Old 11-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
pepe44
Human being with feelings

Default Windows 10 1909 Performance

Just finished updating windows and i have to say i feel a great performance on some Acustica audio plugins.
While playback running and a mix session with some AA plugin now they open very smoothly . Tested a few more plugins and seems that this update made a nice improvement on processing side. Anyone else?
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
EvilDragon

I actually have worse performance with Kontakt - not CPU-wise, but clicks are happening that weren't there in 1809 with some libraries (usually those that require high polyphony). There's some kernel shenanigans happening that don't seem to gel well with RME driver...

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant 1903. I'm still on 1903, but I doubt anything would change for me on 1909. Let's try, though...

Last edited by EvilDragon; 11-16-2019 at 04:29 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
chip mcdonald

Microsoft is creating a mess with the multiple releases. I made the same mistake as Ed, but I'm also on 1903...

... but my machine updated me a few weeks ago from.. 1809, or..

I don't know anymore. Life is too short - but there is so much noise surrounding

WHY YOU NEED THE NEW WINDOWS UPDATE! (...which one? From which one..?)

WHY YOU NEED TO TURN OFF UPDATES RIGHT NOW! (...because your machine will freeze (I did lose my start menu for a day a few weeks ago, ..but...)

Blah blah blah.

I'm sure MS is internally tracking all of the different versions, but it's going to make a mess for developers. But it would be great to be able to use the occasional Synthedit plugin without fear...
Old 11-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
karbomusic

Possibly this..

Quote:
Favored CPU Core Optimization

This version of Windows 10 will include optimizations to how instructions are processed by the CPU in order to increase the performance and reliability of the operating system and its applications.

When a CPU is manufactured, not all of the cores are created equal. Some of the cores may have slightly different voltage and power characteristics that could allow them to get a "boost" in performance. These cores are called "favored cores" as they can offer better performance then the other cores on the die.

With Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0, an operating system will use information stored in the CPU to identify which cores are the fastest and then push more of the CPU intensive tasks to those cores. According to Intel, this technology "delivers more than 15% better single-threaded performance".
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...0-version-1909
Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
pepe44

Thanks Karbon.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
sostenuto

I'm an outlier here with (3) Desktop PC(s) running Win10 Pro and on Insider Preview for years on all (3).
I am setup to exit on next formal Windows release.

Two recent Updates in last few days, and now on Build 19025 .... which is still 1903.
Not understanding why not on 1909 which should happened back on Build 18363. Saw some info re.certain hardware configs blocking 1909, but the (3) PC(s) are each a bit different so puzzling why none have Updated.

Maybe no big deal for now, but really hoping to exit Insider Preview and was expecting 1909 to do that.

Not applicable to your Thread @ pepe44 but posting to possibly get info.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
pepe44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostenuto View Post
I'm an outlier here with (3) Desktop PC(s) running Win10 Pro and on Insider Preview for years on all (3).
I am setup to exit on next formal Windows release.

Two recent Updates in last few days, and now on Build 19025 .... which is still 1903.
Not understanding why not on 1909 which should happened back on Build 18363. Saw some info re.certain hardware configs blocking 1909, but the (3) PC(s) are each a bit different so puzzling why none have Updated.

Maybe no big deal for now, but really hoping to exit Insider Preview and was expecting 1909 to do that.

Not applicable to your Thread @ pepe44 but posting to possibly get info.
no problem
Old 11-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I actually have worse performance with Kontakt - not CPU-wise, but clicks are happening that weren't there in 1809 with some libraries (usually those that require high polyphony). There's some kernel shenanigans happening that don't seem to gel well with RME driver...

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant 1903. I'm still on 1903, but I doubt anything would change for me on 1909. Let's try, though...
@ ED .... Been waiting soooo long to exit Insider Preview on all (3) PC(s), but not willing to do complete reinstall of massive library content. This seems first 'easy' opportunity, but 1909 has not been offered. I am on Fast Ring. Per my earlier Post #6 .... have had to Inder Updates in last week and now on Build 19025,
Do you have any info that may help ??

