Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Lobsterinn
Human being with feelings

Default Comping multiple tracks?

Can't find this info in a search or on Kenny's video:

I am trying to comp a bass amp and di track simultaneously. Is there a way to select a take (in lanes) from one of the tracks and have the corresponding take in the other track selected as well? I have grouped the two tracks for all parameters but I cannot find a way to make this happen.

I'm new to Reaper so it is the first time this has come up for me. Please help save me time! Thanks.
Lobsterinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
metal_priest

select the items you want to group and then right click on them -> group-> group items or the shortkey "G"
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Lobsterinn

I know how to group things, but grouping doesn't seem to allow me to edit multiple tracks in the way I am used to doing in Pro Tools.

For example: if you had multiple takes at a drum part, and those drums were spread across 6 tracks, how would you edit those takes together without having to select each item on each track every time you wanted to audition an different take?

Am I missing something?
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
metal_priest

mmm i think that what you want is grouping items, that is different from the grouping tracks.
The first option makes a group of the items you want to edit all together, so you can cut, copy, paste, delete, change volume of the items, stretch ecc
The second option makes a group of the paramiters of the tracks you want to move together, so you can control all the levels, pan, mute, solo, rec ecc

So they are very different, and you can group items in the same track or in different tracks, without grouping the tracks themself (ex. drums, you want to be able to control different pans and volume for each track, but you want to edit the items all together. So, you will set only the "Items Group" and not the "Tracks Group"..)
You can do this selecting the items you want (pay attention, not the tracks!!! So, hold ctrl+click on each items you want to select) and grouping in the way i said in my previous post!

If i had understand correctly what you want to do, i think you need this ;I)
metal_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Fabian

In Reaper, comping is typically done over multiple takes, not tracks.

What I'd do is select all the items and implode as takes. Then just "slice'n dice" away to your hearts content. This is very well explained in the user guide: http://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_User_Guide
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
Marah Mag

What Fabian said.

If you implode the 2 tracks into a single 2-take item, they will remain locked together as you slice and dice.

There is an action that lets you toggle between displaying all of an item's takes and just the active one. Using this, you can work on both takes at once while only having to see one of them (which doubles the height of the waveform you're cutting.) Search the action list for 'Option: Show all takes in lanes (when room)'
Marah Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #7
wolfgerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterinn View Post
Can't find this info in a search or on Kenny's video:

I am trying to comp a bass amp and di track simultaneously. Is there a way to select a take (in lanes) from one of the tracks and have the corresponding take in the other track selected as well? I have grouped the two tracks for all parameters but I cannot find a way to make this happen.

I'm new to Reaper so it is the first time this has come up for me. Please help save me time! Thanks.
Hi, You have to Group the items which contain the takes.(as suggested above)
BUT even more important: Reaper doesn´t change takes in all grouped items if you select takes via clicking on them. You have to select them via key commands.
I use "select next take" T and select "previous take" shift-T. It then works as expected. Its a little bit weird coming rom Pro Tools or Logic and I think there already exists a FR somewhere.
Hope that helps.

greetings Wolfger
wolfgerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Lobsterinn

Thanks everyone for the help!

This is one of those things that isn't intuitive for a Pro Tools refugee.

This forum is a really great resource.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mag View Post
What Fabian said.

If you implode the 2 tracks into a single 2-take item, they will remain locked together as you slice and dice.

There is an action that lets you toggle between displaying all of an item's takes and just the active one. Using this, you can work on both takes at once while only having to see one of them (which doubles the height of the waveform you're cutting.) Search the action list for 'Option: Show all takes in lanes (when room)'
Group the items (Select all items then G key) and initially get the same take selected on each track. Now just us the T key and it will cycle through the takes equally for all tracks. If you fold them into one visible take (as above) its easy on the eyes too and pseudo locked due to lack of visibility. Once you start splitting you can just select that section and use the T key or sub group those as you split:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-Yd...ature=youtu.be

This doesn't completely lock them, but if you use the T key instead of the mouse most of the time its pretty easy

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-29-2012 at 09:48 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Superfly76

Wow! I was really hoping Reaper would have better multi track comping features. I'd really expect that if I group media items with multiple takes, that the takes would all change together. I usually have multiple mics on an instrument, so good multi tracking comping is a must for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly76 View Post
I'd really expect that if I group media items with multiple takes, that the takes would all change together.
They do with the T key, it just doesn't lock them together if you happen to click on one. If you do click on one it respects that and now they still all change together. It's quite handy once you are used to it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-01-2012 at 10:36 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #12
Superfly76

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
They do with the T key, it just doesn't lock them together if you happen to click on one. If you do click on one it respects that and now they still all change together. It's quite handy once you are used to it.
I understand that the T key can make it work, but it would also be nice if it worked the other way too. I would expect this behavior with grouped items. It would be great if item grouping was as configurable as track grouping. I don't think that item grouping would need the whole master/slave thing, but imagine having a dialog where you could select what can be grouped with items. Things like volume, takes, pitch, etc...
Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 AM   #13
Fabian

Have you tried the "Selecting one grouped item selects whole group" (or similarly named) toggle? I don't know, but maybe that makes it work as you expect it.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #14
Superfly76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Have you tried the "Selecting one grouped item selects whole group" (or similarly named) toggle? I don't know, but maybe that makes it work as you expect it.

