Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-03-2018, 03:35 AM   #1
Xaos
Human being with feelings

Default Changing Project backup settings in Preferences doesn't activate Apply button (FIXED)

REAPER v 5.93, Mac 64 bit, OS X 10.10.5

When I change the backup file behavior from timestamped backups to "Keep multiple versions" or vice versa, the "Apply" button in the application Preferences window does not activate. (It's greyed out.) If I just click "OK" to close it, the behavior doesn't change. The selection sticks. I mean, the right check box is still selected when I re-open the Preferences window, but it still doesn't do what I've selected. I have to change another parameter in the Preferences to make the Apply button active. I can then push it and the backup behavior changes to reflect the setting.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #2
akademie

Confirming that in Reaper v5.79 (Win32) also checking and unchecking "Timestamp backup" and "Keep multiple versions" options does not trigger the OK button to activate.
But changes seems to be saved when pressing OK and then re-openning the dialog window (don't know if it is memorized only graphically, though...)
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Xaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Confirming that in Reaper v5.79 (Win32) also checking and unchecking "Timestamp backup" and "Keep multiple versions" options does not trigger the OK button to activate.
But changes seems to be saved when pressing OK and then re-openning the dialog window (don't know if it is memorized only graphically, though...)
Just confirmed the same behavior in REAPER 5.70 32 bit for Windows. I did this running it in wine on my Mac, but that shouldn't make a difference. To clarify, in both instances, it is the "Apply" button that does not become active, and pushing the "OK" button does not apply the change.

The two checkboxes for "Keep multiple versions" and "Timestamp backup" have very strange behavior. If one is selected, the other is greyed out (un-selectable). It is only when the currently checked feature is unchecked that the other becomes selectable. It is very unintuitive and/or buggy. It should behave like a toggle, shouldn't it? If one is checked, the other automatically unchecks. I've never seen a dialog box that exhibits that behavior.

Oh, and while I'm at it, I sure wish Cockos would revert their app icon to the beautiful one on the site instead of the crappy new one that follows the design trend of flat things that look like my little sister could have drawn them with her crayons. Google started this crap because they didn't want to hire artists, then Apple took it one step uglier by using what we call in the design industry "out of the tube" colors. I used to be able to replace the ugly new .icns file with one from an old version of REAPER in the Resources directory inside the .app package, but now they are a different file size, so REAPER won't run if I do that. Okay, sorry to get off topic. I just had to get that off of my chest.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
Xaos

Wow. I'm surprised they haven't fixed this yet. Seems like it would be a ten minute fix. It still doesn't work. You've got to change something else, then the Apply button becomes active and saves the change to the way it saves the backup files. Then you've got to open the Preferences again and change the other thing back that you didn't want to change in first place. It's a pretty important setting and a pretty easy fix. Wonder if it'll get fixed by v. 6.

We know it's broken in the OS X and Windows builds. Has anyone tried this in the Linux builds?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Xaos

Yes! Confirmed. This is working. Thank you, Cockos. You are amazing!