All (3) PC(s) are set to: 'Stop getting preview builds in Windows Insider Program'__ 'Turning this on will opt your device out of flighting when the next major releae of Windows 10 is installed.'
The Slider is 'On' for all (3) Desktop PC(s).

Expectations were strong for release by today .....

Last edited by sostenuto; 11-16-2019 at 04:34 PM.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Doc Brown

I just got a new laptop and last night spent a half hour trying to find "my computer" as I'm a cherry to windows 10. I fricken hate it! Part of my frustration is coming from windows this update came off as totally counterintuitive and foreign to me for some reason. The tile based gui is horrible if you ask me and stuff is hard to find. I only spent a half hour with it so I'm being a bit dramatic but why in the hell did they veer so far off the road with 10?

Hopefully I can find "my computer" when I try next time. If this continues I'll be done with 10 and will be going Linux and won't be looking back. I really got along with windows 7 for the most part and found it fairly intuitive but I realize progress is inevitable. Linux might become my OS Amish community.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #10
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Hopefully I can find "my computer" when I try next time.
My Computer is now call This PC.
Show desktop icons in Windows 10
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #11
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I just got a new laptop and last night spent a half hour trying to find "my computer" as I'm a cherry to windows 10. I fricken hate it! Part of my frustration is coming from windows this update came off as totally counterintuitive and foreign to me for some reason. The tile based gui is horrible if you ask me and stuff is hard to find. I only spent a half hour with it so I'm being a bit dramatic but why in the hell did they veer so far off the road with 10?
Happily, it is really easy to dump all those tiles. Just right click on them one at a time & unpin them. MS decided to do this stuff because they had foolishly assumed that we would all be on touchscreens, which od course all the Android and iPad users are. Just not many Windows users.
The quickest way to get used to it all is to start clicking either the left or the right mouse button on the left hand corner windows icon. One way shows you all the applications on your computer in alphabetical order, the other way brings up all the housekeeping stuff that you normally had to delve into your control panel to find. And yes there is still a file explorer and all the other oldie but goodies.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
SmajjL

The download tool is now also MediaCreationTool1909.exe now if a fresh install is a "might as well" thing for someone.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 11-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #13
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post

I noticed this as well with 1903! Especially with some Spitfire libraries but also from other companies. Really really annoying, since it doesn’t seem to be CPU related.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Not_Here

This all puts a knot in my stomach.
Have yet to do 1903 update, and I also think there is some sort of config thing holding up the update. This MS support is complete crap too.

I don't want my music machine to get buggered up but it looks like no choice in the matter regardless.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #15
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
My Computer is now call This PC.
Show desktop icons in Windows 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Happily, it is really easy to dump all those tiles. Just right click on them one at a time & unpin them. MS decided to do this stuff because they had foolishly assumed that we would all be on touchscreens, which od course all the Android and iPad users are. Just not many Windows users.
The quickest way to get used to it all is to start clicking either the left or the right mouse button on the left hand corner windows icon. One way shows you all the applications on your computer in alphabetical order, the other way brings up all the housekeeping stuff that you normally had to delve into your control panel to find. And yes there is still a file explorer and all the other oldie but goodies.
Thanks Edgemeal and Ivan. Whoever decided this was the direction w10 should go as far as looks goes should be fired. I am really interested in trying openshell as it sort of makes windows 10 feel like windows 7 from what I can tell. I will report my findings.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
pepe44

I think Microsoft is going good this days, well, better than Apple for sure...One day we´ll be using Linux mostly so...no worries
Old 11-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #17
ivansc

(grin Part 2) I initially tried a bunch of those "make it behave like win7 " fudges in Win 8, then got involved with the beta team from 8.1 on.
By the time I was testing Win10 I decided the only real decision to make was to go with Win Pro rather than Win home premium, although these days the differences are not nearly as crucial as they were back in the beginning.

My Win 10 Pro looks very much like my old Win7 setup, but I have to say that it runs faster & smoother and more reliably apart from the one snag I hit that I discovered dated back to my beta testing days!
The version I was using on my studio machine was reaching end of life & when I tried to update to the 1809 build it wouldnt let me "because my existing build was not able to update" adding an error code that nobody had a clue about!!!
So be extra grateful you never did any beta testing!