Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Tyrannocaster
Human being with feelings

Default Installing Reaper rather than using as portable

I got Reaper to work straight off by just using the portable version that extracted on my second drive. When I tried to install it onto my system disk suddenly there was no audio - it wanted Jack, but setting it to Alsa didn't work, either. So I uninstalled it using the provided script. Then instead of installing it I used the "Add Desktop Integration" option in the script but just left it where it was - that seems to have worked, as I can run it now with audio, plus it is recognized by the OS and appears in the menus. But during both this operation and the previous install attempt I got this string of errors:

Installing desktop integration.../usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 856: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
grep: /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 858: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
/usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 860: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
mv: cannot stat '/etc/gnome/defaults.list.new': No such file or directory
/usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 856: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
/usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 858: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
/usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 860: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
/usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: 856: /usr/bin/xdg-desktop-menu: cannot create /etc/gnome/defaults.list.new: Permission denied
kbuildsycoca5 running...
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in "/home/ben/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"

Since it seems to be working, can I assume it's safe to ignore all that? This is with Linux Lite, based on Ubuntu.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Snap

Did you run the script with elevated privileges... I mean, tipically using sudo?

If not the script won't be allowed to write anything outside home. i.e. /etc/gnome

You can always install it locally (just for your user) instead of system-wide not needing special privileges if you're up to it.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
Tyrannocaster

Yes, I used sudo. It seems to work fine, so I'm going to ignore the "permission denied" warnings.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Snap

They shouldn't harm for Reaper to work fine. The warnings are related to the DE setup. If you don't use gnome you may never notice a thing.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
They shouldn't harm for Reaper to work fine. The warnings are related to the DE setup. If you don't use gnome you may never notice a thing.
Thanks. I am using XFCE, but occasionally I see things that use Gnome flash by. :-) Reaper does seem to work fine. It's a learning experience, switching to Linux for my daily use computer, that's for sure.

Off topic, but can anyone recommend a Linux help-type forum? The one for Linux Lite is fine as far as it goes, but it's very small, with not too many posts. More and more of my questions seem to relate less to my OS specifically and more to Linux and how it does things in general.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #6
Snap

Quote:
I see things that use Gnome flash
I doesn't matter. Using some gnome stuff here and there or gnome as a desktop environment is not the same.

OT: I'm always amazed why flash is still needed for something these days. I haven't needed it at all for years.

Back on-topic, well, somewhat...

Linux-lite is a *buntu, isn't it? There you go. Besides the (surely) small distro specifics, what applies to buntu applies to LinuxLite. Also the Linux Mint forums can be good ones to begin with (again, skimming the specifics). And more general LinuxQuestions.org

And of course...

https://linuxmusicians.com/

Last edited by Snap; 10-02-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post

OT: I'm always amazed why flash is still needed for something these days. I haven't needed it at all for years.

https://linuxmusicians.com/
LOL, I didn't mean things that use *Gnome Flash*, I meant that occasionally I see Gnome things FLASH BY, as for example, when installing something and the list of stuff zips past in the terminal, and then it seems like there's always something with Gnome listed.

I don't use this Linux machine much for music, but I didn't know about that site: thanks. What I do use it for (besides regular internet stuff and daily chores) is practicing. There, I just use GTick as a metronome and Reaper as a super-metronome and idea recorder. All the heavyweight recording gets done on my Windows machine.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 AM   #8
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
LOL, I didn't mean things that use *Gnome Flash*, I meant that occasionally I see Gnome things FLASH BY
Oh... LOL