Old 07-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #1
Rodilab
Human being with feelings

Default rodilab_Track name groups

rodilab_Track name groups
Version 1.40
Available in ReaPack

This track utility allows to select, show/hide, mute or solo a group of tracks by track name.
All tracks whose name starts with the entered name, and its children, are recognized by the script.
The name list are saved in each project.
  • Click on buttons to exclusive select, show/hide, mute or solo
  • [Any-modifier + left-click] to keep and add selection, show/hide, mute or solo
  • Click and drag to multiple select hide/mute/solo button
  • [Right-click] on name buttons to Edit, Insert new tracks, Remove or Clear all
  • Click on bottom crosses to show / unmute / unsolo all tracks
  • Buttons are automatically reordered according to the order of the tracks in the session
  • Drag and drop name buttons to move tracks
  • Buttons take the color of first track found

• Requirement :
    • ReaImGui: ReaScript binding for Dear ImGui (v0.5.1 or later)
    • SWS extension
    • JS Reascript API
Thanks to cfillion (for ReaImGui API and SWS)
Thanks to Ann-82 for his generous donation

Last edited by Rodilab; 07-13-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Rodilab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:10 AM   #2
vitalker

Looks nice!
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
Rodilab

Default Update v1.10

Update v1.10
  • Drag and drop name buttons to move tracks
  • New "Insert new track" on right click menu
  • New "Clear all" on right click menu
  • New text input no-popup widget when add or edit names
  • Displays the default track color of the Reaper theme

Last edited by Rodilab; 07-05-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
tonalstates

Awesome! A few things...

Is it possible to try adding a "drag to engage" function thing that you can do on the TCP with mute and solo buttons where you solo one track and drag up or down to solo/unsolo others i.e. (?)

Also make it possible to Rick click > "Insert new track" after adding a tag "+" since you can only insert a track from the already created tags and not from new ones you may create

Thanks still! very useful

Edit: Also sometimes the RMB doesn't work for some reason, i have to click something else and click back for it to engage. weird.

Os Mojave
R v6.30

Last edited by tonalstates; 07-06-2021 at 10:41 PM.
tonalstates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #5
Rodilab

Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonalstates View Post
Is it possible to try adding a "drag to engage" function thing that you can do on the TCP with mute and solo buttons where you solo one track and drag up or down to solo/unsolo others i.e. (?)
I'm agree, this Reaper feature is very useful. I'm trying to code that, but it's not easy...
In the next version I hope

Quote:
Also make it possible to Rick click > "Insert new track" after adding a tag "+" since you can only insert a track from the already created tags and not from new ones you may create
I'm not sure I understand this point.
The interest of the "Insert new track" function is to create a track with an incremented name, of the same color, and following the already existing tracks.
If no track with the name of the tag exists, then there is no more interest. This is the same as creating a track manually with Reaper.
Isn't it ?

Quote:
Edit: Also sometimes the RMB doesn't work for some reason, i have to click something else and click back for it to engage. weird.
Yes, if the window is unfocused then you have to left-click anywhere first, and then right-click.
I agree, it's annoying. But it's a limitation I can't seem to fix. I'm trying to see with Cfillion if it can be fixed in ReaImGui.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:41 AM   #6
Sumalc

thank you, it's very useful and it communicates well with the colour scheme
Sumalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #7
tonalstates

Hey! Just came back from work and saw that you updated it! Awesomeeee, it works great now, thank you so much, and sorry, English is not my first language so sometimes i struggle to describe technical processes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodilab View Post
I'm not sure I understand this point.
The interest of the "Insert new track" function is to create a track with an incremented name, of the same color, and following the already existing tracks.
If no track with the name of the tag exists, then there is no more interest. This is the same as creating a track manually with Reaper.
Isn't it ?
Yeah, That's right, what I was thinking was from the fresh "New project" stand point where you don't have any tracks still so I open your script, add a new tag and then Right click to add a new track with it but now that I think about it, yeah, it would probably be better to just make a new track in the TCP.