I've been looking for that setting all afternoon. I had it set this morning, but the state wasn't saved after a crash and I'm trying to get back to it. I can't find it for the life of me. Do you remember where this setting is?

In answer to your question, it still doesn't automatically select takes when just selecting them. Still have to do the shortcut to toggle takes. I like this mode for other reasons though.

Edit:

OK. I found it in the actions list, but I can't find it under options or preferences. I'd like this to be on globally for all projects.

Last edited by Superfly76; 03-02-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Superfly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
planetnine

Quote:
Edit:

OK. I found it in the actions list, but I can't find it under options or preferences. I'd like this to be on globally for all projects.
Stick it on and save it as a template. I forget this easy method all the time

>
Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
Superfly76

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
Stick it on and save it as a template. I forget this easy method all the time

>
So there's nothing for this in the preferences? Glad to see that my eyesight isn't that bad.

I went one step further and created a custom button for this action in my main toolbar. That way I can easily toggle it on and off in any project. I like doing my drum editing with this option turned on.

Last edited by Superfly76; 03-02-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Superfly76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #17
planetnine

Quote:
So there's nothing for this in the preferences? Glad to see that my eyesight isn't that bad.

I went one step further and created a custom button for this action in my main toolbar. That way I can easily toggle it on and off in any project. I like doing my drum editing with this option turned on.
I don't think so. I did think it was on as default though, maybe you saved a template with it off? Not in front of REAPER so cant check just now.

I don't switch it regularly enough to assign to a toolbar, but I think that's what I'd do if I did. Each to their own workflow...

>
Old 03-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #18
Coachz

Why doesn't reaper simply look at the competitors and substantially improve comping. Features like quick swipe in logic and cubase's ability to have overlapping segments of varying lengths are no brainers . It's time that comping gets some sorely deserved attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3uxqwTxk0

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
urednik

Quote:

Tried to follow instruction and created the action, however when toggled on I still can select a single tracks lane - but I wish I could not do that (in order to avoid misclicks). Any suggestions how to do that?

BTW the T shortcut of course helped!
W10 (64) Lenovo E540 - SSD; Lenovo B590; W7 (32), Compaq 610 (2.1Ghz core 2 duo, L2 cache, 2GB RAM); DPA 4018, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MTSC 64, Neumann mk184, AEA Ribbon 88mk, AKG SolidTUBE; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, recording merely live acoustic music.
urednik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #20
G-Sun

This was a little puzzling to me.
So, navigating items and cycling takes with shortcuts is the thing?
Ok, I'll manage,
but I was expecting grouped items to comp together as default.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:50 AM   #21
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
This was a little puzzling to me.
So, navigating items and cycling takes with shortcuts is the thing?
Ok, I'll manage,
but I was expecting grouped items to comp together as default.
What an uncanny bump of a thread,, heh.

Grab the new update G-Sun, take grouping now works with the mouse click.

I dare say it's even... intuitive!
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:31 AM   #22
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by James HE View Post
What an uncanny bump of a thread,, heh.

I dare say it's even... intuitive!

I have latest installed, but, I didn't catch the intuitive part.
Please, enlighten me.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:33 AM   #23
G-Sun

Indeed
Quote:
v5.24 - September 5 2016
+ Take lanes: do not unselect other items when switching takes of selected item via lane
+ Take lanes: obey multiple selected items/item grouping when switching takes via lanes
Old 09-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #24
G-Sun

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake.
v.5.24 was downloaded but not installed.
Works like a charm
Thank you!
Old 09-06-2016, 04:11 AM   #25
nofish

Quote:
take grouping now works with the mouse click.
Oh, I saw the changelog but didn't get the meaning, nice.
Something I've also requested in the past.
Thanks for the heads up, James.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:52 AM   #26
Indiscipline

That's super exiting news! Finally there's some movement in this area! It's surprising it took so much waiting, considering easier multitrack comping was one of the most requested features over the years.

I see there's only one thing left for being on par with the most convenient workflow for multitrack comping, which is on-the-fly propagating of the time selection to the comp, without the need for manual splitting. This allows for much cleaner editing in a scenario when you have 1-2 main takes and multiple incomplete takes with variations and embellishments.
Demo:

But I see how this is a much harder thing to implement, due to conflicts with the current workflow.

Last edited by Indiscipline; 09-06-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Indiscipline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #27
SonicAxiom

is this supposed to work like this? I'm losing my comps like that.

SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #28
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
is this supposed to work like this? I'm losing my comps like that.

Is that a MIDI item? Cause I think, yes, it's uber broken for MIDI! seems fine with audio

Old 09-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #29
SonicAxiom

no, James, it's audio. Seems like a bug to me.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #30
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
no, James, it's audio. Seems like a bug to me.
Ok yep, one set of actions to reproduce.

Take two items with takes, group them. then split them. (or the other way around) The take selection works properly.

Ungroup them, then regroup them. now it's broken.

There seems to be other ways of introducing the bug, but haven't found them.
here it's always broken on MIDI, no matter what. Can anyone confirm?

also, the mouse will always switch takes for all selected items even if they are not grouped! That just can't be intended....

Last edited by James HE; 09-06-2016 at 02:46 PM.