Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings

Default NEW: How to import a FCP X project into Reaper using Vordio

I have just released a budget Mac OS X application called Vordio that converts a Final Cut Pro X project into a Reaper project.

So reaper now has an easy workflow for sound post production on a FCP X video project.

Although Vordio is a Mac OS application, the resulting Reaper project will open fine on Windows if moved.

I will be adding support for other Mac based video editors in future (starting with FCP 7 which is still in use quite a bit).

It does not use any 'standard' intermediate formats such as OMF/AAF because these are such a mine field I just avoided them and decided to convert directly.

You can find out more about Vordio 1.0 and how to use it here..

http://vordio.net
Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
danfuerth

Nice tool.

Actually I know a lot of editors who switched to Media Composer 6 or Premiere Pro 6 ( with the mercury engine)
after the Final Cut X fiasco, features removed. That sure was a stupid move on apple.

But I think they may be cutting the cord for video and audio pro's. As the money is in $500 Iphones and Tablets.
They haven't done much with the Mac Pro's.

Taking out multicam, output to monitor, Print to tape and other features was a dumb ass move.. they added it after as an "enhancement" to Final Cut X lol.

Not that it bothers me as I use my friends studio and they run Media Composer 6 and Vegas Pro 11 for any video editing needs. I fix any issues they have with hardware so it works both ways.

Last edited by danfuerth; 08-23-2012 at 11:20 AM.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
[...] But I think they may be cutting the cord for video and audio pro's. As the money is in $500 Iphones and Tablets. [...]
Perhaps that's where the bulk of the money is, but still, I can't see how any video pro would not love to edit video on a retina MBP - I haven't seen any other brand with such an awesome laptop display yet.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfuerth View Post
Nice tool.

Taking out multicam, output to monitor, Print to tape and other features was a dumb ass move.. they added it after as an "enhancement" to Final Cut X lol.

Not that it bothers me as I use my friends studio and they run Media Composer 6 and Vegas Pro 11 for any video editing needs. I fix any issues they have with hardware so it works both ways.
Releasing FCPX before it was actually finished but using the word "Pro" from the beginning was a massive PR mistake on apple's part. If they had released it as a unfinished "preview" then I doubt people would have freaked out.

However, FCP X now doe have pretty much everything that was missing with the exception of proper audio export. I have a sneaky feeling they will not add sound export and soon a new apple audio app will appear or they will add audio mixing in FCP X. I really like FCP X now over other editors with only 2 complaints which are not show stoppers.

I will add support to Vordio for other mac based video editors later when I get the chance.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
mrlimbic

Just to verify that Vordio actually does a proper conversion. Here are some screen before/after screen shot attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FCPX-Project.jpg (28.8 KB, 1436 views)
File Type: jpg Vordio-Result.jpg (44.2 KB, 525 views)
Old 10-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
X-Raym

That's very very cool. I'm waiting for a windows release
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
mrlimbic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomLike View Post
That's very very cool. I'm waiting for a windows release
It seems pointless doing a windows release of Vordio as it does a lot of transcoding which requires all original project drives online. As FCPX is mac only and project drives are usually HFS+ formatted not PC, they can't be read without extra software installed.

For me to work around this seems like a lot of work for almost no benefit. Most FCP X editors who want to export stuff will do the export on their Mac first, then give the sound person the Reaper project, which of course can be run on windows. Any mac specific files such as CAFs are transcoded to ones that work on both windows & mac such as WAV. Vordio also uses some apple tools (such as afconvert) under the hood which I would have to find alternatives for on windows.

The upshot, is Vordio is really a program you give to the film editor, so they can give a complete Reaper project to the sound person. I've had nice feedback from people exporting complete feature films without issues, so confident the latest release works well.

Vordio is now on v3.0.1 which is way more robust than the first version was which I originally did it quickly to solve a problem I had at the time. It also has a free and a pro version now. The pro version after the initial conversion, organises the reaper project in a much more convenient way for mixing such as grouping all tracks with same number of channels, translates some automation etc.

FCP X has also come a long way since the first release which had a lot of stuff missing. Apple still has not bothered adding decent audio export though. My guess is they hope to snare people into Logic which apparently the new version can now import an FCP X project.

http://vordio.net/download/

Last edited by mrlimbic; 10-06-2013 at 06:20 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
airon

30 pounds is a small price for such functionality. Nice move letting people use a free version to verify conversion quality.

I'll certainly keep this in mind.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
boka

Awesome!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:56 AM   #10
mrlimbic

Reading what I wrote above made me laugh.

Vordio has had so many updates since then that it now does many things I said it wouldn't do!

Here are a few more recent features:

* There is a Windows version now
* Supports other NLEs that can export XML such as Premiere, Lightworks, Resolve.
* You can also turn off the copy/transcode function for a 'link only' mode rather than 'self contained' mode for projects. You will have to relink the files in REAPER.
* Useful metadata is shown in audio item notes such as scene/takes/markers/regions.

I have just updated the home page with more up to date information about Vordio features.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by mrlimbic; 11-08-2015 at 03:47 AM.
mrlimbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #11
Tim Rideout

Hi there,

Simple question relating to this thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2046394

Can my editor export an XML file from FCP on his end and I just convert it using Vordio on my end?

Thanks!

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlimbic View Post
Reading what I wrote above made me laugh.

Vordio has had so many updates since then that it now does many things I said it wouldn't do!

Here are a few more recent features:

* There is a Windows version now
* Supports other NLEs that can export XML such as Premiere, Lightworks, Resolve.
* You can also turn off the copy/transcode function for a 'link only' mode rather than 'self contained' mode for projects. You will have to relink the files in REAPER.
* Useful metadata is shown in audio item notes such as scene/takes/markers/regions.

I have just updated the home page with more up to date information about Vordio features.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
X-Raym

@Tim Rideout
This is the exact purpose of vordio :P
Unless you need to transcode some files, you don't need the audio.

You can use the trial version if in doubt, on small projects.

Quote:
The free unlicensed version has a 3 minute timeline length limit for the translated project file, but ALL media for the full project will still be transcoded/copied.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote