Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 AM   #241
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Hey Guys, need some advice!

I'm cutting this close to the bone but I recall reading there's a way to get the license for windows 10 but actually hold off on the install for a bit longer (even past the 29th) as I need to wait till next week if possible. Any ideas if that's true? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #242
SmajjL

MBN, need advice? huh what? something wrong with my monitor.
All I got.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #243
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
MBN, need advice? huh what? something wrong with my monitor.
All I got.
Lol indeed.. In my defence though, it's because I don't have time to do the research and I've kept putting it off

In fact.. I've delayed it till tomorrow now as I still haven't found the answer yet..

Made a full disk back up just in case I need a "fast retreat"
Old 07-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #244
SmajjL

SmajjL understand, and there is no lack of Windows 10 threads either..
I bought an electronic key so, all I got was something new to explore basically (wiie! new stuffz!) speaking for myself.
So I can't give you a solid answer on doing upgrade tricks/stunts, keys, based on my own XP.

One Reaper user doing the upgrade thing found this link.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...ndows-7-and-8/
Got a feeling you will be fine if you can find a stopwatch to freeze some time, or, summit.

Last edited by SmajjL; 07-28-2016 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Bump ;)
Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 AM   #245
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Lol indeed.. In my defence though, it's because I don't have time to do the research and I've kept putting it off

In fact.. I've delayed it till tomorrow now as I still haven't found the answer yet..

Made a full disk back up just in case I need a "fast retreat"
DEFINITELY do a full disk clone before you move to win10.
On my laptop I bought a SSD and just cloned my system disk onto the new SSD, kept the old disk as my backup and now clone to it from the SSD on a regular basis.

Samsung supply a great migration software with their SSDs, which is what I went with. 850Eco 500gb. Whizzier than a whizzy thing.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:43 AM   #246
musicbynumbers

Thanks for the info guys

I've done a full backup of the disk and will give it all a go later.

The biggest worry has been my 35 usb devices Some of them are super old now..

will see how it goes!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:10 AM   #247
SmajjL

Not sure if my thumbs is 'fingers', but they are crossed.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #248
musicbynumbers

thanks!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:10 AM   #249
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Thanks for the info guys

I've done a full backup of the disk and will give it all a go later.

The biggest worry has been my 35 usb devices Some of them are super old now..

will see how it goes!
Yeah, I know what you mean.

What I did is just get a new SSD and got it installed along side my Win-7 SSD. So now I've got a duel boot.

It takes a little longer when I'm powering up but it's worth it. When I just had Win-7 it took about 20 seconds, but now on boot up I get a screen where I can select which Windows I want to boot with, 7 or 10.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #250
Jae.Thomas

Disk clone? Doesn't win10 allow you to roll back in 30 days or less?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #251
musicbynumbers

Thanks tod. Indeed!

And Jason, it probably does allow that but I wouldn't trust it

Disk image or bust!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #252
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Yes - my wife hates W10 on her "work" computer so we rolled her back to 7. No issues.

But I would STILL do a disk clone first to be 100% safe.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #253
Jae.Thomas

they are probably doing a system image which I've depended on for years and it's worked quite solidly since vista
Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 AM   #254
DBMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
Apart from changing default programs and settings and choking more useless apps onto your system, the Anniversary Update now only gives you 10 days to roll back.

But we love Microsoft...because they oh so know what's best for us.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 AM   #255
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMusic View Post
Apart from changing default programs and settings and choking more useless apps onto your system, the Anniversary Update now only gives you 10 days to roll back.

But we love Microsoft...because they oh so know what's best for us.
I mean, they think they do and their jobs depend upon it - they want happy customers and they've determined from their data that 30 days isn't needed for that.

you could just not use windows.

It's not a girlfriend or a father, it's an operating system
Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #256
soundchaser59

Ever since windows 95 there is a pattern on releases of windows versions, every other one is crap.

Windows 95 acceptable (fixed 3.1)

Windows 98 crap (nice try)

Windows XP acceptable (fixed 98)

Windows Vista crap (nice try)

Windows 7. Acceptable (fixed Vista)

Windows 8. Crap (nice try)

Windows 8.1. Acceptable (fixed 8)

Windows 10 Crap (nice try)
Old 09-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #257
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundchaser59 View Post
Ever since windows 95 there is a pattern on releases of windows versions, every other one is crap.

