Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Default My Windows 10 experiences so far

Ever since I upgraded my laptop (a modest ASUS X401U, FTR) to Win 10 last year it's been nigh unusable. It spends all its time updating itself and rebooting when I'm not looking even if I have stuff open and just close the lid to put it to sleep. Next morning I'm logged out again and upon logging in Windows informs me that it has restarted after having installed updates. The hdd is grinding almost constantly, like it's... I dunno? Very busy doing SOMETHING. I have opted out of all things optional and disabled all the telemetry stuff with Spybot Anti-Beacon. Yet it keeps doing shit that I haven't greenlighted and it feels like this isn't my computer anymore, it's part of some kind of Microsoft botnet. I wasn't crazy about Win 8 but at least it worked on that particular machine.

Funnily... just for the sake of experimentation I upgraded my daughters Win 7 Home computer to Win 10 as well a few months ago and this is a completely different story. I have not noticed the intrusive updating/rebooting thing on that machine at all. Nor the constant grinding of hard drives. TBH her almost decade-old dual core Dell machine flies with Win 10 on it. It's really, really snappy and has worked problem free ever since the upgrade.

This makes me wonder if the ASUS lappy is simply a very poor hardware fit for Windows 10. Maybe the W10 ASUS drivers are shit or something like that? Even if the ASUS is a budget lappy, I honestly thought it would outperform a 2007 stationary machine with an OS that is allegedly resource frugal (though maybe not by a great margin).

My DAW still has Win 7 on it. It's tempting to give Win 10 a shot given how great it works on the kid's computer. But clearly there's no guarantee it will perform well at all.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Stews

Worries me when I read things like this, knowing we'll all be forced to update to W10 at some point.

I can't imagine the updating/rebooting thing having anything to do with the drivers. That's actually the main reason I haven't updated to W10; I hate automatic updates. I've never had them turned on in Windows 7 but in W10 you can't turn them off apparently.

I hate the idea that my work would be interrupted and I'd have to reboot my computer. Even the thought that I'd be recording a track in Reaper in a project with a lot of plugins pushing the CPU near its limits then a Windows update will kick in and cause a glitch in the recording.

You'd think there would be a way to schedule updated to only happen during a certain time window so they could be done while you're asleep for example.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
You'd think there would be a way to schedule updated to only happen during a certain time window so they could be done while you're asleep for example.
You can.

http://lifehacker.com/prevent-window...r-p-1723647582
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Hey, thanks
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Is it not the case that it will download and install the updates whenever it likes but only do a reboot when scheduled?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
GMDuss

FWIW, I have an ASUS tower and two Dell lappies, and Windows 10 is basically destroying all three of them. Constant updates, restarts, hard-drive grinding, "System and Compressed Memory" taking 40-60% of disc resources. Horrible, horrible, P.O.S. operating system, with zero support from Microcrap. Like you I've opted out of everything one possibly can. No difference. I am so sorry I "upgraded."

My studio runs on a heavily tweaked Windows 8.1 system. No issues.
GMDuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
I can't imagine the updating/rebooting thing having anything to do with the drivers.
Me neither really but clearly there must be some kind of hardware issue at play here, since this happens on one machine but not the other, with the exact same Win 10 version. Maybe the ASUS hdd controller drivers are buggy causing the constant updating etc to be more intrusive on the laptop? Like I said... I dunno.

But yeah, the whole idea about relenting control of your machine to the OS and the whims of the company behind it is worrying.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
prezbass

I just have to offer this, and I know I'm gonna clubbed over the head for it, but.......never stopped me before.

In my day job, I work at Microsoft. (We refer to it as "The Velvet Sweatshop") I'm a developer and Project Manager there, and have been around the company since about 1996.

Since I work there, I am around a lot of people who are pretty smart, and here's the deal: everyone at MSFT knows that upgrades are a terrible experience. You can bash MSFT all you want to, but the fact of the matter is that they just cannot possibly account for every driver and every conceivable combination of hardware/software.

So, when a new OS comes out, everyone I have ever worked with has an "FnR Party" - Flatten 'n' Reinstall. Ground up. And, depending on how much data you have, this can take awhile- and yes, we all reinstall all our software, too.

And, that's what I do. I am running Windows 10 x64 in my studio along with a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40, an M-Audio Profire 2626, a Behringer BCF2000 and a Frontier Design Tranzport along with Reaper x64 and a metric crapton of plugins, and it is solid as a rock. No issues at all. It takes me about a day to re-install when a new OS comes out, but the stability I get from it is totally worth it.

My advice: don't upgrade. Reinstall.
prezbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Yes, my suggestion would also be to format the laptop and install W10 from scratch. It's official recommendation from several people from MS I've talked to.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #10
cerendir

Good advice but I don't even remember that being an option for an OEM upgrade.

And I still don't understand why an upgrade would work fine on one machine but not the other.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
lolilol1975

Once I upgraded from Win7 to W10 and had no issue whatsoever.

But on my current comp, I upgraded from Win8.1 (installed from disk) to Win10 and the upgrade had several bugs, the most ridiculous one being my home directory has been renamed from nicolas to nicol_000, and no way to change that, so I have to live with it forever. This might have been due to the fact that my Win8.1 probably wasn't completely up to date. So before upgrading, make sure your Windows is completely up to date. This can involve actually triggering windows update several times in a row, until it says that there is no more update to make.

In both cases I had to manually deactivate all the crap that Microsoft activated by default on Win10 in order to get decent latencies, and change some settings so that my USB drive runs at full speed instead of crippled speed.

And yes, my PC updates all the time (thx for the tips to deactivate that too). I know an update happened as it fucks up the sound every single time.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolilol1975 View Post
the most ridiculous one being my home directory has been renamed from nicolas to nicol_000, and no way to change that, so I have to live with it forever.
Legally changed your name to that :P
Old 03-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #13
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
...It's tempting to give Win 10 a shot given how great it works on the kid's computer. But clearly there's no guarantee it will perform well at all.
Have you considered imaging your system drive and then do the upgrade to 10... if it doesn't perform as you expect after a month or so, you could always bring yourself back to w7.

For what its worth, I upgraded from w8.1 to w10 without a hitch on my nearly 9 year old PC... no fresh install but I did update all my drivers before I tried to run any apps.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
sickamorz
Banned

Ever since windows 95 there is a pattern on releases of windows versions, every other one is crap.

Windows 95 acceptable

Windows 98 crap

Windows XP acceptable

Windows Vista crap

Windows 7. Acceptable

Windows 8. Crap

Windows 8.1. Acceptable

Windows 10 Crap
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
MikComposer

I have win 10 on my lenovo laptop with i5-4120u and only 4 gigs of ram, but it performs fine, although I wander by how much better win 7 would perform.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #16
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikComposer View Post
I have win 10 on my lenovo laptop with i5-4120u and only 4 gigs of ram, but it performs fine, although I wander by how much better win 7 would perform.
It won't outperform W10.. The improvements at the core of the OS are significant
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
C-H

Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 when ti became available for my laptop and it's running better than ever.
It 'feels' faster/snappier <--- not very scientific.

Toshiba Portege Z935-P300.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:33 PM   #18
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
Ever since windows 95 there is a pattern on releases of windows versions, every other one is crap.

Windows 95 acceptable

Windows 98 crap

Windows XP acceptable

Windows Vista crap

Windows 7. Acceptable

Windows 8. Crap

Windows 8.1. Acceptable

Windows 10 Crap
And end of the list, as Microsoft claims that there will not be a next big version

( ---> Linux ?!?!? Seemingly the application providers don't listen )

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-11-2016 at 11:41 PM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #19
Gerry P

So where does this list originate? ABC News or the Enquirer?
Old 03-12-2016, 12:38 AM   #20
ivansc

The update routine actually recommends doing a full backup of your current installation. It also offers you the choice of doing an update or a clean install.
But of course we never actually notice these things in the heat of the moment.

Within my immediate family I had three laptops, one on win7 and 2 on win 8.1 all on Home Premium 64bit.
All three I did an update with no issues at all, apart from Mrs. decided she didnt have the time or the energy to learn a new OS and could I put her back on win7 please.
Daughter and I are quite happy with win10 on our laptops, even with the automatic updates.
Nothingf has broken so far and the actual updates seem to happen with little if any effect on performance apart from the "dont switch off your computer, we are installing some stuff" notices every now and then.

Studio machine I left on Win 8.1 for a fair old while, watching to see if there was any fallout in the early days, even though I had been running betas and release candidates on one of the laptops for some time.
That machine is on Win10 Pro and has all the popular switch-offs done.
I get almost no background activity at all & I get to decide when I get the updates and when I install them.
Mind you that one I did a full clean install and have never regretted it.

It has crossed my mind that in many cases, the issues people are getting on updates rather than clean reinstalls are very likely to have been caused by not doing the usual basic housekeeping (clearing out the crap, defragging drives, memory and registry) rather than any real shortcomings in Win10.

My experience is that every single computer I have updated to Win10 has run faster and smoother. I am now up to a dozen installs in 2 different languages and counting.

So to those of you experiencing problems, I would suggest doing a format and clean reinstall of everything.
Having never-ending disk activity is not normal. Says to me that windows is struggling to keep running because of problems it is trying to work around. Reinstall.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:30 AM   #21
C-H

Quote:

Windows 95 acceptable

Windows 98 crap

Windows XP acceptable

Windows Vista crap

Windows 7. Acceptable

Windows 8. Crap

Windows 8.1. Acceptable

Windows 10 Crap
Well, the list is missing Win2K & WinME. That'll disrupt your world order.

Win2K & XP was good (or acceptable as you say). WinME a total disaster.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:02 AM   #22
bobobo

To Topic (strange to post it here )

an udatecycle may occurr if the laptop-manufacturer
has applied an automatic driver-software (mads).
Manufacturers driver may not be in the compatibilitylist from microsoft (ms).
So ms will update an older driver. mads will cure this. ms will cure this ....
till the user goes to madhouse.
that happened to one of my laptops with an older video card. cured this
by taking hardware-updates out of the ms-updates.

Last edited by bobobo; 03-12-2016 at 04:09 AM.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #23
OPI

Running Windows 10 since the inception. Haven't had one issue, and seems to run smoother.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #24
Joaquins Void

My evaluation would be:

Win95: ok
Win95b: better
Win98: ok
Win98se: better
WinME: bad
Win2000: Actually Good
WinXP: Bad again
WinXP sp3: Getting there
Vista: Bad again
Win 7:Actually Good
Win 8: Jesus MS, dafuq you smokin?
Win 8.1: Sobering up slightly, but still out there.
Win 10: Back on the pipe.
Joaquins Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #25
EvilDragon

XP was really great, even non-SP. XP SP3 is probably Microsoft's best OS ever, after W7.
Old 03-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #26
Evan

Quote:

Windows 95 acceptable

Windows 98 crap

Windows XP acceptable

Windows Vista crap

You forgot Windows 98 SE (acceptable) and Win Me (crap).
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #27
lolilol1975

Quote:

Windows 95 acceptable

Windows 98 crap

Windows XP acceptable

Windows Vista crap

Windows 7. Acceptable

Windows 8. Crap

Windows 8.1. Acceptable

Windows 10 Crap
Yeah, I also predicted W10 would be crap because I noticed as well the even versions were crap.
With W10, it's only half true, as when it's correctly configured, W10 is okay (without being any better than W7).
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #28
Jae.Thomas

Quote:

Windows 95 acceptable

Windows 98 crap

Windows XP acceptable

Windows Vista crap

Windows 7. Acceptable

Windows 8. Crap

Windows 8.1. Acceptable

Windows 10 Crap
you forgot ME and include 8.1?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 AM   #29
planetnine

I'm not an expert on the ins and outs of OS', I've machines still on Win98SE, XP and Win7-Pro because I was told they were good systems (and they do their job well, I won't mess with them).

I can't get a straight answer out of anybody here, will Win10-Pro exclude me from the unasked-for updates and the check-home-about-everything behaviour? I'm building a new Workstation soon, and I will not have an OS on it that reports anything to the manufacturer -think client confidentiality.

I absolutely must have control over system and driver/software updates -the kind I can research first and uninstall if they cause issues -I don't want to take risks with arbitrary updates I didn't ask for breaking something while I'm not looking. Nothing I have read about Win10 gives me any confidence whatsoever, and most IT people I manage to speak to say "not on commercial machines" they won't support it.

Can anybody tell me with any confidence that Win10Pro will do what I want? Does anybody actually know what they're talking about?

>
Old 03-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #30
Jae.Thomas

who is forcing anyone to change?

You don't have to do win10.

I did it because I like the workflow enhancements. If you don't know what they are, look them up. If you don't see anything you like, don't upgrade.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:42 AM   #31
avocadomix

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I'm not an expert on the ins and outs of OS', I've machines still on Win98SE, XP and Win7-Pro because I was told they were good systems (and they do their job well, I won't mess with them).

I can't get a straight answer out of anybody here, will Win10-Pro exclude me from the unasked-for updates and the check-home-about-everything behaviour? I'm building a new Workstation soon, and I will not have an OS on it that reports anything to the manufacturer -think client confidentiality.

I absolutely must have control over system and driver/software updates -the kind I can research first and uninstall if they cause issues -I don't want to take risks with arbitrary updates I didn't ask for breaking something while I'm not looking. Nothing I have read about Win10 gives me any confidence whatsoever, and most IT people I manage to speak to say "not on commercial machines" they won't support it.

Can anybody tell me with any confidence that Win10Pro will do what I want? Does anybody actually know what they're talking about?
>
If privacy and control is what you're after then Win10 is exactly the opposite. Win10 is a rolling release, morphing through forced updates, so nobody knows what it will be in a few weeks or months from now. Add to that the bad record of WinUpdate breaking things and you get the idea.

If I was to build a new production system, I would go with Win8.1 opting out of Microsoft account and disabling some common annoyances like OneDrive. Or Win7 if I didn't know how to disable the annoynaces and opt out of Microsoft account. In both cases, to reduce the inconvenience of the "upgrade to win10 now" nag, I would switch off the "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" option.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #32
soundchaser59

Windows 95 acceptable (fixed 3.1)

Windows 98 crap (nice try)

Windows XP acceptable (fixed 98)

Windows Vista crap (nice try)

Windows 7. Acceptable (fixed Vista)

Windows 8. Crap (nice try)

Windows 8.1. Acceptable (fixed 8)

Windows 10 Crap (nice try)
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #33
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post

Windows 95 acceptable (fixed 3.1)

Windows 98 crap (nice try)

Windows XP acceptable (fixed 98)

Windows Vista crap (nice try)

Windows 7. Acceptable (fixed Vista)

Windows 8. Crap (nice try)

Windows 8.1. Acceptable (fixed 8)

Windows 10 Crap (nice try)
10 has been more stable, and perhaps a hair nippier, than 8.1 for me.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #34
Jae.Thomas

yeah I can't see any justification for thinking 8.1 is better than 10
Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #35
Outboarder

Quote:
It spends all its time updating itself and rebooting when I'm not looking even if I have stuff open and just close the lid to put it to sleep. Next morning I'm logged out again and upon logging in Windows informs me that it has restarted after having installed updates.
Turn off automatic update.
or
Disable Automatically-Applied Updates.

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-t...ws-10-0163552/
Quote:
The hdd is grinding almost constantly, like it's... I dunno?
Turn off Superfetch in services(stop and set manual).

aslo watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw

Last edited by Outboarder; 03-11-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Outboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:40 AM   #36
Softsynth

Quote:
Ever since I upgraded my laptop (a modest ASUS X401U, FTR) to Win 10 last year it's been nigh unusable. It spends all its time updating itself and rebooting when I'm not looking even if I have stuff open and just close the lid to put it to sleep. Next morning I'm logged out again and upon logging in Windows informs me that it has restarted after having installed updates. The hdd is grinding almost constantly, like it's... I dunno? Very busy doing SOMETHING. I have opted out of all things optional and disabled all the telemetry stuff with Spybot Anti-Beacon. Yet it keeps doing shit that I haven't greenlighted and it feels like this isn't my computer anymore, it's part of some kind of Microsoft botnet. I wasn't crazy about Win 8 but at least it worked on that particular machine.

Funnily... just for the sake of experimentation I upgraded my daughters Win 7 Home computer to Win 10 as well a few months ago and this is a completely different story. I have not noticed the intrusive updating/rebooting thing on that machine at all. Nor the constant grinding of hard drives. TBH her almost decade-old dual core Dell machine flies with Win 10 on it. It's really, really snappy and has worked problem free ever since the upgrade.

This makes me wonder if the ASUS lappy is simply a very poor hardware fit for Windows 10. Maybe the W10 ASUS drivers are shit or something like that? Even if the ASUS is a budget lappy, I honestly thought it would outperform a 2007 stationary machine with an OS that is allegedly resource frugal (though maybe not by a great margin).

My DAW still has Win 7 on it. It's tempting to give Win 10 a shot given how great it works on the kid's computer. But clearly there's no guarantee it will perform well at all.
Is this ASUS X401U a machine that you use irregularly? -if so constant updates inevitable.

Is your Daughters machine one that is booted up every day?

I would not do a clean install on the DAW machine. Instead I would back up the drive image and install it as an upgrade. The clean install concept is mostly outdated now, it may help in isolated cases. Microsoft do not recommend it over updating, it's just another option. You'll have a lot less hassle if you just update, with all the plugin license nonsense. By the time you reinstall all your programs and Windows is up to date performance gains of a fresh install will be gone. This provided your hard drive wasn't nearly full, or your machine has a virus etc.

Part of my decision to go with Win10 and stay with it is the sheer number of cumulative updates. The longer you leave it the more you have to do. I have terribly slow broadband, not fun.

If you trial the update rather than fresh install it is silly easy to revert to Win7.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #37
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:

I feel your pain Mattias. You can always turn off the automatic updates???

I'm a happy Mac user since 2008. Never had any issues.

cheers
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #38
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoRibeiroDotCom View Post
I feel your pain Mattias. You can always turn off the automatic updates???

I'm a happy Mac user since 2008. Never had any issues.

cheers
How dare you!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #39
paulheu

Quote:
Ever since I upgraded my laptop (a modest ASUS X401U, FTR) to Win 10 last year it's been nigh unusable.
To get back to the OP.

I'd suggest doing a clean install, it would not be a surprise to me if the ASUS specific tools/drivers/OEM modifications of the previous OS are behind what you are experiencing.

ASUS would generally use pretty basic hardware components so I'd expect WIN10 to have/find and install the correct drivers during install. Instructions and tutorials on how to do a clean install from OEM are plentiful on Google/YouTube and it's really straightforward; pretty much get the ISO/USB using the MSFT Media Tool and do a clean install, it will activate once complete.
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:52 AM   #40
planetnine

Something else that has been dawning on me here.

Anybody I am in contact with who has windows10 is probably giving MS my personal data through their contacts list. Do you users who don't care about your own personal data think it is ok to give away mine without my permission?

That's tantamount to broadcasting and publishing anything someone sends to you as personal communication without permission. I don't think that's cool. In fact I think that's breach of privacy. In the EU, I'm not sure that's entirely legal, we have data protection laws.

Can I just send you a virus back without your permission? I sure that's ok

>