Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #81
dbgrass
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Not sure if it's working on the mac yet but on the pc the "sws extension" that is available from the resources link at the top of this page has play "just" selected plus MANY other things and VERY cool those other things are, check out his website for an idea of what it can give you.

Don't fear it, it is a tiny file that adds a hell of a lot and has never caused problems for me, just the opposite!
OK thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
dbgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #82
johnmix

Default Render Q

The render Q opens a new instance of reaper for every render in the q list. It automates rendering but opening a new instance when you ask the entire q be rendered 4-8 files causes me to crash out. It should just render in the open project each task assigned.
johnmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #83
airon

Is that crash reproducible ? If so, please post a bug issue in the Issue Tracker.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #84
airon

-Updated January 4th, 2010-

This feature request is now partially done. The timecode sync options now carry an entry for 23.976 timecode. The timecode generator item does not yet have this timecode option.
The Improved Video Support request is partially done. Video now works reliably for most of the formats we use. If not, please post in this discussion thread for the issue.

We still have these feature requests to be done:
This is in development. They're doing a lot of under-the-hood work to get this done. We should see some results pretty soon.
This is a big deal to all editors. Contrary to what some may assume, Reaper in fact only has half the editing capabilities of Protools, which has object based editing as well. Rest assured, we'll keep asking for this, as everybody I know that works as an editor is asking for this. We call it a basic necessity.
Another basic necessity for post production work, and a definite workflow booster for all music productions. No word on this yet, but SWS is working on something that might fill this horrible void we find ourselves in right now.
Please feel free to mention others here by either posting in this thread, or PM'ing me so I can add them to this post.

Last edited by airon; 01-19-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #85
jas

Once Feature Requests become Elevated, discussion appears to end (perhaps because the topics are locked in the tracker). For those topics that have been initiated before the forum policy began, it would be helpful to still keep them alive and in discussion. One such topic which relates to post-production (ie. conforming multiple tracks as well as predubs and final stems) would be:

Multitrack editing improvements - Extended edit groups

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=843

I just want to bump this. The more this feature could be employed with the previous post for:

Tape Editing with Intelligence built in

Area Selection

- the better Reaper will be for it.

Last edited by jas; 01-09-2010 at 04:18 PM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #86
airon

Updated January 19th 2010
I'm adding the Pencil tool or smooth highlited waveform for de clicker and the Multitrack editing improvements - Extended edit groups requests to the post production requests.

It seems that dialogue editors are right up there on heavy use of the pencil-to-waveform feature, and a lot of folks like to edit lots of tracks at once, but not all, and without having to group items.

Thus we have the following list of feature requests running :
This feature request is now partially done. The timecode sync options now carry an entry for 23.976 timecode. The timecode generator item does not yet have this timecode option.
The Improved Video Support request is partially done. Video now works reliably for most of the formats we use. If not, please post in this discussion thread for the issue.
We still have these feature requests to show up in Reaper :
This is in development. They're doing a lot of under-the-hood work to get this done. We should see some results pretty soon.

This is a big deal to all editors. Contrary to what some may assume, Reaper in fact only has half the editing capabilities of Protools, which has object based editing as well. Rest assured, we'll keep asking for this, as everybody I know that works as an editor is asking for this. We call it a basic necessity.
Another basic necessity for post production work, and a definite workflow booster for all music productions. No word on this yet, but SWS is working on something that might fill this horrible void we find ourselves in right now.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #87
mtsproductions

automation shapes that snap to grid!!

see attached pic!!!

Last edited by mtsproductions; 03-25-2011 at 12:39 PM.
mtsproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #88
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsproductions View Post
automation shapes that snap to grid!!
Sorry can't see how this is that useful in Post-Pro (hey nice idea as it is & can see how it could be useful in Music production).
So for sure not a bad idea, but no-way as important as the "issues" airon has identified.

To be blunt, in "Post" i find grid snapping is far more of a pain than a benefit!

The only time I feel the need is if I want to try and make my "sample accurate" edit decisions be compatible to the very coarse frame based ones applicable to NLE's. IE when I want to do an export from Reaper to FCP or Avid.
John L
John Lundsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #89
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Updated January 19th 2010
I'm adding the Pencil tool or smooth highlited waveform for de clicker and the Multitrack editing improvements - Extended edit groups requests to the post production requests.It seems that dialogue editors are right up there on heavy use of the pencil-to-waveform feature, and a lot of folks like to edit lots of tracks at once, but not all, and without having to group items.

Compared to the other items on the list, these 2 additions seem a bit marginal IMO. [not bad, but....}

Pencil tool.
OK,a really rather crude smoothing as available in PT may seem OK/ a good idea, or yes sure envelope smoothing would be much appreciated (& not only for volume envelopes. And hey if all you know is PT, or you are slave to PT and know nothing else, this is all you have got & it's better than nothing.

But compared to what Adobe Audition or Cedar can do this function is a total F***** joke.

Or this is why some of us want to use a "Wav Editor" in combination with a DAW like Reaper.
Sure this may change as even more DSP power is available for affordable computers.

But for now, & yes this is IMO,it is unreasonable to expect a DAW like Reaper to do stuff like de-click in real-time. And why would one want to?

It's not an effect (poss to be modified, tweaked to artistic needs) it's a needed & permanent improvement to the original audio.

Group Function
Confess I'm not sure how, or not this may be beneficial. But the benefit is not that clear at all.
John L
Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #90
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
Sorry can't see how this is that useful in Post-Pro (hey nice idea as it is & can see how it could be useful in Music production).
So for sure not a bad idea, but no-way as important as the "issues" airon has identified.

To be blunt, in "Post" i find grid snapping is far more of a pain than a benefit!

The only time I feel the need is if I want to try and make my "sample accurate" edit decisions be compatible to the very coarse frame based ones applicable to NLE's. IE when I want to do an export from Reaper to FCP or Avid.
John L
The grid-snapped-automation shapes do seem to be more specific to music applications. It's a good request I'm sure many folks will support, but I have to agree that it's hardly post specific. There are a lot of interesting uses for sound effects developers, so please go ahead and post it as a feature request.

The waveform penciling however is a basic proven tool that at times just works really well for dialogue editors. It's not always required, but it is sometimes a last resort, and the simplest of operations too. It's certainly quicker than calling up a declicker that probably won't work the first couple of tries. In the meantime I've drawn out the offending noise ten times over. Like I said though, it's a last resort.

The edit groups are a little beyond me as well, yet I thought I should mention them here, simply because a great deal of feature requests useful to post production are simply never noticed by those who could benefit from them. I see them in heavy use by effects editors for daily shows and other high-turnover formats. They're easier to simply suspend and bring back than item grouping.

John, perhaps you could illustrate methods of repairing clicks that could possibly be implemented in Reaper ?

One decent implementation of an editor was and is the Trimmer in Vegas, an extra window that acts on audio items like the midi editor does on midi items. Destructive functions could live here, as well as functions to edit the In and Out points of the item. The destructive functions could include a spectral interpolator or something else that could work well for getting rid of noises. Warp marker functionality could live here too, as it does in Ableton Live for example.

Schwas Spectro plugin has some good tools for spectral editing, or of course having Audition around as an external editor is beneficial as well. Does that have a decent audio scrub ?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #91
jas

Quote:
Compared to the other items on the list, these 2 additions seem a bit marginal IMO. [not bad, but....}

Group Function
Confess I'm not sure how, or not this may be beneficial. But the benefit is not that clear at all.
John L
Hi John,
I think Airon has described very well the use of the pencil tool (particularly as relates to dialogue editing).

I work in feature film post-production in the Los Angeles area. I see you are in London. So, let's say hypothetically that you are working at De Lane Lea in Soho on a feature film <let's say a James Bond sequel>. The picture editor hands sound editorial Avid change lists on an daily basis, as the director is in discussions with the studio about the current cut of the film, and the dubbing date is near at hand (tomorrow morning and it's 6:00pm). Say you are the supervising sound editor, and as usual, the change notes add up to approximately 100 picture cuts per reel on a 6 reel show. This includes extensions, trims, juxtapositions, and the six reels have been rebalanced to allow for main titles. Now, you have not yet begun predubbing, so you have hundreds, if not thousands of tracks to conform (dialogue, adr, group adr, hard sfx, background sfx, foley (props, footsteps, movement)).
I ask you, which would be a better idea - to conform and fix them one track at a time, or by edit groups?

