Old 05-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
jemtman
Human being with feelings

Default Searchable Take Markers

I love the idea of take markers, but my workflow doesn't really allow me to use them until they're searchable.

I make documentary podcasts, so I often have hours of raw tape that gets excerpted and turned into a much shorter final episode. I currently use markers to keyword all of my raw tape, so that I can quickly search for the audio I'm looking for and have it pop up in the region/marker manager. Honestly I love that ability. The major downside of it is that when I copy something out of the raw audio and into the actual episode, the markers get left behind (since those are tied to the time and not the item).

I was really excited about take markers, since they're tied to the audio and not the time. however, I was surprised to see that they aren't searchable, which defeats the purpose for me.

What I'm requesting is an option in the Region/Marker Manager to search take markers (and BWF markers too!). This could be implemented by adding a third checkbox in that window: "regions, markers, take markers"

Thanks!

*Attached picture shows me querying the region/marker manager for a keyword to find audio across a long interview.
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2020-05-28 153427.png (58.0 KB, 23 views)
jemtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #2
planetnine

I’ll +1 this, I’m surprised they weren’t added to the marker/region manager.

I think it’s early days with take markers. They are a great addition, but I don't think the implementation was exactly finished -there doesn’t even seem to be a way of grabbing and moving them once created. The good news is they are in the API for script access, so maybe someone could write a project marker/take marker/cue marker search script to help in the meantime.

>
Old 05-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
jemtman

TY. Actually you can move them, you just have to click and drag on the little diamond shaped handle that looks stretch marker.

And thanks for the tip off on the API access. I haven't yet much reascript, but I'm going to take a look at it
Old 05-31-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemtman View Post
TY. Actually you can move them, you just have to click and drag on the little diamond shaped handle that looks stretch marker.

Didn’t realise that, I’ll go and look again. They’re not in the mouse modifiers though, are they? I’d prefer a modifier to move them, unless they can be added to “Lock”.

>
Old 06-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
jemtman

Yeah, I don't think there are mouse modifier options. Would be nice for sure.

Indeed, I'm hoping we get some more features for take markers in an upcoming release.

Podcasting in the big media institutions is still ruled by PT, but I think a good take marker management would make a really good case for more to ditch it, since it could be such a useful tool for keeping track of tape.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:07 AM   #6
mpl

I can built-in search for take markers as an option in my RegionManager if you want. Or easier - say, type input window, then search by name match for selected items takes.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
JimmyDeLancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemtman View Post
What I'm requesting is an option in the Region/Marker Manager to search take markers (and BWF markers too!). This could be implemented by adding a third checkbox in that window: "regions, markers, take markers"
+10^∞ for this, would help workflow enormously. An option to export (or copy the text) as is the case with the current regions/markers would also be very useful.

Likewise, that would be incredibly helpful mpl

Last edited by JimmyDeLancia; 06-10-2020 at 05:43 PM.
JimmyDeLancia is offline   Reply With Quote