Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 11-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
skippertag
Human being with feelings

Default Create Alias Names for Track Channels and make the Plugin-Pin Connector dockable

We all seeing that people tend to use the fantastic REAPER only feature of having up to 64 Channels within on single track more and more. The FX-Rack of Eugene as the best example for it but that's of course not the only one.

But as things get more complex I think it's really important to see what's going on there. In scripting people do some short descriptions above the special sections (//Draw gui, //here the coffee is getting hot....) which is a really helpful thing when you come back to a script later or in complex scripts.

For the Input and Output channels of the Audio Device we already have that functionality to easily find the output of our choice.

I think it's time to add that feature to the Channels of a Track to make things much clearer.
----------
In addition to that I think it would be really really useful to make the Plugin-Pin Connector window dockable between the FXChain List and the FX Window, automatically showing the routing of the selected fx. (The later one should be implemented without the docking feature also. It's really annoying to always have to open the window each time I select a new fx in the chain.)

That's it.

Many thanks in advance for considering this for future releases.

Frank
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Yes, the number matching game sucks. Why can't we alias our track channels? Even if it was just a script window where we could write notes for each channel...

A while back I tried to envision a more comprehensive fx window: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130438 but I guess not many see the benefits or it was all tl;dr...

Routing fx and inserts are still all just "fx" to my mind. Should be able to see all of it in one window.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-28-2017 at 04:49 AM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Yes, the number matching game sucks. Why can't we alias our track channels? Even if it was just a script window where we could right notes for each channel...

A while back I tried to envision a more comprehensive fx window: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=130438 but I guess not many see the benefits or it was all tl;dr...

Routing fx and inserts are still all just "fx" to my mind. Should be able to see all of it in one window.
It's definitely not an easy task.... too much information often leads easy to information overload.

I think Heda and his Track Inspector has come to a reasonable and good to handle solution..... beside the Channel Pins.. but for that we've got the great Routing Matrix Script which makes it a lot easier in these days to get an overview.. but also no names..maybe they can add it..

but...to have the channel names in the native FX Chain Viewer would be better imO.
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Big +1 on this. It would be nice for soooo many reasons. This is not the first time it's been requested, but is the most recent I could find.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
beside the Channel Pins.. but for that we've got the great Routing Matrix Script which makes it a lot easier in these days to get an overview..
Didn't know about this...thanks for the heads up!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
karbomusic

+1, lets do it.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Tone Ranger

YES PLEASE TO THIS!!!
Tone Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
ashcat_lt

Just noticed this isn't the actual FR forum!
Old 04-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Just noticed this isn't the actual FR forum!
You put me up to it!
Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
ashcat_lt

Wait! Actually it is... Don't know what I was looking at earlier. ???

Anyway, it deserves a bump. I'm only really worried about the channel alias part myself. I don't really need the pin connectors docked, but if we could see more than one at a time, that might be cool.

It would be really great to see those aliases in sends on the MCP so you can know at a glance where it goes.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
ashcat_lt

Maybe we need to flesh out this idea some. I think the devs prefer to see a well thought-out presentation of an idea like with mockups and stuff. There’s quite a lot to think about here, and somebody’s got to come up with some sort of plan. I’m not exactly sure I’m up to it right now, but if we put our heads together...

First off exactly what all needs to change for this to work and actually be useful? Off the top of my head, there’s a couple things, but most of it is in and around the I/O panel.

1. Add a button nest to “Track Channels” labeled something like “Channel Names” which opens a new moral window which looks and works pretty much like the one we have for aliasing hardware I/O, but applies only to the channels on this one track.
a) Ideally we could add and subtract channel pairs here too so we don’t have to go back and forth to the Track Channels dropdown. In fact, maybe it’s not so much like the I/O aliasing, but just a numbered list of names and you can move the names up and down or add and delete them right there. Fine if you still force the total channel count to pairs. (We’ll have that fight another day )

That will be where the real magic happens. The rest is just display, I think, but where all does that need to happen.

2. We’re still in the I/O panel, so let’s start at the top:
a) Parent Channels will display whatever names the parent has given to it’s channels.
b) Send, Audio Hardware Outputs, and Receives are all pretty much the same. The boxes where were choose source and destination channels will display the names that the respective track has defined. We’d want to see the numbers, too for sure.
I) It would be super cool if the “Add new...” drop downs actually did a tree thing so we could pick the specific channel(s) right there. So like you hover over the track and basically see the same as in those Source/Destination things. This would be cool even without channel names!

3. Now the MCP. ATM, sends don’t tell us anything about the channels. That sucks and I’d be ecstatic if It could be fixed with or without the addition of names, but in the context of this FR, I’d like for the send to read like “1.1/2: Channel Name on Track Name”. Now I know there’s not much space there, but it should “tool tip” when we hover over it, no?

4. Plugin pin connectors. I’m not sure how much more needs to be said. Display channel names there. Would be really nice if we could do naming right there. Like just click and type. I understand that is maybe beyond the scope of this window, and can definitely live with display-only here.

Running out of time for right now, but one other thought I had was like if we explode a multichannel item from a track with named channels, maybe the new tracks could (optionally?) inherit those names.

What do you think of that? What else needs to change? Where else would we even see these things? Wanna make some pictures of what I’ve described? Let’s whip this together cause it really would make so many things so much better.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:00 PM   #12
karbomusic

I don't have time to digest it all right now but for consistency's sake I think doing it the same as the hardware alias list is the right way to start - then display the name alongside the channel where that makes sense and doesn't cause too many real estate issues and tooltips everywhere else. Then just open it up and type in your alias names - make it an actionable shortcut and save adding all the buttons etc. and you can access it from anywhere at anytime by clicking a key combo and/or just pin it open or dock if desired.

Potentially making it able to be saved in project settings (as default if desired) would be helpful. If we over engineer it, the implementation could end up messy IMHO - what's the most bang for the buck with the least dev work IOW.

Last edited by karbomusic; 02-28-2020 at 12:22 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Potentially making it able to be saved in project settings (as default if desired) would be helpful.
I don’t think that’s at all appropriate. This needs to be a property of an individual track or it’s not much help. It would be saved with track templates. It could be useful to have them as their own type of template or something that could be laid over an existing track, but even just a way to copy between tracks would be enough, and frankly I’d be happy even without that. We can’t really do that kind of things with sends...
Old 02-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #14
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I don’t think that’s at all appropriate.
Like I said, I hadn't digested fully but with 64 channels 'per track' then yea.