Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 12-04-2018, 03:27 AM   #1
deeb
Human being with feelings

Default req: input midi pass thru to fx items

Something like this or somewhere else:

so that we can monitor and record midi using our midi controllers directly on a item fx (vsti or vst, which can't be done now).

ideally there should be an action like:
- enable pass thru midi input on selected track
- disable pass thru midi input on selected track

Benefits: Manny times Lots of effort is putted in one sound and so reusability, creative gymnastic and non cluttering with one track for just a sound in all project is very welcome. And so ability to use our keyboard and controller knobs in an item context would be very useful.

Hope you get the idea!

Last edited by deeb; 12-04-2020 at 11:27 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 AM   #2
EvilDragon

I don't see a point really.

Also, it's "pass-thru".
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:35 AM   #3
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I don't see a point really.
it's normal ! : ) we can't see everything

Quote:

Also, it's "pass-thru".
ohh ok ! Thanks!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
EvilDragon

it literally doesn't make sense. Use auto-punch selected items recording mode (right-click the Record button in transport) and MIDI touch-replace recording mode (or just outright replace, if you want it that way) if you want to record directly "into" an item.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #5
deeb

Quote:
it literally doesn't make sense. Use auto-punch selected items recording mode (right-click the Record button in transport) and MIDI touch-replace recording mode (or just outright replace, if you want it that way) if you want to record directly "into" an item.
Ok I'll edit op later.. the aim is to have a vsti instrument as an item fx.. and be able to get input to trigger it.

With this then we can have a a different composing structure, based on freezing resources as takes ... keeping the history of the editing on this takes.

Also, we can't use our controllers to automate a knob of an item fx vst without this request, because the input doesn't gets there.

You see some point now?

Last edited by deeb; 12-04-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
EvilDragon

That again doesn't make any sense. Why would you load the same VSTi multiple times (one on each item you want)? That is just bad for RAM load. Makes no sense especially if it would be the same patch throughout the song. Extra RAM usage for no good reason. And freeze works just fine even with VSTi on track (and can freeze multiple items as separate files when there's silence between them)...
Old 12-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #7
deeb

Quote:
That again doesn't make any sense. Why would you load the same VSTi multiple times (one on each item you want)? That is just bad for RAM load. Makes no sense especially if it would be the same patch throughout the song. Extra RAM usage for no good reason. And freeze works just fine even with VSTi on track...
I gave you 2 reasons. You Answering to 1.
I am not sure if it will take much more ram, and as I said I freeze those vst after I think it is appropriate, and keep his history. Most of thing are loops, makes much sense to freeze based on items then on tracks (freeing hard disk and time). Also not everyone as the same view or needs that you might have.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
deeb

And if you think, items FX work for this purpose,but unlike audio items FX, a vst in midi item FX by it self do nothing,because there is no sound source, so unless we put an instrument in item fx chain, items FX are useless for midi items)

Can you see my point of view now?

Last edited by deeb; 12-04-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #9
mccrabney

+1. there are plenty of instances where you might want midi fx or certain vsti to exist only on one item and not others in a track. this came up in a thread just last week in Q/A
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
deeb

bump!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
+1. there are plenty of instances where you might want midi fx or certain vsti to exist only on one item and not others in a track. this came up in a thread just last week in Q/A
Then you can write the list here.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #12
deeb

Tone in general if you think you'll be using one sound (or sequence) which will be used very few times in a entire project and this sound source is a vsti, it might just clutter the project having to make a track for it.

Last edited by deeb; 03-28-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #13
deeb

So being able to use our keyboard and controller knobs in an item context would be very useful, that is why the request.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
Ice

+1 - This is a continuation of other threads we've been discussing this in. It has arguably less use for music where a single track is typically dedicated to a single instrument.

For us in sound effects for film and games, and large projects, we could use this to place dozens or hundreds of unique samplers or VI's at various places on the same track. That kind of flexibility is only usable as Take FX and its entirely too tedious to do by automating them on the track FX Chain. It would be fantastic to be able to trigger a Take FX VI with live MIDI input for tweaking that VI.

FWIW with a CPU load or RAM consideration, at the moment I'm just using Reasamplomatic5000 for this. Its CPU lightweight and works fantastically well for this. I only discovered we could put a VI on an item a couple of days ago and it has revolutionized my workflow. This is as close as I've come to replicating my Synclavier days back in the mid 90's. I've been looking for this for ages.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #15
deeb

Well yeah, but for music also. Some music genres are full of sound design. Lots of effort putted in one sound and so reusability, creative gymnastic and non cluttering with one track for just a sound in all project is very welcome, just midi is missing or in other words would be perfect.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:53 PM   #16
deeb

b u m p !