Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 03-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #161
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
No worries, booting even when quick, like I said, is a complete buzzkill for me. .
LOL (actually, not just saying that as people do) picturing a guy at his PC having waited 10 seconds and saying "that's killed it for me now, the moments gone, I'll do something else instead!

Not taking the piss, it just tickled me.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #162
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
LOL (actually, not just saying that as people do) picturing a guy at his PC having waited 10 seconds and saying "that's killed it for me now, the moments gone, I'll do something else instead!

Not taking the piss, it just tickled me.
No worries. I actually edited the previous post some. Much of it is as I said above, I'm stable and performant enough to leave stuff up for weeks and it's really handy to just login and "GO!" If it were only my DAW and my studio and office weren't the same room and I only used it when I recorded, then I would likely shut it down if I didn't have an active project I was working on.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #163
Vendetta V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
are you even fucking serious? Do you see the constant upgrade headaches there?
I beg your pardon? Constant updates? The last time I got a notification for an update it was a few months ago.

It has never updated anything unless I've approved. It asks if I wanna install updates, and if I tell it to ask me tomorrow it won't ask for a few days in fact.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #164
paulheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stews View Post
I fall asleep watching videos on my pc. Also like to quickly check things in the morning and wouldn't have time to boot it up.
Boot time is about 8 seconds on my WIN10 desktop PC so not sure how that would be a problem
paulheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #165
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulheu View Post
Boot time is about 8 seconds on my WIN10 desktop PC so not sure how that would be a problem
Because my PC isn't you desktop PC... I have never timed it but I'd estimate my boot time (from off to all my apps being up and running) is at least 2 minutes.

Though, even if my boot time was 1 second, my first reason would still mean I left my PC on at night.
Stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #166
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
I beg your pardon? Constant updates? The last time I got a notification for an update it was a few months ago.

It has never updated anything unless I've approved. It asks if I wanna install updates, and if I tell it to ask me tomorrow it won't ask for a few days in fact.
nah, no upgrade problems on mac osx. never. lol
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #167
Softsynth

Quote:
Because my PC isn't you desktop PC... I have never timed it but I'd estimate my boot time (from off to all my apps being up and running) is at least 2 minutes.

Though, even if my boot time was 1 second, my first reason would still mean I left my PC on at night.
This is where wireless laser mice come in handy.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #168
Stews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
This is where wireless laser mice come in handy.
My mouse is by my bedside but I can't do a shut down when I'm asleep :P
Old 03-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #169
The Telenator
Banned

Quote:
I fall asleep watching videos on my pc. Also like to quickly check things in the morning and wouldn't have time to boot it up.
I have to confess the several/many times I've been abruptly awakened by my forehead hitting the PC keyboard at 3 or 4 am. It would be worth a good laugh right then if I wasn't so exhausted when it happens ... and I'm sure it will again!

Just curious, this happening to any other late-nighters?

And just to chip in here, I'm getting so I only shut the PCs down when I shut the whole place down and leave. Might not even then, except for those occasional popup storms and that .0001% chance of some break-in maniac having his way with my system
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:17 AM   #170
Vendetta V

Quote:
no I'm just honestly telling ya people. OSX doesn't have the occassional updates that Windows has. So far OSX is more of a 1 big release annually and 2-4 small .x type of updates.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:29 AM   #171
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta V View Post
no I'm just honestly telling ya people. OSX doesn't have the occassional updates that Windows has. So far OSX is more of a 1 big release annually and 2-4 small .x type of updates.
I'm not talking about that - I'm talking about the issues I see people have WITH the upgrades
Old 03-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #172
babag

just a perception here but aren't most of the problems people have with osx upgrades non-os specific? in other words, the os is ok but the upgrade breaks a lot of third party apps which, then, have to be upgraded. never had such problems myself, though, as my use centers around just a few major apps.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #173
Jae.Thomas

I have had VERY minimal upgrade incompatibilities with windows since windows xp, with the exception of graphics cards. And having to work around the lack of a driver for my 12 year old audio interface. Hardware is one thing but as far as software...

I definitely lost "nesticle" ...

that was the big one. hahah

but that was based on DOS stuff
Old 03-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #174
Judders

Quote:
As long as you check that your 3rd party hardware/software will work before upgrading to a new major OS version, there are no problems.

The only problems I can think of in the past 5 years were the OpenCL problems with Mavericks (sorted after a couple of months) and UA interfaces not working with El Capitan.

Apple have the big advantage of being able to test every official hardware configuration before release, so it's pretty much plain sailing. It's impossible for MS to test every possible hardware configuration before releasing updates, so problems are to be expected. That isn't a value judgement, by the way, as I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I do use both.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #175
Softsynth

Quote:
I have had VERY minimal upgrade incompatibilities with windows since windows xp, with the exception of graphics cards. And having to work around the lack of a driver for my 12 year old audio interface. Hardware is one thing but as far as software...

Hardware wise since Win 95 I've had a Microsoft joystick that was incompatible with the new fangled Win XP. It wasn't old but they never bothered supporting it.

I nearly didn't make the jump to 10 until Roland finally made a compatible driver for my A-800 and Samsung made a universal driver for my printer.

So in total that's one unimportant component since 1996 when I started building a multitude of desktop PCs.

Dealing with other people's laptops I have found some issues, but nothing insurmountable.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #176
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
just a perception here but aren't most of the problems people have with osx upgrades non-os specific? in other words, the os is ok but the upgrade breaks a lot of third party apps which, then, have to be upgraded. never had such problems myself, though, as my use centers around just a few major apps.

BabaG
Hahahahaha, i literally spat my drink across the room when reading this, have you not heard of El Capitan ? hahahahaha
I wont go in to all the things that Apple broke, lets just cover one major one that is huge for any serious OSX user.
Save dialogue, no full path in columns anymore, so saving things in well defined sub folders for a project, now takes 5 clicks instead of 2.
It has been reported by Photoshop/Logic/Reaper/Cubase/Live/After effects......the list goes on users, do you think Apple gives a f**k or will ever fix it, nope.

Apple and Microsoft, two horns, same bullshit
Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #177
cerendir

Quote:

Windows has always been very reliable for backwards compatibility and supporting legacy stuff. So yeah, you have to give them that.

For me at least the main upgrading headaches over the years have come from games (which is understandable).
Old 03-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #178
Stews

It's been many a year since Windows problems were because of its incompetency. These days it's choices Microsoft are making that are the problem.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #179
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Hahahahaha, i literally spat my drink across the room when reading this, have you not heard of El Capitan ? hahahahaha
I wont go in to all the things that Apple broke, lets just cover one major one that is huge for any serious OSX user.
Save dialogue, no full path in columns anymore, so saving things in well defined sub folders for a project, now takes 5 clicks instead of 2.
It has been reported by Photoshop/Logic/Reaper/Cubase/Live/After effects......the list goes on users, do you think Apple gives a f**k or will ever fix it, nope.
Huh? I don't get what you're saying. How do you mean "no full columns"?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #180
babag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post

Apple and Microsoft, two horns, same bullshit
wow. guess it's good that i've migrated away so i haven't paid much attention since mavericks. stuck with mavericks and w7. hope you got the room cleaned up.

BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #181
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
I'll need an OS for my new workstation, I'm going for Win7-Pro unless someone gives me some confidence.

>
I upgraded to windows 10 have no problems at all. But I did not upgrade a fully configured reaper system I just set up a very limited copy of windows 7 and activated. Then after the upgrade I installed the reaper system. Works well!
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:51 AM   #182
Vendetta V

Quote:
I'm not talking about that - I'm talking about the issues I see people have WITH the upgrades
oh like the major updates that happen annually? There's that yeah. But then again who doesn't? The only thing is that bigger companies usually are read yfor the new OS (like Adobe usually being read yfor the new 10.x update)

But at least we don't have a daily 'windows has to update' bs
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #183
Stews

Since learning about this issue of software becoming incompatible and being disabled (and knowing I'll one day have to move to Windows 10) I've been paranoid to the point of questioning using plugins!

I'm thinking what if I use a particular plugin on a track then it gets disabled and the track is potentially ruined depending on how important that plugin was.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #184
karbomusic

Quote:
Since learning about this issue of software becoming incompatible and being disabled (and knowing I'll one day have to move to Windows 10) I've been paranoid to the point of questioning using plugins!
But it was fairly clear and succinct that any occurrences of that were due to apps that had a far enough reaching impact that it wound up on the radar and subsequently disabled for OS stability reasons. I don't think there are any VSTs that remotely fall into that category, mainly because there likely aren't enough DAW users, using the same VSTs and Windows 10 and the VST causing bluescreens in a large enough group to even tick that meter.

That doesn't mean I'm telling you to upgrade, upgrades by nature are risky but just mentioning the one you are worried about is likely farther down the list than it is making you feel. Also, I'm sure if you ran the compatibility tool (I imagine there is one), it would call this out ahead of time.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:23 PM   #185
Stews

Quote:
But it was fairly clear and succinct that any occurrences of that were due to apps that had a far enough reaching impact that it wound up on the radar and subsequently disabled for OS stability reasons. I don't think there are any VSTs that remotely fall into that category, mainly because there likely aren't enough DAW users, using the same VSTs and Windows 10 and the VST causing bluescreens in a large enough group to even tick that meter.

That doesn't mean I'm telling you to upgrade, upgrades by nature are risky but just mentioning the one you are worried about is likely farther down the list than it is making you feel. Also, I'm sure if you ran the compatibility tool (I imagine there is one), it would call this out ahead of time.
Appreciate your reply.

I'm mostly being paranoid and anxious about the issue. It's the fact that it can happen at any time that makes me very uneasy.

Are you sure it's based on widely known issues rather than any kind of code scanning?

Most of the reports seem to be about software like Speccy and CPU-Z - low level system utilities that use various "hacks" but there are also reports about FTP clients which are the ones that worry me.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:22 PM   #186
karbomusic

Quote:
Appreciate your reply.

I'm mostly being paranoid and anxious about the issue. It's the fact that it can happen at any time that makes me very uneasy.
I would be as well. Even though I know I could get out of most any situation I'd end up in, I often avoid/delay certain upgrades on certain important machines because I don't want to go through the trouble of troubleshooting because I have better things to do.

Quote:
Are you sure it's based on widely known issues rather than any kind of code scanning?

Most of the reports seem to be about software like Speccy and CPU-Z - low level system utilities that use various "hacks" but there are also reports about FTP clients which are the ones that worry me.
Yes I'm pretty darn sure, search for Speccy and see how many of them are BSODs, word gets out especially since error reporting (it really is a good thing) provides the majority of the metrics that drive those decisions then support cases where it get's debugged officially.

Secondly, you are answering your own question without realizing it. Those types of hacks are what raise the risk of BSODs by their very nature. In this regard, 'hack' typically means something that produces the desired result but isn't officially supported by the OS. However, being unsupported doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means there is no commitment to not change the OS in a way that could break the app that depends on the hack, or cause BSODs. If it were supported and that occurred it's a bug, if unsupported we are just riding a wave that could break at anytime.

A great example of ^that is the issue not long ago causing flash cards to be corrupted. That vendor (I forget who they were) were using a byte offset that had historically been unused. But... It was documented as 'reserved for future use', that future arrived when MS started using it in Windows 10.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-01-2016 at 07:35 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #187
Curtis
Banned

Earlier this week I discovered that windows 10 attempts to connect to the internet when an image file is opened. Another reason to keep the internet cable disconnected.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #188
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Earlier this week I discovered that windows 10 attempts to connect to the internet when an image file is opened. Another reason to keep the internet cable disconnected.

Why would it do that and how did you determine this?
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #189
ivansc

If he has allowed their cloud to open on startup, it will automatically try to copy any new image it "sees" on your computer to the cloud.
This is just one way this could happen & the solution is straightforward.
I don`t allow windows access to or to be able to do anything with images on my computer. The ones I dont give a damn about or which I want to have backup on, I use Dropbox, which is probably just as un-secure as The Cloud!

This level of stuff isn`t rocket surgery, folks.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #190
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I don`t allow windows access to or to be able to do anything with images on my computer.
No different than dropbox in that respect because it only applies to a single root folder - except IIRC the features and usability are more advanced than db. I only keep drop box enabled so I can get files from my paranoid friends I probably have 75GB synced in one drive.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:57 AM   #191
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Which won't help, because it gets stored on disk in a cache and sent the first time you do connect.

And it's the same on OSX. Well, not the same data, but the same mechanism.

It's also why pulling the cable is a thing of the past, really. If you never connect, the machine will become unstable somehow. It can take days, weeks, or months. But it will happen.

And since some updates and some licenses can only be applied online, running a non-connected system isn't possible anymore.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:15 AM   #192
cyrano

Quote:
If he has allowed their cloud to open on startup, it will automatically try to copy any new image it "sees" on your computer to the cloud.
This is just one way this could happen & the solution is straightforward.
I don`t allow windows access to or to be able to do anything with images on my computer. The ones I dont give a damn about or which I want to have backup on, I use Dropbox, which is probably just as un-secure as The Cloud!

This level of stuff isn`t rocket surgery, folks.
That's certainly a first explanation. And probably what's happening with the OP's pictures. And I haven't looked at it on Win 10 since I took a first look months ago.

I did look a lot further on OSX, though. And I believe it's very much likewise on Win 10.

You'll see a steady, very slow, encrypted stream of data going out. And it contains the metadata of all your files, including those that have been excluded from backup and search and live on an encrypted disk image or separate partition. You can't see the content since it is encrypted, but when it fails, it still shows up in the Console logs. And that's how I know it happens. Only files that are never opened might escape. I don't know, really, as I haven't been able to imagine a test case.

There's a simple, logical explanation. The data is an index backup on the cloud, used to restore the contents of your machines. Only, I don't use an iCloud account and I don't have an iPhone or iPad...

When I looked at it in Win 10, the most striking was how the systems resembled one another.

When it comes to audio, this background system is what causes a lot of the dropout problems. You'd think a modern computer would be able to play a track these days, wouldn't you?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:38 AM   #193
SEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post
Running Windows 10 since the inception. Haven't had one issue, and seems to run smoother.

What about your VST instruments and VST plugs? Any issues with them?

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #194
ivansc

SEA - there were a (very) few vst/vsti manufacturer who had problems with W10 initially, but that all cleared up pretty quickly in almost all cases.
Waves was a particular case I remember and to be honest I am stll waiting for Antares to sort out a preset issue with Harmoony Engine. But again confined to a preset problem, so I can still use HE.
I have nothing that is a problem now apart from getting my elderly UAD-1 pci cards running again.

Working on that....
Old 04-10-2016, 06:15 AM   #195
SEA

Quote:
SEA - there were a (very) few vst/vsti manufacturer who had problems with W10 initially, but that all cleared up pretty quickly in almost all cases.
Waves was a particular case I remember and to be honest I am stll waiting for Antares to sort out a preset issue with Harmoony Engine. But again confined to a preset problem, so I can still use HE.
I have nothing that is a problem now apart from getting my elderly UAD-1 pci cards running again.

Working on that....
Good to hear!

What about speed and efficiency? Windows 7 is rock solid of for me so I always take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach when it comes to updated my DAW

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:47 AM   #196
OPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
What about your VST instruments and VST plugs? Any issues with them?
Nope. Not one single sneeze
I use multiple plugs from each of these companies daily,

Valhalla
Sonimus
Waves
Ddmf
Klanghelm
NI
Independence
Cakewalk
Stillwell
Rob papen
Xfer

There's more but this is the main bunch.

