Old 05-09-2023, 11:16 AM   #721
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by djabthrash View Post
I installed the latest version of the EuCon Exp in Reaper and my Reaper crashes when i try to add it to my Reaper Preferences->Plugins->Control/OSC/Web section, even if close Reaper and restart it (Reaper crashes right away when i restart).

Version found here :
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42522/EuCon%20Exp.zip

Uploaded On
October 01, 2022 at 07:23 PM
Size
785.03 KB

Reaper version : v6.79 - April 23 2023
Running a PC with Windows 7 64 bits.

Both files (reaper_csurf_eucon.dll and reaper_csurf_eucon64.dylib) were put in the following folder on my Reaper computer :
AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins

I could see and select "EuCon" in the Control Surface Mode list, but once selected and pressing ok Reaper gets me the following message and crashes (and does the same if i restart Reaper) :
ReaScript console output :
"EuConManager: : Initialize() failed with code: 46 "

The only to get Reaper to start without crashing is to remove the 2 files from the following folder on my Reaper computer :
AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins

If i put only the following file back in the folder, Reaper crashes the same way again :
reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll

If i put only the following file back in the folder, Reaper doesn't crash but i can't see EuCon in the dropdown menu :
reaper_csurf_eucon.dylib

So my understanding is that i need both files in the folder to see EuCon, BUT the dll file makes my reaper crash...
The reaper_csurf_eucon.dylib is for Mac only, you should remove that one.

Are you successfully running EuControl before you start Reaper ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:18 AM   #722
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
The reaper_csurf_eucon.dylib is for Mac only, you should remove that one.

Are you successfully running EuControl before you start Reaper ?
Thank you !

NB : as i said though, adding the dll file alone makes my Reaper crash on startup, so it's unusable for me right now

Question : how can i run EuControl without starting Reaper ? Not sure what you mean by that.

Last edited by djabthrash; 05-09-2023 at 11:26 AM.
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 12:19 PM   #723
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Thank you !

NB : as i said though, adding the dll file alone makes my Reaper crash on startup, so it's unusable for me right now

Question : how can i run EuControl without starting Reaper ? Not sure what you mean by that.
EuControl is an Avid app that must be running before you start Reaper.

EuControl is what communicates with the Avid Control Surfaces and also with Reaper.

You simply cannot run Reaper, Pro Tools, or any other DAW without EuControl running if you want to use Avid surfaces.

Have you installed EuControl ?
Old 05-09-2023, 08:51 PM   #724
jonat8han

Hey Geoff,

Wanted to reiterate my appreciation for all the work you've done! Not being able to get eucon running in Reaper on my new mac studio/ventura setup is really the only bummer I'm experiencing. Anything you can suggest to try would be greatly appreciated. I can pretty consistently get it to work for awhile, but very slow to make new tracks, switch focus, etc, and it no longer banks with track selection as it did on my Big Sur/intel mini setup. After a few minutes I lose connection to my S1 entirely (only in reaper)

Granted I was using an older version of your extension on that machine.

Sorry to bug you! Let me know if I can provide any further details or test anything for you.
jonat8han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:14 PM   #725
djabthrash

Quote:
EuControl is an Avid app that must be running before you start Reaper.

EuControl is what communicates with the Avid Control Surfaces and also with Reaper.

You simply cannot run Reaper, Pro Tools, or any other DAW without EuControl running if you want to use Avid surfaces.

Have you installed EuControl ?
I didn't know that so thank you a ton !
Gonna try that then !

EDIT : EuControl succesfully installed and now running on my PC computer (the one with Reaper) through these links :
https://my.avid.com/esd/Product/Information/113
https://my.avid.com/esd/Product/Download/2692

Then if EuControl is opened, my Reaper doesn't crash anymore upon startup if the "reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll" file in my "AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins" folder, and i can see "EuCon" in the Control Surface list by default in Reaper.
Now i need to figure out how to connect the Avid Control App on my android phone to my computer with Reaper and EuControl...

Last edited by djabthrash; 05-09-2023 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:08 AM   #726
djabthrash

Quote:
I didn't know that so thank you a ton !
Gonna try that then !

EDIT : EuControl succesfully installed and now running on my PC computer (the one with Reaper) through these links :
https://my.avid.com/esd/Product/Information/113
https://my.avid.com/esd/Product/Download/2692

Then if EuControl is opened, my Reaper doesn't crash anymore upon startup if the "reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll" file in my "AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins" folder, and i can see "EuCon" in the Control Surface list by default in Reaper.
Now i need to figure out how to connect the Avid Control App on my android phone to my computer with Reaper and EuControl...
Finally got to make my android phone with Avid Control App to work with Reaper on my Windows PC after spending a couple of hours struggling with it, and it now works like a charm.
The meters (which is the main reason i decided to go with this) are really nice !