What I was now thinking on this same thing is how maybe you could implement a way for the script to already know what tracks or folders one has already created so you just click on a grayed out tab(s) that displays the name (maybe) and it automatically adds it, I think the script "spk77_track tags" does this but tbh I like the look, feel and overall use of your script more so adding that would make it better imo since it would save a bunch of clicking back and forth between selecting a track, going back to the script, "+", writing the name (again), right click, add track, repeat for 10 instrument groups and Fx, etc. So yeah, seems helpful to me.

Still, thanks for everything, I'm just throwing wishes here.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:47 PM   #8
Rodilab

Default Update v1.20

Update v1.20
  • Drag to multiple select hide/mute/solo button
  • Option in settings to undisplay show, mute and solo buttons
  • Fix reorder tracks by drag and drop bug with child tracks
  • Improves the behavior of the show, solo and mute buttons
  • Click on select button doesn’t lost the window focus anymore
Old 07-08-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
Ann-82

Hi Rodilab,

thank you, i'm really enjoing this script! It would be amazing if you could add some zooming option for future release.
Ann-82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #10
Rodilab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-82 View Post
Hi Rodilab,

thank you, i'm really enjoing this script! It would be amazing if you could add some zooming option for future release.
You are welcome
Great idea !
Old 07-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #11
Gianfini

Could we select tracks that "contains" a text, not only "beginning" with that text?

So if you insert the word "Piano", 01-Piano would be selected as well as Piano001

thanks
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:05 AM   #12
Ann-82

Hello Rodilab,

i'm having some issue with soloing my groups. I can't get any sound soloing the tracks through your script. If i do it manually everythings works well. Any idea?

Thank you.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #13
Rodilab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Could we select tracks that "contains" a text, not only "beginning" with that text?

So if you insert the word "Piano", 01-Piano would be selected as well as Piano001

thanks
Hi,
Ok, I will add an "Starts with / Contains" option on next version

Quote:
i'm having some issue with soloing my groups. I can't get any sound soloing the tracks through your script. If i do it manually everythings works well. Any idea?
Mhh... weird... I can't reproduce this bug at home.
If you now more, please let me know
Old 07-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #14
Ann-82

Quote:
Hi,
Ok, I will add an "Starts with / Contains" option on next version

Mhh... weird... I can't reproduce this bug at home.
If you now more, please let me know
Hi Rodilab,

i found out this: if i group my tracks into a folder the solo botton works fine. But routing that folder to an AUX (instead of going straight out to master send) the solo doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by Ann-82; 07-09-2021 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
Rodilab

Ok, I undestand. It will fix on next version.

The explanation :
If you send your track to an AUX track instead of to the master, and you set your track to "normal solo", then since your AUX track is not solo, you won't hear anything.
That's why Reaper proposes a "Solo in place" and a "Solo (ignore routing)". You can see them by right-clicking on the solo button of Reaper.
My script applies the "Solo (ignore routing)". I will modify it so that it applies the "Solo in place".
Old 07-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #16
Ann-82

Quote:
Ok, I undestand. It will fix on next version.

The explanation :
If you send your track to an AUX track instead of to the master, and you set your track to "normal solo", then since your AUX track is not solo, you won't hear anything.
That's why Reaper proposes a "Solo in place" and a "Solo (ignore routing)". You can see them by right-clicking on the solo button of Reaper.
My script applies the "Solo (ignore routing)". I will modify it so that it applies the "Solo in place".
Thanks for explaining!
Old 07-10-2021, 12:27 AM   #17
Rodilab

Default Update v1.30

Update v1.30
  • Double click on tag button to vertical zoom on tracks
  • New "Track name [Start with / Contains] name" option in settings
  • New insert multiple tracks feature
  • "Insert new tracks" can be done on tags that do not exist yet
  • Remplace "Solo (ignore routing)" with "Solo in place"
  • Fix solo button behavior
  • Fix undo block bug
Old 07-10-2021, 12:43 AM   #18
Ann-82

Thank you Rodilab for the update! It works great!

