Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 08-25-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default CRado : a 'RADO' like and Reaper 5 compliant theme...

Following the discussion in this thread, I put myself at work and here is the result : a rather personal, I admit, 'Rado' looking theme adapted to Reaper 5. It took me more time than I expected, as I actually had to rewrite completely the rtconfig.txt file and edit several graphic files to make the whole theme behave as I wanted.

So, what have be changed in it from the original RADO V4 theme ?
-The added Reaper 5 controls : mcp/tcp/global 'preview' mode, VCA/Group layouts, item envelope icon, master.tcp height resizing...
-The Reaper 5 tinting scheme on tcp/mcp panels. I made choices that could be debated : I preserved more or less the original tinting of the tcp panels by adding a little transparency on them, this, while setting the mcp strips as fully opaque excepting the area under their label.
- The tcp and mcp management, this to add, first, the tcp/mcp.fxin and mcp.recinput controls that were missing, and second, to get rid of the endless stretch of some tcp panel controls.
- The transport bar : both the 'default' and 'compact' layouts have now their options fully functional.
- Several changes in the layouts : mainly, I got rid of the ones which were rather useless for me (legacy 'mini', among others...). Beside this, I reduced the default width of the mcp strips while creating added 'large' and 'narrow' layouts.
- Both the envcp and mcp.master strips have been reshaped.
- Vertical meters layouts for both the master and folder layouts in the tcp have been added and set as 'default', the existing horizontal ones being preserved as additional layouts.
- Several additional changes and fixes done here and there : 'table' and 'gen' controls, items appearance, colors...

Concerning the joined toolbars, they are actually exactly the same as the original ones. I'm not fond of them, but well : let's say that they will do the job for the moment... To use them, the bundled .ReaperMenu files should be put in the \MenuSets subfolder of your Reaper installation, then loaded with the Customize menus/toolbars window.

Let me know about any remaning bugs or things that would need a change...

The link : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2185/CRado.zip

CRado v 1.50 (12th december 2018) :

Last edited by cubic13; 12-12-2018 at 03:35 AM. Reason: v 1.50 update...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:50 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Download link?
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Download link?
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2185/CRado.zip
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
cubic13

Sorry, ED : I forgot the essential at first. So, I edited my first post accordingly. The link is actually the one mentioned by vitalker...
Old 08-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
Johnny Blade

Nice! Thank you very much!
Johnny Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Softsynth

Like the update, cheers.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
cubic13

Thanks !

Stay tuned, as a first update will quickly follow : there are two bugs concerning the tcp.fxparm control behavior that need a fix. I'll also add in it more separators with the same width as the other layouts for the mixer.

Last edited by cubic13; 08-25-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
vanhaze

Woohaa, another great looking Theme from your hand !
Thank you very much for the effort cubic13.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
JayJSE2

Nice! I'd forgotten how cool RADO V4 looked.

Does anyone think they could create 2x upscaled (an in more detailed, not just resized) versions of the assets for this theme? A HiDPI version of this would look AMAZING!
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
vanhaze

Yes please !

(Macbook retina user).
More hdpi themes plz !
Old 08-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #11
ivansc

Thanks for yet another cool toy!
Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 AM   #12
Luster

Thanks for the efforts, looks very good!

Wow, so many layouts - it's a pity that we aren't able to nest them (e.g. colored fader + alt panning knobs) with Walter.

Some points/critic:

MCP-Layout Alt Fader 2 and the black Fader are very similar.

MCP-Layout Alt Fader 3 looks like perspectively broken (like you look in an angle on the "3D" vs. the rest).
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:01 AM   #13
cubic13

Thanks to you all again...

@Luster
We actually can nest layouts in Walter. What we can't do is to nest folders over a second degree, which means that if we specify this :

Layout "TestXY" "folderX\folderY"

... the folderY will be found by Reaper. But if we state this :

Layout "TestXYZ" "folderX\folderY\FolderZ"

... the last folderZ won't be found, even if it's present in the right place. This is one of the most irritating theming limitation, as to go around it, you have to endlessly multiply the folders with redundant contents. This, while keeping an eye on the 2 Mb limit allowed for an upload in the stash...

- Beside this, indeed, the 'Alt fader #2' and the 'Fader - Black' are close to be similar : the only thing that allows a distinction is the line color that cross the middle of the thumb. I have checked on the original theme and it's the same thing... Guess that I'll have to find something like another thumb or remove the 'Alt Fader #2' layout, this one being rather useless as it is, I admit...

- Concerning the 'Alt Fader #3', I guess that you are talking about the fader thumb. Actually, it's the same as the original one : I just adjusted a little the shadow underneath, as for all the other thumbs available in the theme. It has a rather strange shape, for sure, but I kinda like it this way.

Last edited by cubic13; 08-26-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #14
Luster

I know, you can nest the graphic files but not make combinations of layouts for the user. Like combining different versions of panning styles with different fader caps dynamic (without prescribing everything in Walter beforehand).

Overall I find it cool, that you made your layouts smaller (MCP) so more use of screen real estate.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
We actually can nest layouts in Walter. What we can't do is to nest folders over a second degree, which means that if we specify this :

Layout "TestXY" "folderX\folderY"

... the folderY will be found by Reaper. But if we state this :

Layout "TestXYZ" "folderX\folderY\FolderZ"

... the last folderZ won't be found, even if it's present in the right place. This is one of the most irritating theming limitation, as to go around it, you have to endlessly multiply the folders with redundant contents. This, while keeping an eye on the 2 Mb limit allowed for an upload in the stash...
It can be done, but there are 2 caveats:
1: loading and reloading the theme takes noticeably longer
2: Theme cannot be used in the single file .ReaperThemeZIP format.
it has to be used in the separate theme elements style used when developing a theme (file + image folder).

#1 can be annoying to some
#2 can difficult to explain to some users how to install the theme.

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 08-26-2018 at 03:49 PM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #16
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
It can be done, but there are 2 caveats:
1: loading and reloading the theme takes noticeably longer
2: Theme cannot be used in the single file .ReaperThemeZIP format.
it has to be used in the separate theme elements style used when developing a theme (file + image folder).

#1 can be annoying to some
#2 can difficult to explain to some users how to install the theme.
Hi, Lucas

I remember having read something about this long ago, but quickly forgot it as I wasn't in a situation to test the thing. For me the main problem remains your caveat #2, though. It is indeed difficult for some who just want to quickly test a theme without bothering about added procedures. I know what I am talking about with my CubicPack...

Thanks for clarifying this.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #17
cubic13

Default v 1.10 is in the stash...

A first update which brings :

- Two fixes concerning the tcp.fxparm control behavior.
- An optimized behavior of the tcp panels (especially the master.tcp one) when they are horizontally narrowed.
- After Luster comment (post #12), a change of the fader thumb used for the "Alt Fader #2" layout : the new one has actually been taken from the Reaborn 2 theme and more or less adapted to this one.
- The addition of three separator layouts for the mixer ("Default", "Large" and "Narrow"), the existing one having been kept and renamed as "Separator thin".
- Few more little graphic tweaks and fixes done here and there.

Let me know if there are things that could still be changed or fixed...
Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
Luster

One critical point: The text in the name label in the TCP looses too much contrast with bright track colours. Not so with the original.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #19
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luster View Post
One critical point: The text in the name label in the TCP looses too much contrast with bright track colours. Not so with the original.
This is a thing that I changed almost immediately when starting to work on this theme : for me, the tcp labels were too bright, so I dimmed them to get something less flashy... As I think remembering that you are theming, you can solve this on your end, at least partially. For this, you have to change this statement (line #51) in the rtconfig.txt file :

set tcp.label.color [210 210 210]

to this :

set tcp.label.color [255 255 255]

... which was the original setting.

Hope this will help...
Old 08-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #20
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
For me the main problem remains your caveat #2..
For me as well.
It's unfortunate that it causes issues, since it would help eliminate many redundant image files and help keep the theme size small.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #21
hopi

NICE work Cubic [as you always do]... greatly appreciate the various sized separators...very good thinking

one 'maybe' wish is that the separators could be totally colored just as the track panels can be...

it's not at all a deal breaker, but my thinking on it is that when colored, the separator panels can provide visual organization... like all the vocals can be after a blue [or whatever] separator, all the brass after a yellow one, etc., etc.

I love your work!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
... greatly appreciate the various sized separators...
Actually, I knew that this would be something that you (and others...) would need when using the mixer as an 'inspector'. From which their add in my first update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
one 'maybe' wish is that the separators could be totally colored just as the track panels can be...
I guess that you are talking about the tcp separators. This is a mistake (or rather an omission) from me : I just kept what was existing without thinking much more about it and, indeed, they are almost unusable as they are. I am preparing a second update and this will be fixed in it. Actually, and as a quick fix, you can solve the problem on your end, doing this :

- Unzip the theme file.
- In the different folders there is one labelled as 'Separator' which contains four files : rename both the tcp_bg.png/tcp_bgsel.png files to something not findable by Reaper, i.e. by inserting an underscore in front of their name.
- Rezip the whole thing.

Problem solved, normally : at least, it works, here. And while we are at it, I was wondering if I should bring back the track label in the tcp separator, as it's the case in the mixer. Let me know what you think about this.

And thanks again for your everlasting support...
Old 09-02-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
hopi

ah.... so even YOU make mistakes! just kidding of course

as to the names in the separators... I had that problem in my CIRCUS theme and it went like this:

I did not want ANYTHING to show in the separators...
no track number, no labels, names, etc. I wanted just a dark colored panel but also wanted to be able to colorize it if desired. Now mostly I set mine to the same color as the TCP empty color, but now and then I want to color them for organization of the tracks that follow.

However I also wanted to be able to select all the separators so I could run an action on them... the reason is this:
Imagine I switch from the track inspector layout of the MCP to a diff screen set where the MCP is floating and showing on my second monitor... OK so in that case I'd like all the separators in the MCP to change from the normal wide size to the narrow size... right? So I needed a way to do that via an action that would select all MCP tracks with a given character in their name. If I recall correctly I used the * character... and used that in a track template for all the MCP separators. Then I could run an action on the MCP tracks that would select all the separators and set the width to either size A or B... A would be normal wide and B would be narrow.

Unforntunately... I don't remember exactly how I went about doing this...
I remember it did involve making the name label for the separators and the text used for it invisible.... Sorry but it was sooooo long ago
Old 09-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #24
cubic13

Hi again, hopi

Makes sense to me, but I'm not able to help you retrieving how you did all this : from what I see in the actions list, there is nothing that allows to select tracks with a given character, beside using the track manager. Actually, I don't see how you've been able to manage the whole thing without a script...

So, I'm going to let the separators as they are presently, with the fix mentioned in my previous post and the label for separator tracks hidden in the tcp.

Let me know if something related to this (or other things) could be changed...
Old 09-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #25
hopi

sure and it's fine as it is.... lovely work

I think maybe the way to select all tracks with a given name is via the console or whatever it's called... but it's not terribly important

on the other hand, I'd bet Lokasenna could whip up a lua to do that in about three shakes of a lamb's tail...

maybe I'll ask for it
Old 09-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #26
cubic13

OK. Let me know if you have found a solution, as I'm curious about how to manage all this.

Cheers !
Old 09-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #27
hopi

OK... so here we go, ...and thanks to Lokasenna, it is now way easier:

You do have to get his new lua script:

Script: Lokasenna_Select tracks by name.lua .... it is in his reapack
when you first run it you get a gui that lets you set some parameters and the name, ..AND then, as with many of his lua's, you can save a new 'preset' action by your name for that set of parameters.