Windows 95 acceptable (fixed 3.1)

Windows 98 crap (nice try)

Windows XP acceptable (fixed 98)

Windows Vista crap (nice try)

Windows 7. Acceptable (fixed Vista)

Windows 8. Crap (nice try)

Windows 8.1. Acceptable (fixed 8)

Windows 10 Crap (nice try)
10 has been more stable, and perhaps a hair nippier, than 8.1 for me.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #258
Jae.Thomas

yeah I can't see any justification for thinking 8.1 is better than 10
Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #259
avocadomix

Stability-wise, win 8.1 is much better. Not the least because for Win8, the manufacturer needs to build drivers once and then they are free to improve them. With Win10, manufacturers have to test and change drivers for every major upgrade of win10. More changes introduced into driver + less time to improve and fix bugs = less stable drivers = more blue screens and weird hardware issues.

Also privacy-wise. And also performance-wise. Because win10 is a rolling release with forced updates and upgrades, and also because of forced telemetry, the system is spending much larger portion of time in maintenance, and sometimes this is happening when you are trying to use it for your purposes.

Last edited by avocadomix; 09-15-2016 at 09:27 PM.
avocadomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #260
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadomix View Post
and sometimes this is happening when you are trying to use it for your purposes.
My system is set to do any updating when I choose and always asks before doing. I believe the idea nowadays is to do this stuff during low activity periods...
8 and 8.1 were a good prelude to 10 IMO.
The only issues I have had once I had all the security permissions set to "fuck off, MS" have been with plugin manufacturers who chose to use some arcane method of securing their product by linking it to something in the Windows software! (grin XLN just this week!)
Old 09-16-2016, 03:55 AM   #261
Judders

Quote:
Stability-wise, win 8.1 is much better. Not the least because for Win8, the manufacturer needs to build drivers once and then they are free to improve them. With Win10, manufacturers have to test and change drivers for every major upgrade of win10. More changes introduced into driver + less time to improve and fix bugs = less stable drivers = more blue screens and weird hardware issues.

Also privacy-wise. And also performance-wise. Because win10 is a rolling release with forced updates and upgrades, and also because of forced telemetry, the system is spending much larger portion of time in maintenance, and sometimes this is happening when you are trying to use it for your purposes.
I guess it depends what you're using it for. I don't do any music on my Windows machine, and the only drivers that matter are the NVIDIA ones, which I've never had any problems with.

Can't say I've noticed any drop in performance from 8.1 to 10, if anything the OS seems a tad snappier, and stability wise I can't remember a single problem yet in 10, save for one duff update that had to be uninstalled and redone, whereas 8.1 did crash from time to time.

I turned off all that Cortina rubbish or whatever it's called, and to be honest I'm not personally bothered about the privacy stuff on that machine because it is limited to work use. I'm far more concerned about Google and GCHQ/NSA than I am about Microsoft.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:08 AM   #262
ivansc

A word to the wise: Reading all the online blurb about the anniversary update, MS apparently are doing their level best to force even the pro version users to accept Cortana as part of their workflow.

Hopefully we can still come up with a way of circumventing this.

Happily, I still have Win7 and 8 and 8,1 Installs as plan B for whenever the day arrives that MS force something on me that I really dont want.
Just hope reverting doesnt break too many of my music programs if I ever have to....
Old 09-16-2016, 06:04 AM   #263
avocadomix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I guess it depends what you're using it for. I don't do any music on my Windows machine, and the only drivers that matter are the NVIDIA ones, which I've never had any problems with.
Then you must have a very special computer because all others at least have a chipset and chipset drivers, and laptops also have
a significant number of peripheral devices, all of them need drivers to run properly.

Quote:
Can't say I've noticed any drop in performance from 8.1 to 10, if anything the OS seems a tad snappier
Then perhaps you've never installed OS upgrade which generally takes an hour or more with several reboots and further temporary drop in performance due to background tasks. The UI is slightly more responsive in Win10 but that only matters for the "feel".

Quote:
and stability wise I can't remember a single problem yet in 10, save for one duff update that had to be uninstalled and redone, whereas 8.1 did crash from time to time.
That means your Win8 system had issues that needed fixing and your Win10 system still doesn't have them. And that your hardware setup is very simple, probably a desktop computer.