A little question, when i close and restart reaper i lose my groups name. I guess is not possible to save the name within the session right?
Old 07-10-2021, 01:16 AM   #19
Rodilab

The tags are saved with the session. If you open a new session, then tag list is empty.
Your tag list is not saved with session ?

I'm looking that point, and I think the list is not saved if you quit Reaper before close the script... I'm fixing that.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #20
Rodilab

Quote:
Yeah, That's right, what I was thinking was from the fresh "New project" stand point where you don't have any tracks still so I open your script, add a new tag and then Right click to add a new track with it but now that I think about it, yeah, it would probably be better to just make a new track in the TCP.
Actual version have a "Insert new tracks" action in right-click menu, with a custom number of new tracks. Including tags with no tracks yet.

Quote:
What I was now thinking on this same thing is how maybe you could implement a way for the script to already know what tracks or folders one has already created so you just click on a grayed out tab(s) that displays the name (maybe) and it automatically adds it, I think the script "spk77_track tags" does this but tbh I like the look, feel and overall use of your script more so adding that would make it better imo since it would save a bunch of clicking back and forth between selecting a track, going back to the script, "+", writing the name (again), right click, add track, repeat for 10 instrument groups and Fx, etc. So yeah, seems helpful to me.
Next version will proposes the first selected track name when adding new tag

Last edited by Rodilab; 07-10-2021 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #21
tonalstates

Awesome! Your script is turning out really cool and useful, thanks for that. Hopefully I'm not being overwhelming with these requests hahaha sorry about that.

May I add that it would be great to add another double click on the same zoomed in tag but now to zoom back out? If possible of course. It was something I kind of intuitively tried doing but wasn't there.

Also maybe an option to not add the "-01,-02.." suffix when adding new tracks from the script.

Again, thanks for everything.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #22
Rodilab

Quote:
Awesome! Your script is turning out really cool and useful, thanks for that. Hopefully I'm not being overwhelming with these requests hahaha sorry about that.
Don't worry, you are not being overwhelming
When I like an idea, I add it. The idea must be useful, and it must be able to be integrated without making the interface too complex.
This improves the script. Thanks for yours propositions.

Quote:
May I add that it would be great to add another double click on the same zoomed in tag but now to zoom back out? If possible of course. It was something I kind of intuitively tried doing but wasn't there.
Not easy one. Because there are many cases to consider.
Either return to the previous zoom state or minimize all tracks.
And what happens if the user changes the zoom manually in the meantime?
This would mean that the zoom state of each track must be saved before and after the action by the script.
I'll think about the best way to do this.

Quote:
Also maybe an option to not add the "-01,-02.." suffix when adding new tracks from the script.
Ideally, the user should be able to choose the format of the track name. "Name-01", or "01 Name", or "Name (01)" or just "Name", etc...
I'll think about the best way to include this option.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #23
tapemelancholy

Great work!
Very user-friendly script!
I use track tags a lot in my work and it would be great to switch to your version due to drag and drop, auto-coloring and better elements arrange.
I will definitely monitor the progress of development
I tried to implement it to my setup and here are my observations. Most of them are based on heda's track tags:

1. It would be great if the buttons were a little bit darker. Sometimes it's hard to read the text.

2. I would also like to have a way to create buttons from selected tracks rather than typing the tag name

3. It would be cool if you can also scroll to selected tracks by single clicking on tag button

4.It will be much more usable if previous mutes of tracks will be saved even after clicking on unmute in the script

5. Also I have an issue with double-clicking on button. However this is most likely a special case since I use separators and they have a locked height

perhaps many of these things have already been pointed out

Thanks again for your work!
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #24
tonalstates

Quote:
Thanks for yours propositions.
Thank you for implementing them. Glad I can contribute in any way.

Quote:
Not easy one. Because there are many cases to consider.
Either return to the previous zoom state or minimize all tracks.
And what happens if the user changes the zoom manually in the meantime?
This would mean that the zoom state of each track must be saved before and after the action by the script.
I'll think about the best way to do this.
Yeah, I understand, hopefully there's a way.

Quote:
I'll think about the best way to include this option.
Thanks!

