Old 10-26-2023, 03:05 PM   #801
benmiller
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein View Post
It would be fantastic if "show/play only lane" also would work too.
(And could be set as a default for new tracks)
+ 1 for the default option
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:48 PM   #802
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
i think those are called tracks...
You not thinking right about that. There is track fxchain there is item fxchain and I am asking for lane fxchain and few control. Extra flexibility. You don’t need to use. But is there.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:12 PM   #803
Svein

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
You not thinking right about that. There is track fxchain there is item fxchain and I am asking for lane fxchain and few control. Extra flexibility. You don’t need to use. But is there.
I'm hoping for channel mapping per lane. Think double tracked guitars or LCR background vocals or for those into atmos/surround, imagine the possibilities..

A channel mapper in the dropdown menu on right clicking the lane header would be very clean. With the number of channels the track has.
This way it's possible to adjust lane-volumes and assign fx via the fx pin connector on the track itself. And even easier with the new container to have a fxchain on a lane

Last edited by Svein; 10-26-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Svein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:17 PM   #804
mossan

It would be nice if "Record to Lane" was also applied when "Display/Play Lane Only" is enabled.
mossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #805
Svein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossan View Post
It would be nice if "Record to Lane" was also applied when "Display/Play Lane Only" is enabled.
+1
Svein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:29 PM   #806
MonkeyBars

Default Show playing lanes

I have 2 out of 21 lanes playing. Is there any way to toggle (show) only those 2 playing lanes as visible? I couldn't find an action...
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:39 PM   #807
EpicSounds

if anyone's looking for the trick to make layering work. Right-click the record arm button, Monitor track media when recording.

And if you want to do it with loop recording you need to use this
Preferences - Audio - Loop/Lane recording
when recording and looped, add recorded media to project:
at each loop

I have something already recorded to show it in detail
Old 10-26-2023, 06:55 PM   #808
J Riley Hill

Fixed item lanes are working real nice so far!

One thing I think could be really helpful is if comp areas skipped areas that were empty. As you can see in the gif, cycling through the available lanes in the comp area ends up bringing up a some of empty areas in this project.

I think ignoring those empty areas while moving through lanes with the comp area would speed this type of workflow up a lot.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 11:31 PM   #809
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossan View Post
+ 100
Old 10-26-2023, 11:37 PM   #810
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
I have 2 out of 21 lanes playing. Is there any way to toggle (show) only those 2 playing lanes as visible? I couldn't find an action...
"disable fixed lanes" rigth clic on the lane collapse button. you'll be hearing exactly the same, if you have "offeset overlapping items vertically" it will look pretty much the same. and you can switch fixed item lanes back on any moment and the lane info and content is preserved.
Old 10-27-2023, 04:32 AM   #811
Coachz

Default Autoswitch to Fixed Item Lanes

In an effort to leave the old take system behind how about we have an option to auto switch to fixed item lanes whereby when you record a second loop the fixed lane indicators appear and a comp lane automatically gets created with a choice of the new comp options being applied from a prefs setting?

Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 04:56 AM   #812
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
In an effort to leave the old take system behind how about we have an option to auto switch to fixed item lanes whereby when you record a second loop the fixed lane indicators appear and a comp lane automatically gets created with a choice of the new comp options being applied from a prefs setting?
Yeah I suggested a couple of times the same thing too, it would be nice to set comping after recording automatically with an option. (switch comp/layer mode)
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 05:36 AM   #813
Coachz

That's cool. I know there are a lot of different use cases so they have to think of them all to make sure it fits in the schema but hopefully it does because it would make recording quite effortless and elegant.
Old 10-27-2023, 10:47 AM   #814
Coachz

I'll add that this simple custom action gets me where I want to be making it a single action to have me comping nicely. Just select your track and run the action. Yay devs.

Custom: Initiate Fixed Item Lanes
Track properties: Set fixed item lanes
Track lanes: Comp into new empty lane
Old 10-28-2023, 04:03 AM   #815
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
I'll add that this simple custom action gets me where I want to be making it a single action to have me comping nicely. Just select your track and run the action. Yay devs.

Custom: Initiate Fixed Item Lanes
Track properties: Set fixed item lanes
Track lanes: Comp into new empty lane
and with the new build can just run :

Track: Toggle comping

it will put you in comping mode no matter what the previous state of the track was.

perfect!
Old 10-31-2023, 04:48 PM   #816
spinal

Hi, I have a live band recording planned for this week. I wanted to try the new "fixed lane system" for some days before this recording to decide wether I will use it for the 1st time with a band or not.

It is not that I really like the old "takes system", but for now I will stick with it because I think the "fixed lane system" is a bit weird for now.

I have some suggestions that make sense to me:
1/ having a comp lane and the 1st lane created automatically when switching to "fixed lane".
2/ new recording should be added to the comp lane automatically (even if "comping mode" is not active)
3/ staying locked on the comp lane after a new recording (even if comping is not active)
4/ "reset all name lanes" should not rename the comp lane to a name without "C". Right now a "C1" comp lane is renamed "1". It is very strange to me.

In fact, I have the feeling that comp lanes are just "generic" lanes that can be selected for comping. I think "comp lane" should not be a "generic lane" and that their behaviour should be specific. I also think they should be visually recognisable.

I don't want to make anyone nervous, it is just my point of view and I hope it could help to make it easier to understand and faster to use during a real recording session with clients.

And by the way, I'm not coming from Pro tools, cubase or studio one. I started with Reaper and never switched for something like 15 years.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by spinal; 11-01-2023 at 04:53 AM.
spinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 06:30 AM   #817
mschnell

You can happily do the recording with the take system, as you can convert takes to lanes, if you desire.
If you do "overdubs", lanes are a lot more convenient.

I some time ago discussed here how to do and comp multi-track overdubs for band recording using lanes.
I tested to do track groups and do the comping with one track hoping that the other tracks will follow exactly. In the forum I reported that this essentially does work, but there also were situations that had issues. I did not re-test with the released v7, though.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 08:02 AM   #818
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal View Post
1/ having a comp lane and the 1st lane created automatically when switching to "fixed lane".
2/ new recording should be added to the comp lane automatically (even if "comping mode" is not active)
3/ staying locked on the comp lane after a new recording (even if comping is not active)
I think the confusion from more people regarding this, comes because lanes can be used also for layering, and the initial behavior is to record for layering. I also wanted for a long time an option to start with comping and not with layering, so I think an option to choose in which mode to activate fixed lanes(comping/layering) would solve this confusion. Regarding 3, if comping is not activated the recording does not create comps to "stay locked in the comp lane", it's just a recording which can be previewed or layered with others, not a comp like in classic takes system. But the option I mentioned could maybe solve all this.

Quote:
4/ "reset all name lanes" should not rename the comp lane to a name without "C". Right now a "C1" comp lane is renamed "1". It is very strange to me.
Agreed

Quote:
In fact, I have the feeling that comp lanes are just "generic" lanes that can be selected for comping. I think "comp lane" should not be a "generic lane" and that their behaviour should be specific. I also think they should be visually recognisable.
Yes they are generic, during the development it was also one of my concerns, I didn't want to have many comp lanes visible, even though after I found that this is really nice for cases you want to layer a comp lane with another while comping to it, but still only one of them will have comping activated.. And yet it's a bit confusing when many comp lanes are visible and only one is activated. So I would love to have an option for comp lanes to collapse/expand them separately from the rest lanes, so we could see just the one when collapsed and switch from the lane header menu, or expand to see them all when we want.

Also I would like to have an option to hide the comp areas in the comp lane. There are times that I don't want to comp in the comp lane. So it would be nice to have an action to switch showing/hiding the comp areas which imo would make comp lane look cleaner to work with at any track height.

And maybe another action for the double click context in lane header to toggle comping and collapse to one lane at the same time. This could make it feel more like a feature for comping than for layering, for the people who want to use lanes mostly that way.
(Activate comping>show all lanes, disable comping>show one lane)

Last edited by Vagelis; 11-01-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:53 AM   #819
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
an option to choose in which mode to activate fixed lanes(comping/layering) would solve this confusion
There is a general preference for this, in Preferences / Project / Track/Send Defaults, under the 'Fixed lane defaults' button.

We could add a second fixed lane choice in the track control context menu too, we've been going back and forth on whether that increase or decrease potential confusion.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:11 AM   #820
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There is a general preference for this, in Preferences / Project / Track/Send Defaults, under the 'Fixed lane defaults' button.
Sorry but I cant find the option that sets an active comp lane when switching to fixed lanes. (using the previous dev)
Old 11-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #821
schwa
Administrator

