Old 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
AdamWathan
Human being with feelings

Default Option to display inserts in TCP

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2562

Allow the option to display inserts and sends in TCP the same way they are available in the mix window

Currently, the mix window allows you to easily view all of your FX on each track and click them to immediately float them, bypassing the need for the FX Chain window. Clicking an empty slot brings up the FX browser to quickly add a new effect. Right clicking brings up a context menu with several options, including the ability to add FX completely bypassing the FX chain/browser window completely.

You can also view your sends in much the same manner, where the slots also have their own context menu.

This feature request is a request to bring the same functionality to the TCP, as 2 optional columns that would be nested between the current TCP and the arrange window.

How this looks in other DAWs:

Very rough mockup of how this could look in REAPER (imagine another column for sends as well, togglable of course):

This would function exactly the same way as the slots do in the mix window, and the columns could easily be toggled on or off in the View menu for example, with two options called "Show FX inserts in TCP" and "Show track sends in TCP".

These slots would be visible in all track heights, with more slots being available as the track height is stretched.

This feature would greatly enhance the workflow of those of us who work more or less exclusively in the arrange view. All of the features available in the mix window are already available in the arrange view except the FX slots and send slots, so completing the available functionality in the arrange view gives us complete control over REAPER from a mixing and editing standpoint all from one window.

Vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2562

Last edited by AdamWathan; 05-30-2010 at 10:25 AM.
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
nofish

+1

similar FR:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=55382
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
airon

It is kinda obvious. So far the ideas surrounding inserts on the TCP have focused on tracks with enough height have these appear, which is what I made this mockup for:
The idea to have it appear to the right of the TCP seems like a logical progression, though it seems a little off to me to be honest. Looks like the only way to do it at that track height though.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Lawrence

An "Inspector" (another FR) would also take care of that wouldn't it?
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
An "Inspector" (another FR) would also take care of that wouldn't it?

also my thoughts...
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
AdamWathan

Not really, I want to have a visual overview of the bulk of my inserts all at once. An inspector would only give me the plugins listed for the selected track, so it's just as many clicks as opening the FX chain window... If I'm being honest, I just miss this from Pro Tools...

Old 04-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Lawrence

Ah... yes.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
It is kinda obvious. So far the ideas surrounding inserts on the TCP have focused on tracks with enough height have these appear, which is what I made this mockup for:
The idea to have it appear to the right of the TCP seems like a logical progression, though it seems a little off to me to be honest. Looks like the only way to do it at that track height though.
I like the idea, although for me, all it needs is the FX list like in mixer controls to appear depending on track height. this would do me just fine. it appearing on the right i think would take up real estate i wouldn't want to giveup, although maybe i'd have to try it to really know. if you could have the option to show always, or show depending on track height or never show that might be best of all worlds.

it's just the way FX work in mixer view is so awesome, it's kind of a downer you can't get same great functionality in tracks view.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
lawrs

I like Adam's mock up very much. It's a subtle addition to the current Reaper look. This is gonna bring Reaper up so many levels.
lawrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
AdamWathan

Original post has been updated and an FR has been started in the tracker, vote here: http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=2562
Old 05-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Mr. Data

What about to have a button to toggle between the track elements and the inserts, hence the track view keeps its size? (Would be one click more 'though.)

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
Philbo King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I like the idea, although for me, all it needs is the FX list like in mixer controls to appear depending on track height. this would do me just fine. it appearing on the right i think would take up real estate i wouldn't want to giveup, although maybe i'd have to try it to really know. if you could have the option to show always, or show depending on track height or never show that might be best of all worlds.

it's just the way FX work in mixer view is so awesome, it's kind of a downer you can't get same great functionality in tracks view.
I like this layout the best; it makes good use of screen area and is easily readable.
Post #3 by Airon
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...24&postcount=3
Old 07-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
Delucci

+1 for me
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
_jon

+1 from me
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote