Old 04-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
DeeperDeeper
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to create beats in Reaper?

I find a lot of videos about creating beats (trap or hip hop) with FL Studio, but what is the easy way in Reaper to do this?

Fl Studio look pretty easy and flexible. Would be great to have something like this in Reaper?
DeeperDeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
OPI

1.) Collect and design some samples
2.) collect and design some synth sounds
3.) Read the reaper manual
4.) Arrange your sounds
5.) mix your sounds

Poof!

Seriously, it wont be "easy" in either fl or reaper. But i chose reaper because of price. Little did i know its a much better piece of software ( flexibility, ui, constant updates, stable),

You wont be able to make beats your happy with until you decide to take the time and invest in learning the daw and its tools that come with it. Thats why the reaper manual is so handy. Its the best written manual ive read and ive read abletons and fl's.

Tips:
Download some synths and samplers (yes the free ones are indeed good)
Learn how to design your own sounds
Learn how to use eq and compression for your desired style
Learn how to use sidechain compression
Learn how to make use of your sounds
Learn how to mess sounds up
Learn how to make terrible music before you make good music
Learn how to use your ears and only your ears
Learn how the best have made their songs and emulate
Download this http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=184714
Maybe not helpful but most of what your going to get here is pretty vague anyways.
OPI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Rkmusic

Build yourself a template of drums your favorite synths and efx.
Rkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
C-H

Learn how to use the "Sequencer Megababy' JS plugin.

Info & Tutorial, linked from Reaperblog.
C-H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
DeeperDeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post
Yeah, this comes close to what I'm looking for.
DeeperDeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
run_esc

There's a much deeper modified version of megababy called nandy's mod, in the stash.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
joelsampson

Your question/problem is the lack of a good integrated step sequencer. You can load your own drum kit .wav sounds using the built-in ReaSamplOmatic 5000 (which works well) or buy Poise ($50) which is pretty slick. There are several good tutorials on how to use ReaSamplOmatic.

As mentioned above, you might try Megababy for a step editor. I have found it somewhat awkard. I have been working with an Arturia Beatstep Pro, which so far, seems to be a good hardware method of working. I do the sequence on the Beatstep Pro and upload it to Reaper. If you use USB for the Aturia and MIDI for the MIDI you can have both the Aturia application and Reaper open at once. The Beatstep Pro is a standalone application, not a VST.

I own FL Studio and like the beat editor but found the work flow in general very difficult. It's not the way I think or work.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:02 AM   #8
X-Tech

FL 12 and i dont like this software - somehow i like it at same time.

Reaper beats. in most basic part

Reasamplomatic 5000
and

Reasamplomatic 5000
and

arrangement window and sounds
and

synths
+

what you want
Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
ashcat_lt

Reaper's piano roll editor isn't all that much different from a step editor except it's more flexible and powerful. If you really really want to only see one row of notes, you can just hide all the rest. MIDI item looping in the arrange window works very much like the pattern based arranging in FL.

The biggest hurdle starting from scratch is finding decent sounds. FLStudio (and most "big name/big money" DAWs) comes with a bunch of really decent synths that both sound pretty good and have relatively accessible user interfaces. Reaper comes with a bunch of relatively ugly and unintuitive but reasonably functional pieces that you can hack together into something that can sound pretty cool if you're into that whole "modular synthesizer, spaghetti wiring" thing, but to make that actually work you also need to have a pretty thorough understanding not only of underlying synthesis methods but also the routing and modulation systems in Reaper itself.

So you've got to go find those things. As mentioned above, there are a lot of really good free options out there, but you kind of need to know what you want. We've got a few threads around here about where to look for good free VSTis, but they really are just long lists of options. Maybe we could start a thread of people's recommended "starter kit" synths? Maybe even like "FL (Cubase, Sonar, etc...) has this, this, this and this, and here's the one plug I recommend in place of each".
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
RogerH

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-H View Post

Info & Tutorial, linked from Reaperblog.
+1
A really good step sequencer. Looks boring, but it's a very good creative tool.
I love it
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
rcl

I recently kinda asked the same thing. I find zFL studio to be super fast for midi. I am on a mission to put together RS5K and magababy with some templates to simulate the workflow. The quality samples are on the web. Charlatan eats any FL synth. Could do the drums as well if needed.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
rcl

I really would like to see this topic explored further. For example...

I think an inline piano roll limited to only used notes which would be one for most drum applications would work better than Megababy.

How do we get RS5k to open and load a drum sample that we double click on in the media browser.

It's gonna take some tool bars and Windowssets but I think Reaper can get really close.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #13
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsampson View Post
I own FL Studio and like the beat editor but found the work flow in general very difficult. It's not the way I think or work.
This is where I'm at too. I use FLS through ReWire to program beats and occasionally basslines - everything else is done in Reaper with megababy or manually. For more organic-sounding beats I use ezdrummmer.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #14
Swamp Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
The biggest hurdle starting from scratch is finding decent sounds. FLStudio (and most "big name/big money" DAWs) comes with a bunch of really decent synths that both sound pretty good and have relatively accessible user interfaces. Reaper comes with a bunch of relatively ugly and unintuitive but reasonably functional pieces that you can hack together into something that can sound pretty cool if you're into that whole "modular synthesizer, spaghetti wiring" thing, but to make that actually work you also need to have a pretty thorough understanding not only of underlying synthesis methods but also the routing and modulation systems in Reaper itself.
This is good to note too - Reaper doesn't have any samples and basically no synths, so you need to provide your own. Oatmeal and Synth1 are my go to free vstis, and I just started playing with Zebralette.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM   #15
run_esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
I really would like to see this topic explored further. For example...

I think an inline piano roll limited to only used notes which would be one for most drum applications would work better than Megababy.

How do we get RS5k to open and load a drum sample that we double click on in the media browser.

It's gonna take some tool bars and Windowssets but I think Reaper can get really close.
Hi, couple of tips:
The inline MIDI editor mirrors the note display settings of the relevant MIDI editor, so it can indeed display only used note (or only named note) rows. I do this all the time for editing drums in the arrange area. It will of course also show notes as drum diamonds if you want.

It's a bit buggy, though, like you'll lose the zoom setting occasionally and things like that, but it works. I'm hoping the devs put some love into the inline editor eventually. Set up right it's awesome as an inline drum editor. Have to remind myself, that sort of feature is more for the electronic music guys, and to this day Reaper caters more to the live recording types, but it's still excellent for electronic music and getting better all the time.

There are new actions in ReaPack, I believe from resident reascript genius mpl, that make it possible to for example send all selected items to note-sequential instances of RS5k, similar functions, just get ReaPack and search "RS5k" in the actions list (not RSM5k). These actions will be only the beginning, I'm sure other scripters will be adding RS5k stuff now that it recently became possible to do so.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #16
rcl

Ichecked into my REApack and it did have a script for automatically inserting an item into RS5k. I worked with the inline editor a little. I'll put some more time in tonite