NB : if you're not on the Reaper window, the app doesn't show anything... You have to have Reaper as the active window to get the app to show things and work. Wish it wasn't the case !
NB 2 : a very important thing to get it to work if you're not familiar with EuCon like me : don't forget to add Reaper to the apps controlled by EuCon, through the EuCon menu found in your control panel (nb : i also had to select the Ethernet connection as the network interface to make it work), as seen at the 01:19 mark in the following video :
How To Setup The Avid Control App (Wavtune Music) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8QvvkV-fw&t=78s

Last edited by djabthrash; 05-10-2023 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:34 AM   #727
studiosus

Try to lock eucon to reaper in the prefs of your computer eucon app. Then eucon should stay with reaper even you have a different program window open on your computer.
It's in the desktop app: EuControl Settings/Assign Lock to application. There you have the checkboxes Entire Surface, Transport and Monitor Control Room.
I always lock all of them.
studiosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 07:50 AM   #728
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosus View Post
Try to lock eucon to reaper in the prefs of your computer eucon app. Then eucon should stay with reaper even you have a different program window open on your computer.
It's in the desktop app: EuControl Settings/Assign Lock to application. There you have the checkboxes Entire Surface, Transport and Monitor Control Room.
@studiosus : thank you ! I will try this out !
Old 05-17-2023, 08:03 AM   #729
halfordartistry

Default .dll files

Hello Geoff, I tried to extract reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll but Norton Security tells me the file is unsafe and therefore removes it. Is there a problem with the download? Thank you, Keith
halfordartistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #730
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfordartistry View Post
Hello Geoff, I tried to extract reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll but Norton Security tells me the file is unsafe and therefore removes it. Is there a problem with the download? Thank you, Keith
No problem I know of, perhaps Norton is being overly cautious.
Old 05-20-2023, 02:29 AM   #731
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiosus View Post
@studiosus : worked like a charm indeed, thank you !
Old 05-22-2023, 06:37 AM   #732
reinaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat8han View Post
Hey Geoff,

Wanted to reiterate my appreciation for all the work you've done! Not being able to get eucon running in Reaper on my new mac studio/ventura setup is really the only bummer I'm experiencing. Anything you can suggest to try would be greatly appreciated. I can pretty consistently get it to work for awhile, but very slow to make new tracks, switch focus, etc, and it no longer banks with track selection as it did on my Big Sur/intel mini setup. After a few minutes I lose connection to my S1 entirely (only in reaper)

Granted I was using an older version of your extension on that machine.

Sorry to bug you! Let me know if I can provide any further details or test anything for you.
Same issues here. Also on Ventura and the S1. The more tracks in the session, the longer it takes to add a new track. Selecting multiple channels under a folder make the faders move randomly to the point I have to turn it off and back on. After a while I loose connection to the S1 and the only way I've found to reconnect is to restart Eucon. I'd be more than happy to test any beta versions. I've gone back to a fader port in the mean time :.(
reinaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:57 AM   #733
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinaldo View Post
Same issues here. Also on Ventura and the S1. The more tracks in the session, the longer it takes to add a new track. Selecting multiple channels under a folder make the faders move randomly to the point I have to turn it off and back on. After a while I loose connection to the S1 and the only way I've found to reconnect is to restart Eucon. I'd be more than happy to test any beta versions. I've gone back to a fader port in the mean time :.(
I have a request in to Avid with regard to performance, no response so far...
Old 05-22-2023, 07:06 AM   #734
reinaldo

Quote:
Thank you very much Geoff.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:12 AM   #735
studiosus

Hi Guys,

I'm also experiencing big troubles with eucon 2022.12.1.34 and reaper. Works for maybe 5 minutes and looses connection again and again..It gets worse with multiple project tabs, but happens also with just one open project. Unfortunately pretty unusable right now.
I have two old artist mixes on a win 10 machine. So this looks like it's a general problem with eucon 2022.12, not only on the newer macs.
studiosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:22 PM   #736
halfordartistry

Default Confused.

Hello Geoff, I am somewhat confused. Your first post on this thread stated that CSI and Eucon were incompatible. Subsequently, you issued Eucon Beta with the reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll file. The latest download is CSI V3 with reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll file. Which file should I be using with the Avid Control app? Thank you, Keith.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:48 PM   #737
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hello Geoff, I am somewhat confused. Your first post on this thread stated that CSI and Eucon were incompatible. Subsequently, you issued Eucon Beta with the reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll file. The latest download is CSI V3 with reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll file. Which file should I be using with the Avid Control app? Thank you, Keith.
EuCon and CSI are not incompatible, they just don't play nice when both within CSI.

You can use CSI and EuCon together, they just each require a dll of their own.

For the EuCon Control app you need reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll -- https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42522/EuCon%20Exp.zip

For CSI you need reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll, link is below in my sig.

They coexist just fine.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 05-24-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:01 AM   #738
Old School Audio Guy

Default New EuCon project

Quote:
Boy Geoff
AVID sure is taking their sweet time
Hope you get a response soon
Cheers
Perry
Old School Audio Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #739
reinaldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School Audio Guy View Post
Boy Geoff
AVID sure is taking their sweet time
Hope you get a response soon
Cheers
Perry
No kidding. Avid is tempting me to abandon all of their products altogether. My Avid S1 is pretty much useless at this point as I no longer use PT. I do appreciate Geoff's amazing work.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:51 AM   #740
Nick Morris

Quote:
No kidding. Avid is tempting me to abandon all of their products altogether. My Avid S1 is pretty much useless at this point as I no longer use PT. I do appreciate Geoff's amazing work.
I would love to do the same except that I can't find a suitable control surface. They are all lacking in some way.

Geoff's Eucon has allowed me to work how I want for now. If this Reaper Eucon ever gets updated deeper I'll be in heaven.
Old 05-29-2023, 12:20 PM   #741
halfordartistry

Quote:
EuCon and CSI are not incompatible, they just don't play nice when both within CSI.

You can use CSI and EuCon together, they just each require a dll of their own.

For the EuCon Control app you need reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll -- https://stash.reaper.fm/v/42522/EuCon%20Exp.zip

For CSI you need reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll, link is below in my sig.

They coexist just fine.
I had already installed all the necessary files in the correct directories. Eucon Control operates as expected for transport and fader movement. However the meters have only illuminated on one occasion (last week). CSI does not seem to work at all. As Android device not offered in assignment category would I be correct assuming that Android devices are not supported? Thank you, Keith
Old 05-29-2023, 12:34 PM   #742
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I had already installed all the necessary files in the correct directories. Eucon Control operates as expected for transport and fader movement. However the meters have only illuminated on one occasion (last week). CSI does not seem to work at all. As Android device not offered in assignment category would I be correct assuming that Android devices are not supported? Thank you, Keith
Ok, let's sort this out.

Are you saying that the latest version of the EuCon software works with EuCon Control, except for the meters ?

Are you saying that CSI does not work with Android ?

You would need to use Touch OSC with CSI for Android.

Please clarify a bit, sounds like we are talking about 2 separate things, unless I am missing something.

The EuCon software is EuCon only and the CSI software is MIDI and OSC.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:15 PM   #743
halfordartistry

Quote:
Ok, let's sort this out.

Are you saying that the latest version of the EuCon software works with EuCon Control, except for the meters ?

Are you saying that CSI does not work with Android ?

You would need to use Touch OSC with CSI for Android.

Please clarify a bit, sounds like we are talking about 2 separate things, unless I am missing something.

The EuCon software is EuCon only and the CSI software is MIDI and OSC.
Yes, the Eucon software with reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll work with Eucon Control, except for the meters. I am confused because the the current link on the thread shows the CSI v3 link i.e reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll.

Do I need to download Touch OSC app to use CSI software?
Old 05-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #744
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes, the Eucon software with reaper_csurf_eucon64.dll work with Eucon Control, except for the meters. I am confused because the the current link on the thread shows the CSI v3 link i.e reaper_csurf_integrator64.dll.

Do I need to download Touch OSC app to use CSI software?
Ah, I think I see what's going on.

The link in my signature (in blue) is for CSI, not EuCon.

Unfortunately, the signature is tied to my user ID, and doesn't change on a per thread basis, admittedly that is confusing when I post on this thread.

The link for the EuCon software is in the first post of this thread, that's the one to use for EuCon https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255955

The meters are working fine here with EuCon Control and iOS, as they are for most users on this thread. Maybe a version problem with EuControl, or the Android app ?

Everyone I know uses TouchOSC with CSI and iOS/Android, probably best to post that question in the CSI thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=278718
Old 05-29-2023, 02:16 PM   #745
halfordartistry

Quote:
Ah, I think I see what's going on.

The link in my signature (in blue) is for CSI, not EuCon.

Unfortunately, the signature is tied to my user ID, and doesn't change on a per thread basis, admittedly that is confusing when I post on this thread.

The link for the EuCon software is in the first post of this thread, that's the one to use for EuCon https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=255955

The meters are working fine here with EuCon Control and iOS, as they are for most users on this thread. Maybe a version problem with EuControl, or the Android app ?

Everyone I know uses TouchOSC with CSI and iOS/Android, probably best to post that question in the CSI thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=278718
Hello Geoff, at least my confusion has been cleared.

I used the Eucon software link as posted above some time ago and it works fine with Avid Control. I guess I shall have to continue trying to get the meters illuminating. It was strange that they did light up for one session last week.

Thank you for your help. Keith
Old 06-08-2023, 04:36 PM   #746
Old School Audio Guy

Quote:
Don't feel bad I have an old Artist system
3 mixers
1 Control
1 Transport
and they are trying to get you to switch to new gear
Well I don't feel so bad I was abandoned by Avid Years ago
They wanted me to buy new gear as well
Typical AVID only looks for the next dollar instead of supporting existing users
At this point, I am seriously considering selling my entire control surface on Reverb
and just using the menus and perhaps getting a new dedicated keyboard and to Hell with all the faders and AVID They truly SUCK!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2023, 09:59 AM   #747
Nick Morris

Eucon no longer works alongside CSI. If you add CSI it disconnects Eucon.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #748
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Eucon no longer works alongside CSI. If you add CSI it disconnects Eucon.
Just tried it here on my Mac M1 mini with EuControl version 2022.12.1.34 and the latest EuControl on my iPad, works fine alongside CSI.

What is your system configuration ?

[edit] Ah, managed to get the behaviour you see.

If you already have EuCon installed and you add CSI, EuCon does indeed stop working.

I found 2 options, either:

1) Restart Reaper.

or

2) Remove EuCon and re add it.

Last edited by Geoff Waddington; 06-14-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:47 PM   #749
Old School Audio Guy

Hi Geoff
I take it you still have had no response from AVID?
I am having a few issues I have not had before
1. the Pan indicators on the Reaper mixer move in Real-time and do work
but there is no change indicated on the avid mixer.
2. None of the faders move in real-time on the Reaper mixer until I remove my finger and then jump to where the end of the move is so no ability to fade up or down.
I have not experienced this before maybe I have a setting wrong or my controller system has gotten too big 3 mixers, 1 Control, and 1 transport.
My Eucon software is 2022.4.0.78 and the version is 4.8.6.78
Windows 10 all updates 32MB Ram 1TB system drive
I must have missed something but am not sure.
Sure wish we would get an update on the Reaper Eucon software
so many buttons That I can't access
considering and X control to work with CSI tired of being left out by AVID
Any and all Help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for all your work
Cheers
Perry
Old 07-19-2023, 06:26 PM   #750
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Geoff
I take it you still have had no response from AVID?
Correct.

Quote:
I am having a few issues I have not had before
1. the Pan indicators on the Reaper mixer move in Real-time and do work
but there is no change indicated on the avid mixer.
2. None of the faders move in real-time on the Reaper mixer until I remove my finger and then jump to where the end of the move is so no ability to fade up or down.
I have not experienced this before maybe I have a setting wrong or my controller system has gotten too big 3 mixers, 1 Control, and 1 transport.
My Eucon software is 2022.4.0.78 and the version is 4.8.6.78
Windows 10 all updates 32MB Ram 1TB system drive
I must have missed something but am not sure.
I haven't changed anything, so yeah, likely something with your setup.

Quote:
Sure wish we would get an update on the Reaper Eucon software
so many buttons That I can't access considering and X control to work with CSI tired of being left out by AVID
Any and all Help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for all your work
Cheers
Perry
I got rid of all my Avid stuff and got a Behringer X Touch Universal that I use with CSI, couldn't be happier.

I can easily access:

Code:
Tracks
Sends
Receives
Folders
VCAs
FX Menu
FX auto map
FX Learn
Automation
Metronome and settings
Zoom
Timeline navigation
and a bunch more stuff I'm forgetting right now

The scribble strips support different colours, I have mine set to Track colours whilst in Track mode, all Yellow for FX Menu, etc., etc.

The performance is instantaneous compared to EuCon.

Matter of fact the performance is the one thing I have been battling for 9 years with EuCon, was hoping to get some help from Avid this go around, but alas...

Seems crazy that MIDI can beat Ethernet, but modern usb MIDI is so performant, and the EuCon software itself so clunky, that is indeed the case.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:04 PM   #751
Old School Audio Guy

Thanks Geoff
Old 07-24-2023, 12:33 AM   #752
Old School Audio Guy

I have decided to sell all my AVID Artist systems 1 transport 1 control and 3 mixers
Maybe someone here will be interested. If not then time for Reverb.com
Even though my inclination is the chipper/shred them all and send the little pieces to AVID along with a long Nastygram. Not that they would care. I really could use the money I have health issues I need to take care of. I have spent more time trying to work with these, repairing them, and making sure everything is up to date than getting any work done.
They all work and are in perfect shape. wish I could find someone in my area that could pick them up, but will probably wind up listing them on Reverb.com and lose even more money. I won't replace them with anything else Im 66 and tired and would just like to play my guitar and go fishing. If anyone is interested in the complete system just let me know.
It's been real
Cheers
Old 07-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #753
themixtape

Hey Geoff! This link in the first page of this thread-- is that the main/final EuCon thing for Reaper / Artist Mix? Just checking... I'm still a bit new to EuCon and eventually, CSI... thank you sir!
Old 07-28-2023, 04:03 PM   #754
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Hey Geoff! This link in the first page of this thread-- is that the main/final EuCon thing for Reaper / Artist Mix? Just checking... I'm still a bit new to EuCon and eventually, CSI... thank you sir!
Yup, that's the one.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:18 PM   #755
themixtape

Installed bot the dylib and dll files into UserPlugins-- trying to add as a Control Surface-- some pop-up window shows up, then Reaper crashes completely.

Can't think what I'm doing wrong... thanks Geoff!

the window says

ReaScript console output

EuConManager::Initialize() failed with code: 46
Old 08-01-2023, 01:14 AM   #756
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Installed bot the dylib and dll files into UserPlugins-- trying to add as a Control Surface-- some pop-up window shows up, then Reaper crashes completely.

Can't think what I'm doing wrong... thanks Geoff!

the window says

ReaScript console output

EuConManager::Initialize() failed with code: 46
You don't need both the dll and dylib.

The dll is for Windows, the dylib is for Mac.

Sounds like you haven't installed and configured EuControl, the software that is needed in order for the units to communicate with any DAW software -- not just CSI.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:00 AM   #757
themixtape

Hi Geoff, you were right. It wasn't fully installed right. Plus I had to restart. Then, everything worked, no crashes.

Small favor if at ALL possible... is there any way whatsoever to get the track select happening from the SEL button near the screens, and the ON button (also near the screens) to arm that track?

The buttons that are right next to 0 on the faders are insanely cumbersome / annoying. I bump the faders accidentally every single time I select that track, or arm it.

There's got to be a way to make that small tweak, somewhow (with Artist Mix).

Let me know, thank you SO much!
Old 08-03-2023, 03:23 AM   #758
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Geoff, you were right. It wasn't fully installed right. Plus I had to restart. Then, everything worked, no crashes.

Small favor if at ALL possible... is there any way whatsoever to get the track select happening from the SEL button near the screens, and the ON button (also near the screens) to arm that track?

The buttons that are right next to 0 on the faders are insanely cumbersome / annoying. I bump the faders accidentally every single time I select that track, or arm it.

There's got to be a way to make that small tweak, somewhow (with Artist Mix).

Let me know, thank you SO much!
Yeah, the placement of those things is ridiculous, another reason why I got rid of mine, and why they are so inexpensive on the used market

EuCon, doesn't roll like that, they dictate what controls are and what they do.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:28 AM   #759
themixtape

Damn.

Yeah, it's definitely a shit-show with the placement of those. But everything else, I LOVE.

The EuCon option for "select track with fader touch" is a nice compromise, for sure. But yeah, I want so badly to use the SEL and ON buttons at the top for this shit. It just makes so, so much sense. I don't even know what the hell the point of them is, unless it's some Pro Tools-specific thing. Like, why have SEL at the top, and also ASSIGN SEL in the middle. And why is there ON up top, and also ON (the mute button)? Still, a dope device.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:40 AM   #760
themixtape

Also.... I saw this in your video-- when you add new tracks... it does lag quite a bit, and sometimes if you add like 5 at once (CTRL+T, quickly)... Reaper will completely crash to desktop.

How do I avoid issues with this? I can't remember what the solution was... if any. Thanks man!