Old 08-24-2023, 11:31 AM   #601
Sexan
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
fingers crossed. I think that feature could combine everything. Automatically being in comping mode when using the lane window while being able to handle the TCP the normal way. Damn that could be soooo delicious.
Just curious whats your zoom preferences for 30+ takes?
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:43 AM   #602
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Just curious whats your zoom preferences for 30+ takes?
It's not really usable at the moment with this amount of takes...

I'm dreaming of a separate lane window where the lanes exist without showing the track itself. Just lane numbers and items where we can scroll through without affecting the TCP. That could be wonderful. You could use it docked or fullscreen and vertically zoom if you want. Ideally with optionally pinned destination lane at the top, so it's always visible.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:46 AM   #603
deeb

hi guys! can anyone tell me why is necessary to have comp on or off?

i can see the modifiers change default left click, and items get 2 regions bottom and top but what else?

i would prefer all this operations could be done with modifiers only. I want my marquee and double click to edit midi item always there
Old 08-24-2023, 11:53 AM   #604
Gass n Klang

the comp areas are still there until you turn off comping. I normally comp from untouched raw lanes and edit the comp lane further after that. turning of comping lets me use razor edit and everything behaves normally.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #605
deeb

I don't know what is this!: i double clicked expecting i would be opening midi editor. Lane called E1 was created.

Last edited by deeb; 08-24-2023 at 12:12 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #606
deeb

Is saying “move areas” in the left bottom corner. It is very bad icon:

Last edited by deeb; 08-24-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #607
Gass n Klang

turn off comping then it should work...
Old 08-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #608
deeb

Quote:
the comp areas are still there until you turn off comping. I normally comp from untouched raw lanes and edit the comp lane further after that. turning of comping lets me use razor edit and everything behaves normally.
I think it would be better workflow if we could see those areas anyway, select them, move them, marquee them, move things into them, as we normally and are used to.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:11 PM   #609
Vagelis

Quote:

I'm dreaming of a separate lane window where the lanes exist without showing the track itself. Just lane numbers and items where we can scroll through without affecting the TCP. That could be wonderful. You could use it docked or fullscreen and vertically zoom if you want. Ideally with optionally pinned destination lane at the top, so it's always visible.
Sorry but I fail to see any difference on scrolling a "window" with 70+ lanes than doing the same with TCP, aren't you still going to scroll and zoom the same?
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 12:12 PM   #610
Sexan

Quote:

Could I ask you to check this script?
Assign it to something + mousewheel (it will flicker but nvm that)

It zooms to active lane (needs JS_API but that is broken with latest pre so use pre10)
Attached Files
File Type: lua LaneZoom.lua (2.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-24-2023, 12:14 PM   #611
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I think it would be better workflow if we could see those areas anyway, select them, move them, marquee them, move things into them, as we normally and are used to.
I don't think so. Comping for me is just finding the best parts. I then normally duplicate the comp and do all further steps there. No need to go back. And if so, you can recomp the parts you need to fix. But working with many takes is a problem. Therefor: lane window please.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:17 PM   #612
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Sorry but I fail to see any difference on scrolling a "window" with 70+ lanes than doing the same with TCP, aren't you still going to scroll and zoom the same?
nope, the window could be always zoomed in while the TCP can stay at normal zoom level. You just could hide and show it as you need it. The window could always be in "comp mode" while the TCP can be in "turn comp off" mode. If the window only shows the lanes of the selected track, you can't lose the relevant lanes by accidently scrolling too far...
Old 08-24-2023, 12:21 PM   #613
Vagelis

Quote:
nope, the window could be always zoomed in while the TCP can stay at normal zoom level. You just could hide and show it as you need it. The window could always be in "comp mode" while the TCP can be in "turn comp off" mode. If the window only shows the lanes of the selected track, you can't lose the relevant lanes by accidently scrolling too far...
I see, then maybe locking the lane height could help? Like the top lane for example, lock on a specific height so is not affected with zooming. Could be nice because having such a big change with a separate window for lanes and TCP, realistically I don't see that happening but could be wrong.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:31 PM   #614
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Could I ask you to check this script?
Assign it to something + mousewheel (it will flicker but nvm that)

It zooms to active lane (needs JS_API but that is broken with latest pre so use pre10)
hmm it doesn't do that.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #615
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
I see, then maybe locking the lane height could help? Like the top lane for example, lock on a specific height so is not affected with zooming. Could be nice because having such a big change with a separate window for lanes and TCP, realistically I don't see that happening but could be wrong.
it actually isn't a change since its not released yet :P
I just don't like zooming in and out. It takes more time and is more imprecice than just toggling the lane window on and off. Especially for all the multi monitor users out there that could be supernice. Having all the lanes on a separat monitor could be supercool.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:34 PM   #616
Sexan

Quote:
hmm it doesn't do that.
Is the track selected?
Old 08-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #617
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Is the track selected?
yep. What do you try to achieve?
Old 08-24-2023, 12:39 PM   #618
Sexan

Quote:
yep. What do you try to achieve?
Wanted to see how it feels vs default zooms (If its working correctly, it should center the active lane and zoom it). But nvm tried to test it with 25 lanes and I'm completely lost, dont even want to try anything higher than that
Old 08-24-2023, 12:47 PM   #619
Gass n Klang

Quote:
Wanted to see how it feels vs default zooms (If its working correctly, it should center the active lane and zoom it). But nvm tried to test it with 25 lanes and I'm completely lost, dont even want to try anything higher than that
yes I can imagine. You'll need to zoom in to "find" the right lane. The zoom aspect is the reason why I always voted for subtracks. A lane window could do the same thing and probably is the more reaper-friendly way. I just hope we don't have to constantly zoom in and out. That's just a workflow killer. I imagine zooming in for vocal comping. You then wanna try different guitar versions in combination with the current vocal phrase. zoom out to find the guitar track, zoom in again. Try to jump between vocal and guitar but both are at 300% size. Mute the backing vocals, zoom again...
Old 08-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #620
deeb

Quote:
I don't think so. Comping for me is just finding the best parts. I then normally duplicate the comp and do all further steps there. No need to go back. And if so, you can recomp the parts you need to fix. But working with many takes is a problem. Therefor: lane window please.
But then you wouldn’t need to worry because you would not be copying them in the first place. Visible or invisible would be the same for that workflow. For other workflows it’s good to be there and some interesting stuff will be able to be done in that way.

The point is: if comping on and off is because of being able to see the comp areas then we don’t need comping on and off. If a user does not want to see them then he doesn’t use after duplicating it (or making a subproject) and use the result in the project to develop. but other users might want to. It’s our decision and option. Otherwise the feature is limiting it self for no reason.

Also we should be able to comp as long as we have a selected lane for that. We can comp or not when we want so we don’t need an on /off switch. To limit. We decide when to use it or not.

Is my view! makes sense?

adicionally since we have preference:"Allow editing source Media While comping", i would like to keep using all the modifiers and plus the new ones for comping equaly, and do the same operations we have available in track context plus the comping ones, no exceptions .. in the end all of them are operations of the same level of importance, and i don't see why not.

PS Request: It would be good if we could have a sign of which is the active comp lane (if exist). Can be the color of the lane number, an icon or an asterix as prefix.

Last edited by deeb; 08-24-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #621
deeb

Default req:

we need to be able to marquee select comp areas, and add to selection by the typical shift + clicking.

Here i am marque selecting and delete: i would expect item and 3 areas to be removed.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:35 AM   #622
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by smandrap View Post
Remembering the previous state would be nice for a start, but I feel this behavior is counterintuitive: if I Play all lanes (for layering) and then I click "show only one lane" why would the layering disappear?

In my opinion collapsing should be a visual thing only. When collapsed we should still be able to select lanes with the arrows, but if multiple lanes are playing and the lanes are collapsed, some sort of visual indicator is needed.

Don't know if I explained myself correctly (bad English sorry), but in the end I'd like to be able to layer stuff, play all lanes, and collapse the lanes to see just one of them.
Any thoughts on this? Layering would be easier imho
smandrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:03 PM   #623
deeb

Quote:
Any thoughts on this? Layering would be easier imho
maybe show a lice cap with what you mean. I expect when something is collapsed or uncollapsed individual lanes play states don't change.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #624
smandrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
maybe show a lice cap with what you mean. I expect when something is collapsed or uncollapsed individual lanes play states don't change.
Here. I have the feeling this shouldn't happen

Quote:
Play all lanes -> Show only one lane results in only the first lane being played

smandrap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 12:16 PM   #625
deeb

Quote:
I have the feeling this shouldn't happen
yeah. I don't want that also. Doesn't make sense.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:48 AM   #626
bolgwrad

Default Fixed lanes/Loop takes booby trap

The task is to replace four BV tracks by recording new takes into a dedicated fixed-lane recording track. If I don't pause in the loop recording, I get a set of takes in a lane (the red item). Explode the takes in place, and this happens - it would help if the new takes remained selected, but they don't.

I know I'm a booby, but is it just me? Brought me to a complete halt.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #627
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Explode the takes in place, and this happens
Fixing, thanks!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 11:06 AM   #628
Vagelis

When the TCP is shown to the right the lane header appears from the wrong side. Hope that it won't be released like this, or at least to have an option to swap it to the left in theme adjuster.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:16 AM   #629
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Fixing, thanks!

Cheers, Schwa. The action/menu option "Convert takes to lanes" (ID = 42660) got me out of trouble, have assigned to Shift+Space.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:22 PM   #630
nvk

My feedback for take lanes is coming from a post-production perspective, but I wish there was a way to have new takes completely replace existing takes in the comp lane if they overlap when they are first recorded. If you are wanting to record multiple takes of a VO line for example and you are punching in the same location each time, you can get tons of splits in the comp item that are undesirable.

I also would greatly appreciate more actions and API functions for dealing with take lanes. A lot of the functionality is tied to the mouse cursor right now which makes it difficult to setup keyboard-based workflows for recording/choosing takes.
nvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 05:29 PM   #631
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvk View Post
My feedback for take lanes is coming from a post-production perspective, but I wish there was a way to have new takes completely replace existing takes in the comp lane if they overlap when they are first recorded. If you are wanting to record multiple takes of a VO line for example and you are punching in the same location each time, you can get tons of splits in the comp item that are undesirable.
Can you be more specific, maybe with a screencap? It's possible there is a workflow solution to this issue.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:44 PM   #632
nvk

Quote:
Can you be more specific, maybe with a screencap? It's possible there is a workflow solution to this issue.

Let's say what I'm recording is the same line done multiple times. It creates splits if the takes are stopped at different times when what would be ideal is to just replace the whole take.
Attached Images
File Type: gif reaper_C7gOzmKbkg.gif (133.1 KB, 352 views)
Old 09-06-2023, 05:57 PM   #633
schwa
Administrator

In this scenario you need a way to signal to REAPER that you want to replace more than just the length of the new recording, so I'd say using time selection auto-punch would be the best way to do that.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:32 PM   #634
nvk

Quote:
In this scenario you need a way to signal to REAPER that you want to replace more than just the length of the new recording, so I'd say using time selection auto-punch would be the best way to do that.

Thanks! That fixes my issue, didn't know about that interaction. Appreciate your response.

My only remaining hope is some kind of way to change the comp area for the time selection via action. Like how you can move the fixed lane up and down at mouse or for the entire track. Ideally an API to move the comp area to a specific lane, but if not just adding two new actions like "Fixed lane comp area: Move fixed lane comp area at mouse down" except it's based off of time selection.

Regardless, loving this new feature! Especially now that I know the time selection auto-punch trick.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:02 PM   #635
mschnell

The enormously versatile and new "lanes" feature needs a whole book of documentation and 20 videos by Kenny....
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 11:09 AM   #636
bolgwrad

Default Comping workflow slick-up wish

TLDR: I wish a lane could be pre-divided into comp areas by phrase, and the time selection would follow these.

There may already be a way to action this workflow, so please do shout, thx.

Four takes to comp into the top lane, using the time/loop selection to audition each section. It's at the 5th phrase in the pic.
When one phrase is comped, I comp-select the next phrase/take section (can't use the previously-comped lane though) and move the time selection accordingly.

In the 3rd take lane (yellow) below, I've pre-comped each phrase. An action for this would be awesome.
I've also got 'Move time selection' assigned to a hotkey, but it would be even awesomer if the TS could adopt the width of the comp area it's moved to.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #637
schwa
Administrator

You can shift+double-click (by default) a comp area to set the loop points to that comp area, if that helps.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:55 PM   #638
bolgwrad

Default The answer was already there.

Quote:
You can shift+double-click (by default) a comp area to set the loop points to that comp area, if that helps.
Thanks very much, I knew it had already been thought of

EDIT

Easy as ABC:
A Create a comp area from any lane
B Mouse mod to split comp area (doesn't have to be every phrase)
C Mouse mod double click on comp area to move loop selection

Cheers

Last edited by bolgwrad; 09-10-2023 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Solved
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 03:04 PM   #639
Edgemeal

I love the auto-add-comp when clicking in fixed lanes, but as someone else mentioned, I hate it when I click to the right of lane items and the right-most comp changes lanes, its a bad habit I can't seem to break,... So I changed the mouse mod fixed lane comp area left click default to this lua script, So now comp only changes lane if there is an item under mouse.

EDIT There is now an option to do this in Pre24, Thanks!
+ Media item lanes: do not change comp area source lane when clicking empty track space by default (preference in mouse modifiers settings)

Code:
-- Move comp area if item at lane under mouse.lua

local mx, my = reaper.GetMousePosition()
if reaper.GetItemFromPoint(mx, my, true) ~= nil then
  reaper.Main_OnCommand(42493, 0) -- Fixed lane comp area: Move comp area at mouse to lane under mouse
end

Last edited by Edgemeal; 09-18-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #640
Gass n Klang

I still have major problems with the way lanes are handled especially in multitrack situations.

Had a recording today with a vocal duo (in a track edit group) who mostly recorded at the same time. Some passages should be recorded individually, so both had different amount of lanes recorded. If you then do another duo recording, you lose the sync between the takes (as the current recording is on different lanes and track edit group always selects the same lane on both tracks and not the recording that started at the same time).

Last edited by Gass n Klang; 09-18-2023 at 11:33 PM.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote