Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 10-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Is Linux a viable platform for REAPER?

I think it is. I tried out the Harrison mastering EQ on this.

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13930912
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

I remember using Reaper 2.06 in wine for ages, it was stable,
a pleasure to use, and had more capabilities
than I had hopes of ever learning.
All still true today, as I enjoy the enlightened stroll to V6.

More to the linux viability, if someone
only uses linux, no win/mac, I don't think having only
one linux is particularly viable. Eggs all in one basket
will make for a runny omelette at some point...

Last edited by 4duhwinnn; 10-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
Klangfarben

Not only is Linux a viable platform/OS for Reaper, I actually get better CPU performance than on Windows. The bigger issue is the lack of support by plugin developers. Once you start running windows plugins in Wine, it cancels out most of the gains.

If Reaper can ever manage a native windows VST bridge, I think people will be able to do some serious damage.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Not only is Linux a viable platform/OS for Reaper, I actually get better CPU performance than on Windows. The bigger issue is the lack of support by plugin developers. Once you start running windows plugins in Wine, it cancels out most of the gains.

If Reaper can ever manage a native windows VST bridge, I think people will be able to do some serious damage.
I see pretty equal performance between REAPER for Windows vs Linux. This is on a dual boot machine, so it's the exact same hardware in both cases.

As for plugins, I've retired all my Windows audio plugins and am using 100% native Linux audio VST plugins now. Mostly paid, but some free ones too.

VSTi instrument plugins is another story though, and in fact I am using a monstrous virtual guitar instrument I constructed using Kontakt with a clean electric guitar sample going into a Guitar Rig virtual Fender Twin. It's the guitar panned center through the Leslie. The real 12-String is panned hard left and mandolin panned hard right. Also the Vox Continental organ is Native Instruments B4 Organ with the Vox tonewheels set.

I'm having no problems at all working exactly like I did in Windows. The virtual instruments I use don't tax the system much, even though they are bridged Windows plugins, and with all native Linux VSTs for audio, it feels as tight as I was used to in Windows.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #5
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I'm having no problems at all working exactly like I did in Windows ....even though they are bridged Windows plugins,
Does that mean you did the Wine-bridging setup for Kontakt and Guitar Rig manually ?

As Klangfarben says, Reaper/linux providing this in a "native" (i.e. automatic, user friendly, transparent) way, this would be a great step ahead (but supposedly a huge task for the devs).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:27 AM   #6
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
(but supposedly a huge task for the devs).
The devs haven't said a single thing about this. It's only people such as myself saying "don't expect it to happen". You know why: then the devs would be perpetually responsible for making all Windows plugins work in Reaper for Linux, maintaining that compatibility through changes in plugin programming, changes in Reaper, and changes in operating systems (Linux distros mostly). That's an additional layer of potential complexity. Plus there are already third-party solutions for this which are free, which perform about as well as can be expected.

These are plugins from a different operating system. Does any DAW you know of bridge plugins from a different operating system? You'd be expecting Reaper to be the first to do this.

Also you figure if someone is willing to use Linux, maybe they should also be willing to do some of the work making their system be capable of doing something like this.

If the devs choose to do this, that's great. I just don't see it happening. As a programmer yourself, you should also understand this.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:57 AM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Does that mean you did the Wine-bridging setup for Kontakt and Guitar Rig manually ?
Yeah, I installed the Native Instruments stuff in WINE and then ran the converter in LinVST to bridge them. Running LinVST's converter is a one time no big deal process. Making Native Instruments hybrid Win/Mac ISO readable through the process was the bigger issue, as you have to mount the ISO using an unhide option or else WINE will only see the Mac part halfway through the install.

Quote:
As Klangfarben says, Reaper/linux providing this in a "native" (i.e. automatic, user friendly, transparent) way, this would be a great step ahead (but supposedly a huge task for the devs).

-Michael
Yeah, but like James said, that is not like the native 32 to 64 bit bridging that REAPER does provide in both Windows and Linux versions. If you are going to run Linux, you will be getting your hands dirty anyway, and making Windows VST plugins work in Linux is really not that hard. Running LinVST's converter is a simple matter of pointing it to where your Windows VSTs are and pressing GO.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
Lokasenna

Quote:
By "a huge task" we mean "emulating a large-enough subset of the Windows API that Windows .dlls can be used", which has already been done by Wine and made user-friendly by LinVST.

Cockos implementing that is about as practical as Cockos implementing native support for OMF and AAF when tools like AATranslator and Vordio are already out there with dedicated people working on them.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:42 AM   #9
bulevardi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Not only is Linux a viable platform/OS for Reaper,
I currently use Linux Mint for everything now, my audio recordings, photography and graphics editing, webdesign, paperwork administration and surfing the web...

Old 10-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
I remember using Reaper 2.06 in wine for ages, it was stable,
a pleasure to use, and had more capabilities
than I had hopes of ever learning.
All still true today, as I enjoy the enlightened stroll to V6.

More to the linux viability, if someone
only uses linux, no win/mac, I don't think having only
one linux is particularly viable. Eggs all in one basket
will make for a runny omelette at some point...
I never used REAPER for Windows in WINE. Only a month or two after I switched to Linux the native Linux version became available.

My machine is dual boot, and I can bring it up Windows 7 with no network to do stuff in REAPER, but for me using it in Windows is no better or worse than using it in Linux, and since I prefer Linux, I'm just doing everything there now, and Windows is only a fallback that I never use.