Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Eyes
Human being with feelings

Default The V4 MIDI Reafinement Thread

The purpose of this thread is to replace the old sticky midi request thread. Please post any midi FR's/behaviour changes in this thread they will be added to the first post so we have an index of popular requests.

Please make sure all FR's actually have an entry in the tracker; Just posting it in here is not enough.

Feature requests:
MIDI Filter Events Box: Allow multiple MIDI items to be selected, simultaneously
New MIDI Editor reuse mode - "Reuse MIDI editor automatically"
CC Lane event editing (Shift-Left/Drag)
Snap Offset handle for MIDI Notes (optional)
Midi Editor Navigator

Behaviour reafinements:
Midi Editor: Remember last used zoom/stable zooming
Predictable midi content of items

Bugs
Solo leaves orphaned MIDI notes hanging for ever!
MIDI is displayed inaccurately in both the Media Explorer and arrangement window

Last edited by Eyes; 06-16-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Eyes

I am going to try to link midi FR's to this thread over the next couple of days, if anyone could help by posting their FR's or more common request links it would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #3
yevster

Default Whole-track MIDI actions

I just submitted two FRs. Since Reaper's MIDI workflow is very clip-centric, and makes it much more difficult to manipulate entire instrumental parts compared to other DAWs (such as Sonar), I submitted FRs for two track actions:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3471 - Open selected track(s) in MIDI editor and
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3472 - Glue all items in selected track(s) in MIDI editor.

By using these actions, a user can combine and manipulate whole tracks full of MIDI events without having to find and select every single MIDI clip.
yevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
EvilDragon

Changing the work paradigm for MIDI from item-based to track-based should be a priority. This would mean that we would always see the whole track in the MIDI editor, and MIDI items would just be "clips", sections of the track that are copyable, etc.

Then, Cockos SHOULD allow developers registering their actions in other contexts than Main, so that we could have new MIDI Editor actions in the corresponding Actions list context. Workarounds are not nice.

We should be able to decrease the width of left-side piano roll graphic, to gain more space.

Load Scales dialog does not remember last visited folder. I don't want it to look in REAPER Resources/Data, I created my own folder, REAPER Resources/Scales, that I want it to look into.

The Scale button should change its width according to the scale name length.

MIDI Filter should be dockable to MIDI Editor (this is coming, according to schwa's words).
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
pitpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
We should be able to decrease the width of left-side piano roll graphic, to gain more space.
Man, i totally agree! This option would be really great. The current keyboard layout takes up valuable space on my laptop screen. Even an option to totally hide the keyboard would help!

Is there a FR for this?
pitpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 AM   #6
Zblogny

Quote:
Changing the work paradigm for MIDI from item-based to track-based should be a priority. This would mean that we would always see the whole track in the MIDI editor, and MIDI items would just be "clips", sections of the track that are copyable, etc.
Is there a FR for this ?
I would vote yes, if I have not already done so, but I do not remember...
Zblogny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #7
EvilDragon

This one is going halfways there: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2739
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Zblogny

Just voted !
Zblogny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
Tod

I don't think this is an FR yet but I'd like the ability to use Shift-Left/Drag (Create straight line of cc events) to work without selecting any events regardless whether the cursor is on an event or not.

Also if there are any events allready selected, they should be unselected as soon as you hit Shift-Left mouse.

Since Shift-Left/Drag is used for Createing a straight line of existing CC events, there's no reason it should be selecting events.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
AtmanActive

Default Proper mute/solo for MIDI tracks and items during playback

Proper mute/solo for MIDI tracks and items during playback: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=894
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Eyes

Thanks all, updating first post now~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yevster View Post
I just submitted two FRs. Since Reaper's MIDI workflow is very clip-centric, and makes it much more difficult to manipulate entire instrumental parts compared to other DAWs (such as Sonar), I submitted FRs for two track actions:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3471 - Open selected track(s) in MIDI editor and
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3472 - Glue all items in selected track(s) in MIDI editor.

By using these actions, a user can combine and manipulate whole tracks full of MIDI events without having to find and select every single MIDI clip.
Do you mean viewing multiple items or editing multiple. Currently Reaper can view multiple items at the same time, I have mine set to open all midi items on the same track at the same time when an item is open. Setting is in the preferences menu.

As for editing multiple items at the same time, that is something we all constantly ask for. This FR is a start:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2573

Quote:

Then, Cockos SHOULD allow developers registering their actions in other contexts than Main, so that we could have new MIDI Editor actions in the corresponding Actions list context. Workarounds are not nice.

Load Scales dialog does not remember last visited folder. I don't want it to look in REAPER Resources/Data, I created my own folder, REAPER Resources/Scales, that I want it to look into.

The Scale button should change its width according to the scale name length.

MIDI Filter should be dockable to MIDI Editor (this is coming, according to schwa's words).
Agreed!

I made a FR for track based editing which had 3 things which needed to be changed (item based colour, better opening editor options and edit multiple items). The first two were added to V4, I really hope we can edit multiple items at the same time soon.

Mike's FR for multiple item editing: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2573
Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #12
Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtmanActive View Post
Proper mute/solo for MIDI tracks and items during playback: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=894
Listed as a bug as its still unresolved, is that ok?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
run, megalodon

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see this somehow. My dream for making midi based compositions in Reaper is to work solely in the editor, switching between tracks whenever I please, seeing the ghosted data of the other tracks as is now possible with the filter, but also moving about however I please in time, not worrying about clip boundaries or creating clips in order to begin working.

Last edited by run, megalodon; 08-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Lawrence

They'll get to it I'm sure. It appears as if Reaper will be in development for many more years so given that, not much that isn't viable or possible along the way.

In the meantime working with midi is a little clumsier than it probably should be in some cases but they'll work it all out.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 AM   #15
AtmanActive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
Listed as a bug as its still unresolved, is that ok?
Yes, of course.
From a user point of view, it is a bug.
From a developer point of view, it is a missing feature.
AtmanActive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Lawrence

Trying to be helpful and add some constructive comments even though I don't use Reaper's midi editor. Things that may be useful for the ongoing discussion. So please take all this in the spirit intended since I don't even really use Reaper's ME.

The filter list specifically... it's (respectfully, raw functionality aside) 99.9% function (it does the stuff that needs doing) and 0.1% design. It's just really klunky and relatively unintuitive and kinda really cluttered.

There's gotta be a better way - design wise - to get to the same place(s) than with that filter list.

As visually stunning as some of the V4 themes are ... this view, with the midi editor fully extended and the filter list open so you can actually navigate the midi tracks and similar, is arguably just (imo, mmv) just not very good... comparably speaking.
  • In a large midi project you'd have literally hundreds of little buttons in that list with their hundreds of little letters to do stuff. Each track has 4 buttons and each clip on every track has four buttons.

Not sure why you'd need a bunch of little record and solo buttons there when the ME only puts focus on a single part at a time anyway? Wouldn't one single Record, Mute & Solo button on the actual editor window do that for whatever track has the edit focus?
  • You have to keep it open to have those functions available so closing it is a no go if you plan to work in the full ME for any length of time using those functions.
  • The list is unnaturally long because every clip gets it's own line. You can collapse things but still... that the list itself is much longer than the actual arrange track list isn't good.
Some other things there that just don't make a lot of sense to me personally (mmv on the subjective) are...
  • The kinda huge width of the piano roll taking up horizontal edit space. In addition to the width of the docked filter list.
  • The uniquely odd small sizing targets for the controller lane height, off fully to either side instead of the entire thick bar being a sizing handle all the way across.
  • Maybe not being able to (haven't tried in 4) call an instrument GUI and/or replace an instrument with a new one and/or change an instrument preset when the arrange tracks and mixer are both not showing while working in the ME like this. For all the many tiny little buttons in the list that many people might not ever use, you'd think one of them would be "I" to call the instrument.
Hopefully some of that will make it into the future discussions. This is a mode (ME full) I've worked in with midi in a lot of sequencers and this one is just really klunky to try to work in.

Suffice to say, this screen shot would not make a good ad pic for Reaper 4.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-09-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
BlackBart

Fitting in with the reusable ME idea....
This has always driven me nuts. PLEASE can we have the ME not disappear when gluing an item showing (foreground or background) in the ME.

I see no reason for this behavior.
BlackBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
Tod

Okay I put in a FR for better CC Lane event editing (Shift-Left/Drag).

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85470
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
shakey.oberon

Are there any users on here using hardware synths? We use a lot, and there are a few things which are making our lives very difficult, such as not sending note off messages when tracks are solo'd for one thing.

Will check version 4 to see if they're sorted, but interested to see if there are any other users experiencing difficulties.

Cheers

Just checked and there is already a FR for this, voted

Last edited by shakey.oberon; 08-10-2011 at 03:40 PM.
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #20
PitchSlap

Feature requests:
-Transpose MIDI from the Media Explorer. Allowing ANY MIDI file to be previewed in context with the current project.

Behavior reafinements:
-Predictable midi content of items...
proportional view according to the content inside the midi

-Allow quantizing MIDI from the main window.

-Allow gluing without committing quantization.

-Actions to show all CC lanes with data, and hide the ones that don't.

Bugs
-Solo leaves orphaned MIDI notes hanging for ever!

This was the biggest regression in v4 MIDI. It's been broken for about 30 builds now.

-Another big bug related to basic functionality is that MIDI is displayed inaccurately in both the Media Explorer and arrangement window.

Last edited by PitchSlap; 08-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #21
mikeroephonics

FR: 'MIDI Editor: Snap Offset handle for MIDI Notes (optional)'
VOTE: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3487

Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Mr. Data

Here is an FR I posted some time ago. It could be a versatile MIDI filter and manipulator, which somewhat is leaned on Cubase's Logical Editor. It contains a simple groove editor as well and possibilities to fill items with single notes (or other events) and/or arpeggios. The graphical interface, however, might not be that appealing since it is based on the early V3 MIDI editor, where there was much unused space at the top of it (the space that now holds the toolbar).

-Data
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #23
XITE-1/4LIVE

Quote:
Totally agree. I dont need the names of my cymbals or a virtual board, just give me space.
Or make it so we can drag the edit area over it like I already do in the Main Reaper window.

It's another reason why Grey Matters Vertical Collapse of the tracks in the TCP is such a treat.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #24
Mr. Data

Could we possibly bump this (maybe once a day ), 'cos I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) think, that Reaper still lacks some basic MIDI functions, not to talk about more complex ones?

Maybe a sticky would be appropriate.

Looking at "Today's posts" today, I was appalled to see that it already slipped back to the third page.

-Data
Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM   #25
XITE-1/4LIVE

Bump........
Make MIDI Editors' edit window drag over the ecess space on the left...

Last edited by XITE-1/4LIVE; 08-31-2011 at 11:51 AM.
XITE-1/4LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
Eyes

Updated the first post with links to threads/FR's posted.

The latest pre updates are updating the zoom functions for the arrange view, hopefully the Dev's can fix the zoom issues in the midi editor at the same time.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #27
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
Or make it so we can drag the edit area over it like I already do in the Main Reaper window.
That's a good idea actually. Beyond mapping names for drums or clicking a key to hear a sound... is a keyboard graphic even really necessary for midi editing or is it something people just expect to see?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
mikeroephonics

FR: MIDI Editor: Group Notes, CCs, Prg.Changes, Etc
DISCUSS: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=85930

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 08-22-2011 at 04:48 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #29
krahosk

Default toggle keyboard/cc type display

krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
mikeroephonics

Default FR: MIDI Editor: Improved Note & Vel. Graphics

FR: MIDI Editor: Improved Note & Vel. Graphics
Vote: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3529

"Ungrouped Notes & CCs" Overview:
(More detailed pictures in link)

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 08-22-2011 at 04:49 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #31
copacetic

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=86298

If anyone could see their way to helping me out with that by A) telling me I'm not missing a way to do what I need to do and that it would be helpful to anyone other than myself, and B) assist in making a sensible FR, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #32
mikeroephonics

FR: MIDI Editor: Velocity/CC Lanes: Custom, snappable Grid divisions
VOTE: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3538

Old 08-22-2011, 05:23 AM   #33
mikeroephonics

FR: MIDI Editor Lock Toolbar options (like Arrange locking)
Vote: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3033
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #34
bennetng

In general, all midi-related operations, if applicable, should be able to perform in the following levels:

1. single value (a note, a controller value and so on)
2. selected values (by using the midi filter or other means)
3. selected midi item(s)
4. selected track(s)
5. selected channel(s)
6. all midi data in the project

Examples of actions including
1. transpose
2. scale velocity/controller values in absolute/relative manner
3. use one instrument list in selected tracks/channels
4. quantize
...and so on

Sorry I am not very good at making mockup or describe things step by step, but the above are what I dreamed of...
bennetng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #35
SmityWerbenJagermanJensen

Right Mouse-button options for MIDI Modifiers

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3411
Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #36
G-Sun

Great thread
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #37
mikeroephonics

There have been a lot of fantastic MIDI requests lately!

Here's one:

FR: Multiple Piano Key Rows in MIDI Editor (optional)
Vote: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3582
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #38
G-Sun

Bahviour:
Some times screensets are not saving the Midi Editor Window properly
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #39
stumpbroke1

Default MFX

MFX support, please...please....please!
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #40
kongwee

I used a lot of sample key switching. I need to see incoming note from my keyboard. I can't find anywhere. Preferably beside the transport bar. This keep me from doing midi stuff from Reaper.
kongwee is offline   Reply With Quote