Old 07-03-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default GAP Pre73 jr with compressor pedal

Is it possible to use my Mooer Yellow Comp through the 1/4" inserts on the Pre73 jr? Or are those inserts line level?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #2
ivansc

Suppose you could, but since the moer is a guitar pedal, it would probably make more sense to put it before the instrument input on the GAP.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Suppose you could, but since the moer is a guitar pedal, it would probably make more sense to put it before the instrument input on the GAP.
Well, I like to have my compression follow the pre in most tracking situations.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
ashcat_lt

The level that comes out of that jack is going to depend on the level you put into it and probably where you've set the gain knob. I'm not sure if the output knob will effect it, but it shouldn't (right???). If these folks are like everybody else in the world, then there's probably 9-10db added just by plugging into the "instrument" input...

So, like, if it ends up too loud for the pedal, then don't turn it up so damn much!
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The level that comes out of that jack is going to depend on the level you put into it and probably where you've set the gain knob. I'm not sure if the output knob will effect it, but it shouldn't (right???). If these folks are like everybody else in the world, then there's probably 9-10db added just by plugging into the "instrument" input...

So, like, if it ends up too loud for the pedal, then don't turn it up so damn much!
Cool. I suppose I could simply run it in between the output of the pre73 and the interface right?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
ivansc

Apart from the potential impedance mismatch. Line out into HiZ in, HiZ out into line in could get interesting.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
ashcat_lt

Line out into Hi-Z in is never a problem. If the output of the pedal was actually as high-Z as a guitar, it might be an issue going to a typical line input, but most pedals are actually pretty low impedance at the output. I run pedals into line inputs all the time and never have real problems.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
kirk1701

It's worth a try anyway. I actually emailed GAP to be doubly sure.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Bristol Posse

Try it and see.
You're not going to hurt anything by doing so.

Assuming you have the right insert cable configuration, the most likely initial outcome is you get a crazy, over compressed, distorted signal because you're feeding the compressor way more level than it is expecting.

So then you'll back way down on the pre and maybe get more of what you're looking for although maybe a bit more noisy than a line level device.

Sometimes using things in non traditional ways can get you exactly what you want and if you already have all the gear, it doesn't cost you anything to try it.
Bristol Posse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post

Assuming you have the right insert cable configuration
What do you mean?
Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Bristol Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
What do you mean?
If it has a traditional insert point it will have a single TRS jack acting as both unbalanced out and in. Usually set up with Tip as send and Ring as return and Sleeve as the screen or less commonly vice versa. For inserts you normally need a Y cable that goes TRS to what looks like two TS jacks that go to the outboard gear's input and output, although the wiring is a little more complex under the hood.

If you plug the two TS jacks in to the outboard I/O the wrong way round you get nothing, switch em around an you're in business
Attached Images
File Type: png insert-lead.png (14.0 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 07-06-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #12
kirk1701

Here's GAP's reply:

"thank you for using the PRE-73 Jr!

I have never tried this but I think it could work since the inset is made for a low level (about - 18 dBu), unbalanced connections. I suggest you give it a try.

Best of luck,
Bo"
Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #13
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol Posse View Post
If it has a traditional insert point it will have a single TRS jack acting as both unbalanced out and in. Usually set up with Tip as send and Ring as return and Sleeve as the screen or less commonly vice versa. For inserts you normally need a Y cable that goes TRS to what looks like two TS jacks that go to the outboard gear's input and output, although the wiring is a little more complex under the hood.

If you plug the two TS jacks in to the outboard I/O the wrong way round you get nothing, switch em around an you're in business
It has separate I/O points. Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. The out jack may just be a 1/4" output not related at all to the insert.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
Bristol Posse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
It has separate I/O points. Or maybe it doesn't. Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. The out jack may just be a 1/4" output not related at all to the insert.

the unbalanced insert is the TRS Jack between the input and output XLRs. That one jack marked INSERT is both send and receive.
The XLR and the TRS to the left of it marked OUT is balanced output that would typically go to your conversion. it may still work to put the pedal between the Gap and the converters on the balanced out, but you may find you lose 6db of signal sending that balanced out to the compressor pedal unless it is set up to receive a balanced input correctly.

Insert would be the more normal way to do it but try both. see which is better.

Last edited by Bristol Posse; 07-06-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #15
kirk1701

Awesome. I'll have to go shopping for an insert cable.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:54 PM   #16
kirk1701

Update: this worked beautifully on bass. I was able to cop Carl Radle's bass tone from 461 Ocean Boulevard extremely convincingly. It was actually difficult to clip the input and I have plenty of headroom for mixing. I'm very pleased.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:41 AM   #17
ivansc

Bo makes good stuff. Still love my original 73.