Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #1
Plushieluver101
Human being with feelings

Default New and Need Help Deciding if Reaper is What I Need

Hiya! Hopefully this is in the right place. If not, could a mod please move it to the correct place?

I've been redirected here by someone at Flipside forums after finding out FL Studio isn't compatible with my laptop specs, them saying that Reaper'd be more fit for my laptop, so I've joined to see if it's worth it to invest in Reaper for what I want to do.

I have an i317000 that performs at 2.40GHz and 8GBs of RAM. Is that enough to efficiently run Reaper?

Now questions. Does it have a piano roll-like feature? 'Cause what I'm doing is wanting to create some Animal Crossing remixes, Sonic and Mario, even. I can't play an instrument for the life of me, albeit, tinkering on the piano, so I thought I could put my ear-reading skills to good use and use it in a DAW but I need a piano roll-like feature to transcribe the notes that I've deciphered, so does Reaper have that?

I dunno what else I'd need. I assume it handles VSTs and plugins fine and I just map them to the piano roll and then input the melodies, and then go from there.

Uhm. Hope that made sense.

Thanks for the help!
Plushieluver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #2
solger

Yes, Reaper has a Piano Roll and can also use plugins

Simply download Reaper for a free, fully functional 60-day evaluation and test it on your system: https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

In addition, make sure to check out the User Guide (https://www.reaper.fm/userguide.php) and the Videos section (https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php) in general.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
trevlyns

Hi and welcome!

Yep, your camp is more than capable of handling Reaper - I've run it on much lower spec than that.

Piano roll it certainly does have and a whole lot more. And if you're ever in a jam, the video section and this forum is more than helpful.

Sure you'll have many fun hours with the product.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
DVDdoug

Quote:
I've been redirected here by someone at Flipside forums after finding out FL Studio isn't compatible with my laptop specs
Have you confirmed that or downloaded the trial version?

Usually, it's not a "yes/no" question... It depends on what you're doing, and if you are doing lots of simultaneous tracks or simultaneous virtual instruments in real-time, sooner or later you'll get glitches or you might need to increase you buffer size to the point where latency is an issue, etc.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #5
DarkStar

Reaper comes with very few plug-in instruments so you're going to need some sample libraries that have the sounds you want and a sampler to play them, using the MIDI in Reaper's piano roll.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Plushieluver101

Thank you, Solger That manual is absolutely gigantic :P Could you tell me what page the piano roll function is on, sorry?

Trevlyns, thankie for the welcome! Much appreciated I hope so! I'm so unsure whether to stay with FL Studio or change to Reaper. FL Studio has a far nicer interface, unless Reaper's is cutstomisable?

DVDdoug, I downloaded the trail, yeah and borrowed my brother's reg key just to play about with it. He determined that what was going on was the DSK plugins I had installed were mucking FL Studio as he has a far older laptop than mine that has worse spec than mine but didn't crash like mine, so he determined that for me. Kinda stuck now on what one to use and spend money on :P
Plushieluver101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plushieluver101 View Post
Thank you, Solger That manual is absolutely gigantic :P Could you tell me what page the piano roll function is on, sorry?
The keywords are 'Piano Roll', 'MIDI' and 'MIDI Editor'.
You can find info in the User Guide pretty quickly by using the search function in your PDF viewer application

In general, I'd recommend to start by going through the first chapters 1, 2 and 3 in the User Guide for the Basics - In conjunction with the 'Reaper 5 Explained' Videos.
And then have a look at chapter 13 'Manipulating and Editing MIDI' and the MIDI related Videos: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#ztr7B-PrUHY

Last edited by solger; 08-13-2017 at 01:36 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:44 AM   #8
kstn

Quote:
I've been redirected here by someone at Flipside forums after finding out FL Studio isn't compatible with my laptop specs, them saying that Reaper'd be more fit for my laptop, so I've joined to see if it's worth it to invest in Reaper for what I want to do.

I have an i317000 that performs at 2.40GHz and 8GBs of RAM. Is that enough to efficiently run Reaper?
[offtop] FL doesn't work on i3? *facepalm smile*. O tempora, o mores[/offtop]

Reaper needs practically nothing (I've runned it on Atom N450 @ 1.66GHz), so is your computer enough for efficiently running depends on plugins which you use. And there is a killer feature - "freeze" - which helps if your pc is not enough power.

Quote:
FL Studio has a far nicer interface, unless Reaper's is cutstomisable?
Yes, at the first glance Reaper may seems not very nice and non-userfriendly, but if you will puzzle out it you will find that it is really more powerful than FL (and many other DAWs imho)

And it is full-functional trial version so the best way is try it.
kstn is offline   Reply With Quote