Quote:
I turned off all that Cortina rubbish or whatever it's called, and to be honest I'm not personally bothered about the privacy stuff on that machine because it is limited to work use. I'm far more concerned about Google and GCHQ/NSA than I am about Microsoft.
All big companies giving out a product for free turn their users into their product. But frankly with Google it feels like a fair game to me where everything is on the table. With Microsoft it's a sneaky cat-and-mouse game where they repeatedly breach my trust using techniques that I think are inappropriate and I need to go after them and close the holes they make.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #264
avocadomix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
My system is set to do any updating when I choose and always asks before doing. I believe the idea nowadays is to do this stuff during low activity periods...
8 and 8.1 were a good prelude to 10 IMO.
The only issues I have had once I had all the security permissions set to "fuck off, MS" have been with plugin manufacturers who chose to use some arcane method of securing their product by linking it to something in the Windows software! (grin XLN just this week!)
Well if you know how to configure security settings then you are an advanced user, at least compared to the vast majority which doesn't know how, doesn't bother or both. So not you but the vast majority of win10 users will suffer from the information leak and the associated performance drop (the telemetry gathering services are resources hungry when they run).
Old 09-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #265
Judders

Quote:
Then you must have a very special computer because all others at least have a chipset and chipset drivers, and laptops also have
a significant number of peripheral devices, all of them need drivers to run properly.
Yay! I have a very special computer!

Quote:
Then perhaps you've never installed OS upgrade which generally takes an hour or more with several reboots and further temporary drop in performance due to background tasks. The UI is slightly more responsive in Win10 but that only matters for the "feel".
Yes, I did update from 8.1. I fully accept that I could be being fooled by the UI "feel", except the boot time is also a tiny bit faster.

Quote:
That means your Win8 system had issues that needed fixing and your Win10 system still doesn't have them. And that your hardware setup is very simple, probably a desktop computer.
Yes, it is a desktop with a minimal hardware setup. The only external hardware is a first generation Wacom tablet (still going strong after 17 years!). The machine is only used for 3D graphics apps and rendering. Not sure what issues needed fixing in 8.1, as nothing has changed bar an update for the NVIDIA drivers, but I'm happy to accept there may have been issues that I didn't know about.

Quote:
All big companies giving out a product for free turn their users into their product. But frankly with Google it feels like a fair game to me where everything is on the table. With Microsoft it's a sneaky cat-and-mouse game where they repeatedly breach my trust using techniques that I think are inappropriate and I need to go after them and close the holes they make.
That's fair enough. If I used my Windows machine for anything personal then I would probably feel the same.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #266
SmajjL

On, or, off topic, funny non the less.
Swearing warning! ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCqw9FmBgKY

Ps. "[ Youtube ]http://youtu.be/YCqw9FmBgKY[ /Youtube ]" ??

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-20-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #267
Bass6

Sitting by my PC waiting for a call from MS Development tech support.
My second, older PC (about 4 yrs now) has run W10 happily since last August.
A few days ago W10 ran the 'anniversary update' all on its lonesome. Yeah, happy fucking birthday.
Since then my sound is screwed. Thankfully, I have a newer PC which I do most of my recording on, but still use the old one a lot. At least, I did.
I have an old Focusrite Saffire 6 interface (the USB 1.1 version). This ran fine on W10 with its old driver (written in 2011). Just fine. No problem. But Microsoft decided their latest update would assume command of what sound drivers are loaded at bootup. So now my PC boots with the old Focusrite driver and some piece of shit Windoze generic driver, both applied to THE SAME INTERFACE. WTF?
First time I thought, OK, I'll uninstall that generic bastard and just use the Focusrite one. Problem solved. Until the next boot up, and lo & behold, the generic bastard's back again. No matter what I try, I can't get rid of it.
MS Level 1 and 2 tech support can't fix it (Level 1 suggested my soundcard had miraculously developed a fault! She got both barrels) so now I'm waiting for the developer monkeys to ring me. Jeezus. Thanks Microsoft, for wasting the last 4 days of my life trying to fix YOUR fuck up.
If it does ever get fixed, I'll be sure to let you all know.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:59 AM   #268
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass6 View Post
I have an old Focusrite Saffire 6 interface (the USB 1.1 version). This ran fine on W10 with its old driver (written in 2011). Just fine. No problem..
FWIW I too had a USB1.1 Saffire6 but in my case I never ever did get it running reliably with Win 7 o r8 on an i5 laptop.
Focusrite support even gave up, offered me an exchange deal on the newer USB2 Scarlett, which suffered from the same issues. Got a refund and bought my second ME (a Babyface this time) which runs perfectly regardless of what MS throws at me.
One on 64 bit pro the other on 64 bit home premium.

I hate to say it, but having watched a long line of focusrite products (including hte liquid mix) act like their drivers are a total crapshoot, I am now both wary of buying another FF interface or indeed blaming MS for any problems with FF products.
Bear in mind LOTS of folks on here say they get great performance from their FF stuff, which is why I said it is a bit of a crapshoot.

Hopefully the MS guys and FF guys between them, but DO be the squeaky wheel with both companies.
I had to really persevere to get a satisfactory result, although the tech guys themselves were wonderful. Definitely going the extra mile for me.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #269
Bass6

Quote:
FWIW I too had a USB1.1 Saffire6 but in my case I never ever did get it running reliably with Win 7 o r8 on an i5 laptop.
Focusrite support even gave up, offered me an exchange deal on the newer USB2 Scarlett, which suffered from the same issues. Got a refund and bought my second ME (a Babyface this time) which runs perfectly regardless of what MS throws at me.
One on 64 bit pro the other on 64 bit home premium.

I hate to say it, but having watched a long line of focusrite products (including hte liquid mix) act like their drivers are a total crapshoot, I am now both wary of buying another FF interface or indeed blaming MS for any problems with FF products.
Bear in mind LOTS of folks on here say they get great performance from their FF stuff, which is why I said it is a bit of a crapshoot.

Hopefully the MS guys and FF guys between them, but DO be the squeaky wheel with both companies.
I had to really persevere to get a satisfactory result, although the tech guys themselves were wonderful. Definitely going the extra mile for me.
It's all very odd and no mistake. I too have nothing but praise for FF's tech support guys - I usually get through straight away to an actual human being, and they're always very helpful.
I didn't get the call-back from MS, so I rang them today to chase. Gave remote control (*shiver*) to another techy who uninstalled a load of hidden 'ghost-drivers' (his words) - which did absolutely nothing, same problem.
Neither uninstalling or disabling the MS generic drivers works. The techy said it's now escalated to a priority case and he'll ask the development team if they have any more suggestions. Failing that, my only option is to uninstall the anniversary update and roll-back to the previous version of W10.
Apparently it is "impossible" to remove the function, whatever the hell it is, that constantly re-installs these generic drivers that appeared as part of this anniversary update. I don't see why, and I am mighty pissed off with MS now. It was their bloody update that broke my PC but apparently they 'can't' fix it. Smacks of fascism to me - 'we know best, you're just a drone, do what we tell you.' Gah
Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #270
cyrano

You could try billing lost time to MS. Has worked for some...

Several lawsuits, seeking class action status are underway.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #271
Endisol

Quote:
Sitting by my PC waiting for a call from MS Development tech support.
My second, older PC (about 4 yrs now) has run W10 happily since last August.
A few days ago W10 ran the 'anniversary update' all on its lonesome. Yeah, happy fucking birthday.
Since then my sound is screwed. Thankfully, I have a newer PC which I do most of my recording on, but still use the old one a lot. At least, I did.
I have an old Focusrite Saffire 6 interface (the USB 1.1 version). This ran fine on W10 with its old driver (written in 2011). Just fine. No problem. But Microsoft decided their latest update would assume command of what sound drivers are loaded at bootup. So now my PC boots with the old Focusrite driver and some piece of shit Windoze generic driver, both applied to THE SAME INTERFACE. WTF?
First time I thought, OK, I'll uninstall that generic bastard and just use the Focusrite one. Problem solved. Until the next boot up, and lo & behold, the generic bastard's back again. No matter what I try, I can't get rid of it.
MS Level 1 and 2 tech support can't fix it (Level 1 suggested my soundcard had miraculously developed a fault! She got both barrels) so now I'm waiting for the developer monkeys to ring me. Jeezus. Thanks Microsoft, for wasting the last 4 days of my life trying to fix YOUR fuck up.
If it does ever get fixed, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Oh man that sucks.

I had the Focusrite Saffire 6 USB 1.1 version and it worked ok, cannot say no problems though, I cant remember the details but it didnt work smoothly for me on Win 7 and personally was not impressed with the drivers and fact it hadnt been updated since 2011 so i dumped the thing and upgraded to MOTU this year.
Endisol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #272
Bass6

Default Latest W10 update - apologies for the language

OK.
No, not OK. Nothing fucking like OK.
Last night Microsoft decided to force the latest 'critical update' into my PC, following on from their farcical 'Anniversary update' which has caused so many problems.

All day today, Reaper has crashed on me numerous times - at least, I've had a window pop up saying 'Reaper has stopped working and needs to close. Windows is searching for a solution' yadda yadda. Hah! Searching, my arse.

Coupled with several system crashes - 'Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to restart' or some such bullshit. My PC? Your fucking operating system you mean.

Since I bought my PC with W10 installed, I can't roll back to 7.
System restore only shows a few restore points up 30 days old. System restore run - automatic updates re-install immediately, and yes, I've switched off every bastard snooping nanny-state we-know-better-than-you app that I can find.
If the Microsoft CEO was with me now I'd start punching him in the face and only stop when my fist reached the back of his head. I am fucking LIVID. As you may have surmised.

When I get back after the weekend, I'll be emailing MS, billing them for my wasted time and demanding that they give ME back control of MY computer. Mine. Not theirs. I paid for it, I should decide what changes are implemented on it.
What's even more galling is that 10 worked pretty well for me until their 'Happy Birthday' update. Now it's all gone to shit. Bastards.

Rant over. Sorry for the swearing, but I'm just a tad annoyed right now.
Beware everyone. W10 is coming to get you......
Old 10-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #273
ivansc

Dont tell me - let me guess. You DONT have win19 Pro, do you?

Pro and Enterprise versions still allow admin a degree of autonomy. I have Pro and am beginning to wish I had sprung for the enterprise version now, just in case.
Oh and it also looks like they are going to apply the same terms and conditions to Win7 Vista 8 and 8.1 retroactively. Hopefully you guys wont also get stuck with bloody Cortana

FWIW my studio desktop is still running smoothly and showing zero issues so far.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #274
Bass6

Quote:
Dont tell me - let me guess. You DONT have win19 Pro, do you?

Pro and Enterprise versions still allow admin a degree of autonomy. I have Pro and am beginning to wish I had sprung for the enterprise version now, just in case.
Oh and it also looks like they are going to apply the same terms and conditions to Win7 Vista 8 and 8.1 retroactively. Hopefully you guys wont also get stuck with bloody Cortana

FWIW my studio desktop is still running smoothly and showing zero issues so far.
Win19? Holy cow, am I that far behind?!
No, sadly I've only got the home version. The web is filling up with posts from people just as pissed off as me with the latest 'updates', so I'm clearly not alone. One post mentioned a possible MS plan to make Win10 a 'subscription' based 'service', starting with corporate versions following the Office 365 model. I'm starting to feel sick.
I don't want to buy a Mac, cos I don't like their business model either and there're certain limitations involved too, but I'm getting more & more tempted.
I wonder if we can all persuade Justin to build an operating system to go with Reaper? Hah hah, only joking.......NOT.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #275
SEA

Quote:
Win19? Holy cow, am I that far behind?!
No, sadly I've only got the home version. The web is filling up with posts from people just as pissed off as me with the latest 'updates', so I'm clearly not alone. One post mentioned a possible MS plan to make Win10 a 'subscription' based 'service', starting with corporate versions following the Office 365 model. I'm starting to feel sick.
I don't want to buy a Mac, cos I don't like their business model either and there're certain limitations involved too, but I'm getting more & more tempted.
I wonder if we can all persuade Justin to build an operating system to go with Reaper? Hah hah, only joking.......NOT.
Why not reinstall Win 7 64? That's what I use and don't plan on upgrading until I absolutely have to like years from now.

As far as updates I can keep my DAW off line. Problem solved!

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:10 AM   #276
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Oh and it also looks like they are going to apply the same terms and conditions to Win7 Vista 8 and 8.1 retroactively. Hopefully you guys wont also get stuck with bloody Cortana.
True. Except, on Win 7/8 you can set WU to use the "Let me decide" setting, hide the updates and then use the WSUS service to manually install the updates of your choosing.

Yeah, it's a PITA but, it's either that or trust MS.

wudda ya gunna do...
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote