Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 03-06-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
Colox
Human being with feelings

Default "Save project as template" ought to be moved (Gaah!)

GAAAH! I'm mad now.

I'm editing my templates, I got somewhat advanced setups going. But I keep deleting all my previous work accidentally.

I'm on Windows, and in the Reaper top menu 'File > Project Templates', you can load all previously saved templates to become the currently active project in Reaper.

But the top alternative in the 'File > Project Templates' submenu, is the element "Save project as template". If you choose that, and then browse to the template you want to 'load', and hit the save button, all your work with the template you selected is gone. You just overwrote that whole template with your current default (empty) project open in Reaper at that time. All while your intention was to open the template, not overwrite it.

This mistake is just too easy to make, in my opinion. Working templates is mentally straining repetitive mind-numbing work, for hours or days in my case, and in the process and speed of work, I've just managed to overwrite the template I was working on for the 5th time in 4 days work. And two-three dozen times in the last 4-5 days, I have been very close to making this mistake, but stopping myself in the absolute last second from selecting "Save" when I meant "Open".

Yes I know, if I put down alot of work, which is saved as a single file, I should keep a careful backup of that file. And I have started to do that now.

But this mistake is just too easy to make. I feel I wanted to voice the opinion that the "Save project as template" option should be moved to a different position, than being the top selection of a list which otherwise contains only "Load" options. Loading and saving templates should be available with more separation between them, and preferably with a similar procedure to load and save.

Anyone who agrees or thinks this sounds reasonable, welcome to chime in.
Anybody who disagrees ... pfff, I don't wanna hear from you right now.

PS. GAAAAAH .DS

Last edited by Colox; 03-06-2020 at 02:52 AM.
Colox is offline   Reply With Quote