So here is what I do:

1-I make a track... just a normal track.
2-I give it a name... I use 50 spacebar hits and the * character.
[the reason for the 50 spacebars is to hide the * later]
3-change the layout for TCP and MCP to the wide separator layout.
4-save that as a Track Template and in the future use that load a separator.
5-go to the screensets\layouts window in make at least two custom layouts:
A- uses the wide separator layout
B- uses the narrow separator layout
6-run the lokasenna action and set it to:
Match = More than one track and Only top-level tracks
enter the name with the 50 spacebar hits and the * character
Then Export the preset to a name of your choice, like MCP Separators

NOW... make two custom actions like so:
MCP Separators WIDE
and
MCP Separtors NARROW

They both use the lua you saved to select tracks by name [MCP Separtors] followed by one of the custom layout actions... just use the wide or narrow layout as desired.

OK... so now I already have two main screen sets for F7 and F8 keys
F7 is the TCP with MCP as track inspector at the left of the panels
F8 is the MCP floating in its own window on my other monitor [but it could be however you want the MCP to show not as a track inspector]

so when in F7 I want the MCP separators wide... and in F8 I want them narrow...

I just do it the custom actions as stated above... but you could go one more step and make a custom action that used the F7 action followed by the MCP wide separators and action... and another that used the F8 followed by the MCP Narrow separator actions... right?

I know it sounds complex but is really is not... nothing like WALTER

PS: Now for fairness, I actually do combine all the above into two single custom actions with key commands.
they save the current track selection, then make the desired changes to the separators for whichever layout I want to see and then restore the
the saved track selection. So with two key commands I get either the TCP with MCP as track inspector with wide separators... or MCP floating with narrow separators.

Last edited by hopi; 09-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #28
cubic13

Ouch ! Not that easy either... Will look at all this when I have the time. Just hope that the separators, as they are, will fit. Let me know if there is a problem...
Old 09-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
hopi

I know it sounds like a lot, but it is really is about 3-5 minutes work

I have outside work ATM but will see about putting together a PDF with pictures that makes it more clear and hopefully easy...

It really is rather nice to be able to hit one of two hot keys and get the view with the separators you want....
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #30
cubic13

Default v 1.20 is in the stash...

Hi again, hopi, and sorry for the late answer. To be honest, I never use separators. But yes, as I'm curious about the whole thing, I would welcome a PDF concerning it, if you have the time.

Beside this, a second update, which brings :
- a fix for the issue reported by hopi (post #21), concerning the tcp separator tint. I let the previous separator as an added 'Separator black' layout.
- a correction concerning the tcp/mcp.fxparm controls : the indicator was a little off-center. I also change their knobs for something smoother (I think...).
- an added optimization in the tcp management, especially for the Minimum/Freeze layouts which now behave more or less like the default ones.
- the addition of horizontal meters for all the tcp layouts, beside the VCA/Group and separator ones.
- the addition of a 'Legacy: VCA/Group' layout in the mixer.
- several little corrections in the mixer for different layouts and also for the folder control.
- few changes concerning some buttons appearance (which might not be welcomed by some previous RADO users...), this with added corrections in the colors used.

Think I'm almost done with this one. Let me know if something is still misbehaving...

Last edited by cubic13; 09-08-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #31
vanhaze

Highly appreciated cubic13, looking nice on my macbook retina :0)
Old 09-08-2018, 11:02 PM   #32
cubic13

Thanks, vanhaze, as always. And glad to see that it's Retina compatible...
Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #33
hopi

got the new version... nice and thanks as always

as I'd bet you know, I have a personal preference for how selected tracks look... so they are not just a shade lighter or darker, but also have a 1 pixel border of some color [orange or red or even white or even pink!] around the panels when selected.

It's an important thing to me, especially when we can color the full panels...
... when we are using various color shades it become easy to be fooled as to what is selected or what is not selected... but with that border, it makes it really clear what is selected.

Anyway... just thought I'd mention it

Overall the theme is looking very nice... clear and clean, lean and mean
Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #34
hopi

also... there is something strange going on but don't know if it is this theme's fault or reaper's fault.

It shows up with the default layout... in otherwords whatever layout is designated as the default.

If I set the layout for a track TCP and MCP to something like a separator, and then later want to change it to the "default"... it seems to not go back to that layout.

If instead of 'default' I choose something like the silver slider, then it does go back to the expected layout.

This can best be seen if you got to the screensets\layout window, and put some of the layouts in the 1 through 20 actions and then try to run those actions from the Actions List.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #35
cubic13

About the highlighted borders of selected tracks, well, I'll see what I can do. I'll probably add in the stash the necessary graphic files bundled in a zip file with instructions to set them as needed. Honestly, I don't want to put this as an added update, as this wasn't initially in the RADO theme.

Now, the second thing is more problematic... Here, each time I select a 'separator' layout, whether in tcp or mcp, I am able to retrieve the default layout as needed. Then, to go further, I have set the following, using the 'Screensets/Layouts' window :

Action #5 --> Mixer panel: 09] Separator
Action #6 --> Mixer panel:
Action #7 --> Selected mixer panel: 09] Separator
Action #8 --> Selected mixer panel:
Action #9 --> Track panel: 09] Separator
Action #10 --> Track panel:
Action #11 --> Selected track panel: 09] Separator
Action #12 --> Selected track panel:

The results are the same : I am able to run, i.e., the 'Action #5' for a separator, the 'Action #6' to retrieve the default layout.

So, everything seems to work more or less as expected, with an exception, though : what is happening is that, when we try to run an Apply custom layout action, the choosed one will be applied ONLY on strips which were set as 'default', this, for both 'mixer panel' and 'track panel'. It works as expected, though, when you use 'Selected track/mixer panel'.

To be sure, I have test this further, this time with the Reaper default theme, using these :

Action #5 --> Mixer panel: ca- Large
Action #6 --> Mixer panel:
Action #7 --> Selected mixer panel: ca- Large
Action #8 --> Selected mixer panel:
Action #9 --> Track panel: ba - small
Action #10 --> Track panel:
Action #11 --> Selected track panel: ba - small
Action #12 --> Selected track panel:

I get exactly the same results. Overall, the 'Screensets/Layouts' window doesn't take account of the theme used : each time we change the theme, we have to set again the actions for the theme lastly choosed. And worse, we are not even able to save/Load a set of actions for a given theme : it's a clumsy implementation that really needs an overhaul and, in the meantime (I don't hold my breath...), I avoid using it in all cases. Sorry for this...
Old 09-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
hopi

yeah Cubic I get much the same results as you do.... and at this point I'm pretty sure the real problem is with reaper and it's layouts page...

I've posted over in the general discussion about it... I agree the implementation is rather clunky....

big complaint: once you have specified something in one of the actions, and if you want to just clear that back to some blankness as it was before you started... I find no way to do that.... kinda pissy IMO

and YES... there really should be some way to save the whole set of actions so you could load it for a given theme....
Old 09-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #37
hopi

https://stash.reaper.fm/34307/How%20...Separators.rar

OK as promised, here is a PDF that walks through the way I set up the automated separator changes between two different screensets...
Old 09-13-2018, 10:46 AM   #38
cubic13

Got it, hopi...

Don't have the time to look at it in more details, but it seems quite interesting. Will look at it more more thoroughly in the following days.

Thanks again !
Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #39
lalo

Very good work really!
In my opinion in the Track View, track names lack a little bit of contrast.
Maybe just a black font?
lalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #40
cubic13

Hi, lalo

I actually dimmed a little the color of the track names themselves : see post #19 for more details. Maybe you could try the solution in it.

Beside this, I have tested a black font : for a reason, it seems to fit well in the mixer but not in the tcp, IMO.