Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 10-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
fuzzferatu
Human being with feelings

Default Recording and monitoring three live tracks

My wife and I have a little improv noise band, and we have casual practices and jams in our living room in an apartment. We have to be conscious of noise (har har), particularly after 10pm, which is practically lunchtime for us. We are children of the night!

Even though we have small practice amps, they are too loud for the music we play and the quiet we need to maintain. The other night we tried a headphone practice, rather clumsily because we lack a mixer. We just ran both guitars into my Boss ME-80 and plugged a splitter into the headphone jack. It didn't really work that well, the mush was even mushier than usual.

We also recorded it into my MacBook Pro with a Presonus Firebox (2 pre's and 2 line-ins) and Reaper. My goal is to be able to record every jam session and cherrypick the best bits for mixing and mastering. Thus I'm already running both instruments into the Presonus.

My question: can we monitor our guitars live through the Presonus headphone jack (again, split) without encountering too much latency? I usually just do overdubs so latency isn't a concern. I'd also like to add Amplitube or some amp sim onto each track so that the dry input gets some fake tube warmth.

What settings should I use?

Thanks in advance.
fuzzferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
zyisrad

The Firebox has the combo mic/instrument preamps so you can potentially run both guitars straight into it. You can set the device buffer down to 64 if it supports it and monitor everything live straight from the firebox since it has multiple outs. If you don't have another device that can power headphones then use a splitter on the single headphone out on the firebox. It likely won't get very loud.

Now if you want to keep a combo/instrument line free then run one guitar into the Boss and run that into a line in on the back of the Firebox. Then you can use the free combo/instrument preamp for a mic or whatever.

To get some decent sound out of a direct guitar you're going to need some amp sim and cab sim plugins. Look to this post for LePou amp sims and God's Cab IR library. http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=17

Guitar -> Firebox combo/instrument -> Reaper Track1

Track1 FX -> LePou amp Sim -> Reaverb with Gods Cab IR

That's the basic gist.
zyisrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
fuzzferatu

Nice, thank you! I'll try it.
fuzzferatu is offline   Reply With Quote