Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #481
Swi
Human being with feelings

Default better sync options for synchronizing 2 Reaper DAWs

I am a film and TV composer who has used a second "Slave" DAW for picture for many years. This way I can cut cues from reel 2 to reel 5 very quickly and audition ideas all over the film without having to open up the writing DAW session.

I have been using the JS: vVIMTC Generator plug to send MTC from my writing DAW to my Picture DAW over ethernet using rtp midi. And this "sort of" works.

One of my issues is that I wish my picture DAW sync settings could be set to "sync to incoming time code" so it would behave normally when there was no incoming time code. Presently I have to turn sync off every time I try to play something from the picture DAW and then put it back into sync to continue writing with my writing DAW.

Also, as many of us know, MTC is not quite as solid as LTC. But using the SMPTE time code generator item that you have to set the start time in is simply unusable because if I need to sync something at bar 32 to an event in the video I then have to shift this time code item or open source properties and at that point there just is not point. I wish it would just match what is in the "Big Clock" automatically.

If I can see timecode in the "Big Clock" then I should be able to deliver this time code via MTC or LTC without a plugin. This should be an option to have on or off so when I change the time at bar 32 it simply shifts the timecode of the whole session to match. If there is an option for the smpte time code gen item to be automatically updated when I "Set timecode at cursor (frames) please let me know.

This is a crucial issue for working with synchronized systems.

I also wish that when I have my picture DAW in sync with my writing DAW, and I click to a spot with my writing DAW, the picture DAW would go to the same frame. This sort of works sometimes with the JS plug but not perfectly and not always. All the information is there in my writing DAW but it will not transfer to the other connected "Slave" DAW.
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:09 PM   #482
Swi

Default Sync to Incoming time code

The other issue is that when I scroll around with my writing DAW my "Slave" picture DAW jumps back to the edit cursor location so I have to frame hunt on the "Slave" picture DAW.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #483
airon

That sounds bad.

If nobody shows up to help here, you may want to post this in the General forum. There are some other folks who use Reaper this way. I'm just not one of them. :\

Anyone else know how to sync two machines when editing ?

Justin, Schwa, can this be fixed ? You guys could do something custom to network multiple machines that works over the local network, if you haven't already, and we just haven't found it yet . Right ?

Sidenote, the new 5.966 pre1 has the new colossal video optimizations. Worth a look.
( + Video: add experimental option to aggressively update video when updating the arrange view )
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #484
Swi

Default Thank you

Many thanks airon.
I will do as you recommend.
Cheers,
Old 01-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #485
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
That sounds bad.

If nobody shows up to help here, you may want to post this in the General forum. There are some other folks who use Reaper this way. I'm just not one of them. :\

Anyone else know how to sync two machines when editing ?

Justin, Schwa, can this be fixed ? You guys could do something custom to network multiple machines that works over the local network, if you haven't already, and we just haven't found it yet . Right ?

Sidenote, the new 5.966 pre1 has the new colossal video optimizations. Worth a look.
( + Video: add experimental option to aggressively update video when updating the arrange view )

Definitely some way of syncing up two reapers over network will be very helpful. Perhaps something like Avid's Video Satellite.
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #486
Swi

Default Solved

Steve solved this for me here.
Thanks again to Steve.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=208220
Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #487
jalfk

just posted a post production feature request which I would be extremely trivial to implement but would make a TON of sense: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=217266

Ability to hide children in the region render matrix

I'm a professional mastering engineer BTW
jalfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:45 AM   #488
airon

And you got it in the latest pre-release.

5.972pre1 and up has that.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #489
plush2

And it is super useful. Thanks for the request.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #490
jayrope

Quote:
You can actualy copy/paste entire tracks from one session to another.

Open another instance of Reaper(File/ menu), load the session from which you'd like to copy tracks, select the tracks by (SHIFT+ or CTRL+ for multiple) clicking, hit CTRL+C(or whatever you set up as the copy function), change to the target session and hit CTRL+V to paste the tracks.

That's it realy and it works well.
Thanks a lot for this tip, @airon
jayrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #491
brostevens

Default Reatune

Allow users to be able to have control over how tuned each vocal part is, for instance, if one part of the vocal is worse than others, fix reatune where I can adjust reatune stronger for that part of a vocal, in the manual mode and for the rest of the vocal i can adjust the tuning to be lest affected
brostevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #492
jalfk

Firstly, the implementation of hiding children in the render matrix is absolutely fantastic, I am legitimately thrilled that that was implemented.

My ONLY OTHER feature request which I think is actually meaningful enough to be nagging about is fixing the release stage of ReaGate. I say "fix" because, if you read the threat I created on this feature request over 7 years ago, and scroll down to the pictures another user posted, you can see that ReaGate is almost unique among gates in that the release stage is very unnatural and linear sounding. Almost all other gates have a more exponential curvature to the release stage and the only gate which we ascertained having such a linear release is a specific setting on a gate which otherwise is exponential. This is a plugin I use a lot when I am mixing and it is other wise perfect. People complain about reacomp and other plugins but I use most of them frequently and they are good fantastic. But ReaGate is objectively broken and needs this trivial fix which I've been moaning about for 7 years. Would be nice if that was implemented, then I'm all out of feature requests for this decade because reaper rocks.

ReaGate thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=96904
jalfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:27 AM   #493
gerswork

Default Import and Export

Can we please get AAF and OMF import and export for Reaper, also would be great to have a tick box selection feature in the render options , same as the new feature in Cubase Pro 10.5 , which allows you to select any track, group or folder tracks for stem export.

Also why is there no "Gain" process in the item processing selection as an option other than the "Normalise" options.

Cheers.
gerswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #494
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerswork View Post
also would be great to have a tick box selection feature in the render options , same as the new feature in Cubase Pro 10.5 , which allows you to select any track, group or folder tracks for stem export.
Can't you already do this by selecting tracks/folders before you open the render dialog? Or is there something extra that Cubase does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerswork View Post
Can we please get AAF and OMF import and export for Reaper
OMF is obsolete. Also the NLE I use (FCPX) doesn't export OMF/AAF, only XML.

Apple refuse to support AAF because it is impossible to represent a FCPX timeline in AAF properly.

So you have to use a 3rd party tool to create an AAF from XML.

This is why I wrote a tool to translate XML from FCPX or Premiere directly to RPP without using AAF.

AAF support is coming in Vordio 6.0. Likely early January. Also some major improvements to the compare and reconform tools for dealing with picture changes.

Some sneak previews.

Last edited by mrlimbic; 12-13-2019 at 10:53 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #495
airon

Well, well, well. That's looking tasty.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #496
jayrope

Default OMF import/export

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeandSound View Post
I would love to see :

OMF import / export (essential)...
I totally second OMF import (also on Macs!) at the very least.
Reaper would become a major professional postpro tool with this, even if only import works.

We could import OMF, treat sound, render out and throw file back into AVID or whatever.

Last edited by jayrope; 12-21-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #497
jayrope

Default OMF import not obsolete at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
OMF is obsolete.
I don't think it is obsolete at all.
As a not-so-recent convert from Cubase to Reaper (both on Mac) i am having to rework Cubase sessions from years ago in Reaper frequently.

But there is currently no means of importing even simple audio edits into Reaper from Cubase.
This literally means for my professional work, that any of these revisits have to be reworked by hand. This costs hours and days of production time, every time again.

Experimental support is there through a plugin, but only on Windows.

Platform independent OMF 1+2 import at least would definately be VERY much appreciated.
If i had any idea, how to put a plugin for this together myself i would do it NOW.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #498
airon

Those AATranslator guys have a guide and offer lots of help on how to use AATranslator on MacOS. What's the problem buying that for actual work ? It'll pay for itself within days.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #499
jayrope

Quote:
... use AATranslator on MacOS. What's the problem buying that for actual work ? It'll pay for itself within days.
I have no problem paying for this, did I say so?

However, I'd much rather pay in fact Cockos for implementing such feature instead of using Windows software in Wine on Mac, which can be buggy and troublesome.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #500
plush2

The support for AATranslator is very good and it covers pretty much any conversion you might need including the option of using cubase track archive xml instead of OMF 2. Based on what you've said so far it seems your choices are...
  1. waiting around for cockos to code a translator based on your request when they have shown little interest in doing so in the past
  2. coding your own translator (might I suggest starting with track archive .xml as the encrypted binary format of OMF is a nightmare)
  3. manually recreating sessions piece by piece
  4. buying an already existing, albeit windows software that does what you need.
I include that first option because this has been asked repeatedly in the past and the silence is deafening. I think this is largely because there are some very affordable and well supported alternatives available in AATranslator and Vordio for those of us who need them.
plush2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #501
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrope View Post
But there is currently no means of importing even simple audio edits into Reaper from Cubase.
This literally means for my professional work, that any of these revisits have to be reworked by hand. This costs hours and days of production time, every time again.
Can Cubase export OpenTL or AES31 formats? Nuendo does.

I once converted a load of my old Cubase projects to Reaper by opening them in a downloaded Nuendo trial (Nuendo can open Cubase projects directly) and exporting AES31 or OpenTL. Then converted those with Vordio.

Steinberg also has it's own "steinberg track archive" XML format which is in Cubase and Nuendo. Vordio doesn't support it yet but I recently got a Nuendo license so will probably add it in future.

AAT currently supports steinberg track archives so that is an option.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #502
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Source Destination editing (or 3 and 4 point editing) is a feature which is central to all dedicated classical music editing programs (eg Pyramix, Sadie, Sequoia) and has a clunkier implementation in REAPER at present via some custom actions, best shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utSTd8huEoM

Essentially classical music editing requires copying and pasting a preferred section of a repair or patch take across a faulty take, and then cross-fading the entry and exit points of the edit. If this could be achieved in REAPER with the same ease and precision that other platforms attain, it would be a huge problem solver for the many classical music editors worldwide who use REAPER for session recording and editing.

The desired process is shown in this Sequoia video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-j3jblSfQ
2 years on and no progress....so time to bump it.

Anyone needing to deal with multiple takes or repair/patches to takes and needing to assemble podcasts, classical music editing ( or indeed any type of editing requiring the insertion and cross fades of replacement materia)l would welcome this, and the several much more costly alternatives have individual foibles, bugs etc....so Reaper is uniquely poised to achieve this sort of editing with minimal tweaks to the basic platform. It's no longer a niche function....it's quite mainstream
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:56 AM   #503
airon

I'm waiting to see what that Cohler package(did I get that name right?) is going to do. The demonstration videos look pretty good.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #504
andyp24

I've spoken to Jonathan Cohler about it and he's demoed his setup to me over Skype. It looks very impressive for this wowrkflow, although I'm not working in that way really, so I'm not an expert eye on what could be improved.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #505
archkali

Default Sort Tracks By Activity - Does Track Contain Data?

If I am scoring a piece using subprojects, and I want to migrate tracks from one subproject to the next via copy and paste, and I have 140 tracks, it would be a huge time saver to sort tracks by only those that I have used/have data on theme, whether they are stems or the original MIDI tracks.

If this exists, please forgive me, if not please implement!
archkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #506
airon

There could be actions that can select tracks of selected items. Worth investigating.
Old 05-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #507
sonictim

Default BWF ('bext') Chunk EMBED to RPP-PROX

It's my understanding the RPP-PROX is essentially a .WAV file. If that's the case, it would be incredibly useful if the subproject would embed the BWF ('bext') chunk into the RPP-PROX. This way, we could use the function "Item: Move to source preferred position (used by BWF)" on a subproject in our sessions and it will return to where we originally created it. Alternatively, we could use the RPP-PROX to create an audio file to send to the picture department and it would have the correct timestamp embedded.

This would obviously work great for "Move Tracks to sub project" where the timecodes of the section we are sending is just between the two markers. Which leads me to my point 2.

When using "move items to new subproject (nondestructive glue)" it would be very nice if the items arrive in their new subproject at the same timecode they exist at in the original session. Currently they are placed in the start of the new subproject. Alternatively, the function could instead set the start timecode of the new subproject to match where the item came from, so when you embed the BWF chunk to the subproject (if you implement this feature request) it will match.

SubProjects have the potential to be a very powerful tool for sound designers/post production and I think these changes would help immensely.

Thank you very much.
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:50 PM   #508
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post
It's my understanding the RPP-PROX is essentially a .WAV file. If that's the case, it would be incredibly useful if the subproject would embed the BWF ('bext') chunk into the RPP-PROX. This way, we could use the function "Item: Move to source preferred position (used by BWF)" on a subproject in our sessions and it will return to where we originally created it. Alternatively, we could use the RPP-PROX to create an audio file to send to the picture department and it would have the correct timestamp embedded.

This would obviously work great for "Move Tracks to sub project" where the timecodes of the section we are sending is just between the two markers. Which leads me to my point 2.

When using "move items to new subproject (nondestructive glue)" it would be very nice if the items arrive in their new subproject at the same timecode they exist at in the original session. Currently they are placed in the start of the new subproject. Alternatively, the function could instead set the start timecode of the new subproject to match where the item came from, so when you embed the BWF chunk to the subproject (if you implement this feature request) it will match.

SubProjects have the potential to be a very powerful tool for sound designers/post production and I think these changes would help immensely.

Thank you very much.

Very interesting suggestions. A big +1
Old 05-05-2020, 03:36 AM   #509
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post

Thank you very much.
Also +1
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #510
airon

Both ideas are very useful for design work I do.

The offset for subprojects to match back in to the subproject source session is a time saver.

+1 for a highly practical improvement.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #511
Phfraiengngchkxzcs

Default Meter and Tempo overhaul

I have posted about this in the main forum, but thought this would be a good place to echo it. I feel that one of the places in which Reaper is lacking is the meter and tempo/timeline setup. For someone working in post production music for picture the nature of the meter & tempo functions can be extremely problematic. The main issue is that inserting new meter or tempo changes earlier in a session will cause the meter changes later in the session to get distorted. A meter change is a unit of measurement for the grid and should not cause actual media items to move. Nor should the introduction of a new meter/tempo change cause the creation of incomplete measures. To this day i do not understand the use of the partial measures with the asterisk next to it. if you export your midi timeline no other program can read those and the grid is completely destroyed.

I would think that switching the project timebase to Time would cause media items to stay locked in position and the grid to move around them, but this is not consistent. And when it comes to inserting meter changes, even locking media items will not save them from being shifted in their realtime/smpte location due to the odd insertion of additional bars... which i assume is to keep the media in it's same relative musical location to the bars & beats. but it makes no sense if you need to make revisions.

Today is a case-in-point. I was working on a cue and as the arrangement grew, the fact that one of the big brass hits was a few frames of sync. I inserted a very slight tempo ramp to get me where i needed to go. What i did not realize is that 90 seconds later in the cue, where my next meter and tempo changes were located, everything got destroyed. there were random tempo jumps, the meters and corresponding media were pushed back about 4 bars, but of course not exactly 4 bars, but way out of sync, and every measure that had a meter change now had a partial measure. The result was that i had to go back into a backup session and copy and paste every part along with the original back half of the tempo and meter changes into my current session.

This is a mess. Reaper is an amazing program and I love it, so i hate to say "be like xxx program", but in this one regard: can it please be exactly like Logic? separate tempo and meter windows, grid that easily slides with changes, the ability to easily fine tune a tempo change to line up exact sync points (and by doing so in a dedicated window, you can zoom in to the frame and still manipulate the tempo change value even if the tempo marker is way off screen). Additionally, you can choose to draw in the timeline or edit the tempo in the editor, choosing to make changes in whole integers, 10ths or a bpm, 100ths, or 1000ths. extremely easy to use, very smooth, and much less likely to result in completely screwing up a long cue when you have to do revisions or get a new picture update that needs to be conformed.
Phfraiengngchkxzcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #512
X-Raym

Quote:
It's my understanding the RPP-PROX is essentially a .WAV file. If that's the case, it would be incredibly useful if the subproject would embed the BWF ('bext') chunk into the RPP-PROX.
This should be scriptable, I already have an Add BWF script with TImeReference support, though I didn't have support for .RPP-PROX file at this moment, I shouldn't be too much to update, as they indeed seems to be valid wav file.

but Cockos is adding metadata render stuff right now as we speak so it worths talking to them directly (not sure this thread is read by them). Long thread like that is difficult to follow, better have dedicated thread for each requests.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:16 AM   #513
sonictim

Default Reposted

I reposted my request in the main level of feature requests. If you guys who like the idea want to head over there and throw in your support, that would be great! Thanks.
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #514
the19thbear

The media explorer is amazing for people doing post production/sound design etc. In the past I would have pro tools and an app called soundminer for my huge sound library, using it to do sound design for TV etc.

Now with the media explorer, I can do pretty much the same thing, but without soundminer. There are a couple of things that are missing though.

One of them is the most essential:

Search field: Leave out word.

In many search fields, i can type, for instance: wind.

then I get all my files that have the name wind in the file name/description etc.
The problem is that I also get all the files that have the name "window" in them.
In that case I would type: wind -window
and that would leave out the word window, but include the word wind

PRETTY PLEASE make that a feature of the search field in the media explorer
Thanks
the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:37 AM   #515
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
The media explorer is amazing for people doing post production/sound design etc. In the past I would have pro tools and an app called soundminer for my huge sound library, using it to do sound design for TV etc.

Now with the media explorer, I can do pretty much the same thing, but without soundminer. There are a couple of things that are missing though.

One of them is the most essential:

Search field: Leave out word.

then I get all my files that have the name wind in the file name/description etc.
The problem is that I also get all the files that have the name "window" in them.

PRETTY PLEASE make that a feature of the search field in the media explorer
Thanks

Good point!! Soundminer also uses thesaurus to narrow down search results. So if you type wind.. it will never bring window but it will also bring words like gust, buffet etc!! It’s very useful. So Boolean searching and an optional “use thesaurus” feature will be very useful.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #516
the19thbear

Yes!. I can see that the thesaurus thing will be a 2.0 thing, but for starters, please have the search exclude thing. It's very essential

Would love to go 100% reaper (and sell soundminer)!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #517
jayrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post

Yes, like Google works (but many other search engines don't). I love that function and second the request.
Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 AM   #518
the19thbear

Someone at Reaper, please do this
Old 06-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #519
gksound

Default Copy/Paste FX Settings

Hello! There's one feature in Pro Tools that is extremely useful for post production mixing and unfortunately isn't present in Reaper as far as I know.

Let's suppose there are a few instances of one plugin in a session. I'd like to be able to copy settings of one instance of the plugin and paste them into another instance of the plugin while being in preview automation mode and them write in the automation for the newly pasted settings to selection. It is like creating a plugin preset and recalling it in another instance of the plugin but instead of saving it to disk it is saved to clip board and all coping and recall is done via hot keys. In Pro Tools these keys are Shift+CMD+C to copy and Shift+CMD+V to paste.
gksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #520
airon

Someone already did this. Might be in the SWS extension or one of the zillions of scripts accessible via Reapack. I‘ll try a search tomorrow at my rig. Or maybe someone else gets there faster than I do.