In any event, this is already moving forward in Reaper at the following thread through the efforts of Jedstar2000 and Fuseburn:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50111

Here is a video with an idea of the actions involved:

http://www.screencast.com/users/fuse...d-05806ed59dc4

Kind regards,
Jas

Last edited by jas; 01-21-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #92
mtsproductions

Quote:

John L
Actually you are exactly right about it being more usefull in production rather than post, i just really needed this feature in my last project, maybe it will be implied as well....thanks..
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #93
airon

I'd like to add the following argument in support for edit groups.

Reaper has ripple editing for selected tracks and all tracks. Now imagine you have your new reference tracks from an change OMF or AAF, and the tracks of the session that need to be reconformed.

Tracks A1-8 are the reference tracks, and tracks Dia1-Dia12 are the dialog tracks you're conforming to the new cut.

For each operation, be it cutting or inserting frames, adding, deleting or moving scenes, the Dia1-Dia12 tracks have to be selected.

Edit groups relieve you of that. You put Dia1-Dia12 in to an edit group and everything you edit on one track is done to all others in that edit group. This is not parameter sharing(that's mix groups). It's edit sharing, which Reaper has a hard time doing anyway.

For example, say you want to cut two seconds from a scene that has items on several tracks. First you have to select the tracks, then you select the items, then you setup the time selection, and then you have to invoke a command hidden in the depths of the action list, which doesn't work the way we need it !!! If ripple edit for selected tracks is active you're likely to get a mess. IF you activate global ripple editing, it's done to all tracks. If you use "Time Selection: remove contents of time selection", it does it to all tracks, regardless of track selection.

If you want your rippling cut action to apply only to a few selected tracks, you can't, if it involves only pieces of some items, especially pieces that are in at the start of items for example. Simply test for yourself to see what I mean.

Because Reaper has no Area Selection and no Edit Groups, the standard CUT or DELETE command cannot be used for such endeavors. With Area Selection and Edit Groups one would simply need to click and drag to mark the area in ..one..track..., and then just hit delete, and that area deletion would be performed on all tracks in the edit group. It wouldn't matter if part of an item or just empty space were on the other tracks. If ripple edit for selected tracks were on, all tracks in the edit group would get rippled correctly.

Hence, edit groups and area selection are time-saving features that prevent having to spend massive amounts of time on manually performing uncreative mundane tasks, where mistakes can cost you very dearly indeed. And Reapers current flexibility on the one hand(so many commands that do the same thing because of the object-only editing), and lack thereof on the other(no area selection and edit groups) are holding Reaper down on all of the described scenarios.

You want to cut out a drum verse, just on the drum tracks, but some drum tracks only start having material somewhere in the middle ? Tough. If someone has a method that doesn't involve forum research, I'll gladly stand corrected.

Last edited by airon; 01-26-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #94
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Hi John,
I think Airon has described very well the use of the pencil tool (particularly as relates to dialogue editing).
Sure, I do understand, and I do loads of dialogue cleaning, so know this is valuable. And yes I think it is a valuable feature to have in Reaper.

My issue is using what is available in PT as any kind of a benchmark. I believe PT is the most powerful DAW, & is certainly what one has to master as a young effective & employable professional in the UK post for Film/TV market. But I don't have to play that game any more, I'm an old pro, i have been there, done that but am very interested in new technology. If the "Emperor" has no clothes, I can say so. IMO PT does more than any other DAW but Badly.

Eg As I wrote the PT pencil tool is so VERY far from what I can achieve in Samplitude, Adobe Audition or with with Cedar plugins to be a bit of a bad joke. Conversely bad "tools" in the hands of a dedicated pro can yield way better results than great tools in the hands of a lesser mortal. But PT is a VERY bad tool & a very bad model, why put up with this?

Quote:
I work in feature film post-production in the Los Angeles area. I see you are in London. So, let's say hypothetically that you are working at De Lane Lea in Soho on a feature film <let's say a James Bond sequel>....... <snip loads of good stuff.>

In any event, this is already moving forward in Reaper at the following thread through the efforts of Jedstar2000 and Fuseburn:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50111

Here is a video with an idea of the actions involved:

http://www.screencast.com/users/fuse...d-05806ed59dc4

Kind regards,
Jas
Thanks Jas
for explaining & convincing me of the value of this feature.
John L
Old 01-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #95
jas

Quote:
I'm an old pro, i have been there, done that but am very interested in new technology. If the "Emperor" has no clothes, I can say so. IMO PT does more than any other DAW but Badly.
John L
Hi John, I'm old too and share similar interests in Reaper just as you do.
Not to offend anyone here, but I still need to use PT to accomplish my work tasks effectively, but certainly, these guys (Cockos) are making quantum leaps with Reaper. These accomplishments are still really more for music than anything else as a sequencer (and probably should be in view of their following). The sync capabilities are yet to be developed for many editing tasks (auto-assembly from edl's etc.), and hopefully, these building blocks will come into use over time. I just hope, like you, to contribute in a positive way.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #96
airon

Quote:
Sure, I do understand, and I do loads of dialogue cleaning, so know this is valuable. And yes I think it is a valuable feature to have in Reaper.

My issue is using what is available in PT as any kind of a benchmark. I believe PT is the most powerful DAW, & is certainly what one has to master as a young effective & employable professional in the UK post for Film/TV market. But I don't have to play that game any more, I'm an old pro, i have been there, done that but am very interested in new technology. If the "Emperor" has no clothes, I can say so. IMO PT does more than any other DAW but Badly.
Very true. We've been screaming for the same things for 10 years at least.

Quote:
Eg As I wrote the PT pencil tool is so VERY far from what I can achieve in Samplitude, Adobe Audition or with with Cedar plugins to be a bit of a bad joke. Conversely bad "tools" in the hands of a dedicated pro can yield way better results than great tools in the hands of a lesser mortal. But PT is a VERY bad tool & a very bad model, why put up with this?
It's pretty much the most primitive tool to use, so by all means I'd love to see something better. I'm not sure the Reaper lads will pull those off before they put something as mundane and please-god-no-decrackle-paint-today-ish as the waveform drawing tool in to the program.

For my work, a lot of the time though, it'll be a question of time of whether I can take a more laborious approach. I edit stuff from daily shows to film, though the latter not as often as I'd like. A lot of the time I've had to work quickly and no production house ever gave me the pleasure of using a Cedar Retouch rig, or any of the audiosuite plugins they make. Are they still being maintained ?

I lost touch with Audition before it was named. Cooledit 96 was my last contact with that. Samplitude drove me off at version 3 or so and I haven't checked it out again since.

Would you like to give us an innocent example or two of what these tools offer for repair functions ? I'm pretty sure the Cockos gentlemen will not be remaking anything Cedar does, so we can skip their stuff.

What do they do ? Spectral interpolation ? Selective declicking without ruining the boundaries of the selection ? I've heard of the spectral editor in Audition, but never figured I'd take the time to use another program to fix a take. Especially, since Protools is so finicky about other programs running at the same time, and I usually have to use Protools.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:02 AM   #97
czarnekci

Default Some others features ideas...

Hello,

The way Airon explained its feature about ripple editing remind me a feature of pyramix: you can conform multitrack dialog takes from an avid omf. I never use it, but that's the only software I know who can do this.

The features requests are great for editing...but how can you go in the studio for mix? There's no full omf export (by the way it's not enough).
The best way is to come in the studio with your computer, one or 2 MADI out, but I've almost never seen studio who were working with MTC...and even if it's possible, the crew will think "what's this software...no RS422 protocol??". We need RS422, in master (with LTC sending), in slave(with LTC receive)...we need transport information...

I've seen some request about something like Video satellite in PT...it would be great, too.
And for the decklink support: the better way to have full HD, sending the video both in a screen and in a monitor at the same time...And so we need the ability to put an offset on the video track too...

But IMO RS422 is more important: did you forget the time of betacam? I think RS422 is less work than video support, and with rs422, it's very easy to do editing with an external video player even if this one is an avid.

So yes, much of work until I'm using reaper for something else than music
czarnekci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #98
airon

The session export is possible, but as usual you'll lose a lot of features doing so. Thus machine control support would be great. I hear some folks using AudioVision rigs they bring to a stage. It all depends if they will hire the editor to be the mixing-stage editor as well. Reaper is so universally flexible, and we have config files spread out quite a bit, that it's not easy to even get a Reaper installation to behave like another editor expects. He can bring his INI, keyboard config, menu config, scripts, extensions and all that, but it could get hairy .

The export is possible via the two export methods Reaper supports directly which Pro Convert can pick up, and to Nuendo sessions via AATranslator. Restrictions to what can go over apply.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:24 AM   #99
grizou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
And let's not forget, we need the following surround formats:

1. LCR Cinema Stereo LC R

2. 2+2 Quadraphonic L R Lr Rr

3. 3+1 Dolby Surround L C R S
(Pro Logic)

4. 5.1 Film L C R Ls Rs LFE
for Dolby Digital

5. 5.1 SMPTE / ITU L R C LFE Ls Rs

6. 5.1 DTS L R Ls Rs C LFE

7. 6.1 Dolby EX L C R Ls Cs Rs LFE

9. 7.1 SDDS L Lc C Rc R Ls Rs LFE

Legend: L=Left; R=Right; C=Center; S=Surround (mono); Ls=Left Surround; Rs=Right Surround; Lc=Left Center;
Rc=Right Center; Cs=Center Surround; Lr= Left Rear; Rr= Right Rear; LFE=Low Frequency Enhancement

Shane
I woulkd need this too, plus surround panning. Is there a feature Request to vote for?
grizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #100
John Lundsten

Originally Posted by Shan
And let's not forget, we need the following surround formats: (then a list of 9 formats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizou View Post
I woulkd need this too, plus surround panning. Is there a feature Request to vote for?
I think this is not needed considering the way Reaper works. Whereas DAW's like PT need loads of very specific "Track types" to make using mono files work. Reaper has what IMO is a far more powerful way of dealing with data types.

Anything goes on any track.

Eg in terms of audio anything from mono to a 64chan poly chan file can go on a track, the routing capabilities are massively more powerful than any other daw. Including having no problems at all with inserting plug-ins with any number of in's & outs.

So reaper is way better than a DAW like Logic where you have to fight the very rigid ideas of what they think you want.
So if say you want to insert the Schoeps Double MS VST plugin, in Reaper So easy, Logic & PT absolutely impossible, Nuendo is possible but a bit hard going. If you want something like 2nd order ambisonic surround it's Reaper (or a more programming type environment like Bidule).

Now I wish there were more than 2 meters on for sure the master & pref also the TCP. Has this already been FR'd?

There are already a pretty good selection of surround plug-in's, Jean Marc Duchenne's stuff for example, but a few more would be good too.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #101
John Lundsten

Default Reading Timecode on an Audio track FR

Increasingly semi pro, prosumer & toy video cameras & DSLR's are being used for Broadcast & other productions where the audio may well have the benefit of being recorded on a pro quality Filebased recorder like a SD788t & audio post done with a proper DAW.

A way round the fact the "image capturing" gear won't have things like jam sync or often any timecode capabilities means it is becomming quite common to record LTC timecode on the camera's audio track. Could be a cable from the audio recorder, radio link or better a small highly accurate jam syncable box attached to the camera.

later Avid's can read LTC on an audio track & locate clips to the correct point on the timeline. There is an add-on for FCP too.

This is fine, but even if they have the right software, can be beyond many video editors skills to maintain a good work method so that xtra material needed by the sound team but not the picture editor is available for sound Post.

What can be better & cheaper is to sync the "proper sound" say from a multitrack file based recorder to the picture rushes/dailies using a DAW not a NLE. Reaper is potentially ideal for this. Hey if one had AATranslator the resulting RPP reaper project can be given to editorial as a FCP XML or Vegas XML, EDL and soon as an OMF.

Another advantage to a production Co in having say the sound design team sync the sound is that:- editors quite rightly don't want to having the audio as loads of isolated tracks.

So generally professional production mixers will also do a rough mix.(But the editor may take just this track making it V hard work for the sound team to find the proper audio.
But this guide mix is not always possible, or just not done or the quality of the rough mix doesn't give the editor a good idea if the audio is usable.

Anyway all this can be cured by doing a V quick mix / select the most appropriate audio before delivering the result to the editor.

So, what would be neat is if in Reaper one could:--
1)load a bunch of video files (with either just timecode or T/c + guide audio on the stereo audio track. The way Reaper works they will be linked
2)have a Sync to LTC function, that would read the LTC from a selected track for each shot (only the 1st second or so) and move each clip to the correct position on the timeline.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #102
airon

Probably could be done, if the developers or extension authors can mooch the SMPTE/LTC JS reader code for detection, write a new BWF timecode to the file, and then use the spotting action we already have.

If that can be wrapped in to ONE action, it could open the door on other actions that can read the actual audio data from selected items to further process them.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #103
babag

here's a long term feature request i'd like to hear discussed by those more
familiar with programming than i am: modular application design.

one thing i like about reaper is its lack of bloat. unfortunately, coming
from a film/video post perspective, it looks like the reaper community is
primarily comprised of midi musicians, and they're all making a lot of
midi feature requests that, from my multimedia post perspective, looks
like it could easily turn reaper into the bloatware i'm trying to get away
from before i ever get the features that make it generally useful to me.

if that's the case, i'd love to see an application design which allowed
users to opt in/out of general areas of the application. midi people could
opt out of video functionality, i could opt out of midi, others could opt
out of installing a score editor if they ever wind up putting that in.

what's the practicality of such a concept?

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #104
John Lundsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
one thing i like about reaper is its lack of bloat. unfortunately, coming
from a film/video post perspective, it looks like the reaper community is
primarily comprised of midi musicians, and they're all making a lot of
midi feature requests that, from my multimedia post perspective, looks
like it could easily turn reaper into the bloatware
BabaG
I understand your fears but my main concern is I know Reaper is so tantalisingly close but not yet, the best DAW for Film/TV post-pro.

The developers are clearly very good, great coding ability, Reaper to me has a good underlying concept.

And I'm not so so very worried about "bloat", considering how much R does (yes a lot of it irrelevant to me) the size of the the EXE & the download size inc support files, the speed of installing and opening, it is amazing.

Yes from my point of view there is WAY TOO much MIDI stuff, & certain aspects are so music production orientated they totally miss the point for "post".

The development speed is impressive however; I reckon if the dev's could just concentrate on Film/TV post requirements for a Month Reaper could wipe out all other DAW's.

Just think of the number of PT "Slaves" who could loose their chains
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #105
airon

That will be a good day.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #106
Joystick

Quote:
Yes from my point of view there is WAY TOO much MIDI stuff, & certain aspects are so music production orientated they totally miss the point for "post".

The development speed is impressive however; I reckon if the dev's could just concentrate on Film/TV post requirements for a Month Reaper could wipe out all other DAW's.

Just think of the number of PT "Slaves" who could loose their chains
I hear you! I believe also that with some work Reaper could become the king of post, but coming from a world of music composition for moving picture I can ensure you that there is no such thing as "TOO much MIDI stuff". Of course I'm also a sound designer and I believe that many things can be done for the pure post production engineer.

Reaper for the People!

Cheers!
Joystick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM   #107
jas

Default Track Selection

Area Selection is a long standing popular request on the Reaper elevated tracker forum. It represents the evolution of Selection in the Feature Request forum. No further posts can be made in the elevated tracker forum.
So, I wish to comment here about it. A fundamental capability I find lacking in Reaper is the utilization of Track Selection for arming tracks for editing.
Editing can happen on one track, or group enabled tracks, but a fundamental ability is ignored by Reaper. As multitrack recording evolved in the analogue world, any tracks armed for record could be recorded on. That followed suit into the editing world as the first DAW's came into use. Any tracks armed for edit could be edited. Early hardware/software systems (New England Digital, Fairlight, Akai) were examples of that. Then Protools took that model and employed it in their user interface via Track Selection. Many other DAW's today do the same. It is a very rudimentary design that allows the user to select any range of tracks to be edited. This makes multitrack editing quite intuitive for many of us. I really wish Reaper would follow suit with this simple convention. This goes for copy, paste, delete, move, nudge, trim, slip, snap, ripple, envelope or any mode of editing or level adjustment on audio or midi.

Last edited by jas; 06-07-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:25 AM   #108
matthias.matthias

Default PIPs for Post Pro

PIPs open sheer endless possibilities for Post Pro. From something rather simple like an audio items container (in Nuendo 5 called Clip Package) to complex musical cues (including tempo changes) without ever having to afraid of messing up the sync between audio and video.

See here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...398#post528398
matthias.matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #109
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias.matthias View Post
PIPs open sheer endless possibilities for Post Pro. From something rather simple like an audio items container (in Nuendo 5 called Clip Package) to complex musical cues (including tempo changes) without ever having to afraid of messing up the sync between audio and video.

See here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...398#post528398
Agreed. I'm sure we'll see it at some point soon.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #110
airon

The PiP stuff has seen some improvements but are still not enabled in Reaper by default, because its technical design and its UI design are not considered good enough just yet. If you have specific needs and ideas for this functionality, post them. Better yet, word them well and email them to Cockos directly. Those guys want to give you solutions.

Jas, the multitrack selection and editing you're talking about, could you be more precise in how this is supposed to work ? Are you referring more to the edit-group method of Protools, or something else ? I've used Fairlights and Augans, so I know all about the edit-arming as well. What would you find beneficial for working in Reaper ?

Btw, all of you should subscribe to this thread, so you won't overlook a discussion that could be of some importance to you.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #111
EricM

Related feature request
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2170

[img]http://img689.**************/img689/5236/itemtimecode.jpg[/img]
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #112
jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Jas, the multitrack selection and editing you're talking about, could you be more precise in how this is supposed to work ? Are you referring more to the edit-group method of Protools, or something else ? I've used Fairlights and Augans, so I know all about the edit-arming as well. What would you find beneficial for working in Reaper ?
Yes, I am referring to the edit-group method of Protools. What would be beneficial for working in Reaper is that by arming one or any number of tracks for editing (through Track Selection), those and only those tracks would be affected by that form of edit. This particularly refers to Ripple Editing which ignores that form of selection in some instances at present. Ripple Editing works that way by selecting One Track only (which happens to mean Any Tracks Selected), but is inconsistent and really more dependent upon which items are selected in which tracks at present. It is difficult for me to be more precise, as I don't truly understand the logic employed in Ripple Editing at present. But I find the Protools implementation of Shuffle Mode (via Track Selection), which was an earlier development, far simpler and more intuitive. This is particularly important to post-production needs as picture changes in feature films require constant use of Shuffle Mode in Protools at the present time.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #113
ram130

+1 for this thread! Has anyone's request been fulfilled yet?
ram130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #114
airon

Yeah, some of them.

You can check out the Feature Requests Greatest Hits for an overview of what is done for some of the requests, and how many folks have voted for this stuff.

Right now I'm writing up a design document for a professional grade extension to the automation system. The work-in-progress can be seen in this thread.

Also, there is some detailed information about the video support in Reaper on these two Wiki pages and a forum page:

http://cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Video_Support
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php...ost_Production

Improved video decoder+encoder using FFMPEG

If you're using video, use what works well in Protools as well, and you'll be fine.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #115
mim

I think another important feature request is "consider receive as track input" :

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=755

Then we could :
-have the choice beetween monitoring receives or monitoring items,
-use the folder fader as a real monitoring fader
-check in real time the quality of a punch in stem recordings (with tapestyle monitoring)

With this, we can finally enjoy the brillant folder system of reaper.

I think the summary of the FR is good. For now I use the RME Driver to route some unused adat output directly to input, but it's not sample accurate synchro, a native option with latency compensated recording, will just do fine.
Unfortunately this FR has only 27 counts, please vote. Doesn't look so hard to do, but improves the reaper experience a lot.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #116
airon

Yeah, we've had a bit of a discussion about that. I voted for this ages ago.

In the end I do hope we can just choose to record whatever is routed to the track, instead of its output, and then have the monitoring options detailed in this thread as well.

V4 will begin to hit us with test versions very soon. Maybe they already have something in mind in this direction. We'll have to wait and see and when things are looking good for most other super-supported issues, build attention for this one.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #117
mim

I'm looking for a 3rd party vst x64 surround panner... There don't seems to be any. So a native one for Reaper is a must have.
mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #118
airon

It's on the agenda I'm sure. Keep an eye on the pre-release forum. V4 alphas should be popping up any time now.

Be sure to test any panner features and post your feedback. That's important, because the Cockos boys may be genius programmers, but they rely on us to tell them it's good enough to use for the beginning user to the veteran professional.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #119
fortunedsouls

Default odd idea

banks of automation presets-
like:
fadeins (slow/fast/panned/etc)
crossfades
lfo
resonance/etc

kind of like a toolbar with all these ideas that are accessible from anywhere in reaper, I suppose. does this make sense at all to anyone else but me? lol
sometimes, I don't want draw out a damn envelope or cc automation, etc by hand or using a fader/etc. sometimes it'd be nice to just drag a clip/preset that does it for me- and if it's not the right size/speed/etc then simply drag as you would an audio file to change it's time-

just an idea.
fortunedsouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #120
bharath

Default Video Frames Track

Post-Production need #1: Have a separate lane(adjustable height) right on top, near the markers lanes that shows you the video track frame by frame.
bharath is offline   Reply With Quote