Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
Teque86
Human being with feelings

Default Changing Tempo/Speed/Pitch to Avoid Youtube Copyright

Hello, I'm doing some covers of some songs for youtube.
I mainly use reaper to record my instruments, it's all ok.

In my last video I used a backing track and only played the guitar part of the song.
Thing is Youtube doesn't let me upload the video, well it does let me but it mutes my audio because it's owned by WARNER MUSIC GROUP - WMG.

Now many people have been protesting against this issue, but it envolves too much money and it never leads to nothing. So everyone that does covers on youtube do a little trick.

You pick the backing track, open it in Audacity and use an effect called Change Tempo. This makes the file irrecognizable for WMG. So they don't mute the sound.

But in Audacity when I do this to my song, it warps the sound, makes the song all messy, and I'm sure this can be done in Reaper with much more quality.

I'm just asking how can this be done? In Audacity you just select the track, go to effects and click change tempo, select the tempo and you're done, is it much more complicated in Reaper?

Greetings,

Diogo Teque
Teque86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
stupeT

No. Just use the play rate adjustor. Item properties, for example.

This will by no means affect the bad legal situation, though.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
Teque86

I just want a solution to that legal situation, changing pitch or tempo can solve the problem for what i've heard.

What you think I can do? (the most simple way)
Old 09-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
stupeT

As I already wrote. Change the play rate of your imported wav. Right-click the item and go to properties...
Old 09-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
Teque86

oh. i thought you meant that it will not change the "illegal" copyright stuff..
Old 09-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
captain caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teque86 View Post
Of course it won't change that, neither will stretching it in Adobe Audition. The legal problem is that you didn't write the songs, arrange them, produce them, record them, master them, promote them and tour with them.

Just because stretching the tracks confuses these filters that detect exact matches doesn't mean that everyone is cool with people posting stretched versions.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Teque86

i know the law... but i still think it is really dumb.

music is about sharing. WMG is making it hard.
spent 4 weeks making a cover of a song, and now the audio gets muted... well i still understand but i do not agree.

so i just want to upload the video with audio not muted, i'm not making money with this song, it's just for fun.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
Mich

Quote:
It won't solve the illegality at all, it will only avoid Youtube's automatic detection of the audio, WMG still has the right to request Youtube and Youtube might just update their software.

Anyway if you are using Youtube and your covers for _educational purposes_ and don't make any profit on it, e.g. you cover a song to get feedback from the Youtube community on your educational progress in playing and/or singing that specific song, it should be fair use under 17 U.S.C. § 107. You should be able to fill out the fair use formula in the admin panel of the muted video. But please note that you should first check if your use is really fair use under 17 U.S.C. § 107, also muting the audio of the original recording and only including _your_ playing in the video will further support your fair use claims.
The other way to legally get music by WMG on to Youtube would be to license it from WMG but I guess that option is out of question.

Disclaimer: This is _no_ legal guidance and I'm _not_ a lawyer.
Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Mich

Quote:
spent 4 weeks making a cover of a song, and now the audio gets muted... well i still understand but i do not agree.
So how long do you think did the artist spend on _writing_, _recording_, _producing_, _mixing_ and then _promoting_ (so you are now even aware of) the music?

Enough said. See if you're usage falls under the fair use doctrine and if so fill the appropriate concern at Youtube otherwise respect the copyright of others.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Alistair S

Quote:
I just want a solution to that legal situation, changing pitch or tempo can solve the problem for what i've heard.

What you think I can do? (the most simple way)
Honestly, the most simple way is to only post up your own work.

Well, you did ask!
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Teque86

it's only the voice that is not mine, drums, bass, keys, guitars are all mine.

only the voice isn't
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
kenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair S View Post
Honestly, the most simple way is to only post up your own work.
+1. Create something new instead of using something old without permission.
kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
DVDdoug

Quote:
Just because you think the law is dumb doesn't mean you can ignore it.

Quote:
It's also a business and a livelihood for some artists. By law (and by long Western tradition) it's up to the songwriter if they want to share the song for free or to sell it. Except once the song is published, here in the U.S. there is a "compulsory license" and the songwriter can't stop you from recording & distributing the song as long as you pay the fees (about 10 cents per distributed copy), and you can freely perform "cover" songs in public as long as the venue has paid the appropriate fees. (I believe Internet publication requires specific permission.)

