Especially ReaComp is one of the most powerful compressor i tried. It can be a buss compressor or used for tracks by changing knee size, rms size and filter parameters. Very flexible! Also JS library has lots of tools for coloring mix. I'm very happy to explore power of Reaper stock plugins.
Would love to know exactly what plugins you used in place of the SSL Stuff.
Also to hear a sample of each mix. Would be nice to hear your experiment.
Teebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Andy_bt

Yep, not a big fan of Waves emus in general and the noise thing is just a bad joke IMO I'd rather pick the Duende ones, for ITB I usually like "clean" better.
Haven't used Reaper stock plugs much but so far they always did the job just fine.
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Andy_bt

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
ReaGate is pretty special. IS there any other gate that can do a reverse gate without special routing?
If you're referring to "extreme ducking" like operation, Fabfilter and Live's gates do that also, they're probably others but I agree it's a nice and not so common feature
A.
Andy_bt is offline   Reply With Quote