Oh, there isn't one. I was referring to the difference between fixed lanes with 'add new lanes in layers' enabled or disabled. That only controls whether newly recorded lanes play exclusively (meaning the lanes likely contain alternative takes, which may be comped), or play in addition to lanes that are already playing (meaning the lanes likely contain material that is meant to be played in layers).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #822
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Oh, there isn't one. I was referring to the difference between fixed lanes with 'add new lanes in layers' enabled or disabled. That only controls whether newly recorded lanes play exclusively (meaning the lanes likely contain alternative takes, which may be comped), or play in addition to lanes that are already playing (meaning the lanes likely contain material that is meant to be played in layers).
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I meant an option to set an active comp lane when switching to fixed lanes. Imo this is one of the things that brings confusion to people as I'm seeing in media. (E.g lanes add extra steps for comping compared to classic takes, because needs to switch to comping first). I think most people had for granted that fixed lane's basic thing is comping, but it starts with layering, that's why there's some confusion with recording as well. Also in every other DAW lanes is about comping, you switch and there's an active comp lane, but despite this, regarding Reaper I think it would be nice to have a basic preference for this behavior.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:04 PM   #823
AZpercussion

I'm agree with Vagelis. It would be nice to have an option allows to exclude extra step, just to start with comping already on.
AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #824
CoalMinerAudio

Is there any planned functionality for exporting all lanes separately?
CoalMinerAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:44 PM   #825
FeedTheCat

Quote:
I think the confusion from more people regarding this, comes because lanes can be used also for layering, and the initial behavior is to record for layering.
Yep, yep... I also agree with Vagelis and the others.

There's currently 3 steps:

1. Create track
2. Record lanes
3. Enable comping via ctrl+shift right drag or button right click menu "Comp into new empty lane, automatically creating comp areas".

Imo step 3 is a problem. It's not easy to find for novices, and it's an unnecessary step for advanced users.

I think there should be track defaults for comping and a recording option that enables comping (especially useful to novices).

My personal preference would be that the recording option enables fixed items lanes, comping, and collapse to one lane. Then everything would be really similar to classic takes. Recording looks like tape mode, but we can press the button on the TCP to expand and show all takes when necessary (like "Show all takes (when room)" action)

Custom action I'm using in the gif (and every time before recording):
Old 11-02-2023, 12:42 AM   #826
tonalstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post

wow, crazy how that small of a change makes it make way more sense in a lot of ways... definitely agree +1
tonalstates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:26 AM   #827
Vagelis

Yeah, I m also using a custom action to toggle comping and show one lane for lane header double click context. No need to use the arrow to collapse to one, just to show small/big lanes. It's nice because when I see all lanes comping is activated, and when collapse to one comping is off.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:05 AM   #828
Vagelis

Also when there's one lane and switch to comping, I m not sure we need the comp lane, the second lane and the lane add area. Lane add area.could be considered as the second lane and comp lane the first.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:37 AM   #829
Gianfini

Hi, I didn't follow the whole Track Lanes development as I was more focused on playing and producing in the last months. So I just approached to Lanes for the very first time yesterday, and tested it a bit

I'll share my first impression. I think it could be useful as a Reaper aware user but completely new-to-lanes.

- Lanes seems to be a kinda of swiss knife for doing everything, but when you want to do the most basic thing (comping) it requires a number of steps, actions, menu items to get it done, as I read it was pointed out by others here
- (alert this is bad) In my opinion comping is not a TRACK affair. It's an ITEM affair. I would have expected multi-lane ITEMS with comp lane and swiping to comp within the ITEM. This is obvious to me: when comping I might comp on the same track different areas of the song (say chorus, intro, verse) and they might have different number of takes, and sure different comping pattern, and the different Comps on the same track do not have to interact between them (e.g. now switching lanes switches lanes for all items in the track). In a way the old "takes system" used to work like this but with a less efficient comping experience than the lanes.
This system forces you in a way to have one Comp exercise per track, as far as I could test.
- I'm a fan of Reaper endless customization possibilities, but I'd have chosen one use case and optimize the Lanes for that use case without then need for users to create multi-step actions or change mouse modifiers. After that more advanced users could then adjust it to their likings. Maybe Comping was not the use case devs had in mind when releasing it...

Anyway I'll go on and test it, maybe I'll change my mind or find other suggestions

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:44 AM   #830
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Hi, I didn't follow the whole Track Lanes development as I was more focused on playing and producing in the last months. So I just approached to Lanes for the very first time yesterday, and tested it a bit

I'll share my first impression. I think it could be useful as a Reaper aware user but completely new-to-lanes.

- Lanes seems to be a kinda of swiss knife for doing everything, but when you want to do the most basic thing (comping) it requires a number of steps, actions, menu items to get it done, as I read it was pointed out by others here
- (alert this is bad) In my opinion comping is not a TRACK affair. It's an ITEM affair. I would have expected multi-lane ITEMS with comp lane and swiping to comp within the ITEM. This is obvious to me: when comping I might comp on the same track different areas of the song (say chorus, intro, verse) and they might have different number of takes, and sure different comping pattern, and the different Comps on the same track do not have to interact between them (e.g. now switching lanes switches lanes for all items in the track). In a way the old "takes system" used to work like this but with a less efficient comping experience than the lanes.
This system forces you in a way to have one Comp exercise per track, as far as I could test.
- I'm a fan of Reaper endless customization possibilities, but I'd have chosen one use case and optimize the Lanes for that use case without then need for users to create multi-step actions or change mouse modifiers. After that more advanced users could then adjust it to their likings. Maybe Comping was not the use case devs had in mind when releasing it...

Anyway I'll go on and test it, maybe I'll change my mind or find other suggestions

g
You can make one action tied to one shortcut or even a toolbar button that will take a selected lane and turn it to fixed item lanes, and toggle comping on and if you like even change to auto punch in time selection so you're ready to roll.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:34 AM   #831
alphoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post

Custom action I'm using in the gif (and every time before recording):
I can't find "track: toggle comping" action. Could it have a different name?
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 04:37 AM   #832
alphoc

Quote:
Yeah, I m also using a custom action to toggle comping and show one lane for lane header double click context. No need to use the arrow to collapse to one, just to show small/big lanes. It's nice because when I see all lanes comping is activated, and when collapse to one comping is off.
What is the exact order of the custom action you use?
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:37 AM   #833
Stroudy

Hi all,

I didn't realise there was a lengthy discussion on Track Lanes, so I'm reposting here from the pre-release thread.

I would love to hear others opinions on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroudy View Post
Sorry to circle around the topic of Lane new recording destination again - this is a slightly different point Im making here.

Because...

However...

BUt...

This is probably the desired behaviour to avoid other problems I'm not seeing. It doesn't feel right to me in my workflow, so I thought I'd flag it.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:43 AM   #834
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphoc View Post
What is the exact order of the custom action you use?
You might need the latest pre-release
Old 11-02-2023, 06:59 AM   #835
mschnell

Quote:
You can collect tracks in a group and the comping is supposed to work "in parallel".

(BTW.: multiple "lane" in items aka "old style" "takes" are still available, even for Items within lanes)
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:10 AM   #836
Gianfini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You can collect tracks in a group and the comping is supposed to work "in parallel".
What I need is different. It's not about comping together more than one track, but comping on one single track more sections of the song in subsequent moments.

I'll try to post an axample as soon as i can
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #837
Coachz

Quote:
What I need is different. It's not about comping together more than one track, but comping on one single track more sections of the song in subsequent moments.

I'll try to post an axample as soon as i can
A common problem with Reaper users like myself is we get used to one way of doing things and then learned it there are so many options in Reaper and often we can find a better way. It would be cool to see all the different ways people are comping and Reaper to help validate our own workflows.
Old 11-02-2023, 07:51 AM   #838
Gass n Klang

Default Visual improvement

I'm working on an orchestral production at the moment. I sorted all my takes in lanes for better overview and easy jumping between the different takes. As classical music isn't click based I need to take care of crossfades a lot. For that reason I jump a lot between multiple lane view (for take choice) and one lane view (for finetuning the crossfades).
I have one of the main stereo microphone tracks full vertical size and I'd love to have this track "fixed" on my screen when switching between those two modes. At the moment Reaper changes the display section for whatever reason so I have to scroll vertically a lot which is quite time consuming in total.
Old 11-02-2023, 10:05 AM   #839
benmiller

Quote:
I have some suggestions that make sense to me:
use : "Track: Toggle comping" on a new track which has no fixed lanes yet, it does excatly that.

Quote:
what's the issue with having to have comping on? either it's on and it does what you want, either it's off and it has the other behaviour.

using "Track: Toggle comping" and then recording does 1/, 2/ and 3/ with no extra steps.

Quote:
well it does exactly what it says does. But maybe an action "reset all name lanes execpet comping lanes" could be helpful.

Quote:
what would you gain if the comp lane was "only " a comp lane?

visually per default it's at the top and named C... which makes it already pretty recognisable i would say.

Quote:
I don't want to make anyone nervous, it is just my point of view and I hope it could help to make it easier to understand and faster to use during a real recording session with clients.

And by the way, I'm not coming from Pro tools, cubase or studio one. I started with Reaper and never switched for something like 15 years.

Have a nice day!
Old 11-02-2023, 10:16 AM   #840
benmiller

Quote:
Sorry but I cant find the option that sets an active comp lane when switching to fixed lanes. (using the previous dev)
did you try this "Track: Toggle comping" ? a creates a coming lane if none exists, and sets the track to fixed lanes if it wasn't in that mode yet.