Old 03-09-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
StillCrazy48
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and my Electronic drum kit

I currently use Pro Tools 11.3 native and it very easy to record the electric drum kit via BFD3. Just put the BFD3 plugin on the track and hit record and the drummers playing is recorded as MIDI.

I am looking at Reaper as a second DAW and I cannot get Reaper to record MIDI from the drums as they are played.

The drums are enabled and the channel is set to record midi but no midi notes are recorded.

I have watched a few YouTube videos but none deal with recording an electric kit direct to Reaper.

Any help would be appreciated.
StillCrazy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
DarkStar

Hello StillCrazy48 and welcome to these forums. You'll find many helpful people here and a lot of useful information. Make sure that you:
get the excellent User Guide by Nicholas too: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/userguide.php,
check out Kenny Gioia's great video series: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php,
and the Groove 3 video series: https://www.groove3.com/reaper-training-video-tutorials.

---------------------------------------------
My first guess is that Input Monitoring on the track is not enabled. have a look at 3.30 and 3.40 in the User Guide.

(Quite why it defaults to Off, I do not know.)
Old 03-09-2017, 04:47 AM   #3
uncleswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy48 View Post
I currently use Pro Tools 11.3 native and it very easy to record the electric drum kit via BFD3. Just put the BFD3 plugin on the track and hit record and the drummers playing is recorded as MIDI.

I am looking at Reaper as a second DAW and I cannot get Reaper to record MIDI from the drums as they are played.

The drums are enabled and the channel is set to record midi but no midi notes are recorded.

I have watched a few YouTube videos but none deal with recording an electric kit direct to Reaper.

Hi. Welcome.

What MIDI interface are you using and is that MIDI interface configured in Reaper (Options, Preferences, MIDI devices (Enabled)
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy48 View Post

If no midi notes are being recorded, you probably just need to right click the record button and make sure you have the midi interface the drums are plugged into selected as the recording source.

I use a set of V-Drums with Superior Drummer 2, and also have an Akai desktop pad controller, so I always select "Midi/All Devices/All Channels". Then if I decide to add some congas, or other percussion on the drums track, I'm already set to record from either controller.

-
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote