Old 10-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #41
mattfaulkner
Human being with feelings

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=90198

"Actions for changing MIDI insert velocity"
Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #42
Eyes

Sorry guys, I have been avoiding forums due to uni workload. Still quite busy but needed so visit to get ED's opinion on a sample library (lol).

I'll update the first post when possible.

Just added one new FR for being able to view note metadata (names, velocity etc) on all open clips not just the one in focus.

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3736
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #43
Eyes

One more that may be useful to midi users... the ability to simplify the values shown on the rules to prevent complex values being shown when they are not needed.

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3738
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #44
buoya

As far as I can see the big ones that stand out for me are..

- MIDI notes snap to visible grid option.
- Resizable Piano Roll
- Removing the piano role from inline editing(You cant add in the first note of the bar because the pianos there..)
- Having each key occupy a seperate grid lane for clarity. I think if your drawing things in a grid in MIDI theres absolutley no need to represent the overlap of the black keys it just makes it a bit confusing to matchup what note you are drawing in.
buoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #45
buoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
^This
buoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #46
hamish

Default Draw MIDI events while recording

This would be a ReaFinement.

If audio peaks are drawn on the fly while recording, why not MIDI?

If there is an option I've still not found it.

[edit]

So with my newer laptop I sometimes get MIDI notes drawn on the fly when recording.I guess it is the 'lazy' update of GUI maybe. Still it just comes and goes, sometimes draws sometimes not. Audio peaks (approx) are always drawn while recording.

Last edited by hamish; 05-22-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: sometimes have MIDI notes drawn while recording
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #47
stumpbroke1

Better support for odd meter, this is killing me, see link
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=93364
stumpbroke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #48
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Changing the work paradigm for MIDI from item-based to track-based should be a priority. This would mean that we would always see the whole track in the MIDI editor, and MIDI items would just be "clips", sections of the track that are copyable, etc.
Just this on its own would make my life soooo much easier, almost to the point of allowing me to stop using my elderly Amiga for sequencing MIDI.

This and mono tracks as an option....

*sigh*
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #49
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Just this on its own would make my life soooo much easier, almost to the point of allowing me to stop using my elderly Amiga for sequencing MIDI.

This and mono tracks as an option....

*sigh*
Yeah. I'd like that. I've been thinking about slaving Reaper to Sonar for my midi.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #50
chammer

Default Failed Quest for Quintuplets and Septuplets in Grid

I have it on Forum advise that the following is not yet possible in the Reaper MIDI Editor. If that's not the case I apologize.

In the Editor it would be great if the Grid subdivision choices extended to: 1) odd numbers other than 3 (the only odd number choice, the Triplet) like 5, 7, 9, 11, etc., and 2) that time length over which the chosen subdivision could affect be user selectable to include all possible standard note values including dotted note values (e.g. eight note, dotted eight, quarter note, dotted quarter note, half-note, dotted half-whole, etc.) so that any portion of a bar in any time signature can so subdivided. I'm just a composer and not a programmer, but it strikes me that a useful and efficient layout for this function would be to have a Grid Parameter pop up window where these choices could be actuated.

This would open Reaper up to a community of those of us who utilize odd number subdivisions of the beat(s) regularly as a means to making music. The group of people I'm referring to, though no doubt there are others, hail from the modern classical composition and world music community. A feature like this in Reaper would, for instance, make East Indian style composition a much more viable possibility. As it stands now it appears that it's hardly possible to even talk of "work flow" in this area because the tools are so minimal, or outright missing.

In an attempt to flush out the details of what I'm proposing I offer this excerpt from an email volley I had with a friend about this issue recently, by way of describing how an old (ancient) sequencer program called Vision was set up to handle odd number subdivisions of a beat or beats. Cheers.

"Have you been able, or have you tried to enter quintuplets or septuplets via step sequencing in the MIDI Editor in Reaper? I've been unable to. Of course there are compositional ways to devise quintuplets and septuplets with eight notes, or quarter notes, etc., by constructing a polyrhythmic scheme... and although that's a great way to compose, it's not the application I'm looking for here. What I'd simply like to do, and what Reaper apparently does not provide, is to say, in 4/4 time input a 16th note quintuplet that would (obviously) occupy the full value of a quarter note. Remember the old Vision sequencer program from Opcode (step record/sequence-wise very sophisticated) which offered a note input parameter box that among things gave you a 2-part numerical division/note value equation feature where you could create any type of "tuplet" you wanted. I still have my Mac Plus with Vision and it still works!! If you don't remember, here's how it worked: the first pulldown box in the feature functioned as the numerical division of the beat or beats (e.g. if you wanted to make a septuplet you chose or typed in the number 7); the second pull down box, which offered no keyboard "type in" option like the first box, was where you selected the note value that was to be divided (quarter note, eight note, half note, or even dotted notes). It was (is) compositionally so seamless. You could be tooling along inputting straight 16th notes in 4/4 time, and then if you felt you needed an eight note quintuplet figure, you simply went to that note input box and chose 5 in the time of a half note and Vision would calculate an eight note quintuplet subdivision value for you to apply notes to (and/or rests). I've spent a good amount time with the Reaper manual and the program trying to find a similar function and I haven't been able to. I really love Reaper, and it has proven a number of times in the past that it has functions that I'm not aware of immediately, but even if this functions exists, the fact that it's buried somewhere makes it at the very least very difficult to compose with for those of us utilizing odd number subdivisions of the beat."
chammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 AM   #51
IOM

Default Generic MIDI Remote

I read that many of Reaper users are requesting this feature. Just a ++1 for the Generic Midi remote. It would be super awesome to use what ever midi controller with Reaper. I controlled Cubase with my DM-24 and it was flawless. I could use a total of 16 faders x7 just to mix my tracks. It's a shame I cannot do that in Reaper. For Tascam DM-24 there is only one half developed .dll which works as a Mackie HUI emulator but I'm not that fond of it because it has only 8 tracks on one DM-24 layer not 16. Please make this customizable GMR and Reaper is perfect for me and many other users I hope!
IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #52
UnderwaterSunlight

i definitely agree with the statement above.
one thing that makes me go back to cubase often is the lack of generic remote surface capability in reaper. it would be awesome to be able to use my bcr 2000 in reaper as that controller can even receive LED feedback. up to now i must use it with most encoders set to relative mode which necessitates disabling all LED's.

please developers, go about this as soon as possible.
UnderwaterSunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #53
stumpbroke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammer View Post
I have it on Forum advise that the following is not yet possible in the Reaper MIDI Editor. If that's not the case I apologize.

In the Editor it would be great if the Grid subdivision choices extended to: 1) odd numbers other than 3 (the only odd number choice, the Triplet) like 5, 7, 9, 11, etc., and 2) that time length over which the chosen subdivision could affect be user selectable to include all possible standard note values including dotted note values (e.g. eight note, dotted eight, quarter note, dotted quarter note, half-note, dotted half-whole, etc.) so that any portion of a bar in any time signature can so subdivided. I'm just a composer and not a programmer, but it strikes me that a useful and efficient layout for this function would be to have a Grid Parameter pop up window where these choices could be actuated.

This would open Reaper up to a community of those of us who utilize odd number subdivisions of the beat(s) regularly as a means to making music. The group of people I'm referring to, though no doubt there are others, hail from the modern classical composition and world music community. A feature like this in Reaper would, for instance, make East Indian style composition a much more viable possibility. As it stands now it appears that it's hardly possible to even talk of "work flow" in this area because the tools are so minimal, or outright missing.

In an attempt to flush out the details of what I'm proposing I offer this excerpt from an email volley I had with a friend about this issue recently, by way of describing how an old (ancient) sequencer program called Vision was set up to handle odd number subdivisions of a beat or beats. Cheers.

"Have you been able, or have you tried to enter quintuplets or septuplets via step sequencing in the MIDI Editor in Reaper? I've been unable to. Of course there are compositional ways to devise quintuplets and septuplets with eight notes, or quarter notes, etc., by constructing a polyrhythmic scheme... and although that's a great way to compose, it's not the application I'm looking for here. What I'd simply like to do, and what Reaper apparently does not provide, is to say, in 4/4 time input a 16th note quintuplet that would (obviously) occupy the full value of a quarter note. Remember the old Vision sequencer program from Opcode (step record/sequence-wise very sophisticated) which offered a note input parameter box that among things gave you a 2-part numerical division/note value equation feature where you could create any type of "tuplet" you wanted. I still have my Mac Plus with Vision and it still works!! If you don't remember, here's how it worked: the first pulldown box in the feature functioned as the numerical division of the beat or beats (e.g. if you wanted to make a septuplet you chose or typed in the number 7); the second pull down box, which offered no keyboard "type in" option like the first box, was where you selected the note value that was to be divided (quarter note, eight note, half note, or even dotted notes). It was (is) compositionally so seamless. You could be tooling along inputting straight 16th notes in 4/4 time, and then if you felt you needed an eight note quintuplet figure, you simply went to that note input box and chose 5 in the time of a half note and Vision would calculate an eight note quintuplet subdivision value for you to apply notes to (and/or rests). I've spent a good amount time with the Reaper manual and the program trying to find a similar function and I haven't been able to. I really love Reaper, and it has proven a number of times in the past that it has functions that I'm not aware of immediately, but even if this functions exists, the fact that it's buried somewhere makes it at the very least very difficult to compose with for those of us utilizing odd number subdivisions of the beat."
+1000
and get the grid to work right in odd meter and you have a winner!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #54
faun2500

There is a lot of requests in here!

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #55
m24p

This is related to midi.

Setting min and max for any parameter for external midi control
When I try to use the Control Codes from my Roland a80 midi controller to move parameters, it's often not all that usable because of this issue.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #56
stumpbroke1

Quote:
Changing the work paradigm for MIDI from item-based to track-based should be a priority. This would mean that we would always see the whole track in the MIDI editor, and MIDI items would just be "clips", sections of the track that are copyable, etc.

Then, Cockos SHOULD allow developers registering their actions in other contexts than Main, so that we could have new MIDI Editor actions in the corresponding Actions list context. Workarounds are not nice.

We should be able to decrease the width of left-side piano roll graphic, to gain more space.

Load Scales dialog does not remember last visited folder. I don't want it to look in REAPER Resources/Data, I created my own folder, REAPER Resources/Scales, that I want it to look into.

The Scale button should change its width according to the scale name length.

MIDI Filter should be dockable to MIDI Editor (this is coming, according to schwa's words).
YES! definitely like track based midi over item based.....
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #57
Pac

Default MIDI Assign mode + MIDI Data on track templates

Hello,

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I especially like the snap offset FR.

Here's another one, rather relating to CC:

- Inspired by Ableton Live, wouldn't it be great to the same thing in Reaper, i.e. a switch for a midi assign mode, in which you can map any visible function to a midi device just by first clicking the function and then turn the knob/ move the fader on that device?
This would mean:
Click Midi Assign Mode Button > Click function button > Turn knob > Click Midi Assign Mode Button again...done.
Until now it's like:
Open the action list editor > search for function > Mark it > Click "Add" >
> Move fader/Turn knob > Click OK > Close Action List Editor.

And another one:

- It would be great to be able to save MIDI Data along with track templates. In electronic music, you nearly always have the same position for Kick, Snare and Open Hats. It's rather annoying to insert a track from template and then always having to: Insert midi item, Switch note visualization to triangles, paste a Bass on 1.1, 1.2 1.3 etc.

I apologize if these are old topics. I didn't read all FR's.
Pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 AM   #58
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac View Post
- It would be great to be able to save MIDI Data along with track templates.
save item with track template exists, you're right is is useful to have the ME set up and labelled for the particular plugin, I use it a lot
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #59
donchilcott

Quote:

Then, Cockos SHOULD allow developers registering their actions in other contexts than Main, so that we could have new MIDI Editor actions in the corresponding Actions list context. Workarounds are not nice.

We should be able to decrease the width of left-side piano roll graphic, to gain more space.

Load Scales dialog does not remember last visited folder. I don't want it to look in REAPER Resources/Data, I created my own folder, REAPER Resources/Scales, that I want it to look into.

The Scale button should change its width according to the scale name length.

MIDI Filter should be dockable to MIDI Editor (this is coming, according to schwa's words).
Please- Please -Please listen to these requests. I use midi a lot... I just want to be able to highlight sections of tracks, whole tracks, several tracks etc and be able to do simple edits, Quantize, Transpose,Volocity, etc. like I do in Sonar...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #60
Cresta

wow, wish everything stated in this thread will someday actually be implemented in Reaper
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #61
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresta View Post
wow, wish everything stated in this thread will someday actually be implemented in Reaper
I have a sneaky suspicion that Schwa is feverishly working in the background to eventually bring most of that stuff ED listed to fruition...

... OTOH, they might be taking more of a short term view like Audition's devs. I find it a bit refreshing, how they phrased this, especially the last sentence. That's a refreshingly honest public statement.
Quote:
MIDI composition support remains in our feature backlog and is considered for each release, but there are several reasons it doesn't typically bubble up higher in priority. Audition and Cool Edit always shined as audio editing tools, and this has always been the focus of the team with MIDI support sort of an afterthought, but never our core competency.

Last edited by Lawrence; 04-13-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #62
hamish

REAPER is what it is for more than just being the new audition or cool edit (I used both of these in the past). It's also what it is for being a brilliant plugin host. Without better MIDI logical editing (full conditional editing like even Cakewalk Express had) there is a quite a bit of VSTi capability going to waste.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #63
djjedidiah

I really hope the captains don't think quite like the audition guys. To paraphrase hamish, this is a lean mean VSTi host. I switched from Pro Tools because while you can certainly write songs in Pro Tools, it's performance is terrible. Reaper blows that out of the water. It just needs a slightly better midi workflow.
djjedidiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #64
Cresta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
I have a sneaky suspicion that Schwa is feverishly working in the background to eventually bring most of that stuff ED listed to fruition...

LOL!

well it would be so cool... I am just a caveman, you give me two clubs and I hit stuff (yep, I am a drummer), so no advanced MIDI skills nor anything even close to that. But I can understand the feeling of advanced MIDI users who love Reaper and would like to do most of things (or everything) right there.
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #65
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjedidiah View Post
I really hope the captains don't think quite like the audition guys. To paraphrase hamish, this is a lean mean VSTi host. I switched from Pro Tools because while you can certainly write songs in Pro Tools, it's performance is terrible. Reaper blows that out of the water. It just needs a slightly better midi workflow.
THANKS!! My point exactly. With better MIDI, REAPER could also blow at least two other productions softwares out of the water.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #66
Tom Drinkwater

It's a grid issue rather than a midi issue, but the two are closely related -

number one deal breaker issue for me with reaper is the complete chaos when handling odd time signatures and time signature changes.

time sigs and tempo changes need to be separated.

time signature changes should only be applicable on the first beat of a bar, tempo changes can be anywhere.

in a piece with multiple time sigs and a constant tempo I should be able to change the tempo by typing one number somewhere.

when timebase is set to beats, markers should stay on the beats they were put on when tempo or time sig is changed.

if a time signature change ever ends up anywhere other than the first beat of a bar regardless of what the user does that is a bug.

there's no point in even reporting the numerous buggy behaviours in handling time sigs and tempo changes until the basic conceptual framework is correct.

everything in midi needs to be tested in odd time signatures.

ideally odd time signatures should be definable with subdivisions, ie 3+2+2/8 as a more defined version of 7/8 to define strong grid lines, beat snapping behaviour, and beam grouping should a notation editor ever be added.

currently it is impossible to define a traditional 12/8 bar with 4 beats of 3 quavers each. you have to use 4/4 with triplets. that's not really suitable if the next bar is 7/8 with the same quaver/eighth note length.
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #67
XITE-1/4LIVE

Ankyu........
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #68
hopi

the odd grid divisions as describes in Vision sound like a great implemention of how to do that.

I've been lately again into the midi ed. working on custom actions to set grids... just cuz I hate dealing with lotta drop down menues.

Now it would not be super easy but when done it would be done.. to create custom 'set grid' actions from the actions that exist. I can't really say if all possiblre cases could be handled that way but at least some more could.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #69
hopi

OK now I think about a year back 'we' discussed something like this and like many threads it's there in 'somewhere land'... so:

This is about the filter manily or some additon to it...

Right now, you can only set it to filter for a given note value, like C3, or G4... so you only get to see all the C notes ONLY in one octave...

What I would dearly love to see, is a filter that would let you pick any note[s]in any octave[s] as what you see.

So you could set up to see, C2, C3, G3,D4,A5,G7...etc. and IF you could do that then you could also invert that selection to see whatever else is outside of that selection.

How would it look? Well ya got 12 notes and what, 9-10 octaves [or so]
so it could easily have a matrix of octaves stacked as columns from the bottom up with notes after each octave as a row.

Now if that existed, perhaps there could even be save-able presets for it... simple idea: all C maj notes in X octaves...

Seeing as how the midi named notes are really midi numbers, I don't see why this could not be done... Me and Xoenchz did something like it in the freebie, XZ-Midi Filter VST, but we just used a GUI keyboard... [and that would really be nice as a filter]

Think about how handy this could be...

OK... your thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #70
SpecialRich

I know its been said a million times, but just lending my support,

Please Please Please create the option for per track / simultaneous multiple MIDI track editing - it's killing my work-flow ability to sequence orchestral sections quickly and efficiently.

Currently this is my biggest / only gripe.
Other than that I'm starting to adore Reaper.
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #71
mikeroephonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialRich View Post

Please Please Please create the option for per track / simultaneous multiple MIDI track editing - it's killing my work-flow ability to sequence orchestral sections quickly and efficiently.

Oh, you must mean this:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2573
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #72
SpecialRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post

I do indeed! and voted a few weeks ago! Good work, vital stuff imho.
SpecialRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #73
krahosk

krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #74
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammer View Post

I had a short session with a student who told me she still uses a sequencer from the 1980's and I was interested to see it, as she creates great sequences.

I had a chance to visit her studio the other week and the software is Opcode Studio Vision. Is this the sequencer you mean?

The first thing I noticed was the ability to display sequences in 'block' (barwise) or 'phrase' view. I asked about conditional selection, specifically selecting notes on a particular subdivision of the bar, and of course that was possible.

It would be great if REAPER could mine some of this.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #75
run, megalodon

Would anyone else like to see an option to only display one instance of a loop from a looped item in the midi editor? This would visually simplify things for me a bit and help with zooming, especially since double clicking on the horizontal zoom bar zooms to the length the content that's open. That action is no use to me right now but I could use it all the time to zoom back out after an edit if it only showed one loop.

Last edited by run, megalodon; 05-22-2012 at 04:46 PM.
run, megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #76
mikeroephonics

I guess a sizable amount of people in this thread
have seen this other thread, but I might as well
mention it here anyway.

My list of MIDI Feature requests (over 15)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=103192

I've included mockup pictures to some of the FRs
to help illustrate the ideas.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #77
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by run, megalodon View Post
Would anyone else like to see an option to only display one instance of a loop from a looped item in the midi editor? This would visually simplify things for me a bit and help with zooming, especially since double clicking on the horizontal zoom bar zooms to the length the content that's open. That action is no use to me right now but I could use it all the time to zoom back out after an edit if it only showed one loop.
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I often choose 'view source beats' when I want to edit a loop, any use to you?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #78
jackdied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialRich View Post

+1000000

We have a Ferrari with no wheels...
jackdied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #79
chronocepter

yeah. I can load some reasynth in another channel to grip the ADSR.. but this is just another great "worksave" upgrade and "ohh! REAPER Is ThA BesT" from a noob.
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI control signal.png (43.0 KB, 1206 views)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #80
hamish

EXCELLENT!!!...

But it needs a drop-down for selecting velocity/CC #/Pitch