Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 04-28-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
Skaven252
Human being with feelings

Default Smear function for Spectral edits and ReaFIR

I've been playing around with this wonderful FFT bag-of-tricks plugin called DtBlkFX (free VST). While ReaFIR can do many of the other tricks that DtBlkFX can do, there is one function I'd like: Smear, ie randomize the phases of the spectrum.

This is a nice, useful effect for making sounds more spacious, for example if you have a reverberant audio clip that is in mono, you could use a spectral Smear edit to make the reverb tail stereo decorrelated and spacious sounding. It can also be used to 'blur' the detail in a sound to make all kinds of creepy weird ambient soundscapes.

Side note: The Cockos Spectral Hold does this phase randomization but it also freezes the sound to a single loop.

So why don't I just use DTBlkFX? I do, but due to the latency it introduces it would often be easier to target the function with a Spectral Edit window.

Thanks!
Skaven252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Skaven252

Bümp.

To make it easier to see and hear what I'm talking about, I made a video capture from Reaper using the DTBlkFXS plugin.

https://youtu.be/MJfN4xGWYcw

So, smear gives a nice reverb-like effet by randomizing the phase of every band. It smears both the transients and the stereo image, but retains the spectral characteristic, like Spectral Hold does.

It would be great to be able to use spectral edits for smearing, to 'pre-bake' the effect into the sound. Then you would not have to deal with latency, and you could easily place the smear window to the time and frequency area you desire. I for one would find many uses for this during my sound design duties.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Masi

But if the phase change is random it must be applied during playback. So you'll still get latency.

Or do you just want an "applied" (static) randomisation like the humanisation feature for MIDI events?

Masi

PS: Is there no audio editor that does the trick?
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #4
Skaven252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masi View Post
Or do you just want an "applied" (static) randomisation like the humanisation feature for MIDI events?
Pretty much. Just like all the other Spectral Edits are pre-applied to the audio item, the smear would be applied the same way. So there is not latency in the sense that the latency is compensated for when the edit is applied.

Quote:
PS: Is there no audio editor that does the trick?
Probably some (possibly Adobe Audition? Haven't tried it; iZotope RX does not have that function), but Reaper lets me add these spectral edits non-destructively, so you don't have to make intermediate file copies when you apply spectral edits.