Quote:
i'm not making money with this song, it's just for fun.
Legally, that doesn't matter. You simply don't have the right to publish or distribute the song if you didn't write it yourself or buy the rights.

There is one loophole. You are allowed to create a parody. But the automatic filters might block this too.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 09-01-2010 at 02:45 PM.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
koolkeys

Quote:

only the voice isn't
Doesn't matter. First of all, even if just one thing "isn't yours", it's not technically legal to post.

Second, just because you PERFORM the parts, doesn't mean they are yours to automatically share. They don't become "yours". The copyright holder still has the rights.

Brent
koolkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #15
tls11823

This is a forum devoted to the creation of music, where many people are proud of their own creations. I doubt that you'll find too many here that are sympathetic to your desire to find ways around the copyright laws. If you create something of your own, you have to right to let others do what they want with it. But people that make their livings off of their songwriting talent and their initiative have the legal and ethical right to get any payment from that material, regardless of how "unfair" you think it is.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
sumpm1

I do alot of acoustic covers on youtube; so I sympathize with Teque86. I don't think it's cool to circumvent copyright for the purposes of making money, but like Teque86, I do it for fun, practice, and recognition. Also, what artist wouldn't be FLATTERED that you though their music was worthy of a cover? It is a compliment to the artist. I doubt artists would deny the requests made by the op. Also, I don't think "just make your own music" is the ultimate answer. If we were talking about stealing or downloading music, it would be one thing; that's what I see as copyright and dangerous infringement. But absolutely loving to PLAY the artist's songs, and wanting to play that great song for others on an instrument or vocal or karaoke cover is a WHOLE different story. Would the artist get mad if you covered their song at a large venue? Doubtful.

So I think this is copyright abuse by the RIAA.
sumpm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #17
moliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpm1 View Post
I doubt artists would deny the requests made by the op.
I doubt that too, but it doesn't remove the fact that you SHOULD ask for permission.
Quote:
Would the artist get mad if you covered their song at a large venue? Doubtful.
doubtful, because you are allowed to under most performance licensing systems. The venue pays licensing fees that go to the songwriters of any songs played (including yours if you are a member) (through some stupid convoluted process of course, I'm no fan of the RIAA in any case)
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
Caustic

i think if you made your cover from scratch and made it different enough to the original i could accept, if i found someone had made a kareoke version of one of my songs and then sung on top of it and uploaded it to utube or wherever i would not be flattered at all, i would be highly offended, i have more respect for the person that buys my cd rips it to mp3 badly and its artwork to a blog site and lets everyone download it for free(took 3days after my last release), at least it is presented with its sleeve notes and credits and the music is how i wrote it, i will never see the point in covering a song in a similar fashion to how it was performed originally, should still sound like a completely new song, just with recocnizable lyrics and melodies.
Caustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #19
ez_willis

Quote:

only the voice isn't
and the lyrics, the melody, and performance.

if you want, you can cover one of my songs and post it on you tube. it'll be just as lame as recording someone else's music under their vocal track and posting it on youtube, but i swear i won't sue you.
ez_willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #20
PAPT

Your trick may get you past the You Tube censor, but you will still be legally liable for the copyright infringement.
PAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #21
Mich

Quote:

only the voice isn't
Short question do you have the solo vocal track? If so where did you get it?

Also why don't you post the video in question? Give some more details on the artist, the song and how exactly your cover is (whether it is a reinterpretation or just a plainly re-playing of the original).
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #22
Evan

Quote:
I'm just asking how can this be done? In Audacity you just select the track, go to effects and click change tempo, select the tempo and you're done, is it much more complicated in Reaper?
Aren't you glad you asked?
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #23
mplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich View Post

Disclaimer: This is _no_ legal guidance and I'm _not_ a lawyer.
You must be a lawyer
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
Tonehenge

Quote:

so i just want to upload the video with audio not muted, i'm not making money with this song, it's just for fun.
A composition you did not compose is not your intellectual property. We have these laws for many good reasons. If you want to share your compositions, that is your business....but this? Your rationale is simply absurd and laughable...
Old 10-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #25
microtonalyoda

Default real answer

Bunch of pharisee,canter, and hypocrite, sanctimonious users! Lol. made my day!
1st go vegan , get more moral skills, and come try again!

THE answer:

https://www.scottsmitelli.com/articl...dio-content-id (results @ end)
microtonalyoda is offline   Reply With Quote