Old 03-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Ddrumz
Human being with feelings

Default Recording Drums using MTPowerdrummer

Hey all,

I'm having an issue recording from my Alesis kit, while using MTPowerdrummer as a VSTi. My midi config is working and I am able to record to a track. The issue I am running into is when I strike the hi-hat. The hi-hat does not record any sound but I can hear it through my headset. I am able to record other notes, (tom, crash, snare, kick) but for some reason, the hi-hat doesn't seem to register. Has anyone else run into this issue?
Ddrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Fergler

Probably expecting a different MIDI note than your e kit is sending.

Put an instance of ReaControlMIDI on the track before MTPowerDrumkit to see what the hi-hat is sending, if at all. (Show Log)

You can change the expected note in the settings window of MTPowerDrumkit. But by the looks of it, you may also have to change settings on your electric kit. Some of them have an option to send either different MIDI notes for hihat openness or just one MIDI note with a open/closed CC (more common, more professional).

MTPowerDrumkit doesn't appear (on the surface, I haven't tested) to support the CC method.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:28 AM   #3
Ricky Reject

Pretty much what Fergler already said...either you change in MTPowerDrumkit what midi note it's expecting, or you change the output midi note from your Alesis-kit to match.

I have a Roland TD-11 and I can get all hits/drums to register, but it doesnt seem that MTPowerDrumkit will acccept hi-hat pedal pressure. It just seems to register the pedal as 'pressed' and then you can assign "open", "semi-open" and "closed" hihat...no nuassence in between. Depending on your style of music, this may or may not be an issue...If you do get it to work, let me know though
Ricky Reject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
Ddrumz

I tried adjusting volume for each output on the drum module, but had the same problem with the hi-hat. What's interesting is I notice that the signals sent from the hi-hat are registering, but there's nothing recording. I tried to adjust the levels in MTPowerdrummer and got the same results. Is there something specific I should be looking for? Is there a different VST that you like to use?
Ddrumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
Ricky Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrumz View Post
I tried adjusting volume for each output on the drum module, but had the same problem with the hi-hat. What's interesting is I notice that the signals sent from the hi-hat are registering, but there's nothing recording. I tried to adjust the levels in MTPowerdrummer and got the same results. Is there something specific I should be looking for? Is there a different VST that you like to use?
Aye, its probably just registering in Reaper, right? not in the VST itself, I take it?

It has good sound, but like I said, I couldnt get the pedal ro register either other than sending 'open' and 'closed' hihat since my TD-11 sends those on their own respective notes. Could never get the pedal presure to be recognized in MTPowerdrummer.

You might have a look at Sennheiser Drummic'A. A pretty elaborate free VST drumkit using NI Kontakt. It doesnt have the greatest sound out of the box, but with some tweaking it can sound really nice - and it does have *alot* of tweaking abilities compared to MTPowerdrummer.

You can find it here:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/drummica

And here's the manual with midi maps as well:
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/drummica

I got the hi-hat working a wee bit better (more expressive) with the Sennheiser VST, but again: it does require a bit more work to get it where you want it to be. Featurewise it offers a whole lot more...and did I mention it's free? Oh and one more thing: I had to go through the registration process in german. Maybe I clicked the wrong link cause the above one seems to be in English...
Ricky Reject is offline   Reply With Quote