It just occurred to me while working with the script of maybe using the right click on the view, solo, mute columns as a Shift+LMB where you add or subtract tracks to the current selection without clearing past selection as is currently default, like same behavior as LMB but without clearing past selections, enabling RMB drag to deselect, de-solo and de-mute multiple tags also i.e. or a modifier maybe? idk, this coming from the same place as tapemelancholy's point #4
Old 07-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #25
Ann-82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapemelancholy View Post
Great work!
Very user-friendly script!
I use track tags a lot in my work and it would be great to switch to your version due to drag and drop, auto-coloring and better elements arrange.
I will definitely monitor the progress of development
I tried to implement it to my setup and here are my observations. Most of them are based on heda's track tags:

1. It would be great if the buttons were a little bit darker. Sometimes it's hard to read the text.

2. I would also like to have a way to create buttons from selected tracks rather than typing the tag name

3. It would be cool if you can also scroll to selected tracks by single clicking on tag button

4.It will be much more usable if previous mutes of tracks will be saved even after clicking on unmute in the script

5. Also I have an issue with double-clicking on button. However this is most likely a special case since I use separators and they have a locked height

perhaps many of these things have already been pointed out

Thanks again for your work!
Hello Tapemelancholy, sorry for my question out of topic but your theme looks great and i was wondering if i could find it in stash.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:25 AM   #26
Ann-82

Hi Rodilab,

i want report also another behaviour that it might be interesting for you. I've noticed that when i release the buttons (unsolo, unmute or hide and show) is going to effects all the tracks involved in the project even those hided in in track manager. This means that if i have muted some tracks consciously i'm going to lose my setting. If there is any work around for this, it would be fantastic.

Last edited by Ann-82; 07-12-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:29 PM   #27
Rodilab

Default Update v1.40

Update v1.40
  • Auto add folder names option
  • Propose the name of the first selected track when adding a new tag
  • Second double click minimize all tracks
  • Darker colors
  • Custom index format in settings
  • Vertical scroll to track when click on tag button
  • Fix duplicate tags
  • Fix vertical zoom bug with track heigth locked
Old 07-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #28
tonalstates

Aw mann this script is soo nice hahah awesome, will def donate when i can.

One thing I noticed is that the second double click to minimize tracks doesn't seem to work here, i don't know is it's my OS or anything, (Os mojave;Reaper 6.31) it only works after I do a double click on another tag but then that other track gets bigger when I don't need it and so on. I can screen record if you need.

Also, why not add modifiers? Like maybe alt + click to delete a tag, or command + drag to duplicate the tag (and track) maybe.

Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:51 AM   #29
Rodilab

Quote:
Aw mann this script is soo nice hahah awesome, will def donate when i can.
Thanks

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that the second double click to minimize tracks doesn't seem to work here, i don't know is it's my OS or anything, (Os mojave;Reaper 6.31) it only works after I do a double click on another tag but then that other track gets bigger when I don't need it and so on. I can screen record if you need.
That's wired. Works fine at home (macOS 10.15.7).
If you have more clues, I am interested.

Quote:
Also, why not add modifiers? Like maybe alt + click to delete a tag, or command + drag to duplicate the tag (and track) maybe.
Yes, I am waiting a bit for all the features to be completed. For my "Color palette" script I had to change several times the shortcuts mods as I was adding features, I would like to avoid that this time.
But I'm thinking about :
  • Alt-click on tag button to delete
  • Cmd-click on show/mute/solo buttons to show/unmute/unsolo all
  • Alt-click on show/mute/solo buttons to show/mute/solo all others

Duplicate the tags can't work. The tags works by name, so they are uniques. Duplicate names are deleted by the script.
Old 07-14-2021, 07:46 PM   #30
tonalstates

Ok, so this happened. Apparently it's not the script but maybe my session?
I recorded my screen so you can see what happens.

On a new unsaved project it does seem to work but going back to a bigger session (64 tracks, ton of items) it doesn't zoom out, also notice the "Ana" pink folder, that on the track changed to orange, at first it was fine as far as i remember, then it happened. I restarted the session and it stayed the same, also not shown in the video (sorry) is that those tags can't be deleted, it does show the right click menu but it doesn't do anything when selecting "remove" or "clear all". Even after reinstalling the script it doesn't seem to work on that session.

Also, there's something weird I bumped into when changing tabs, I don't know if it's because it's an unsaved project or if it's even relevant but see how changing tabs with the script running kinda kills the new tab's tags? thought it was weird.

https://youtu.be/MyDGCRb8q_w

Ah ok, that makes sense to add the modifiers later, no biggie, don't really need them per se but the script would be better with them indeed. A modifier to both show and mute & another to show and solo would be interesting.

Last edited by tonalstates; 07-14-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 04:12 AM   #31
Rodilab

Thanks for this report.

Quote:
On a new unsaved project it does seem to work but going back to a bigger session (64 tracks, ton of items) it doesn't zoom out
Weird... I can't reproduce this bug at home... I don't understand why... I will search

Quote:
also notice the "Ana" pink folder, that on the track changed to orange, at first it was fine as far as i remember, then it happened. I restarted the session and it stayed the same
Weird too... I can't reproduce this bug at home either.

Quote:
also not shown in the video (sorry) is that those tags can't be deleted, it does show the right click menu but it doesn't do anything when selecting "remove" or "clear all". Even after reinstalling the script it doesn't seem to work on that session.
This is normal if "Auto add folder names" is enable in settings. You remove it, but it's auto added immediately after.
You could enable the "auto" option juste once, then disable this option, and then remove what you want.

Quote:
Also, there's something weird I bumped into when changing tabs, I don't know if it's because it's an unsaved project or if it's even relevant but see how changing tabs with the script running kinda kills the new tab's tags? thought it was weird.
This will be fix for next version. Thanks for reporting.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #32
Rodilab

Update v1.41
  • "Auto-remove empty tags" option
  • Fix multiple project tabs bug
  • New key modifiers (right-click on buttons to more info)
  • First right click give window focus
  • Add "Track name ends with the tag" option
Old 07-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #33
Rodilab

I think I found the reason for the minimize bug.
If at least one track is hidden, then the second double click does not minimize.
Is this the case for you ?

I will fix that
Old 07-16-2021, 09:33 AM   #34
tonalstates

Heey, just dropping by before going to work so sorry I can't answer everything but I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKDf_Us3jSM

Apparently it's when you minimize a folder that it happens, also maybe when hiding a track ( I didn't try it sorry) but yeah, it's at least something.

Thanks for the updates too. Have a good day!
Old 07-20-2021, 03:40 AM   #35
tapemelancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-82 View Post
Hello Tapemelancholy, sorry for my question out of topic but your theme looks great and i was wondering if i could find it in stash.

Thanks.
This is my custom theme, unfortunately I haven't finished it yet. I will definitely post it in the future, I think it turned out much more convenient than most existing themes (At least for me )
tapemelancholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #36
Ann-82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapemelancholy View Post
This is my custom theme, unfortunately I haven't finished it yet. I will definitely post it in the future, I think it turned out much more convenient than most existing themes (At least for me )
Thank you, i'm really looking forward to it
Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #37
Skorobagatko

Is it possible to make it exclude hidden tracks when clicking "white cross" button?

For example it reveals heda's track inspector track which I don't need to see

Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #38
tonalstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post

Sorry, I don't want to be that guy but.. What theme is that? Looks nice.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:13 AM   #39
Ann-82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Is it possible to make it exclude hidden tracks when clicking "white cross" button?

For example it reveals heda's track inspector track which I don't need to see

This is also a good point, I was wishing something similar here above with solo and mute bottons. The tracks lose their actual state after using the scripts toggles.

This could be an amazing improvement.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #40
Tobbe

Hi,

Now I have the same problem with this plugin. It takes over the whole screen, and this trick https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=59 doesn't work for this one. I have uninstalled, remove the line in reaper-extstate.ini, and re-install. No luck.

Where to look?

Thanks