Edit: In no way am I saying go with Windows 10. But I can't not stick up for them since I haven't had even one issue. The whole update thing is a bit tricky indeed though. Btw my friends Mac just got a virus (grin), both of my brothers iPhones 6's are buggy as hell, and my boss's Apple all in one took a shit and is now being repaired. It's a strange world we live in. Everyone has there own story.

Last edited by OPI; 04-10-2016 at 06:56 AM.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #197
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

Oh, and BTW, browsers are all dropping support for X509 certificates soon. Has already happened on OSX and Linux. MS is just being a tad slow. So no private communications anymore. Doesn't seem to worry anyone...
That's because they aren't getting rid of secure communications, they are deprecating and dropping support for TLS 1.0 etc. because it is so exploitable at this point. They aren't throwing away PKI/X509 certs etc. but rather forcing servers to use the more up-to-date and secure protocol versions. There are sites for testing servers to see if they pass/fail:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

Some NIST recommendations are requiring it. By dropping support in the browsers, it bypasses some of the problem of servers having it lazily or unknowingly enabled. Either the client will negotiate up to a more secure version of the protocol during the SSL handshake or it simply won't connect.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-11-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #198
cyrano

Quote:
That's because they aren't getting rid of secure communications, they are deprecating and dropping support for TLS 1.0 etc. because it is so exploitable at this point. They aren't throwing away PKI/X509 certs etc. but rather forcing servers to use the more up-to-date and secure protocol versions. There are sites for testing servers to see if they pass/fail:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/

Some NIST recommendations are requiring it. By dropping support in the browsers, it bypasses some of the problem of servers having it lazily or unknowingly enabled. Either the client will negotiate up to a more secure version of the protocol during the SSL handshake or it simply won't connect.
Gee. Did I really post that three times? My memory is worse than I figured. Well, I deleted one of those posts. Seems like two is enough.

@Karbo:

I know about dropping TLS. That needs to be done. And I know about these tests, I've been running them with Vivaldi. My list is a lot longer

And fwiw, these tests aren't perfect.

But I believe X509 certificates are needed for some non-standard applications. Maybe calling them X509 certs isn't exact. Let's call it "browser support for client certs".

Take a look at this discussion, fi:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ty/mr_DoJGOoiA

I'm thinking "no easy client certificates", means only SSL with a cert issued by one of the CA's (unless you want to do it in JavaScript or something like it) for https.

As a lot of browsers/platforms don't even check cert revocation lists, this is an excellent opportunity for governments to stamp out other, private encryption methods, like PGP. Or at least, making it a lot harder for devs to support, especially cross-platform in an browser.

That should make people like Putin and Erdogan very, very happy.

A quote: "The slightly longer answer is: You can still automate issuing certificates
to clients in a way that the client's private key never leaves the host by
using something like WebCrypto and pki.js. Then you can have the user
download the cert and private key and install them. "

How many of your users are able to install a certificate and a private key this way?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #199
karbomusic

No worries... Didn't have time to read it all but some of that is not the same, aka SMIME, client certs for dual factor auth etc. which is the same technology but nothing to do with say checking your bank balance or doing a transaction on amazon as in https privacy in general. Just didn't want people to think they are doing away with HTTPS.

That being said dual factor auth and/or SMIME etc. has always been a pain in the ass and I tend to run from it although I have had to debug it a few times. One thing I do like is some two-factor auth now uses your phone to call you which bypasses the smart card/two factor/cert stuff. It calls you and you just enter your pin.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-11-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #200
cyrano

@ karbomusic

Well, I was skeptical. Did some more research. And you're right.

It doesn't really matter much, as you don't need to use a browser and as long as you can do it outside of the browser, it's moot. And you can still do it inside the browser too, if you're real stubborn, with javascript.