Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
ashcat_lt
Human being with feelings

Default Invert At Plugin Pin Connector

Seems like a simple but powerful idea. Just allow us to invert the polarity of audio going into or out of a given channel on a plugin right at the pin connector. Right-click doesn't seem to do anything in that window, so it seems like a good candidate. Right-click in an empty box to fill it and invert. Right-click a filled box to toggle polarity.

A very crude mockup. I made the "-" red because I felt like white or the grey background color might not stand out quite enough, and I think it might be important to unambiguously know just from looking if one of the channels is inverted.

Bonus would be a pair of buttons (very crudely rendered in the following image) to quickly fill in the input side for M/S Encoding and/or the output side for Decode:

This shows what happens after you click both of those buttons. Each one would fill in its corresponding side appropriately, overriding whatever was already there. Maybe they could be toggles, but then it would need to remember where it was set to begin with. Of course, it's easy enough to just save presets with this already done, but the buttons would make a nice convenience as well as filling some of that negative space in the window.

Course then we'll have people realize that "M/S" mode for ReaEQ isn't what they hoped for since both channels get the same treatment, but this could be useful in plenty of scenarios, not all of which have anything to do with M/S at all.

Edit - And yes I understand that there aren't many cases where the configuration in my first picture actually makes sense. You'd probably invert at one end or the other and leave it, but...

Last edited by ashcat_lt; 12-05-2018 at 10:50 AM.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
mpl

There could be various pin setups really (multichannel setup, sidechain, plugin specific setup)... Suggestion looks like a limitation, than an improvement. You are probably will be ok with a script with do toggle invert default LR <> RL setup for IO pins.

Last edited by mpl; 12-05-2018 at 12:48 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
...invert default LR <> RL setup for IO pins.
???
That's not at all what I'm asking for. I want to invert the polarity of the audio. Has nothing to do with swapping channels.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
mpl

Oops sorry, misread!
I got the point, but I`m afraid it is hard to implement (anyway I would use that).

Last edited by mpl; 12-05-2018 at 01:07 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
clepsydrae

+1 for this, with the caveat that M is (L+R)/2, not L+R, so it wouldn't work for mid/side without doubling the signal level. I like it anyway.

And generally, I'm going to +1 for any new pin routing features. :-)
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #6
ashcat_lt

That had occurred to me. In some plugins you'd be able to compensate. What if the little squares acted as volume faders somehow? That would be kind of neat for even more reasons, as long as it was possible to set values with decent accuracy.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
clepsydrae

Yeah +1 (my reflexive +1 for pin routing features :-) ), though I think mid/side pin routing would be easier for non-techie users to grasp w.r.t. that application.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote